Lugan Village

Will Grizzlies have a top-10 two star pairing at end of current season?

2 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

As of right now? I think Jamal Murray/Nikola Jokic and Trae Young/John Collins are clearly better, and Porzingis/Doncic are as well depending on Porzingis' health. Would probably put Bagley and Fox above them as well, and then I see Culver/KAT equal as of now (KAT > JJJ, but Ja's potential > Culver's).

I think Ja/ jaren has a higher potential than Murray and Jokic, probably even than KP and Doncic. Collins and Trae and our combo I think will be the best duos in the NBA in a few years. 

Be prepared for disappointing rookie mistakes with Ja and enjoy the great times.

He's not going to be great next year for those watching on a regular basis (as opposed to just seeing the twitter and SportsCenter highlights).   

Don't forget these guys are young dudes playing in a man's league.  If one sets unrealistic expectations for next year, there will be great disappointment.  

16 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Be prepared for disappointing rookie mistakes with Ja and enjoy the great times.

He's not going to be great next year for those watching on a regular basis (as opposed to just seeing the twitter and SportsCenter highlights).   

Don't forget these guys are young dudes playing in a man's league.  If one sets unrealistic expectations for next year, there will be great disappointment.  

People should remember that JJJ had a great rookie season by all standards, and that included lots of games with poor showings or being benched due to fouls. Ja is going to go through the same growing pains.

I think the grizzlies are going to get better defensively, with who we got, than we have been. I also think that Tyus is going to make the grizzlies a lot better team than we would have been. We will see, but the grizzlies have too much talent to be like the suns have been the last few years.

Jaren and Ja won't even be the two best players on this team next year, it will be Tyus and Jonas.

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Jaren and Ja won't even be the two best players on this team next year, it will be Tyus and Jonas.

Bawahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Bawahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Ahhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

5 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I think the grizzlies are going to get better defensively, with who we got, than we have been. I also think that Tyus is going to make the grizzlies a lot better team than we would have been. We will see, but the grizzlies have too much talent to be like the suns have been the last few years.

Someone get KBM his meds please. 

5 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

This isn't an outrageous statement.   A proven productive vet and PG with top assist to turnover ration in NBA history being better than a second year player and rookie is very logical. 

5 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

This isn't an outrageous statement.   A proven productive vet and PG with top assist to turnover ration in NBA history being better than a second year player and rookie is very logical. 

I could see it if JA sees lots of mins at the 2 next to tyus .

4 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

I could see it if JA sees lots of mins at the 2 next to tyus .

I mean it's possible.  I was just pointing out that  part wasn't a KBM Hot Take Special.   Jonas is a good player and Tyus is more experienced. 

I just need to know if Jaren is going to improve his fouling issue before i can predict how great he will be this season. 

4 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Bawahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Bawahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Ahhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

26 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Someone get KBM his meds please. 

Comical.

41 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

They are going to force fed Ja the ball until he gets it and run every play for him so if he isnt better than a guy who averaged like 5 points and 4 assists last year (dont care to look it up) then we are in trouble for the future. Tyus is an average backup at best, possibly below average so Ja needs to be better than him as a rookie.

3 minutes ago, Dwash said:

They are going to force fed Ja the ball until he gets it and run every play for him so if he isnt better than a guy who averaged like 5 points and 4 assists last year (dont care to look it up) then we are in trouble for the future. Tyus is an average backup at best, possibly below average so Ja needs to be better than him as a rookie.

Its very possible that Tyus is better than 5pts and 4 assists in a more prominent role.   It is also very possible that Ja struggles greatly as a rookie.    We already know Jonas is a double double machine so he is a good productive player.   

I am just saying that Tyus and Jonas being more productive than Ja + Jaren next year isn't out of the realm of possibilities.     Jonas was a Lottery pick too.     This isn't like saying Jevon Carter and Ivan Rabb could be better.   

Ja and Jaren ARE the most talented players on the team.   I am just saying its possible for Tyus and Jonas to be more productive.   

14 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Its very possible that Tyus is better than 5pts and 4 assists in a more prominent role.   It is also very possible that Ja struggles greatly as a rookie.    We already know Jonas is a double double machine so he is a good productive player.   

I am just saying that Tyus and Jonas being more productive than Ja + Jaren next year isn't out of the realm of possibilities.     Jonas was a Lottery pick too.     This isn't like saying Jevon Carter and Ivan Rabb could be better.   

Ja and Jaren ARE the most talented players on the team.   I am just saying its possible for Tyus and Jonas to be more productive.   

We hope that Ja is an All NBA type pg. Look at the what the top pgs did as rookies. Steph, Dame, CP3, Wall, Kyrie. Even two last year in Young and Sexton. Head and shoulders better than an average backup by the end of year one and not even close.  If Ja isnt better than Tyus and he isnt being misused (eg. Deron Williams as a rookie) then it isnt a good sign. Thats what Im saying, an All NBA hopeful rookie *should* be better than Tyus who can distribute well but has little offensive game. Tyus is pretty close to maxed out unless he dramatically improves his shooting.

