10SC-2-TOKYO

Brandon Clarke leads Grizzlies past Pelicans into NBA summer league championship game

Article in the Commercial Appeal

paywall - https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/nba/grizzlies/2019/07/14/brandon-clarke-memphis-grizzlies-make-nba-summer-league-title-game/1731174001/

"The Memphis Grizzlies might be a few years away from competing for an NBA title, but they will play for a championship on Monday.

Memphis advanced to the championship game of the NBA summer league in Las Vegas on Sunday with an 88-86 victory over the New Orleans Pelicans.

The championship game is set for 8 p.m. Central on Monday and will be televised by ESPN2. Memphis will take on the winner of Sunday night's Brooklyn vs. Minnesota game."

"Brandon Clarke led the Grizzlies on Sunday with 23 points and 14 rebounds as he continued a strong summer showing.

The No. 21 overall pick also posted a double-double with 18 points and 12 rebounds in Saturday's quarterfinal victory over Boston."

Didn’t we win the summer league championship a couple years back? Are we on the verge of becoming a dynasty?

Hehe, yes dynasty, and here we are next season.

Dynasty-Warriors-9.jpg

I predict playoffs. Why not.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2019/07/13/memphis-grizzlies-roster-zach-kleimans-vision-materializing/1670431001/

Good article one comment caught my eye as I read it. 

But what is clear is that the Grizzlies are all-in on building around Morant and Jackson.

Jenkins also mentioned Clarke with that duo this past week.

"We’re going to surround Ja and Jaren and Brandon with guys that are going to work hard," Jenkins said.

I think that is correct view because BC should've been a top 10 lottery pick in this draft.   He shouldn't be judged by his draft position. 

Taking into consideration that a future starting lineup SHOULD include those 3.   How do you build around that?   

Finding a young deadeye shooting wing has to be at top of the list.   Then developing Ja and BC 3pt shooting prowess will allow them to fill in anybody at the 5th spot.   Otherwise we will need more shooting. 

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2019/07/13/memphis-grizzlies-roster-zach-kleimans-vision-materializing/1670431001/

Good article one comment caught my eye as I read it. 

But what is clear is that the Grizzlies are all-in on building around Morant and Jackson.

Jenkins also mentioned Clarke with that duo this past week.

"We’re going to surround Ja and Jaren and Brandon with guys that are going to work hard," Jenkins said.

I think that is correct view because BC should've been a top 10 lottery pick in this draft.   He shouldn't be judged by his draft position. 

Taking into consideration that a future starting lineup SHOULD include those 3.   How do you build around that?   

Finding a young deadeye shooting wing has to be at top of the list.   Then developing Ja and BC 3pt shooting prowess will allow them to fill in anybody at the 5th spot.   Otherwise we will need more shooting. 

ja/clark/slowmo/bruno/3js

32 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

ja/clark/slowmo/bruno/3js

why???? SloMo and Bruno?    BC is not a SG and Bruno nor SloMo are shooters. 

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

why???? SloMo and Bruno?    BC is not a SG and Bruno nor SloMo are shooters. 

^^^^ 

can BC be a SF in the big league?

for next 3 years we could have (when we find a shooter)

Ja/Shooter/BC/JJJ/JV

10 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

^^^^ 

can BC be a SF in the big league?

for next 3 years we could have (when we find a shooter)

Ja/Shooter/BC/JJJ/JV

Of course he can but I don't know why everyone just likes to post a starting five.  The five man unit with the most minutes played together last year played only 919 minutes.   The most in the playoffs was 383 in 24 games ~ 16 min per game.  

A good rotation has 8 to 9 guys playing come playoff time with seven getting the bulk of the minutes.   All your lineups need to be good, not just the starting five.

The good thing about BC and JJJ is that they can play multiple positions.  Same with Jae.  Guys like that really make your rotations so much easier.

17 hours ago, Allen said:

Didn’t we win the summer league championship a couple years back? Are we on the verge of becoming a dynasty?

