Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Summer Doldrums

Well the draft has passed and the rookies are signed. Summer League is over but it was a ton of fun for a change. The big name free agents have been re-routed to their new destinations (although a few did stay home too). The Women's World Cup and the Men's Gold Cup tournaments are over as well. 

That leaves baseball and the long delayed 2019-20 schedule release as the only reasons people have to stay indoors watching sports for a while and the schedule isn't usually released until around the 2nd week of August.

So basically we are looking at four more weeks of people posting trade ideas (usually that have no chance of actually happening). Then we will have the posters criticizing the players they don't like (best bets will be Grayson Allen and Kyle Anderson but there will be a few JVs and Bruno's thrown in as well I am sure). Then the retaliatory posts about players that people feel deserve more playing time simply because they haven't gotten much in the past or need less playing time to develop players in positions they don't play. There will be the upbeat thread starts by KBM when he's on his meds predicting the Grizzlies in the playoffs and the downbeat threads when he is off them suggesting they will have the worst record in the league but still have to give their pick to Boston in the Jeff Green trade because the league hates Memphis.  

There will be a few threads predicting the lineups (will Dillon start over Grayson? will Kyle start over Jae?) There will be the prediction threads about who will be injured and who will be healthy and how many games the team will win or lose. There will be the JV fans updating everyone on how he's doing in the Euro Championships and the threads praying that he doesn't get injured like Pau did. 

There won't be any way to stop the number of new threads that will be started that can't be answered or already have been posted but before this month of tedium kicks off in full force, I just want to wish everyone a great summer. Get out and get some sun, take your significant other out to the park for a romantic lunch or to a nice restaurant for dinner and just put the Grizzlies on the back burner for a while and enjoy everything Memphis has to offer. 

It won't be long before we are back to our obsession. 

15 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

An entire post to complain about future posts. 

But he did wish you a happy Summer afterwards!

Chip shouldnt be seeing thread starter minutes hes only hurting the development of new posters

Regarding preseason basketball

The NZ Breakers team that RJ Hampton plays for will play preseason game at FEF, so that's something of interest. 

I suppose that for those who like predictions, there could be guesses on preseason opponents.

My guess

Pelicans (twice)

Rockets

Hawks

Thunder

NZ Breakers

Ima be heavy on those Rico Hines player workout videos. Might make a thread about that, like I should’ve last year when Chandler Parsons looked like he was playing on one leg. 

Hopefully we get a JJJ/Ja sighting 

46 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Chip shouldnt be seeing thread starter minutes hes only hurting the development of new posters

this made me do a spit-take! LMAO

What' wrong with you, the British Open is on this week and the Fed Ex Cup starts and then the Presidents' Cup. Man does not live for BB alone and then you can throw in those GREAT NFL exhibition games. :( I've gotten to the point I don't even watch much regular season football. I used to quit playing golf when their regular season started. 

1 hour ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Should we buy him out ?lol 

46 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

off topic? 

just kidding. don’t forget the wgc event at southwind! 

slim. 

That's a reason to get outside not watch TV inside. 

41 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

Should we buy him out ?lol 

I accept travelers checks! 

33 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Wow. I prefer what the new Front Office is doing. If a player wants to be bought out, trade him for assets and let someone else pay him to walk away. 

:)

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Unrelated, but I wonder how many people on this board remember going to bank and getting & using travelers cheques/checks.

I'm trying to think of last time I remember seeing them get used.  Maybe 1994?

40 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Unrelated, but I wonder how many people on this board remember going to bank and getting & using travelers cheques/checks.

I'm trying to think of last time I remember seeing them get used.  Maybe 1994?

I used them once in like 2008 when I was studying abroad and I wasn't sure how I'd be able to get $ from ATMs. 

36 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

I used them once in like 2008 when I was studying abroad and I wasn't sure how I'd be able to get $ from ATMs. 

If you have a first Tennessee bank account the building downtown I think on the 6th or 8th floor if I remember right, has a foreign currency exchange counter, you can exchange dollars for any world currency with no exchange fee, I'm old enough to remember travelers checks, always alot of time spent trying to cash them every 100 bucks or so

Let's talk baseball!  (As in ... when will pre-season start?  I'm tired of baseball!)

31 minutes ago, Ace-is-high said:

If you have a first Tennessee bank account the building downtown I think on the 6th or 8th floor if I remember right, has a foreign currency exchange counter, you can exchange dollars for any world currency with no exchange fee, I'm old enough to remember travelers checks, always alot of time spent trying to cash them every 100 bucks or so

Good to know! (though I live in Chicago 😂)

FIBA basketball is coming up and NFL camps and preseason is close as well 

7 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

Wow. I prefer what the new Front Office is doing. If a player wants to be bought out, trade him for assets and let someone else pay him to walk away. 

:)

Classic!

By the way, sorry for the pissy thread. I must have been more tired and bored than I realized this morning although some of the slams have been really funny. Thanks for making me laugh on a bleary rainy day.

We can use this thread to keep our summer league dynasty going.  

Who are some under-the-radar ballers who can help keep the dream alive and give us the repeat?  I think Dusty is a lifer.  I like that Ben Lawson guy.  In the draft maybe we go with some summer league MVP DNA/lineage.  A Tre Jones perhaps. Or a LaMelo Ball.  Josh Selby and Glen Rice Jr. might be a couple of good bets.  Gimme a reason to fly out to Las Vegas next summer!