I❤️JV

Dwight saves some money for the Grizz

Dwight Howard’s agent, Charles Briscoe of Briscoe Sports Group, has completed buyout with Grizzlies officials, and Howard will sign with the Lakers once he clears waivers.

Ok, lets get @fanboyslim in here to explain how much a theoretical buyout of $1m off his $5m contract will save us + how much the Lakers signing him for 2.6m will save us, if any.

that a double /double man they let walk away 

the grizzlies don,t think they can win 

I'm blown away by the Lakers actually wantin him back. I guess Dwight doesn't burn that many bridges...who's gonna start the appreciation thread :D

1 hour ago, srmjr23 said:

Ok, lets get @fanboyslim in here to explain how much a theoretical buyout of $1m off his $5m contract will save us + how much the Lakers signing him for 2.6m will save us, if any.

Well, I don't know the details of the buyout, but if he took $1M less than what he's owed that million is money we save right away.

The set-off from signing a $2.6M contract would be $560K (half the difference between the new salary and a 1-year minimum contract) at most. If the contract is not guaranteed and he is waived then the set-off will be $560K or whatever he has earned so far, whichever is lower.

Memphis reclaimed the full value of what Howard can make with the Lakers: $2.6M.

Dwight Howard surrendered nearly $2.6M of his $5.6M guaranteed salary to Memphis in buyout. He can earn $2.6M on his vet minimum deal with Lakers -- if he survives on roster past early January. Ideal outcome for Grizzlies, who never intended to bring Howard to camp.

Adrian Wojnarowski added,

Even though he'd probably have been decent for us, at least we saved some money and cleared a roster space. Only 2 more spots to go, probably Hill and Rabb. 

53 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Even though he'd probably have been decent for us, at least we saved some money and cleared a roster space. Only 2 more spots to go, probably Hill and Rabb. 

I could see Hill and Rabb being next 

55 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Nobody:

Me: come on Jo!

It does free up some money to sign him. Obviously we'd still have to waive someone like Plumlee to do that, but I'd be fine with it. You can always use Jo's energy and spirit on a team like this. 

3 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Nobody:

Me: come on Jo!

I'd love for us to bring Jo Jo back. His craziness and intensity will really be a positive for this young team. 

Money aside though, even with Dwight gone how many do we have to trade/cut/buyout before we can bring Jo back? 

Is letting Plumlee and Rabb go enough roster wise?  

I am getting some Hogan/Hall/Nash vibes from LeBron/AD/Dwight Howard.

The Lakers look like the favorites to win the title, but I don't see any GREAT team out there (or on the horizon).  A bunch of classic 2nd round team types.  

8 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

I'd love for us to bring Jo Jo back. His craziness and intensity will really be a positive for this young team. 

Money aside though, even with Dwight gone how many do we have to trade/cut/buyout before we can bring Jo back? 

We would waive Hill before Plumlee. We need a backup big more than a 17th wing.

Rabb will have training camp to demonstrate if he gets his money is guaranteed for next year.

I would think Hill is the next to go. Plumlee is third center usable (but I'd rather have Noah).

They wouldn't cut Plumlee ($12M) to sign Noah I don't think . It would have to be someone cheap. There's no one left that would be worth it.

10 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

If we had to let someone go wouldn't it make more sense to let Hill go?  After all, Joakim has had some injury history, as, to a lesser degree, has JV.  We would still have a true big to suit up then.