WHO IS PLAYING? 32 TEAMS

A LIST

Lithuania Serbia Spain Greece France Australia USA 7 teams

B LIST

Argentina Italy Turkey Brazil Germany Canada 6 teams

C SCRUBS 19 teams

Can C SCRUBS beat any A list team? NO

Can C SCRUBS beat any B list team?...possible very unlikely 

Which scrub has a chance to beat a B lister?

Russia and Nigeria 20% chance both v Argentina

Czech Republic 20% chance v Turkey

Montenegro 25% v Brazil

Can B Listers beat any A list team? possible very unlikely 

Italy 10% chance v Serbia

Turkey 5% v USA

Brazil 5% v Greece

Canada 10% v Lithuania

Who is going to be in the quarter Finals?Semi finals?etc

Because of horrible draw made to help hosts China we will have a scrub in Quarter finals.

Scrub Team China or Russia v A list Serbia

B List Argentina v A list Spain 85% or very unlikely 15%  B List Italy

Semi finals Serbia v Spain 80% or 10%Italy or 10% Argentina

Final Serbia 81% Spain 15% Italy 2% Argentina 2%

BOTTOM HALF

Bottom half is where the fun starts.

1st round A list battle Lithuania v Australia 50/50

2nd round clash A list battle  Greece v USA 50/50

2nd round A list battle Lithuania v France 50/50

2nd round A list battle Australia v France 50/50

What does it mean?

Greece v USA it's just a game for bragging rights meaningless in a big picture, for me Greece are favorites but some other ppl might see it differently.

Greece and USA are going to be in the quarterfinals. They will meat Lithuania Australia or France.

1 A LIST TEAM Lithuania Australia or France GOING HOME BEFORE QUARTERFINALS.

Any of Lithuania France Australia Greece and USA can be in a SF and a Final V Serbia where they be 40/60 underdogs.

So why team USA only 50/50 vs Lithuania France Australia Greece and underdogs against Serbia?

Perception.

Is NBA the best league in a world?YES

Do the best players play in the NBA?YES

NBA has 450 players are they are the best in a world?NO ....People who watch only NBA have no idea about the players in Euroleague.

So who plays in the NBA?

25 or so stars. How many of those do you have?Zero.... Greece has 1 and so is Serbia.

NBA has 100-120 good players.100 average players and 200-250 scrubs dreamers and prospects.

How good are Euroleague starters on A list teams? They are as good as 100-200 NBA players.

Why are they not in NBA?

They are older not enough upside for them to be a star. Role players in NBA and Europe are similar. NBA guys more athletic Euro guys better basketball IQ and basketball skills.

European teams are playing for years together USA is a pick up team.

Top 25 players can make a difference with any team ...but 11 top 100  and a Mason Plumlee can not.

FIBA pretends is FIFA 32 teams are a joke. 32 Team Football world cup is fun as upset can happen in (almost) every game. Everyone can play football.

Who can play Basketball? USA, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Australia and like 15 European countries. Not all the best European teams are even in the World cup.

We are missing Slovenia and Luka ( European Champions) Latvia and Kristaps Croatia and Bogdan. 

It is my opinion and feel free to disagree.

this form is about MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES basketball

2 hours ago, lions said:

this form is about MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES basketball

We have 4 Grizzlies in the World Cup. I am watching the WC and I think it's ok to discuss how our guys are doing. Besides, the rest of the forum is pretty dead right now.

let's  keep it BASKETBALL 

* agreed 

- toke

Edited by 10SC-2-TOKYO
grabbing this one before it goes bad

1 hour ago, costarica2 said:

The off-season is to long some times this guys are starting to lose it :/.

Chill guys.

I am gonna blame this one on the weather ... the heat has been ridiculous!

agreed on your suggestion: 

chill

better days / basketball days are ON THE WAY 

😉

8 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

It is my opinion and feel free to disagree.

this .

this is what makes this board better than most.

agree / disagree

blaze a poster's POST 

withOUT personally attacking the poster.

We gain more and more international followers EVERY YEAR !

