I❤️JV

Prospects Dreamers and Busts

3J showed that he is a real deal. More than that, after talking to 3J in summer league JV's impresion about young man skyrocketed. 3J was saying how he does not care one bit about his personal achievements and his stats and just wants to do what's best for the team to win and be as useful as possible for the team. If you think this is common among young guys or even so called stars, it is not. Selfishness for NBA "star" Kyrie, Westbrook, Chris Paul, Brawn, Tatum, Ingram,etc. or even worse a role player who sees himself as a star Terry Rozier, Whiteside,DeMarcus Cousins or Carmelo is a default setting. Even Demar Derozan. It's hard with Demar as he and Jonas are really good friends off the court, but there is no denying that he was the main obstacle for JV to achieving his best. The best examples how to be a star and a team player is Mike and Victor Oladipo.   

Credit to his family for mentality like that. Credit to Mike and Marc (somewhat) for mentoring him in his first season. 3J is going to have an awesome future and JV is more than happy to help and mentor (as much as 3J needs)to become the best he can be.

I must admit i was a bit jealous about 3J's role on a team and how he can overshadow JV, but now seeing that this young man made of the good stuff i have nothing but love for him.

Positive thing for the Grizz, because of 3J's character there is a very good chance he will stay in Memphis after his first 7 years and make Grizz play offs team for a decade or more.

JV was impressed with Ja as well, did not spend as much time with him as with 3J, but young man was saying all the right things. We will see how good he is as a player and a teammate.

His attitude is very good he obviously is awesome fasilitator and should be really good player. PG position is the hardest on a team and we should not expect miracles in a first year, but i hope we are pleasantly surprised in the second part of the season. There is always a chance he could be Markelle Fultz, but it is so small that i am feeling stupid to even thing about that possibility. Mike was JV's favorite Grizz after the trade and even Jonas understands why the trade happened it was hard for him to see him go.Ja has Ginormous shoes to fill.

Andre Iguodala,Jae Crowder,Solomon Hill,Miles Plumlee,Ivan Rabb has no future in Memphis. Andre Iguodala,Jae Crowder  are assets others could be marginal players or most likely not in the NBA next year.

Tyus Jones is a descent backup i do not see him becoming  a starter or a bust.

Marko Guduric it will depend how he can translate his game into NBA, has more chance to be a bust than a starter, most likely solid on a lower end back up.

Kyle Anderson could start this year, but he is not an NBA starter, solid back up on a higher end at the small forward.

De'Anthony Melton is a good defender and probably has NBA future as a back up.

Josh Jackson I know some of you expect a miracle , i do not. Josh is dictionary definition of a bust.I would be amazed if he could turned it around, but i expect this is his last season in the NBA.

Grayson Allen 20% back up 5% starter 75% bust.

Dillon Brooks, Bruno Caboclo and Brandon Clarke are the players with the future potential.

Dillon Brooks will probably start next season as a Shooting guard. I expect he will be decent not spectacular place holder for the future pick. It is possible he will be a starter in the future, but i would not bet on it.

Bruno Caboclo oh Bruno. The most frustrating player on a team. Unbelievable physical gifts and such a mental midget. It is possible he can mature enough, has time with sports psychologist and becomes a star. If i am Grizz FO, i would do everything i can to help him this season. If he can overcome his mental deficiencies he could be the one for the future. Chances are he won't, but as this season is free of any expectations, it is perfect opportunity to see if we could polish this Brazilian diamond or all we have is just a shiny piece of glass.

Brandon Clarke is not going to be a bust. He is at least high end back up with really high sealing. Will be fun to watch him grow.

p.s. After JV got traded to the Grizz, i couldn't care less about Memphis, Grizzlies past, present or the future. Now i do care not only about Jonas future, but Grizz too.

Consider me converted 

Go Grizz

On 9/4/2019 at 2:17 PM, I❤️JV said:

If FO cuts Bruno and not Rabb that would be sooooo stupid. 

That would make me punch of a window 

3 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

That would make me punch of a window 

I'd check to be sure it's not safety glass you're punching

Very good article from Daily Memphian.

https://dailymemphian.com/article/7684/10-questions-ahead-of-Grizzlies-media-day-and-training-camp

as you need a subscription ....i'll copy paste.

1. Can Jaren Jackson Jr. and Jonas Valanciunas share the leadership mantle as well as the frontcourt?

Last season, with Mike Conley and Marc Gasol still around and teenager Jaren Jackson Jr. arriving, the Grizzlies media day theme was unmistakably “generation gap.” This time, it might be “who’s filling the leadership void?”

As a reigning All-Rookie First-Team finisher with a big personality and an even bigger assortment of on-court tools, Jackson is an established cornerstone.

Valanciunas is the oldest player on the roster not on an expiring contract. He’s demonstrated more NBA production than anyone in this locker room — including a 20/10 cameo in Memphis last season. He was the leader of his competitive national team at the World Cup this summer. And he just signed a three-year deal to return to Memphis. 

Whose team is this? 

