JĖGAAAAAA!!!

FIBA WC 2019, China

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I hope for Memphis' sake you are correct. The team has had its fill of unfortunate injuries over the last few years. 

Don't tell me that. Lithuanian basketball National Team or clubs or players had a horror story with injuries. Starting with Arvydas Sabonis, not yet in his prime, but by majority of basketball experts labeled as the best player in the world (including, yes, NBA), rupturing his Achilles tendon twice!!! After that he was like 10%-20% of his old self. Big Z and his feet problem. Guy even considering retiring, but somehow manged through. Extremely athletic C Robertas Javtokas went for a motorcycle ride - destroyed his knee in the accident completely. And the list goes on and on, and on... We are talking not about very good Lithuanian bball players, we are talking about the best :(

Hopefully, with the current advancement in the sports medicine, training and preparation, post injury recoveries - basketball world will have less problems with their best players taken out of action because of some very unlucky injuries, accidents, diseases and etc. At least myself now I am less worried about something bad and unexpected happening.

BTW, maybe JJJ could join LTU training camp. Exceptional fitness program and during preparation and friendlies he could develop a feeling to play with JV. That would be smart,  fun, and will provide immediate results when the NBA regular season starts.

1 minute ago, JĖGAAAAAA!!! said:

Don't tell me that. Lithuanian basketball National Team or clubs or players had a horror story with injuries. Starting with Arvydas Sabonis, not yet in his prime, but by majority of basketball experts labeled as the best player in the world (including, yes, NBA), rupturing his Achilles tendon twice!!! After that he was like 10%-20% of his old self. Big Z and his feet problem. Guy even considering retiring, but somehow manged through. Extremely athletic C Robertas Javtokas went for a motorcycle ride - destroyed his knee in the accident completely. And the list goes on and on, and on... We are talking not about very good Lithuanian bball players, we are talking about the best :(

Hopefully, with the current advancement in the sports medicine, training and preparation, post injury recoveries - basketball world will have less problems with their best players taken out of action because of some very unlucky injuries, accidents, diseases and etc. At least myself now I am less worried about something bad and unexpected happening.

BTW, maybe JJJ could join LTU training camp. Exceptional fitness program and during preparation and friendlies he could develop a feeling to play with JV. That would be smart,  fun, and will provide immediate results when the NBA regular season starts.

You admit that many players on the Lithuanian team have a history of getting injured, some career ending, while playing for the Lithuania. You then ask my to be excited and cheer for Jonas on this team and suggest that JJJ, who missed a third of his rookie season with injury, should train with the team as well...

Sorry. I have changed my mind. I now completely don't want JV playing for them this summer. 

22 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

You admit that many players on the Lithuanian team have a history of getting injured, some career ending, while playing for the Lithuania. You then ask my to be excited and cheer for Jonas on this team and suggest that JJJ, who missed a third of his rookie season with injury, should train with the team as well...

Sorry. I have changed my mind. I now completely don't want JV playing for them this summer. 

Oh boy... You got me completely wrong. Arvydas Sabonis got injuries started in 1985, 34 years ago. Lithuania at   time enjoyed the occupation from USSR. Training facilities and medical care for the athletes were medieval, the best...

Big Z's injuries started in 1994. The country just got independent and underwent bigger economical recession than USA during the Big Depression. Some training facilities even were not heated during the cold months due to the Russians blockade of oil, gas and everything else.

Robertas Javtokas was just a young fool. 6'11" dude took a bike ride with the speedy Yamaha or Honda bike. Now everybody knows - don't ride bikes or go skying or do other stuff. it's their contracts, it's in the insurance policies.

Lithuanian basketball got all that "experience" the hard way. Now they are extremely cautious and careful with their approach to the players health. I think since Euro 2003, when Lithuania won it all and kicked butt to the young Paul   Gasol I can't recall ANY serious injury during the preparation cycle and actual competitions.

You may express your wants and don't wants, concerns and worries, but JV is a seasoned pro. Playing for the LTU Team in China will help him to prepare for the next NBA season. Always, after summers spent in Lithuania, JV would join raptors team in an exceptional shape. And if JV felt that playing in the WC would impeded his pro career in the NBA - he wouldn't play. and nobody would cry a river, LTU has plenty of quality bigs.