(we even have an All Spanish version of this board... now that I think about it ... has any one of our multi-lingual posters checked that side in a while? ) 

We also convert many player fans into full on GRIZZ fans in rather short order.

The opinions are going to be varied... that's a GOOD thing.

I never knew/ cared to learn about other countries' basketball cultures UNTIL they started playing for us...

They have my FULL attention now.

There are good  / great ballers all over the globe.

And as we all know -there are great players everywhere - NOT in the NBA too.

Some, for whatever reason have not been able to showcase their skills in the NBA...timing, skill , determnination , health, perseverance , lil bit of nepotism ;) and a WHOLE LOT OF LUCK are all factors that play into who we see and who just misses the cut.

Looking at the FIBA World Cup - You can't help but notice how many of these guys we are familiar with because they play in the NBA.

10 years ago this conversation wouldn't even be happening in Memphis.

look at us now.

I think it's good for the NBA and it's GRIZZ fans.

💫🤣💫

Go Grizz 

On 9/2/2019 at 2:21 AM, BigHunkALove said:

Lithuania will lose to Australia

It will be an awesome game. Best 1st round game by a mile.

I just hope every Grizz fan will support Lithuania. 

Jonas demands your loyalty.

If you do not .......you will be branded a disloyal traitor and the enemy of the state of Tennessee.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED  

9 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Some, for whatever reason have not been able to showcase their skills in the NBA...timing, skill , determination , health, perseverance , lil bit of nepotism ;) and a WHOLE LOT OF LUCK are all factors that play into who we see and who just misses the cut.

Looking at the FIBA World Cup - You can't help but notice how many of these guys we are familiar with because they play in the NBA.

There are reasons why Euro guys are not in the NBA. The best ones are in, some are not for culture reasons. If you are really good, NBA is the only place you can make decent money. But if it's 2-3 mil a year, offer why bother.

1 example. Donatas Motiejunas was 28 years old free agent this summer. He received offers of about 2mil from San Antonio and Minnesota, couple offers of 3mil from Euroleague and tax free 6mil from China league...what would you do?...exactly...you go to China.

Even 10 mil. in the US after tax/agent fees etc. is like 4 mil+ in a bank. People see this big numbers and imagine themselves and think what a life.

Yes, it is a decent life, but people just think all the money is for the player. What about taxes, agent, personal trainer, personal chef, other ppl.

Most US players have a big entourage ...and they cost the most. If you are out of the NBA do you think entourage is gone?

Entourage is only gone...when you can not afford to have one. Do you imagine the pain most players have to go through after they have to tell close people..."sorry but you have to look after yourself now".

Unless you invest smartly and DO NOT GAMBLE you are going to be fine after finishing with NBA....but if you are NOT...this will happen.

"According to Sports Illustrated , 78% of National Football League (NFL) players are either bankrupt or are under financial stress within two years of retirement and an estimated 60% of National Basketball Association (NBA) players go bankrupt within five years after leaving their sport."

If it were me making your A list and B list I'd put Nigeria as a B list team at least with guys like Ekpe Udoh, Ike Diogu, Josh Okogie, and Al Farouq Aminu on their squad.

38 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

If it were me making your A list and B list I'd put Nigeria as a B list team at least with guys like Ekpe Udoh, Ike Diogu, Josh Okogie, and Al Farouq Aminu on their squad.

The problem with Nigeria is they’re not actually a functioning team. The Nigerian federation is a complete mess and just two weeks before the tournament started they didn’t have money for the team to travel to China. Some players actually had to pay for the plane tickets to be able to compete.

Imagine that level of mismanagement with regards to coaching staff, pre-tournament training and overall preparation and you’ll understand why three days into the world cup Nigeria is already eliminated.

4 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Just because you recognize some NBA names on a team does not mean they are not scrubs.

Nigeria lost to B listers Argentina to another Scrub team Russia (without any NBA player) and are out of the world cup in 2 games. 

All teams from Africa and Asia are scrubs, just making up the numbers and embarrassing themselves and the world cup.

