Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

Will Tony Allen be inducted into the basketball hall of fame?

13 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Right after Bruce Bowen gets in, sure.

Why so salty?

Let me ask you this, would you say that tony allen was one of the greatest perimeter defenders of all time? Where would you rank tony allen in that regard?

Also, there are many players (the majority of players) that are inducted based on how they did on offense alone: Dominque Wilkens, Carmelo will be that way.

There are players (like tony allen) that were defensive only guys: deke, Bill Russell that got in. The point is that there are two sides to basketball, not just offense.

6 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Why so salty?

Let me ask you this, would you say that tony allen was one of the greatest perimeter defenders of all time? Where would you rank tony allen in that regard?

Also, there are many players (the majority of players) that are inducted based on how they did on offense alone: Dominque Wilkens, Carmelo will be that way.

There are players (like tony allen) that were defensive only guys: deke, Bill Russell that got in. The point is that there are two sides to basketball, not just offense.

And Dominiques and Carmelos offense got them Allstar votes, MVP votes, All NBA selections, max contracts (Melo). Did Tony Allen's defense get him any of that? No. Wont be any different with HOF votes.  So next question.

Someone has to make sure Kevin takes his meds

10 minutes ago, Dwash said:

And Dominiques and Carmelos offense got them Allstar votes, MVP votes, All NBA selections, max contracts (Melo). Did Tony Allen's defense get him any of that? No. Wont be any different with HOF votes.  So next question.

You are really not answering the question, the question is where do you rank tony allen as a perimeter defender? where do you rank him? 

It's not about "allen's defense," it's about who was better than allen at perimeter defense in his era?

Are you arguing that no defensive-only players can make the hall of fame? Bobby Jones made it, Mutombo made it, ben wallace looks like he will make it, so explain to me why you feel this is a ridiculous question, actually? 

Not before Ben Wallace. But i think he will, same with Marc.

Better question would be does Zbo get in?

2 minutes ago, cdp said:

Not before Ben Wallace. But i think he will, same with Marc.

Better question would be does Zbo get in?

Zbo has 2 all star appearances, and 1 3rd team all nba.

Tony has 6 first and second team all defensive player selections, an nba championship (where he was known as the kobe-stopper), and you could consider him the best perimeter defender of his era.

Frankly, he has a better resume than Zbo does. So why is THAT a better question?

How many 0 time all stars are in the hall of fame?

1 hour ago, Allen said:

How many 0 time all stars are in the hall of fame?

There are a few, but the best example is:

Drazen Petrovich.

The fact is that if your sole criteria for getting into the hall of fame is based on all star appearances, I think that is pretty narrow-minded. Many players have allstar appearances that don't deserve to be in the hall of fame: Kyle Lowry for example. Kyle probably wasn't a top 10 player at point guard at any point in his career, yet he is a 5 time allstar.

Tony Allen over a 6 year period was considered either #1 or #2 of the best guard defenders in the nba. Although it does seem that you have to be a nearly a goat defensive player to make the hall of fame, whereas you can be an average allstar player and get in.

The point is that no other perimeter defender other than (Bruce Bowen, who should be in the hall of fame) and Alvin Roberson (who was charged with human trafficking) and Michael Cooper, has as much claim to the hall as Tony does.

But the bias seems to be: if you are defensive center you can get in, if you are a shooting guard, probably not. Although the reliance on 3d players in the nba now might make it easier for a perimeter defender to get in.  

Check this list out:

Most people on this list have been inducted in:

https://www.landofbasketball.com/awards/all_defensive_teams_player_1st.htm

However, if Coop or Bowen don't get in, it's not likely Tony will either, but that's a travesty in my opinion.

32 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

There are a few, but the best example is:

Drazen Petrovich.

Not sure that's a good example. Petrovic got inducted due to his Euro and international achievements, not his 4 years in the NBA (even tough he made All NBA once)

20 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Not sure that's a good example. Petrovic got inducted due to his Euro and international achievements, not his 4 years in the NBA (even tough he made All NBA once)

Not sure that is true, vlad got in like that, and others. Not Pet.

I thought this thread was a joke or some form of facetiousness with a greater point when I saw the title.

Then.....I opened it, realized that Kevin was serious, and lost a significant amount of hope for humanity.

3 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Zbo has 2 all star appearances, and 1 3rd team all nba.

Tony has 6 first and second team all defensive player selections, an nba championship (where he was known as the kobe-stopper), and you could consider him the best perimeter defender of his era.

Frankly, he has a better resume than Zbo does. So why is THAT a better question?

Stop. Just stop. A hall of famer is going to need at least 4 all-stars and an all-nba team.

Just now, Grizzfan7979 said:

Stop. Just stop. A hall of famer is going to need at least 4 all-stars and an all-nba team.

Many players are in with less than 4 allstar appearances 

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

This (can't find the little arrow pointing up)

The basketball hall of fame is not the NBA hall of fame. Many don't realize that. Also, Petro died when he was still in his prime so there was some emotion involved with his induction as well.

5 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Why so salty?

Bill Russell?  :D  Comparing TA to Russell???

Russell =

11 time NBA champ

5 times NBA MVP

12 times NBA all-star

3 times all-NBA first team

4 times NBA rebounding champ

NBA 25th and 50th anniversary team

----------------------------------------

TA =

3 time all-defensive team

1 NBA championship

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!