So, my dear Grizzlies fan - relax, it's all good :)

Sabonis' injuries were completely mishandled by the Soviet doctors and he was reduced to a (still impressive) shadow of who he was. Which unfortunately has created an warped image of him in the US because he arrived to the NBA with very limited mobility. So when people say the best international player ever in the NBA was Dirk Nowitzki, I agree, but when they say he was the best international player ever, period, I can't help but laughing.

1 hour ago, JĖGAAAAAA!!! said:

Oh boy... You got me completely wrong. Arvydas Sabonis got injuries started in 1985, 34 years ago. Lithuania at   time enjoyed the occupation from USSR. Training facilities and medical care for the athletes were medieval, the best...

Big Z's injuries started in 1994. The country just got independent and underwent bigger economical recession than USA during the Big Depression. Some training facilities even were not heated during the cold months due to the Russians blockade of oil, gas and everything else.

Robertas Javtokas was just a young fool. 6'11" dude took a bike ride with the speedy Yamaha or Honda bike. Now everybody knows - don't ride bikes or go skying or do other stuff. it's their contracts, it's in the insurance policies.

Lithuanian basketball got all that "experience" the hard way. Now they are extremely cautious and careful with their approach to the players health. I think since Euro 2003, when Lithuania won it all and kicked butt to the young Paul   Gasol I can't recall ANY serious injury during the preparation cycle and actual competitions.

You may express your wants and don't wants, concerns and worries, but JV is a seasoned pro. Playing for the LTU Team in China will help him to prepare for the next NBA season. Always, after summers spent in Lithuania, JV would join raptors team in an exceptional shape. And if JV felt that playing in the WC would impeded his pro career in the NBA - he wouldn't play. and nobody would cry a river, LTU has plenty of quality bigs.

So, my dear Grizzlies fan - relax, it's all good :)

OK..I am big JV and Lithuanian basketball fan...I will wear my skull tie dye shirt via grateful dead as good luck charm...but to be perfectly honest the lithuanian basketball depth is taking a hit, it's not like it was 5 years ago, declining pop etc....and JV is head and shoulders above any other lithuanian center...I sense Canadian basketball depth is taking a serious run with its talent and LTU may be slipping...prove me wrong...but it is what it is....

55 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

OK..I am big JV and Lithuanian basketball fan...I will wear my skull tie dye shirt via grateful dead as good luck charm...but to be perfectly honest the Lithuanian basketball depth is taking a hit, it's not like it was 5 years ago, declining pop etc....and JV is head and shoulders above any other Lithuanian center...I sense Canadian basketball depth is taking a serious run with its talent and LTU may be slipping...prove me wrong...but it is what it is....

Lithuanian bigs? What about Domantas Sabonis (he is getting better with every passing day), Donatas Motiejūnas (can't comprehend the fall-out between him and head coach Adomaitis), Artūras Gudaitis (extremely efficient, but had a bad injury playing for Olympia, Milan), and there are 5-7 youngsters coming up through the junior teams. SF - loaded, we have good SG in Grigonis.

PG position after Šarūnas Jasikevičius got old and retired was always a problem - not anymore now. We have Lukas Lekavičius, couple other solid PGs play in the LKL, Mantas Kalnietis is still serviceable. Arnas Velička is just 19, but already ready for the senior team. Rokas Jokūbaitis is a another gem in the making, under  the wing of Jasikevičius in "Žalgiris" organization.

So no, Lithuanian basketball is in good shape. Even if someone is not available due to injuries in their club competition, or are ready to give up the spot in the senior team to younger guys - not a tragedy at all.

Prior years, Arvydas Sabonis retired from the national Team after 1999 EC, Žydrūnas Ilgauskas had to take care of his body. Even then he was willing to play - no insurance was available to him. Macijauskas and Kleiza retired too early, knee problems. But plenty of young and good guys are ready to take their place.

If everything will go smoothly during the preparation for the WC - LTU team will be very formidable. And JV - he is one of the best C in FIBA rules basketball on both ends of the floor.

Once again - it is going to be a celebration of basketball in China, and good luck to all teams. Let the best ones share the podium and show an example to all young basketball players all around the world how beautiful this game is. If played the right way.

I hope your kinda right, I would like to see LTU advance...the challenge is basketball is getting better everywhere...and Canada/LTU game could be a classic...im pirmosios kartos lietuvis ir didžiuotis. Mama, gimusi Klapeidoje, ir tėtis Vilniuje ...

On 7/18/2019 at 10:27 AM, chipc3 said:

I hope JV doesn't get hurt. 

