Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

Win totals (Over/Under) for 2019-20 season

I say 37 wins if Morant burst onto the scene. 26 if he plays like a rookie

On 7/22/2019 at 7:13 PM, Allen said:

I say 37 wins if Morant burst onto the scene. 26 if he plays like a rookie

split  it down the middle and say 31 wins 

I'd say 28 wins but would be pleased to be wrong and the team wins over 30. However, I believe the franchise will work on developing younger players at the expense of wins this season, hoping to finish with a bottom 3 record to insure they keep their pick and get another elite athlete to join the core they are building. In my opinion, the team should focus on the future and build this team with a future vision of 3-5 years. This coming season is not important in that regard. 

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I'd say 28 wins but would be pleased to be wrong and the team wins over 30. However, I believe the franchise will work on developing younger players at the expense of wins this season, hoping to finish with a bottom 3 record to insure they keep their pick and get another elite athlete to join the core they are building. In my opinion, the team should focus on the future and build this team with a future vision of 3-5 years. This coming season is not important in that regard. 

I agree.  This will be evident in the fourth quarters of fairly close games ... if we are playing the young guys when they have been struggling earlier in the game instead of closing out with more experienced players, we're in development-mode ... not winning-mode.  I think 28 is still optimistic.

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I'd say 28 wins but .......... a bunch of stuff explaining how they might win less or more just in case they win less or more, but 28, that's what I'll go with unless a, b, and/or c happens, then they might not win as much or maybe they will win more, check back with me at end of the season and I'll tell you what I really meant.

28 wins is what I am saying for my season prediction. 

I'm not picking on anyone's thread....but if the team, head coach, GM/FO, ownership and our fans settle for 28 wins and 54 LOSSES, that will be an underachievement by all....I can envision that if that is the trend by this group approaching all-star break, the second major gut/rebuild will be underway

1 minute ago, Lugan Village said:

I'm not picking on anyone's thread....but if the team, head coach, GM/FO, ownership and our fans settle for 28 wins and 54 LOSSES, that will be an underachievement by all....I can envision that if that is the trend by this group approaching all-star break, the second major gut/rebuild will be underway

It's a process. The Grizzlies should be one of the youngest teams in the league with absolutely no chemistry (Dillon Brooks is the longest tenured player on the team and he's still on his rookie contract). 

I tend to set my sights low every year so I can be surprised on the upside more often than not also. I would be content for one season with a growth plan that allows players to develop now to contribute more later. 

2 hours ago, Lugan Village said:

28 wins would also put us dangerously close to being TERRIBLE and not being terrible enough to keep a top 6 pick.  There might be quite a few teams this year with sub-30 win records.  Giving Boston a pick in the 7-9 range while spending the whole year stinking up the joint would be the WORST CASE SCENARIO.  So, I guess we either need to be super-bad (well under 25 wins) OR mildly competitive night in and night out (35 wins or so).

Optics-wise, 30 wins looks better than 28 wins.  28 wins is BAD but not BAD ENOUGH to guarantee a top 6 pick.  We would actually have to end up with the league's SECOND WORST RECORD in order to secure a top 6 pick (we could theoretically drop 4 spots on Draft Ballz Nite).

I think our FO should tell fans "hey, we might not win the division, but we plan on competing night in and night out, while developing our young talent, and we have a shot at winning at least 35 games this season."

2 hours ago, Lugan Village said:

How is that an underachievement with this roster? As stated ad nauseum the Griz are young, inexperienced and still developing their culture.

Be patient young padawan. The wins will come in a couple years.

Yeah i'd be more disappointed with a 28 win season if the west wasn't such a bloodbath. I still think we may be able to surprise some people though (if that is the goal of the org, and we aren't purposely tanking to keep the pick). Every year there are teams that vastly defy the projections, why not the Grizz?

This whole Jeff Green trade is still a monkey on our back, and i'm kind of worried about giving Boston a number 7 pick this year 😒

1 hour ago, Zappastache said:

Yeah i'd be more disappointed with a 28 win season if the west wasn't such a bloodbath. I still think we may be able to surprise some people though (if that is the goal of the org, and we aren't purposely tanking to keep the pick). Every year there are teams that vastly defy the projections, why not the Grizz?