22 minutes ago, Dwash said:

We hope that Ja is an All NBA type pg. Look at the what the top pgs did as rookies. Steph, Dame, CP3, Wall, Kyrie. Even two last year in Young and Sexton. Head and shoulders better than an average backup by the end of year one and not even close.  If Ja isnt better than Tyus and he isnt being misused (eg. Deron Williams as a rookie) then it isnt a good sign. Thats what Im saying, an All NBA type player *should* be better than Tyus who can distribute well but has little offensive game. Tyus is pretty close to maxed out unless he dramatically improves his shooting.

oh yea that is definitely what i am banking on as far as Ja goes.  But i also don't want to be disappointed if he struggles his first season.   The jumper and lack of size will make the transition more difficult.   It really sux we didn't get to see him in the SL.     My BC fandom went thru the roof after watching him. 

40 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

But that isn't what KBM is saying. His original comment, that you previously said was not outrageous, was that Tyus and Jonas would be the "best players on the team." Not most productive but the best. 

If he had said they would be most productive it wouldn't have been so outlandish.  Still probably not accurate but not nearly as outrageous. 

18 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

oh yea that is definitely what i am banking on as far as Ja goes.  But i also don't want to be disappointed if he struggles his first season.   The jumper and lack of size will make the transition more difficult.   It really sux we didn't get to see him in the SL.     My BC fandom went thru the roof after watching him. 

I dont know about dissappointed but if he isnt giving atleast 13 and 6 after we turn over the team to him I would be a bit concerned.

17 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

But that isn't what KBM is saying. His original comment, that you previously said was not outrageous, was that Tyus and Jonas would be the "best players on the team." Not most productive but the best. 

If he had said they would be most productive it wouldn't have been so outlandish.  Still probably not accurate but not nearly as outrageous. 

Good point.  I agree with you. 

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

Good point.  I agree with you. 

Oh darn. You know what that means when we agree with each other...

Image result for armageddon gif

If Tyus and JV are your best players next year, we are in more trouble than we think. This is more so related to JJJ than it is Ja. I do anticipate Ja having his rookie slumps, but I would also expect him to be good enough to make 1st Team All-Rookie. JJJ was our 3rd best player last season and even looked like our best to 2nd best player at times. 

If he's not the best player out there considering the structure of our roster, we may be in trouble long term. This either means JJJ still struggles with foul issues and has not progressed his game from his rookie season. I fully anticipate his usage to go up, so I fully expect him to be our best player while getting the most touches. I expect Jonas touches to go down (his usage last season was a career best 31.4%). It should go back down to that 20-22 range next year.

8 hours ago, BHZMAFIA said:

If Tyus and JV are your best players next year, we are in more trouble than we think. This is more so related to JJJ than it is Ja. I do anticipate Ja having his rookie slumps, but I would also expect him to be good enough to make 1st Team All-Rookie. JJJ was our 3rd best player last season and even looked like our best to 2nd best player at times. 

If he's not the best player out there considering the structure of our roster, we may be in trouble long term. This either means JJJ still struggles with foul issues and has not progressed his game from his rookie season. I fully anticipate his usage to go up, so I fully expect him to be our best player while getting the most touches. I expect Jonas touches to go down (his usage last season was a career best 31.4%). It should go back down to that 20-22 range next year.

I could be wrong but I do believe that Taylor Jenkins is going to focus more on defense than he is on offense with jaren. In fact I think the whole team is going to be defensive first minded.

oh yeah and I could literally say the sky is blue and Chip will say no it's not blolue there's white clouds in the sky or something...

I think I need to get it together.

10 hours ago, chipc3 said:

So let me break this down to chip, like he is 3 years old. When I use best, I am specifically talking about what players will contribute most to wins and loses.

I take offense to the word talent being used to separate players into categories and I prefer to use the most potential. If you are asking me who has the most potential, it would be: Ja, followed by Jaren, followed by Dillion Brooks, Tyus and Bruno.

And in point of fact, I would say that Jonas, then Jaren over Tyus, then Ja following the rear as who I think are the best. But I assumed I was refuting the Ja and Jaren over Tyus being better than Ja and then Jonas better than Jaren.

And let me just point out that when people say that the grizzlies should not have signed Jonas on a team that is rebuilding, they are essentially saying that Jaren is not ready to lead the team to the playoffs so why do when need a vet. I'm saying that Jaren next year won't be better than a 6 year vet, which is essentially the same thing.

If y'all want me to respond to a hero worshiping thread with the heroes y'all want worshiped, then use the correct term next time. Don't use vague terms such as BEST, it will lead to confusion.  

On 7/19/2019 at 4:00 PM, chipc3 said:

If Jonas is not the most productive player on a team i will eat a crow at the end of the season.

20/10 would be a disappointment for Jonas.

On 7/19/2019 at 5:04 PM, BHZMAFIA said:

You expect too much....you might be disappointed.

3 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

If Jonas is not the most productive player on a team i will eat a crow at the end of the season.

20/10 would be a disappointment for Jonas.

Jonas has never had close to a 20/10 season, I think you may be shooting a bit too high.