KyleB

Cousins injury

Recommended Posts

Could it impact our ability to trade Igoudala? If the Lakers end up using their final roster spot to sign another center is there less pressure on the Clippers and Rockets or any other potential trade partner to trade for him rather than wait for him to be waived/bought out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lakers would be all over Dwight right now.....if they didn't already know how that movie played out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point we might as well let Howard play if we cant get a trade for him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I'd love to get Horton Tucker or something like that from the lakers for Dwight,  I can't see why they don't just sign Faried right now. He averaged 13 and 8 in 26 minutes last year off the bench for Houston and even started making some 3s. He'd be a perfect fit for them, more so than Cousins would have anyway. 

That being said, it proves that there is some value in keeping Howard. Injuries for contenders are bound to happen. Howard is still a solid piece and is on a really good contract. We can still extract some value from him, and possibly attach him with Iguadola and take back a sizable contract and picks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe there is something I don't understand. What is the logic for the Grizzlies to buy out Dwight Howard when another team has an interest in acquiring him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, oldmanGrizz said:

Maybe there is something I don't understand. What is the logic for the Grizzlies to buy out Dwight Howard when another team has an interest in acquiring him?

I think the buyout option only plays out if nobody else is interested in a trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would sign Joakim Noah before trading for Howard if I was a team in playoff race.

Maybe Noah has no interest in playing this year, or at least not with LeBron.  

Or maybe vice versa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I don't see how the Lakers have anything they can do to match up salaries.

Even the guys they just signed can't be traded until December. Even if they wanted to trade Cousins so the Grizzlies could waive a smaller contract they couldn't do it.

I would guess that the Grizzlies will still waive Howard, but I don't understand why the Lakers wanted to meet with him.  Maybe the Lakers are trying to figure whether to wait on him or sign a Zeller or Noah.

Maybe meeting with Howard will get a smaller buyout number? That doesn't really make sense either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Honestly, I don't see how the Lakers have anything they can do to match up salaries.

Even the guys they just signed can't be traded until December. Even if they wanted to trade Cousins so the Grizzlies could waive a smaller contract they couldn't do it.

I would guess that the Grizzlies will still waive Howard, but I don't understand why the Lakers wanted to meet with him.  Maybe the Lakers are trying to figure whether to wait on him or sign a Zeller or Noah.

Maybe meeting with Howard will get a smaller buyout number? That doesn't really make sense either.

 

I think the goal is what you just said: saving some money from the buyout. That can be achieved by Howard agreeing to a smaller buyout and/or by getting salary set-off once Howard signs with the Lakers.

For instance, let's say Howard agrees to a $3.5M buyout. We'd be on the hook for this amount, saving $2.1M. Then he signs with the Lakers for the minimum ($2.6M for a 10+ year veteran). We'd get an additional set-off of $2.6M minus $1.4M (1-year minimum salary) divided by 2, or $800k. So we'd save a total of $2.9M.

The Lakers would only carry $1.6M (2-year minimum salary) into their cap, and Howard would make a total of $6.4M in 2019-20. A win for everyone.

I'm not 100% sure of the set-off amount (is it calculated from the total new salary or from the 2-year minimum limit?), but the point is if both teams and the Grizzlies reach an agreement on the terms of Howard's waiver it can be financially beneficial for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I would sign Joakim Noah before trading for Howard if I was a team in playoff race.

Maybe Noah has no interest in playing this year, or at least not with LeBron.  

Or maybe vice versa.

I really really hope we can find a way to keep Noah... his energy is infectious.

Watching him play you can’t tell if we’re up by 20 or down by 10 -> he plays HARD .

When you have someone like that in a huddle - everybody catches on .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

I really really hope we can find a way to keep Noah... his energy is infectious.

Watching him play you can’t tell if we’re up by 20 or down by 10 -> he plays HARD .

When you have someone like that in a huddle - everybody catches on .

I'd love it too but the way I understand it (and I may be wrong) with us over the cap and not having his Bird rights I think he would have to agree to take the vet minimum again. Maybe if we save a little on buyouts and he doesn't get any better offers, but it looks like a long shot. I'm not sure where we are in relation to the lux tax, that's why I mention saving a little on the buyouts. We'd have to waive another player too, I think we are already looking at having to waive 3 to get under the max number of players allowed on the roster. I think its probably safe to assume Rabb and Howard will be waived, but they may hold on to Igoudala till the trade deadline. Hill could be bought out but if its at full price it would be a lot to pay for someone to not play. If they Waive Howard, Rabb, and Hill and are still holding Igoudala waiting for a trade they will end up having to waive someone who they may have wanted a longer look at like Jackson. Not sure they would waive a young player with potential in order to sign an aging center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we really going to cut howard and not make the lakers pay up something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

Are we really going to cut howard and not make the lakers pay up something?

Not likely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KyleB said:

I'd love it too but the way I understand it (and I may be wrong) with us over the cap and not having his Bird rights I think he would have to agree to take the vet minimum again. Maybe if we save a little on buyouts and he doesn't get any better offers, but it looks like a long shot. I'm not sure where we are in relation to the lux tax, that's why I mention saving a little on the buyouts. We'd have to waive another player too, I think we are already looking at having to waive 3 to get under the max number of players allowed on the roster. I think its probably safe to assume Rabb and Howard will be waived, but they may hold on to Igoudala till the trade deadline. Hill could be bought out but if its at full price it would be a lot to pay for someone to not play. If they Waive Howard, Rabb, and Hill and are still holding Igoudala waiting for a trade they will end up having to waive someone who they may have wanted a longer look at like Jackson. Not sure they would waive a young player with potential in order to sign an aging center.

Noah is almost certainly getting vet minimum no matter where he plays because he was stretched by the Knicks and they are paying him for the next three seasons. His best move would be to sign with a top team as he would get extra pay for playoff games and etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Not sure why we'd help Dwight Howard out. He can agree to a nothing buy out from us if he wants to go play for LA

1 To save some money.

2 Goodwill of future free agents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Not sure why we'd help Dwight Howard out. He can agree to a nothing buy out from us if he wants to go play for LA

By letting him talk to LA, you increase the chances that he lowers his buyout. That is why you help him out.

 

On 8/15/2019 at 10:45 PM, KyleB said:

Could it impact our ability to trade Igoudala? If the Lakers end up using their final roster spot to sign another center is there less pressure on the Clippers and Rockets or any other potential trade partner to trade for him rather than wait for him to be waived/bought out?

If the Lakers need an extra roster spot, they will cut Cousins. That is not a big deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now