Sign in to follow this  
I❤️JV

Free agency 2020

3 hours ago, Ace-is-high said:

I dont understand this, your saying we need to field the most competitive team possible so Boston gets a lower pick? Why? So we dont look as bad in a trade we made 5+ years ago?

It's completely based on bad logic. That pick is a sunk cost. And if Boston doesn't get a high pick, under the scenario in which we do well and make their pick as low as possible, then someone else gets that pick. We aren't preventing any team from getting a good pick. People really need to get past this pick we have and really think through their logic.

IMO the best case scenario for this coming season is that we have an exciting team that can build a fun and competitive culture, to ensure we keep our young guys when free agency comes. The most likely scenario is we end up with a top 4 pick in the draft, and that's about the best result we could hope for. If we can get another piece to go with our exciting core, sign a shooting guard like Hield or Beasley, and then draft either a guard or small forward, we have an extremely strong case for deep playoff runs 4-5 years down the line.

34 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20229609/nba-free-agents-team-team-lists-2020-2021 

This list shows both 20/21 free agents and their options in the clearest way possible. There are great options 2021. This team is really looking up.

Bradley Beal in 2021.

Next year will be a tough year for free agency. You kinda have to show something for established free agents to take you seriously. Coming off a year as a bottom 3-5 team trying to sign max guys wont be easy.

1 hour ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Agree. If we don't convey this year it doesn't matter whether the pick was 1 or 30. We won't have the pick regardless. Sunk cost.

I get that it FEELS better to convey #28 than #2 but still.

Exactly,  giving them a pick in the 20s feels better but if you're the FO you're not making business decisions centered around making a bad trade look better, unless of course you're Chris Wallace trying to hold onto your job another year

7 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Bradley Beal in 2021.

Next year will be a tough year for free agency. You kinda have to show something for established free agents to take you seriously. Coming off a year as a bottom 3-5 team trying to sign max guys wont be easy.

Show them the MONEY.

6 minutes ago, Ace-is-high said:

Exactly,  giving them a pick in the 20s feels better but if you're the FO you're not making business decisions centered around making a bad trade look better, unless of course you're Chris Wallace trying to hold onto your job another year

We need the draft to get star talent. If we do indeed have two and get a third in 2020 who cares about a 2021 pick and what Boston gets? Our mission was accomplished.

2 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

Show them the MONEY.

What difference does that make for max level players when 5-10 teams are showing a player the same amount of money (or more money in the case of the team he played for the previous year)

8 minutes ago, Dwash said:

What difference does that make for max level players when 5-10 teams are showing a player the same amount of money (or more money in the case of the team he played for the previous year)

For a max player there is no difference and they are not getable, but for a player with an offer say 18-20 mil Grizz can offer max and get him.Should Grizz offer max to a not 100% max player there is another question. 

It might be a toss-up between the 2020 and 2021 drafts.  2021 might have more hyped "star" power at the very top, but the 2020 draft looks really deep.  

Worst case I guess we get the 6th pick in a five player draft and then lose our pick to Boston in 2021.  OR, we convey a pick at 7 to Boston in the deepest draft in NBA history, and will be left with a mediocre 2021 lotto pick in a super-top-heavy draft.

Best case scenario: we win as many games as possible, sell a ton of tickets and jerseys, Jaren/Ja/Clarke look like the real deal, and then we either move up in the draft (into the top 4) or convey a pick at 9 or 10 to the Boston Celtics.  That is, IF we don't make the playoffs which I think we can compete for.

14 minutes ago, Dwash said:

We need the draft to get star talent. If we do indeed have two and get a third in 2020 who cares about a 2021 pick and what Boston gets? Our mission was accomplished.

3-6 might be about equal for both drafts.  Who knows if a mega star will appear in either draft.  If so, I would hate to lose out on that kind of player -- especially if we don't have a pick in that draft.

Realistically, good luck to our guys just trying to pay Jaren and Ja and like, 2 or 3 other guys (probably include Brandon Clarke here).  

I think our scouting department (Ministry of Scouting?) needs to start working on a COMBINED big board (for both 2020 and 2021).  

37 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Exactly.