The Grizzlies won the Orlando Pro Summer League title in 2015 after losing in the finals the year before. 

16 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Why did Clarke fall in the draft? Just curious.

The main reason are his unimpressive measurements in terms of height and wingspan which threw/throws into question how his current game will translate into the NBA (plays like a PF/C, has the body of a small forward...with short arms), specifically his ability to guard taller 4s and 5s. Essentially, it was/is hard to see what kind of prototype he can follow to success in the NBA.

Other factors are the fact he'll turn 23 before the season starts, making him one of (if not the) oldest prospects in the draft, even 3 years older than both JJJ and Ja. Lack of an outside shot is also a concern; he didn't really shoot threes, or anything from mid- to outer-range, and his percentages were bad as well - 26.7% from 3PT and 69.4% from free throw line.

(P.S. I'm very pro-Clarke and have been since before the draft, these are just the knocks against him, which are valid but I think he'll overcome).

FWIW, The Ringer was very high on him - Jonathan Tjarks had him #3 on his big board, Danny Chau had him #4, and Kevin O'Connor had him #7.

1 minute ago, ACGrizz said:

The main reason are his unimpressive measurements in terms of height and wingspan which threw/throws into question how his current game will translate into the NBA (plays like a PF/C, has the body of a small forward...with short arms), specifically his ability to guard taller 4s and 5s. Essentially, it was/is hard to see what kind of prototype he can follow to success in the NBA.

Other factors are the fact he'll turn 23 before the season starts, making him one of (if not the) oldest prospects in the draft, even 3 years older than both JJJ and Ja. Lack of an outside shot is also a concern; he didn't really shoot threes, or anything from mid- to outer-range, and his percentages were bad as well - 26.7% from 3PT and 69.4% from free throw line.

(P.S. I'm very pro-Clarke and have been since before the draft, these are just the knocks against him, which are valid but I think he'll overcome).

Yeah, those are fair points, but it still looks like a very big drop in a shallow draft. We'll see how he adapts but I think he can be a solid rotational player.

2 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Yeah, those are fair points, but it still looks like a very big drop in a shallow draft. We'll see how he adapts but I think he can be a solid rotational player.

I think teams just really struggled to envision how he'd mesh into their line-up, and we're very lucky to have a guy like Jaren. Clarke and Jaren really do complement each other very well, as Jaren's ability to hit the three opens up room inside for Clarke to drive, get alley-oops, putbacks, etc. They can also adjust on defense based on match-ups. Essentially, having a guy with center size who has potential to play like a SF (in Jaren), allows us to take a flyer on Clarke who has the size of a small forward but plays like a center.

42 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Why did Clarke fall in the draft? Just curious.

Age, size for the position, wingspan and some concern about skillset.

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

The Grizzlies won the Orlando Pro Summer League title in 2015 after losing in the finals the year before. 

And then we won in 2012. 

Is 3 titles in 7 years a dynasty?

14 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

He got the MVP of the summer league

this season will be exciting to watch for so many reasons 

So cool. 

Hopefully he can help us get the win tonight!

18 minutes ago, Allen said:

And then we won in 2012. 

Is 3 titles in 7 years a dynasty?

It's a (insert air quotes here) "sustainable" dynasty.

2 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

I think teams just really struggled to envision how he'd mesh into their line-up, and we're very lucky to have a guy like Jaren. Clarke and Jaren really do complement each other very well, as Jaren's ability to hit the three opens up room inside for Clarke to drive, get alley-oops, putbacks, etc. They can also adjust on defense based on match-ups. Essentially, having a guy with center size who has potential to play like a SF (in Jaren), allows us to take a flyer on Clarke who has the size of a small forward but plays like a center.

I can see scenarios where we go big with Jonas at center and BOTH Jaren and Clarke at the two forward spots. Or, we go "small" with a Jaren-Clarke-Bruno front line.  

Clarke should be our 6th man, filling in for either Jonas, Jaren, or even our starting small forward.