Sign in to follow this  
I❤️JV

COMPLETE GUIDE TO 2019 FIBA WORLD CUP

On 9/2/2019 at 11:21 AM, BigHunkALove said:

Lithuania will lose to Australia

Bump

Oi Oi Oi

Despite the supposed lack of superstars, the WC is giving a number of very good games even in the initial stages. Looking forward to the 2nd round.

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

Despite the supposed lack of superstars, the WC is giving a number of very good games even in the initial stages. Looking forward to the 2nd round.

When will games start being shown on TV? I know there are probably some, uhh, streams I could find online but I’m surprised some of these games haven’t even been on ESPN 2 or ESPN News. 

Congrats to Australia, they got the early jump that was too big for LTU to overcome and they shot the lights out with 3's.  BUT, most impressive takeway from LTU perspective is their head coach....just started finding out abut this guy during the Memphis interviews, press conferences etc...how is this guy not coaching in the NBA?  He say's it like it is, he seems to command control, and his basketball IQ is off the charts....why is he not coaching somewhere in the NBA?

16 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

When will games start being shown on TV? I know there are probably some, uhh, streams I could find online but I’m surprised some of these games haven’t even been on ESPN 2 or ESPN News. 

I was thinking the same thing. NBATV is really blowing it by not covering the games live. 

It's honestly unfathomable to me that there wasn't a single channel that thought it'd be worth their while to pick these games up.  What, ESPN 7, you actually thought the midwest regional high school dart tournament was going to be a bigger sell than the most important international basketball tournament there is featuring some of the NBA's biggest stars?  Baffling.  

This game was over by half time. Australia was shooting lights out, LTU missed a ton of shots. The ozzies 1st half domination set the tone for the game. Even though LTU staged a valiant comeback in the second half, it was not good enough for the W. Australia contained JV (7 pts, 7 reb) and Sabonis (12 pts, 4 reb). I think that Australia with 4 NBA players on the roster (vs 2 for LTU) was a factor. Props to Australia for playing well at both ends of the court. 

5 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

The games can be watched live at livebasketball.tv for 7€. I don’t know if they have the streaming rights in the US but if they do that would be 8 or 9 bucks for all the games.

20 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

The games can be watched live at livebasketball.tv for 7€. I don’t know if they have the streaming rights in the US but if they do that would be 8 or 9 bucks for all the games.

Thanks; seems ESPN+ has the rights in the US, because I just checked and the livebasketball site has the following: "*Unavailable in Australia and USA. Other geo-restrictions may apply." So probably just ESPN getting greedy and trying to get people to sign up for ESPN+ unfortunately.

55 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

Thanks; seems ESPN+ has the rights in the US, because I just checked and the livebasketball site has the following: "*Unavailable in Australia and USA. Other geo-restrictions may apply." So probably just ESPN getting greedy and trying to get people to sign up for ESPN+ unfortunately.

Sorry to hear. That’s stupid to be honest, nobody is going to sign for ESPN+ just to watch two weeks worth of international games.

2 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

The big companies are getting too greedy. Does ESPN+ have like a one month free trial? If so, problem solved. I am watching from Canada on a sports streaming service called DAZN. They stream a lot of different sports. They have the rights to stream FIBA WC in Canada, but not the USA (maybe next WC?). DAZN has a 1 month free trial, which works out to be quite budget friendly for a 2 week tournament! They don't stream NBA yet  :(  but just about everything else. In the USA the cost is $100 per year for their service. The video quality is very good (looks like 1080 HD). Stream to TV, PC, mobile or any device. If you want to check it out:  www.dazn.com 

Just watched the Brazil win over Montenegro. Bruno was great on the boards, both rebounds and blocks. Too bad his shooting was off today, as in WAY off - 0% shooting across the board, for zero points!!! Gives the phrase "Bruno Bomb" a whole new meaning 😄

What's up with Vucevic? He only played 13 minutes for Montenegro and while on the floor, he didn't have his head in the game. Is that why he got benched for the whole 4th quarter? He didn't look hurt at all. Maybe the coach hurt his feelings? 😥 High drama in the Montenegro dressing room! 