5 hours ago, CoolHandGriz said:

Of course you would. You're from Memphis.

I'd take this guy:

Wiseman is the #1 ranked recruit and projected to go # one on draft boards all over the net. Has nothing to do with him playing for Penny 

18 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

Joe Harris in 2020. 47% 3pt shooter

Kyrie probably gonna kill his game. Excellent buy low option.

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Wiseman is the #1 ranked recruit and projected to go # one on draft boards all over the net. Has nothing to do with him playing for Penny 

We also already have our center of the future and this dude looks like Lebron Lite. But y’all go ahead with your local love affair. I get it. I really do. Wiseman is a boss.

2 hours ago, CoolHandGriz said:

We also already have our center of the future and this dude looks like Lebron Lite. But y’all go ahead with your local love affair. I get it. I really do. Wiseman is a boss.

Jaren doesn’t want to play Center and at the top of the draft you take the better player. Fit and team needs shouldn’t  matter. If Wiseman is the better player you pick him and if Edwards is the better player you pick Edwards. This has nothing to do with homerism and Wiseman playing for the home college team. 

Your acting like Wiseman isn’t a top prospect and were in here talking about drafting Joey Dorsey with a top 5 pick 

6 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

Joe Harris in 2020. 47% 3pt shooter

This.  Unrestricted free agent.  Nets are probably going to have to spend the rest of their money on LaVert.  We desperately need good wings.  Joe Harris is solid. 

15 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Buddy Hield would be very, very high on my list of players in RFA, though I suspect basically all of those teams will match. The most reasonable target we could go after, due to Denver's inability to match, would have to be Malik Beasley. We wouldn't have to max him, and we'd still have cap space the following year.

I don’t understand why more people aren’t talking about Buddy Hield. And even if I can’t get him I’m forcing the Kings to match the first day of free agency. 

12 hours ago, Allen said:

Jaren doesn’t want to play Center and at the top of the draft you take the better player. Fit and team needs shouldn’t  matter. If Wiseman is the better player you pick him and if Edwards is the better player you pick Edwards. This has nothing to do with homerism and Wiseman playing for the home college team. 

Your acting like Wiseman isn’t a top prospect and were in here talking about drafting Joey Dorsey with a top 5 pick 

Fit absolutely matters. You want to keep trotting out mediocre options at SG for another decade and roll with a twin towers team in today's NBA? I don't get this narrative of fit doesn't matter.

Now if player A big man is A LOT better than player B wing I absolutely see your point but that's not the case here. I saw Edwards projected as the top pick over Wiseman in multiple mock drafts yesterday. Now Wiseman could prove to be a lot better by the end of the college season and if that's the case i'm with yall.

The way I see it is we're trying to build the perfect championship contender here and our glaring weakness is at 2 guard. Edwards, IF he plays as advertised would fix that.

Griz playoff team in 2022:

PG Morant

SG Edwards

SF Brooks/Jackson/or FA signing

PF Clarke

C JJJ

1 hour ago, CoolHandGriz said:

Fit absolutely matters. You want to keep trotting out mediocre options at SG for another decade and roll with a twin towers team in today's NBA? I don't get this narrative of fit doesn't matter.

Now if player A big man is A LOT better than player B wing I absolutely see your point but that's not the case here. I saw Edwards projected as the top pick over Wiseman in multiple mock drafts yesterday. Now Wiseman could prove to be a lot better by the end of the college season and if that's the case i'm with yall.

The way I see it is we're trying to build the perfect championship contender here and our glaring weakness is at 2 guard. Edwards, IF he plays as advertised would fix that.

Griz playoff team in 2022:

PG Morant

SG Edwards

SF Brooks/Jackson/or FA signing

PF Clarke

C JJJ

Sam Bowie. You pick whichever player you think is better. And again JJJ nor the front office wants him playing Center 

3 hours ago, King Dork said:

I don’t understand why more people aren’t talking about Buddy Hield. And even if I can’t get him I’m forcing the Kings to match the first day of free agency. 

Restricted Free Agent means he won't be a Grizzly.

JJJ doesnt have to be a fulltime center but it makes sense to have a lineup setup where he can slide there when needed.