That's my fear

Feel like Conley should get a shot on team USA. Guards are dropping off like flies and I know he got cut from the last olympic team at the end (for Dame, Russ, etc. so it objectively made sense). 

5 hours ago, Lugan Village said:

I hope your kinda right, I would like to see LTU advance...the challenge is basketball is getting better everywhere...and Canada/LTU game could be a classic...im pirmosios kartos lietuvis ir didžiuotis. Mama, gimusi Klapeidoje, ir tėtis Vilniuje ...

I'm from Chicago, but I was born and raised in Lithuania. That's why when I saw your username "Lugan Village" - everything was more or less clear to me ;)

On 7/17/2019 at 9:29 AM, chipc3 said:

True. Knowledge is power but all knowledge isn't Grizzlies related. That's why there are different forums for discussions just like there are different classes in school. for different subject matters. 

0672144f-3791-4521-8694-6affd2aeb980_thu

This class is culturally biased.

On 7/19/2019 at 10:01 AM, JĖGAAAAAA!!! said:

A little off topic but it's a shame more people don't know about Dražen Petrović of croatia who was becoming one of the top players in the NBA before his tragic death.  The guy averaged around 22ppg his final two seasons with the Nets.   A 44% career shooter from three.  But he was good at everything... offense, defense, ball handling, etc.  A complete ball player and a great athlete.

quote:

It was a thrill to play against Dražen. Every time we competed, he competed with an aggressive attitude. He wasn't nervous; he came at me as hard as I came at him. So we've had some great battles in the past and unfortunately, they were short battles.  - Michael Jordan

32 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

A little off topic but it's a shame more people don't know about Dražen Petrović of croatia who was becoming one of the top players in the NBA before his tragic death.  The guy averaged around 22ppg his final two seasons with the Nets.   A 44% career shooter from three.  But he was good at everything... offense, defense, ball handling, etc.  A complete ball player and a great athlete.

quote:

It was a thrill to play against Dražen. Every time we competed, he competed with an aggressive attitude. He wasn't nervous; he came at me as hard as I came at him. So we've had some great battles in the past and unfortunately, they were short battles.  - Michael Jordan

It was so sad. Dražen  was just getting into his own in the NBA. He had so many good years ahead of him. RIP.

On 7/19/2019 at 4:44 PM, Zappastache said:

Feel like Conley should get a shot on team USA. Guards are dropping off like flies and I know he got cut from the last olympic team at the end (for Dame, Russ, etc. so it objectively made sense). 

That's what I was thinking.  Great intangibles and plays "mistake-free" basketball basically.  Would be an ideal rotation guard.  

Not that I want our guys to risk injury, but Jaren would be an ideal fit on this team -- even now.  

I think Jaren will get an invite to try out for the 2020 team and should be a lock at the '23 World Cup, with 2024 and 2028 being two Olympic teams that Jaren should have a shot at being on. Same with Ja Morant.  

Team USA guards look ok, weak at forward, decent at center. I wonder if Zion gets a shot to make the team.  Could be great for us, like having Sir Charles on the Dream Team.  

I can see Tre Young, Zion, Jaren, Ja, and probably RJ Barrett (could be better in international competition) basically running our international teams sooner rather than later.  

2 hours ago, bhoyal said:

quote:

Absolutely. Such a tragedy.

8 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

With all these players dropping out from Team USA, I wonder if any of our guys will get an invite.

Zion dropped out of the Select team.  I would think Jaren should be getting a look....

The US team ain't that great, still solid though with Lillard, Kemba, and some high level semi-star types but that is about it.  Not much room for error.  Marvin Bagley III is on the select team, and I wonder if he ends up making the big boy team -- great athlete, high energy... the regular team doesn't have a guy like that.  MBIII would be a good fit next to a floor stretching big man like Kevin Love or Brook Lopez.

I can see Jaren and Ja being on tons of US teams (both World Cup and Olympic).

Kemba will be the main pg, but I bet MC will have a look too. In our case, I hope they invite Jaren, because that would allow him to recruit some ppl to join him here and also to devolop his game. Also would be great to see Jaren/Bagley duo and Jaren x JV on the World Cup.

So we could possible have 5 players : Guduric, Yuta, Caboclo, JV and Jaren in the Cup if everything goes right.

3 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

I hope they invite Jaren, because that would allow him to recruit some ppl to join him here

very very good point!!

7 hours ago, Lugan Village said:

Our Brookes and Clarke on on Team Canada roster at FIBA...

Forgot about them. They made it?