Last season, the on-court relationship between Jackson and Marc Gasol — Gasol atop the pecking order, but a willing and able set-up man — was a good fit, but the off-court chemistry was a little wonky. There was mutual respect and good intention, but it didn’t really seem to click, with Gasol having one foot out the door. 

We didn’t get to see much of Jackson/Valanciunas. The latter has more of a low-block go-to-guy’s game. Can that style blend with Jackson as he hopefully asserts himself as a primary scorer? 

Off the floor, both are good-natured and good-humored, but can they share influence as productively as the Grizzlies will hope they share touches? 

2. How ready is Ja Morant?

For all the excitement over rookie Morant, no one has seen him play in a basketball game outside of college. 

How ready is he? The Grizzlies would probably like to give Morant the rock from the season’s opening tip. But if it feels like too much too soon for Morant, the Grizzlies have a more-than-able caretaker in off-season signee Tyus Jones. 

We’ll start to hear reports on Morant out of Grizzlies’ training camp, but the start of Grizzlies preseason — especially the second game on October 8, against the New Zealand Breakers and lottery prospect guard R.J. Hampton — should be more intriguing and meaningful than usual, and primarily because of Morant. 

3. Are Dillon Brooks and Kyle Anderson fully recovered from season-ending injuries?

Brooks (ruptured toe) and Anderson (shoulder surgery) were both non-participants as last season ended. 

Brooks did not pursue a spot on the Canadian National Team for the FIBA World Cup this summer but was expected to be ready for the start of the season. 

That was also the initial prognosis on Anderson, but he had more serious surgery more recently. Apparently, Anderson has resumed shooting, which is a good sign. The operating assumption here is that Anderson will need to ease into his return a little more slowly, but it’s just guessing at this point.

The expectation here is that the Grizzlies will issue some kind of official injury update before the start of camp. 

4. What is Taylor Jenkins’ plan?

The Grizzlies’ new head coach has touted a more NBA-modern pace-and-space style of play, which would be in accordance with the Mike Budenholzer-helmed teams for which Jenkins was an assistant in both Milwaukee and Atlanta.

A few markers: Last season, the Bucks were fourth in the percentage of points generated from 3-point range, fifth in pace of play and near the bottom third of the league in frequency of post-up plays, all per NBA.com.

Similarly, the Budenholzer/Jenkins Hawks team from two years ago was fifth in percentage of points off 3s, eighth in pace and dead last in post-up frequency. 

Past performance doesn’t mean much for the Grizzlies given how fully the roster has turned over in the past 12 months, but the nature of the team’s talent does.

Jenkins will inherit a team whose two best players may be a 6-11 (at least) forward/center in Jackson and a 7-foot old-school center in Valanciunas. Can that team play fast and downplay the post?

Can this team lean heavily into 3-point shooting? Jenkins inherits only three players with career NBA 3-point percentages north of 35%. Two of them are Brooks and Jackson, both at 35.9% in a combined career 158 games. The other is actually Valanciunas, who’s at 35.7% on only 126 attempts in seven seasons. 

The question for Jenkins will be whether to adapt style of play — or at least emphasis — around the talent he has or to focus on establishing a style of play that fits the talent the team will develop and pursue going forward. 

5. Will the Andre Iguodala situation be resolved before the season begins? 

The biggest question ahead of media day got answered on Monday afternoon, when we reported that the Grizzlies and Iguodala had reached a mutual understanding that would keep the veteran forward out of Grizzlies training camp but still on the team’s roster.

Iguodala will stay away from the Grizzlies while the team continues to pursue trade options. Will this get sorted out before the season starts?

Perhaps, but probably not. Maybe increased certainty that Iguodala will not be waived or bought out — at least not until after Febuary’s trade deadline — will spur some Iguodala suitors into action now. 

But the working assumption seems to be that a trade is not likely to occur until at least December 15th, the date when players who signed free agent contracts this summer are eligible to be dealt. 

With the Grizzlies currently at 17 full-roster players for only 15 spots, keeping Iguodala into the season will mean cutting (or trading) two other players rather than just one. We’ll return to that in a bit. 

6. Will Jae Crowder be dealt before Iguodala?

We’ll likely be on Iguodala Trade Watch for at least a few months. But will he be the first meaningful Grizzlies player dealt?

Keep an eye on Crowder. A veteran forward acquired in the Mike Conley deal, Crowder is highly likely to break camp with the Grizzlies, and a good bet to be in the opening night starting lineup. But on an expiring contract with a rebuilding team, he’s basically a lower-profile but lower-cost version of Iguodala. (Crowder’s on a $7.8 million expiring contract to Iguodala’s $17.2 million.) 

Crowder could end up starting at small forward for the Grizzlies, but for most contending teams his utility will be as a small-ball power forward. On the “Lowe Post” podcast this week, ESPN’s Zach Lowe noted that there are several teams with a need at power forward (Celtics, Jazz, Blazers, Nets) and several power forwards likely to be on the market (Crowder, Kevin Love, several members of the Knicks and Magic). Lowe surmised that one of those sellers would be wise to strike quickly. Might it be the Grizzlies?  

