Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

Has Taylor Jenkins hired assistant coaches yet?

No. You can't be a floor sweeper for the Grizzlies.

😄

I interviewed last week but I haven’t heard back yet 

Well, we still had a few assistant coaches from last year's staff on the summer league team staff. I assumed that they were staying. 

Scott Agness: Pacers assistant coach Dave McClure is joining Taylor Jenkins’ Memphis Grizzlies staff, a league source confirms to @TheAthleticIND. He’ll move to the front of the bench and play a huge part in developing a young team. @J. Michael Falgoust with the news first.

2 hours ago – via Twitter ScottAgness

Omari Sanfoka II: Taylor Jenkins coached David McClure in 2009-10, when Jenkins was an assistant with the Austin Toros and McClure was a guard. 10 years later, they’re reuniting in Memphis

2 hours ago – via Twitter omarisankofa

17 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

So nobody is gonna mention the Popeye Jones cameo at 1:53 ?

😬

Looks like he's built like he was in the TN state h.s. basketball tournament back in the day when it was at Memorial Gym.  I was actually there to see Waverly that night and their star center Todd Millholland but got to see some Popeye in the game before.  Also got to see him play for Murray as a true freshman when he was still out of shape.  I think that was his last season as a chubby hoopster.

https://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/memphis-grizzlies-announce-assistant-coaching-staff-190805

The Memphis Grizzlies today announced Grizzlies head coach Taylor Jenkins’ coaching staff, naming Niele Ivey, Brad Jones, David McClure, James “Scoonie” Penn, Vitaly Potapenko and Neven Spahija as assistant coaches. Jason March has also been named head coach of the Memphis Hustle, the Grizzlies’ NBA G League affiliate.

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

https://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/memphis-grizzlies-announce-assistant-coaching-staff-190805

The Memphis Grizzlies today announced Grizzlies head coach Taylor Jenkins’ coaching staff, naming Niele Ivey, Brad Jones, David McClure, James “Scoonie” Penn, Vitaly Potapenko and Neven Spahija as assistant coaches. Jason March has also been named head coach of the Memphis Hustle, the Grizzlies’ NBA G League affiliate.

Niele Ivey becomes the 9th female NBA assistant and comes from having been an assistant for the Notre Dame women's team (2018 champs, 2019 runner-ups).

I think Brad Jones was head coach of the Hustle last year, so hopefully he has a good relationship with Yuta.

David McClure was mentioned above - seems to have been involved with player development as an assistant to the Pacers.

Scoonie Penn was director of recruiting and player development for OSU (and was a PG --> Ja/Tyus/Melton development coach, perhaps?)

Vitaly Potapenko was an assistant for us last year with JB (see him as the big man development coach).

Spahija coached Israeli team Maccabi Tel Aviv and was an assistant for the Hawks between 2014-2017.

All in all, think it's interesting that we don't have any former head coaches on the staff; hopefully this is a sign the front office is committed to a long-term vision and will allow Jenkins to develop these guys over a multi-year period. 

36 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

Niele Ivey becomes the 9th female NBA assistant and comes from having been an assistant for the Notre Dame women's team (2018 champs, 2019 runner-ups).

I think Brad Jones was head coach of the Hustle last year, so hopefully he has a good relationship with Yuta.

David McClure was mentioned above - seems to have been involved with player development as an assistant to the Pacers.

Scoonie Penn was director of recruiting and player development for OSU (and was a PG --> Ja/Tyus/Melton development coach, perhaps?)

Vitaly Potapenko was an assistant for us last year with JB (see him as the big man development coach).

Spahija coached Israeli team Maccabi Tel Aviv and was an assistant for the Hawks between 2014-2017.

All in all, think it's interesting that we don't have any former head coaches on the staff; hopefully this is a sign the front office is committed to a long-term vision and will allow Jenkins to develop these guys over a multi-year period. 

Jones was the Hustle coach last year, and he was also the HC of the Toros when Jenkins was there.

2 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

Young team with a Rookie head coach with no experienced NBA hands. This is either genius or a sharp fall. 

3 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

The fact my Niele Ivey thread got deleted is just sad. 

Was it because of my Marc Iavaroni curse comment?

4 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

Looking back through your thread I’ve gotta agree ... good thread with a few borderline posts

gimme a minute to clean it up and I’ll bring it back (minus the mess) 

-toke

4 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

I agree. Us hiring the franchise's first ever female coach, and just the 9th woman to be named a coach in the NBA, is much different than your average 'grizz sign random assistant' news. 

17 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Looking back through your thread I’ve gotta agree ... good thread with a few borderline posts

gimme a minute to clean it up and I’ll bring it back (minus the mess) 

-toke

No I completely understand, it went off the rails real fast.

28 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

No I completely understand, it went off the rails real fast.