11 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Patty Mills is on fire, and LTU has missed too many easy shots. Looks like this one is going down under.

🤣

9 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

It's honestly unfathomable to me that there wasn't a single channel that thought it'd be worth their while to pick these games up.  What, ESPN 7, you actually thought the midwest regional high school dart tournament was going to be a bigger sell than the most important international basketball tournament there is featuring some of the NBA's biggest stars?  Baffling.  

Funniest comment of the day!!!

3 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Where's all the Lietuvans today?

I was just thinking that myself. No post game comments from JEGAAAA or I❤️JV. They must be taking it pretty hard. Or maybe they are currently preparing their next super loooooooooooooooooooooong post?

Aussie play well, they deserve the win. A bad day for JV, it happen. did not shoot a lot and was not good in defense as  well. But Sabonis was not much better, credit to big Australian guys. 

Tomorrow France- Lithuania, GO FRANCE !!!!

20 hours ago, GameOn said:

This game was over by half time. Australia was shooting lights out, LTU missed a ton of shots. The ozzies 1st half domination set the tone for the game. Even though LTU staged a valiant comeback in the second half, it was not good enough for the W. Australia contained JV (7 pts, 7 reb) and Sabonis (12 pts, 4 reb). I think that Australia with 4 NBA players on the roster (vs 2 for LTU) was a factor. Props to Australia for playing well at both ends of the court. 

In what universe is the game that is tied with two minutes to go "over by half time"?

15 hours ago, GameOn said:

I was just thinking that myself. No post game comments from JEGAAAA or I❤️JV. They must be taking it pretty hard. Or maybe they are currently preparing their next super loooooooooooooooooooooong post?

Both. Yes that loss, was hard to take, but we are still alive and hope springs eternal.

Before i start about Lithuania v Australia i would like to update what happened so far in the world cup, for people who did not see the games.

Group A and B now group I

By far the weakest pool of teams containing 1 B list team Argentina and 7 Scrubs.

Scrubs v Scrubs was  low on quality basketball, but boy it was entertaining.

By fixing the draw for the host China, FIBA expected at least 1 team from Asia or Africa  in the top 16. Not to be. All 12 teams are out in the most embarrassing fashion. China vs Poland was a good example as China lost a game in a embarrassing way in the end. Not able to inbound the ball, referees giving a foul for nothing, Poland crying "we were robbed" ...China missing both free throws ....inbounding again, Poland stealing the ball ...layup ....China players and commentators are literary crying.

Next game, unable to forget that heartbreak, China losing to Venezuela  and are out. Good. FIBA fixing a draw and refs fixing games for them is bad for basketball. 

So we have a battle royale,  scrub v scrub Poland v Russia. Poland wins and are in the quarters. 

Poland will play Argentina for the top spot in the group with Poland has like 10% chance.

What chance Poland has in the quarters...big fat zero. Poland going to be embarrassed in the Quarterfinals.

Team of scrubs beating other scrubs because of the fixed draw for China. End of the line for Poland ...Congratulations are in order for them. Top overachievers of the world cup. 

Argentina has 10% chance against Spain in the Quarterfinal and if upset by Poland zero chance against Serbia.

Group C and D now group J

Was always about 3 teams. A listers Serbia, Spain and B lister Italy. The games between them.

Spain beat Italy so now what is left is Serbia v Spain. Serbia is 80/20 favorites for me maybe 85/15.

Even if upset by Spain (very unlikely) Serbia is going to be in the Semifinals 100%.

Spain most likely beaten by Serbia going to play Argentina and 90% going to be in the Semifinals. If (unlikely) has to play Poland is 100% garantie. I would bet my house that Serbia and Spain are in the Semifinals.

Group E and F now group K

In the first round B listers Turkey choked so hard against USA. USA was down and out until Turkey managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.... twice. Not a surprise they could not recover mentally, lost to Czech Republic and is out of world cup.