7. Now that we have (some) clarity on Iguodala, what about Josh Jackson? 

The drama, such as it was, around Iguodala has obscured an equally unsettled situation around forward Josh Jackson.

The fourth overall pick in the 2017 draft, Jackson came to the Grizzlies along with teammate De’Anthony Melton in a summer trade with the Phoenix Suns. While Melton was around the Grizzlies at the Las Vegas Summer League and has been spotted around team events in Memphis, Jackson has not been seen and rarely mentioned. 

A disappointment on the court through two seasons, Jackson’s bigger problems have come off the floor, from no-showing team commitments in Phoenix to spending part of this summer in a diversionary program stemming from some misdemeanor charges. 

Do the Grizzlies view Jackson, age 22, as a high-upside lottery ticket worth keeping or simply the sunk cost required in a trade targeting Melton and a couple of draft picks? 

With two players to cut in order to get down to 15, there’s real reason to wonder if Jackson will make it out of camp with the Grizzlies. But is there also reason to wonder if he will even make it to camp?

Whether Iguodala would be at media day was a question that got resolved this week. Here’s betting the same question for Jackson, whatever the answer, is no longer a mystery come Monday. 

8. What contract decisions will be made?

Ivan Rabb’s contract fully guarantees on October 19, per some reports. (I can only confirm mid-October.) This would be after the Grizzlies’ preseason schedule but before the start of the regular season. 

Rabb is scheduled to represent the team on Thursday afternoon at a “block party” event, so we’ll assume he’ll open camp with the team. 

Will Rabb make it past his guarantee date? If so, he would join Brooks, Josh Jackson, Jaren Jackson Jr. and Grayson Allen on a list of players who require some contract decisions by the end of October. 

Brooks and Rabb, if he’s still around, are eligible for early contract extensions before they could become restricted free agents next summer. That won’t happen with Rabb. It’s probably unlikely with Brooks coming off his injuries, but the Grizzlies have shown a lot of organizational investment in him. Would they consider making a multiyear commitment now big enough for Brooks to sign? (The guess here is that this doesn’t happen and Brooks goes into restricted free agency next summer.)

The two Jacksons and Allen have team options for the 2020-2021 season that need to be exercised by Oct. 31. For Jaren Jackson Jr., it’s certain the Grizzlies will pick up his third-year option. Even if Josh Jackson remains on the Grizzlies’ roster this season, it seems unlikely the Grizzlies would be willing to exercise his $8.9 million option for 2020-2021. 

The most uncertain decision would seem to be for Allen, whose option for 2020-2021 is $2.5 million. That number is low enough that Allen would probably have to be really bad in training camp/preseason for the Grizzlies to not pick it up. 

9. How soon will a pecking order emerge on the wing?

Crowder will play a significant role as long as he’s here and presumably Anderson will as well whenever he’s at full strength.

But if the long-term trajectories of Jaren Jackson Jr., Morant and (to a lesser degree) Brandon Clarke are perhaps the most important components of this Grizzlies season, a secondary one will be the search for additional keepers.

Barring the unexpected, the Grizzlies will begin camp with seven relatively unproven young players at scoring guard and/or small forward: Brooks, Josh Jackson, Melton, Allen, Serbian import Marko Guduric   and two-way playersJohn Konchar and Yuta Watanabe. 

There are only so many minutes and rotation spots — and roster spots — to go around. Will a pecking order among these players begin to take shape in training camp?  

10. How will the roster-spot endgame play out?

Again: 17 players for 15 spots. Assuming both Iguodala and Crowder are still on the roster when the regular season starts, who will go?

The easiest cuts are Rabb and Bruno Caboclo, both on small contracts that aren’t fully guaranteed. Rabb has to be on the bubble, but it would be a considerable surprise to see the Grizzlies cut bait on Caboclo this soon.

Josh Jackson, on the books for $7.1 million next season, is a question unto himself: Do the Grizzlies believe in his talent relative to his red flags enough to take a shot at keeping him?

And then there are the players who pretty clearly have the least long-term on-court value for the franchise: Solomon Hill ($12.8 million expiring contract) and Miles Plumlee ($12.5 million expiring contract), the two players acquired from Atlanta in the Chandler Parsons deal.

The Grizzlies actually took back slightly more total salary obligation in that deal, while adding to their roster-space crunch. They apparently did so in the belief that the midsized expiring contracts of Hill and Plumlee would have trade utility in-season. Are they willing now to swallow one or both of those deals for a roster spot? 

On 9/4/2019 at 8:42 AM, I❤️JV said:

Bruno Caboclo oh Bruno. The most frustrating player on a team. Unbelievable physical gifts and such a mental midget.

Whoa
Bruno has played well as a Grizzlie. He's a threat on the perimeter and handles the ball well enough. He has made good decisions I've observed. He is still a prospect no more or less than Dillon and Clark

I'd be surprised if Bruno got cut. If they don't move Iguodiva, it will be 2 of Rabb, Melton, Allen