Sign in to follow this  
Dwash

East vs. West imbalance

Offseason topic since things are dying down. I was on the realgm board and they had a topic on which teams had the best futures with no additions. The teams that mostly came up were the Hawks, Pels, Suns, Grizzlies, Kings, Mavs, Twolves. Notice only one of those teams is from the East. So that got me to thinking...how is the West dominating the league for the last 15-20 years and appears to be in line to dominate for years to come?

You got the playoff teams or teams with that individual experience/proven talent level. LAC, LAL, GSW, Hou, Utah, Denver, Portland, SAS. The first 6 would probably be the favorites to win the East. The last two would be in the conversation.

Then you want to tell me that the Pels, Suns, Grizzlies, Kings, Mavs and Twolves (dont really agree cause of you know who but not going down that road) have some of the best collection of young talent. Some even think that Russell could be a Twolf this year, giving them all atleast two potential Allstar players (maybe except NO, but they got big depth and Laker picks coming up)

Then OKC even with a full rebuild squad could probably be a 4-6 seed in the East right now and then they have like 15 first rounders in the next 7 drafts.

At some point I dont know how this can be brushed off as coincidence but there seems to be no end to it even with all the league has done to create parity. Why is the East not coming up? Bad management? Bad drafts? Bad luck? Player preference? I cant see any real reason.

The Knicks have just been horribly mismanaged for so long that they are no longer the free agent draw that they should be.  I think the Nets, the Bucks and the Celtics all have pretty bright futures and the Sixers have a bright present.  The only structural difference I see is that players prefer LA over NY.

7 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Offseason topic since things are dying down. I was on the realgm board and they had a topic on which teams had the best futures with no additions. The teams that mostly came up were the Hawks, Pels, Suns, Grizzlies, Kings, Mavs, Twolves. Notice only one of those teams is from the East. So that got me to thinking...how is the West dominating the league for the last 15-20 years and appears to be in line to dominate for years to come?

You got the playoff teams or teams with that individual experience/proven talent level. LAC, LAL, GSW, Hou, Utah, Denver, Portland, SAS. The first 6 would probably be the favorites to win the East. The last two would be in the conversation.

Then you want to tell me that the Pels, Suns, Grizzlies, Kings, Mavs and Twolves (dont really agree cause of you know who but not going down that road) have some of the best collection of young talent. Some even think that Russell could be a Twolf this year, giving them all atleast two potential Allstar players (maybe except NO, but they got big depth and Laker picks coming up)

Then OKC even with a full rebuild squad could probably be a 4-6 seed in the East right now and then they have like 15 first rounders in the next 7 drafts.

At some point I dont know how this can be brushed off as coincidence but there seems to be no end to it even with all the league has done to create parity. Why is the East not coming up? Bad management? Bad drafts? Bad luck? Player preference? I cant see any real reason.

That's why I've always wanted to be in the East. Lebron going west certainly didn't help the imbalance. Same with Kawhi. I think if the Knicks could ever become relevant that would go a long way to bolstering the rest of the East. Teams need something to chase. For the last 5 years it's been the warriors. Now it's the LA teams.

Maybe the bucks become the warriors of the east that people have to load up to try to beat, but I just don't see it happening with them. Maybe the Sixers? Who knows. There are plenty of bad organizations in the east though. Charlotte for one, Cleveland, Washington, and obviously New York are pretty terrible. There's only really Phoenix in the west, maybe the kings. 

4 hours ago, Dwash said:

Players control their careers more now.  They have more power deciding where they are going to play.  No one wants to play in the rust belt cities.  Out of the big markets Chicago is less desirable than it once was, New York Knicks are a mess, Brooklyn is just starting to gain enough respect to draw FAs, Miami is the only glamour draw for FAs.  Everyone wants to play in CA.  The other major cities in the west are growing larger, while eastern cities are shrinking or getting stagnant.  That's my guess, at least for free agents.  Drafting?  IDK unless Chris Wallace is moonlighting for all the teams in the East.

1. Better managed teams in West

2. Eastern conference bad teams have their record inflated by playing more bad teams more often, whereas bad Western Conference teams have their record deflated by playing more good teams more often.  Therefore, if there was a team that would be 28 wins in a true balanced schedule, if that team played in the East, they probably would be 30-32 win team, but in the West they are probably 24-26 wins.

3. People in Northeast are always grumpy.  Who wants to be around that?