This whole Jeff Green trade is still a monkey on our back, and i'm kind of worried about giving Boston a number 7 pick this year 😒

On the other hand I don't like the idea of giving Boston an unprotected 2021 pick.  IF we can't make the playoffs in 2021 then that would create some high drama, given how the Grizzlies, Pelicans, and Lakers moved up big-time in the draft.

I don't care about the pick to Boston.  The deal was done years ago.  The objective is to grow a team in Memphis now, not to prevent Boston from getting a good pick.  All decisions should be about making our team better.  Anything different would be not having priorities straight.  Forget about that pick.  It's done.

10 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I don't care about the pick to Boston.  The deal was done years ago.  The objective is to grow a team in Memphis now, not to prevent Boston from getting a good pick.  All decisions should be about making our team better.  Anything different would be not having priorities straight.  Forget about that pick.  It's done.

Totally agree.  I am full in on keeping next seasons Top 6 so we can get the dynamic wing we are missing.     Ja + Jaren + BC + 2020pick would become new CORE4 for the future. 

I think we'll certainly be better than the Suns, Cleveland, and Hornets. I'll say probably better than Washington and Chicago. Possibly better than Atlanta, OKC, Minnesota, New Orleans, and Dallas (but I still expect those teams to finish ahead of us). That makes us anywhere from 6th to 12th worst. I think we win 30 games. 

we need to establish a new culture from Day 1...demand maximum effort from our players, continual improvement...team first.  I don't care about individual stats...it's about winning...JV in Toronto walked the talk on team first...Kawhi in every interview talked about just wins...so while I get it that we may struggle in Year 1, there is no room for excuses and accepting almost any loss...were young, were inexperienced, we don't know each other, we have a new coach, we have a new GM...ALL EXCUSES....Al Davis quote, "just win baby"

12 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I care about the pick being owed Boston but not that Boston is getting a pick. It's not the franchise's responsibility to make sure Boston doesn't get a great pick. It's the franchise's job to make the most of the picks.

I agree that the objective is to grow the team now and for me that means keeping this year's pick and letting Boston have the pick next year. That way the team has three top lottery picks, a steal in the 20s and a young core to build around for a couple of seasons. 

3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I care about the pick being owed Boston but not that Boston is getting a pick. It's not the franchise's responsibility to make sure Boston doesn't get a great pick. It's the franchise's job to make the most of the picks.

I agree that the objective is to grow the team now and for me that means keeping this year's pick and letting Boston have the pick next year. That way the team has three top lottery picks, a steal in the 20s and a young core to build around for a couple of seasons. 

Still, the deal is done.  There doesn't appear to be any way to change it.  Move on.

44 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Still, the deal is done.  There doesn't appear to be any way to change it.  Move on.

I agree to move on but if its the All-Star break and the team is within range of being a bottom 3 team, it makes a lot of sense to give Allen, Caboclo, Melton, Yuta and others more playing time also. There is nothing that can be done about giving the pick most likely but you can delay as long as possible while trying to improve the overall quality of the team. 

8 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I agree to move on but if its the All-Star break and the team is within range of being a bottom 3 team, it makes a lot of sense to give Allen, Caboclo, Melton, Yuta and others more playing time also. There is nothing that can be done about giving the pick most likely but you can delay as long as possible while trying to improve the overall quality of the team. 

Play to make your team better, regardless of whether or not they are bottom three.  If we end up there - fine, but don't sacrifice growth of your top players just to gamble on a pick.

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Play to make your team better, regardless of whether or not they are bottom three.  If we end up there - fine, but don't sacrifice growth of your top players just to gamble on a pick.

That is my opinion when the team has a shot at the playoffs. Otherwise playing for the pick makes the most sense to me. Top 6 picks have an incredibly high probability of making it in the NBA. One more year of letting everyone play and **** the record makes a lot of sense to me. IN JJJ's 3rd season, Morant and Clarke's second season with another top 6 pick is very attractive for the future.