Sign in to follow this  
KyleB

Trade with Dallas

I keep reading that the hold up for the Grizzlies dealing Iguodala to Dallas is that the Grizzlies don't want to take back Courtney Lee's salary. I don't get it, he is on an expiring and makes 5 mil less than Iguodala. If Dallas is willing to give up a pick I don't see why you wouldn't do that deal. You save 5 mil in salary for this year and of the three teams interested there is a good chance that the pick we would get from Dallas would be higher than any pick we would get from Houston or the Clippers. Are they just wanting Dallas to absorb his entire salary? Lee would also fill a hole in the roster and we don't really have any young prospects that he would be taking minutes from unless they really think Grayson Allen is going to turn into something. Lee could help space the floor for Ja and JJJ which should help with their development.

1 hour ago, KyleB said:

I keep reading that the hold up for the Grizzlies dealing Iguodala to Dallas is that the Grizzlies don't want to take back Courtney Lee's salary. I don't get it, he is on an expiring and makes 5 mil less than Iguodala. If Dallas is willing to give up a pick I don't see why you wouldn't do that deal. You save 5 mil in salary for this year and of the three teams interested there is a good chance that the pick we would get from Dallas would be higher than any pick we would get from Houston or the Clippers. Are they just wanting Dallas to absorb his entire salary? Lee would also fill a hole in the roster and we don't really have any young prospects that he would be taking minutes from unless they really think Grayson Allen is going to turn into something. Lee could help space the floor for Ja and JJJ which should help with their development.

The pick isn't going to be a first rounder from them, that's for sure. They don't have any left to give after the KP trade. They also don't have a lot of 2nds to give since they already gave us two in the Delon trade. 

The best they could do would be to trade Lee and one of their young players like Brunson, Jackson, Finney Smith, or Kleber. I don't see them parting with Brunson or Kleber. Doubtful on Jackson as well. Maybe Finney Smith, but would we even want him? He's not better than Brooks, our Jackson, Kyle, or Bruno. I said this in another thread but I'd do Iggy and Howard for THJ and possibly a 2nd. Gives us a youngish vet that can be a potential answer at SG or at worst a very good, but overpaid role player off the bench. 

Yea honestly none of the teams rumored to want Iggy have anything appealing to trade. Maybe Houston will give us next year's 1st but they would need another team to facilitate the money part. The Iggy deal if there is one isn't going to look all that good most likely we got the best asset on the front end.

I do like how the new F.O. seems to at least be playing hardball in this situation.  I don't know if we're going to get what we want out of this, but it sure seems like we're going to force somebody to give up as much as possible.

1 hour ago, The Truth is OUT said:

I do like how the new F.O. seems to at least be playing hardball in this situation.  I don't know if we're going to get what we want out of this, but it sure seems like we're going to force somebody to give up as much as possible.

I'm liking the new FO too, we already got one first for taking him, another first or a decent young prospect would be nice but even if the just buy him out at the trade deadline I still like the iggy trade

What we can get for Iggy may not be better than just keeping him. Someone will need him later in the season. 
Of course, that's just as true if we buy him out. 

Keeping him as a mentor for two months might mean giving up young potential. Some of the young potentials aren't going to make it in the NBA -- but which ones? You have to roll them out there to find out. If Iggy stays, someone doesn't get that chance. 

Or ... What if they are thinking "let's keep him as Josh J's supervisor till we decide about Josh" ?

I still think the pacers or det should pick up iggy or even crowder , howard etc .matching salary and after so much movement sending 2 for 1 could be the hold up. 

With hou not wanting to go so far into the Lux tax I guess iman for iggy then Rabbs non guaranteed deal for a someone hou doesn't want may help.

Maybe PHX 2nd for hou 1st and hou has our 2nd so I doubt picks are the big  hold up with Hou. I think I read that iggy cost them around 30m once you include tax .

Lee for iggy work but like someone pointed out dal doesn't have many picks left but our FO seems to be ok taking picks pretty far into the future.

8 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Lee for iggy work but like someone pointed out dal doesn't have many picks left but our FO seems to be ok taking picks pretty far into the future.

The thing with future picks from other teams is they can be used to engineer trades later on. If you have a 2025 1st from DAL you can later package it in a trade for some potential core piece without having to spend your own picks as CW did.

14 hours ago, TimBC said:

What we can get for Iggy may not be better than just keeping him. Someone will need him later in the season. 
Of course, that's just as true if we buy him out. 

Keeping him as a mentor for two months might mean giving up young potential. Some of the young potentials aren't going to make it in the NBA -- but which ones? You have to roll them out there to find out. If Iggy stays, someone doesn't get that chance. 

Or ... What if they are thinking "let's keep him as Josh J's supervisor till we decide about Josh" ?

I doubt he will be much of a mentor when he tweets about modern slavery and doesn't want to be here. That tweet was offensive on multiple levels. The dude is set to make over 17 mil this season and wants to equate his plight of being held to a contract he signed to that of people who were abducted from their homeland and forced into slavery. If they can't find a trade for him I'd be in favor of keeping him but giving him the Parsons treatment, send him away but don't buy him out. That is unless he is willing to negotiate a severely reduced buyout. If he would be willing to take something like 2 mil then I'd be willing to buy him out and let him sign wherever he wants to sign.

Everyone needs to remember the trade idea came from a columnist at a Dallas Newspaper's tweet. It was his idea not a leak from either organization. Someone responded that Courtney Lee for Iguodala wasn't enough for Memphis so the columnist suggested throwing in two 2nd round picks as well. 

The is a classic rumor becoming fact story. There is no proof that Dallas offered this trade or that Memphis rejected it. It's pure conjecture by a Dallas columnist (not even the Mavs beat writer). This is like Geoff Calkins suggesting a trade on twitter and everyone acting like it is an actual thing.