Brazil and Bruno produced upset of the world cup by beating Giannis Greece by a point. Greece do not have enough shooting, Giannis can not shoot and Bruno was magnificent in the end.

So USA v Greece tomorrow. This is very difficult match to call. Teams are in completely different circumstances. For Greece  win or you out, for USA it's meaningless game in a big picture, by losing USA would be in even better position to win the tournament.

If USA win against Greece and win another 50/50 match in the quarterfinals, semifinals are most likely Serbia and USA are massive underdogs. If Greece wins, USA is second (unless disaster strikes and USA loses to Brazil, then USA is out...this is very unlikely) USA play Spain in the Semifinals and are heavy favorite. I do not expect for US to be complacent vs Giannis. Because at what is at stake for Greece, USA is marginal favorites in my opinion. 

Group G and H now group L

The big surprise in a first round is Germany with 3 NBA players including Dennis Schröder pooping the bed and losing to Dominican Republic. Germany felt it was the best team they ever had. After the embarrassing exit German basketball federation president called it horse manure. Schröder was blamed and criticised for his play, to which he responded "I will play my way or not play at all" what a team player.

Lithuania losing to Australia was hard to take. First two quarters  Australia was really hot from 3. Imposible 9/14 3 pointers.

Lithuania played passive in a first half, defended poorly and lost by 11. 3rd Quarter played much better but still beginning of 4th quarter Lithuania was down by 8. Started 4th quarter awesome 11/0 and we are +3 with 5 min left. Unfortunately missed couple shots to go +5. Missed 3 free throws (1 from JV), missed a bunny to even the score, next thing we have Patty Mills  three   -5 and it is over.

We are a better team than Australia and if we played 7 game playoffs series we would definitely win, but we played badly in a first half and 11 points was just too much.

boat as Greece.... do or die. I think in 7 games we would probably lose a close one v France they are good, JV vs Rudy Gobert going to be good match up as JV always played good against Gobert. 1 game is 50/50 chance. 

We need to win by at least 5 points to be sure we are in the quarters...can we do it?

as the greatest president in US history  Barack Obama said......  YES WE CAN

Will we do it?...will see it tomorrow

1 hour ago, Karas said:

In what universe is the game that is tied with two minutes to go "over by half time"?

I meant that Australia had mentally defeated LTU by half time. They were up by 11 and their defense was stifling JV, Sabonis and the rest of the team. Australia's 1st half shooting % was off the charts and you could see the frustration of the LTU players. Even though LTU played better in the 2nd half, I think that they were mentally not in a good place and that prevented them from pulling off the win. Even coach Adomaitis was rattled. I believe it was in the late part of the second quarter that he called a time out, then proceeded to yell hard at his players. While he was yelling, he was SMASHING his pen on his drawing board. When your coach is "losing it", that's never a good sign.  

14 hours ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

Aussie play well, they deserve the win. A bad day for JV, it happen. did not shoot a lot and was not good in defense as  well. But Sabonis was not much better, credit to big Australian guys. 

No Grizzlies on the France roster. Therefore, GO LITHUANIA!!!

1 hour ago, I❤️JV said:

Both. Yes that loss, was hard to take, but we are still alive and hope springs eternal.

Before i start about Lithuania v Australia i would like to update what happened so far in the world cup, for people who did not see the games.

Group A and B now group I

By far the weakest pool of teams containing 1 B list team Argentina and 7 Scrubs.

Scrubs v Scrubs was  low on quality basketball, but boy it was entertaining.

By fixing the draw for the host China, FIBA expected at least 1 team from Asia or Africa  in the top 16. Not to be. All 12 teams are out in the most embarrassing fashion. China vs Poland was a good example as China lost a game in a embarrassing way in the end. Not able to inbound the ball, referees giving a foul for nothing, Poland crying "we were robbed" ...China missing both free throws ....inbounding again, Poland stealing the ball ...layup ....China players and commentators are literary crying.

