Sign in to follow this  
CoolHandGriz

Boys, the future is bright (The Ringer's young core rankings)

Some interesting rankings being used here. Lonzo Ball is way ahead in the rankings of the anyone drafted in the last few years except Doncic. Karl Anthny Towns, Ben Simmons and Nikola Jokic. Ball's ratings (29.4) are ahead of Donovan Mitchell (26.0), De'Aaron Fox (21.3), Devon Booker (19.5) and Trae Young (13.6) just to name a few.

This doesn't provide me with a lot of confidence in their ranking system.  

53 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

Don't love their methodology (I would've limited it to perhaps the top 3 players under 25 for each team in calculating the total WAR), but I like the result!

Other observations:

1. Lonzo's projected WAR is insane - he's so incredibly polarizing.
  2. Loved this quote for all our pro-Wiggins people on the Board: "and Andrew Wiggins (6.8), worst of all, doesn’t even qualify as one of the three best young players on his own team."
  3. Also surprised to see Tatum have such a high projected WAR; I guess I'm just not fully seeing it, but he is young and only going into his third season. Hope he surprises me.
  4. I'm higher on the Hawks core than this ranking, but ****, even I didn't realize Trae's defense was that bad.
  5. Really expected Bulls core to also be ranked higher - I'd prefer any of Markkanen, Carter Jr. or Colby White over Winslow.
  6. Their system seems too down on Bagley (4.3 WAR).
  7. Still hurts to have missed out on Mitch Robinson...

13 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Some interesting rankings being used here. Lonzo Ball is way ahead in the rankings of the anyone drafted in the last few years except Doncic. Karl Anthny Towns, Ben Simmons and Nikola Jokic. Ball's ratings (29.4) are ahead of Donovan Mitchell (26.0), De'Aaron Fox (21.3), Devon Booker (19.5) and Trae Young (13.6) just to name a few.

This doesn't provide me with a lot of confidence in their ranking system.  

1. Lonzo Ball is 21.

2. He is a stealth businessman being a part of the big baller brand shoe company.

3. His dad is lavar.

4. He has sibilings that play basketball.

5. He was drafted by the lakers.

Was Donovan part of the big baller brand? No. Rankings seem fine to me.

45 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

1. Lonzo Ball is 21.

2. He is a stealth businessman being a part of the big baller brand shoe company.

3. His dad is lavar.

4. He has sibilings that play basketball.

5. He was drafted by the lakers.

Was Donovan part of the big baller brand? No. Rankings seem fine to me.

Among the long list of posts you have made on this board that make no sense at all, this one stands out. Congratulations. Unless you are being sarcastic and I missed it. Your history makes it hard to tell.

The team that has to feel the worst about their future has to be Cleveland. They need to trade Love asap, and try to get something for him. Considering they went full youth movement and are still 29th is not good news. 

I agree with our ranking, maybe have us slightly lower but the ceiling is very high. I assume that includes a low number on Josh Jackson. If he turns out to be good that only bumps us up even further. 

28 minutes ago, KyleB said:

Among the long list of posts you have made on this board that make no sense at all, this one stands out. Congratulations. Unless you are being sarcastic and I missed it. Your history makes it hard to tell.

go read any chip post and you will see what I'm talking about

I will take our core.  Jaren is a prototype big man.  Ja is a prototype lead guard.  Clarke is somewhere in the mix too.  Bruno is still young and I think either Dillon Brooks, Grayson Allen, or Josh Jackson will take a step up and be a "core" guy.

I think Mitchell Robinson and RJ Barrett are underrated.  Could be a GREAT duo.  RJ isn't really great at anything yet, but he has a fairly high floor in lots of different areas.  Although I guess you can say he is an ELITE rebounder for a guard who can get to the line well and control the tempo ok (he likes to play at whatever tempo he likes to play at).

Pelicans: overrated.  Lonzo has upside.  Zion has upside.  Although both have FLAWS -- maybe FATAL flaws.  The sneaky Moneyball move here would be to use Zion as a superstar junk man with Lonzo sticking to his strengths.  So, you have Junk Yard Dog 2.0 (Bill Watts is rolling over in his grave) and Fat Lever 2.0.  I think it means something that Fat Lever 2.0 plays for New Orleans.  The sneaky Moneyball move would be to ACTUALLY build around (in a super-stealth way) NAW and Jaxson Hayes.  With NAW you have a souped-up Brian Shaw.  With Jaxson Hayes you have the guy Portland's front office thought they were getting with Sam Bowie except with more hops/quick jumping ability if not flat-out world-class explosiveness.

2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

The team that has to feel the worst about their future has to be Cleveland. They need to trade Love asap, and try to get something for him. Considering they went full youth movement and are still 29th is not good news.  

Yeah they're in pretty bad shape. They need one of Sexton or Garland to hit big then get back some good assets for Love before his steep decline begins.

Though i'd say the Hornets have the worst future of all. No star player like at least Washington has. No stockpile of picks like an OKC. No proven up and coming young player like a JJJ. On top of that no cap space... They're just stuck like chuck for the next few years. Their only hope is to finish bottom 3 and grab a Wiseman, Edwards or RJ to kickstart the rebuild.

I believe the rankings have Ball too high as well but they put a lot of emphasis on the defensive end and he's supposedly elite in that category. We'll see.

3 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

Don't love their methodology (I would've limited it to perhaps the top 3 players under 25 for each team in calculating the total WAR), but I like the result!

Other observations:

1. Lonzo's projected WAR is insane - he's so incredibly polarizing.
  2. Loved this quote for all our pro-Wiggins people on the Board: "and Andrew Wiggins (6.8), worst of all, doesn’t even qualify as one of the three best young players on his own team."
  3. Also surprised to see Tatum have such a high projected WAR; I guess I'm just not fully seeing it, but he is young and only going into his third season. Hope he surprises me.
  4. I'm higher on the Hawks core than this ranking, but ****, even I didn't realize Trae's defense was that bad.
  5. Really expected Bulls core to also be ranked higher - I'd prefer any of Markkanen, Carter Jr. or Colby White over Winslow.
  6. Their system seems too down on Bagley (4.3 WAR).
  7. Still hurts to have missed out on Mitch Robinson...

I thought the Bulls should be ranked higher too. They seem to have a bright future.