The only team from Africa or Asia i would consider putting on a B list would be Cameroon with Embiid and Pascal.

Montenegro with Nikola Vučević was the last team i cut from B list and into the scrubs.

We should see very soon if i am very stable genius or just another scrub.

9 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

It will be an awesome game. Best 1st round game by a mile.

I just hope every Grizz fan will support Lithuania. 

Jonas demands your loyalty.

If you do not .......you will be branded a disloyal traitor and the enemy of the state of Tennessee.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED  

p.s. Germantown or Cordova? asking for a friend

I'm glad that I will not be branded a disloyal traitor and the enemy of the state of Tennessee. Since I am a huge JV fan, I automatically support Lithuania and I hope they win the World Cup. Sorry Bruno, Yuta and Marko. I hope all 3 of you guys play well, just no winning the Cup ...OK?

18 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

this .

this is what makes this board better than most.

agree / disagree

blaze a poster's POST 

withOUT personally attacking the poster.

We gain more and more international followers EVERY YEAR !

(we even have an All Spanish version of this board... now that I think about it ... has any one of our multi-lingual posters checked that side in a while? ) 

We also convert many player fans into full on GRIZZ fans in rather short order.

The opinions are going to be varied... that's a GOOD thing.

I never knew/ cared to learn about other countries' basketball cultures UNTIL they started playing for us...

They have my FULL attention now.

There are good  / great ballers all over the globe.

Some, for whatever reason have not been able to showcase their skills in the NBA...timing, skill , determnination , health, perseverance , lil bit of nepotism ;) and a WHOLE LOT OF LUCK are all factors that play into who we see and who just misses the cut.

10 years ago this conversation wouldn't even be happening in Memphis.

look at us now.

I think it's good for the NBA and it's GRIZZ fans.

💫🤣💫

Go Grizz 

Great post Toke. You nailed it. 

"We also convert many player fans into full on GRIZZ fans in rather short order." Yes you do. Myself included, plus "I Love JV" plus "Jegaaaaa" plus ... BTW, do you have stats on the increase in Views and Posts at this Board since the February trade deadline and all the off season activity? Would be interesting to see. I didn't think that I had posted very much, but this is my 638th post since February. Plus I am constantly viewing most current threads, multiple times. Thanks to all the guru Grizz posters that have helped me get upto speed about the Grizzlies franchise (and the NBA in general) since I am a newb Grizzlies fan. Go Grizz! Go JV/Lithuania!

9 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

Just because you recognize some NBA names on a team does not mean they are not scrubs.

There's  a Canadian player called Scrubb. I'd never heard of him but he was pretty good the other night against AUS

4 hours ago, GameOn said:

I'm glad that I will not be branded a disloyal traitor and the enemy of the state of Tennessee. Since I am a huge JV fan, I automatically support Lithuania and I hope they win the World Cup. Sorry Bruno, Yuta and Marko. I hope all 3 of you guys play well, just no winning the Cup ...OK?

Aren't you Canadian?

2 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

There's  a Canadian player called Scrubb. I'd never heard of him but he was pretty good the other night against AUS

There are two Scrubbs on a Canadian team. They are brothers.

3 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

There are two Scrubbs on a Canadian team. They are brothers.

2 for 1? 

No wonder I thought they/he was good LOL

Man, my blood is boiling already. Senegal showed up against Aussies, game was close getting into the fourth quarter. Still, Aussies prevailed 81-68. 

NOW Lithuania - Canada. If we (Lithuania) win - all is rosy. If we lose, and lose last game to Aussies - it would be a national tragedy.

My time game starts at 6:30, but at 3:00 i was outside, drinking coffee and smoking. OK, 21 to go to the game start. Hopefully I'll alright after the game.

This FIBA WC format with 32 teams, initially just 2 teams advancing after the first round, consisting of 3!!!! games is ridiculous. And oh, no European champ here too. I guess Luka is not good enough to play in the WC.

Lithuania, Australia and Canada (with Senegal) in one group and only two will advance. Crazy. Good teams spent months in preparation, just to play for a week in the WC???? Ridiculous.