Next game, unable to forget that heartbreak, China losing to Venezuela  and are out. Good. FIBA fixing a draw and refs fixing games for them is bad for basketball. 

So we have a battle royale,  scrub v scrub Poland v Russia. Poland wins and are in the quarters. 

Poland will play Argentina for the top spot in the group with Poland has like 10% chance.

What chance Poland has in the quarters...big fat zero. Poland going to be embarrassed in the Quarterfinals.

Team of scrubs beating other scrubs because of the fixed draw for China. End of the line for Poland ...Congratulations are in order for them. Top overachievers of the world cup. 

Argentina has 10% chance against Spain in the Quarterfinal and if upset by Poland zero chance against Serbia.

Group C and D now group J

Was always about 3 teams. A listers Serbia, Spain and B lister Italy. The games between them.

Spain beat Italy so now what is left is Serbia v Spain. Serbia is 80/20 favorites for me maybe 85/15.

Even if upset by Spain (very unlikely) Serbia is going to be in the Semifinals 100%.

Spain most likely beaten by Serbia going to play Argentina and 90% going to be in the Semifinals. If (unlikely) has to play Poland is 100% garantie. I would bet my house that Serbia and Spain are in the Semifinals.

Group E and F now group K

In the first round B listers Turkey choked so hard against USA. USA was down and out until Turkey managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory twice. Not a surprise they could not recover mentally, lost to Czech Republic and is out of world cup.

Brazil and Bruno produced upset of the world cup by beating Giannis Greece by a point. Greece do not have enough shooting, Giannis can not shoot and Bruno was magnificent in the end.

So USA v Greece tomorrow. This is very difficult match to call. Teams are in completely different circumstances. For Greece  win or you out, for USA it's meaningless game in a big picture, by losing USA would be in even better position to win the tournament.

If USA win against Greece and win another 50/50 match in the quarterfinals, semifinals are most likely Serbia and USA are massive underdogs. If Greece wins, USA is second (unless disaster strikes and USA loses to Brazil, then USA is out...this is very unlikely) USA play Spain in the Semifinals and are heavy favorite. I do not expect for US to be complacent vs Giannis. Because at what is at stake for Greece, USA is marginal favorites in my opinion. 

Group G and H now group L

The big surprise in a first round is Germany with 3 NBA players including Dennis Schröder pooping the bed and losing to Dominican Republic. Germany felt it was the best team they ever had. After the embarrassing exit German basketball federation president called it horse manure. Schröder was blamed and criticised for his play, to which he responded "I will play my way or not play at all" what a team player.

Lithuania losing to Australia was hard to take. First two quarters  Australia was really hot from 3. Imposible 9/14 3 pointers.

Lithuania played passive in a first half, defended poorly and lost by 11. 3rd Quarter played much better but still beginning of 4th quarter Lithuania was down by 8. Started 4th quarter awesome 11/0 and we are +3 with 5 min left. Unfortunately missed couple shots to go +5. Missed 3 free throws (1 from JV), missed a bunny to even the score, next thing we have Patty Mills  three   -5 and it is over.

We are a better team than Australia and if we played 7 game playoffs series we would definitely win, but we played badly in a first half and 11 points was just to much.

So tomorrow we are in the same situation as Greece.... do or die. I think in 7 games we would probably lose a close one v France they are good, JV vs Rudy Gobert going to be good match up as JV always played good against Gobert. 1 game is 50/50 chance. 

We need to win by at least 5 points to be sure we are in the quarters...can we do it?

as the greatest president in US history  Barack Obama said......  YES WE CAN

Will we do it?...will see it tomorrow

Thanks for your long and detailed analysis. Were you bored again??? LTU's loss yesterday was hard to take. They staged a comeback in the 2nd half, but it was just "one of those days". Your second last sentence:  I highly advise leaving politics out of your posts. Politics and religion don't mix well with basketball discussion.  

15 hours ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

It is treason to support France....and not JV and Lithuania...unless you are French.