kevofrommempho

To convey or not to convey

To convey or not to convey?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather the Grizzlies...

• Convey the pick in 2020
    • Or pick in the top 6 in 2020

Rather pick this year. Let’s add to the core with another high draft pick before we start getting serious about the playoffs and, eventually, contending for a title. 

Play to convey. Try to give Boston a pick in the 8-10 range at worst.  

I am thinking even if we get a top 6 pick, no guarantee we make the playoffs in 2021. And supposedly that is a "better" draft at the top.  

Our FO/scouts/Chris Wallace should do a 2020 and 2021 combined big board to optimize when we should pick.  Which draft has more relative value at most spots?  Maybe we would be better off at 6 this in 2020 than 6 in 2021 but better in the top 3 in 2021.  Mid/late first we probably don't know yet.  Those spots are usually fluid.  

We would also need to be the 2nd worst team in the league in order to be assured of keeping our pick.  That would be a LONG year.  Obviously you wanna be in the playoffs OR luck into the top 10 pick, but giving Boston a pick at 10 would be a pretty good option.  Then you get the rebuild done by 2021.  

If you compare the 2018 and 2019 drafts you probably want Zion over Ayton (top picks although Ayton is pretty underrated now and Zion was probably MASSIVELY overrated before the draft) as dueling top picks. Then I would go for Morant over the Bag Man.  But 3-4-5 maybe you favor the 2018 guys (Luka/Jaren/Trae) over Barrett/Hunter/Garland. 2018's depth was overrated maybe. 2019 depth was underrated (but fairly rated later on, into the draft, and right now). So you just don't know.

I don't see us being in a position to convey. As it stands now, I would say we will have one of the 3 worst records in the League if we start the season tomorrow. We might as well take our licks this season, get a top 3-5 pick and then convey in 2021

3 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I don't see us being in a position to convey. As it stands now, I would say we will have one of the 3 worst records in the League if we start the season tomorrow. We might as well take our licks this season, get a top 3-5 pick and then convey in 2021

This.

Keep it . really though just let the season play out and dont rush to improve and give away picks and make a short sighted move.

5 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Agreed and it is going to be glorious. We will have a young Big 3 plus capspace to surround them with vets. Might be playoff bound in 2021 depending on the progress of the youngsters.

We have already had a lucky lottery this year... but the west is too strong, so we will probably end up in the lottery anyway

2 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Agreed and it is going to be glorious. We will have a young Big 3 plus capspace to surround them with vets. Might be playoff bound in 2021 depending on the progress of the youngsters.

And if we sign the right vets and for the right value.

I hope we give it up this year and suck really bad the next 

2 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

I hope we give it up this year and suck really bad the next 

That’s not going to happen

1 hour ago, CoolHandGriz said:

I want RJ Hampton to complete our future big 3 so let’s convey in ‘21.

He is going to play in Memphis this year I hear.

His NZ team plays the the Grizzlies in preseason, as well as the Thunder.

2 hours ago, Crizzle said:

i think we should play to win, but dont see us conveying. we are going to be bad, like real bad

right ... but watching the baby Beale Street Blue Bears grow into their paws is gonna be a BLAST !

I’m ready to toss it up right now! 

Lets Goooo!

21 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Agree. We got lucky last season. I was ok with chasing playoffs but once it became apparent we weren't good enough the fact that we did some halfway tank/not tank job was ludicrous

We were bailed out from our bad pick situation by lucking into Ja last draft. Let's just play as hard as we can, and if we convey, great, if not, great too. We're going to be better in 2020-21 so it's very unlikely we'll give away a top pick anyway.

5 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

right ... but watching the baby Beale Street Blue Bears grow into their paws is gonna be a BLAST !

I’m ready to toss it up right now! 

Lets Goooo!

exactly. i dont think the fans should be oblivious. unless we have multiple kids breaking out, we are not gonna be good for atleast 2 years. But we will be FUN/EXCITING!!!

3 hours ago, ALBZ said:

How many of y’all wanted to convey this past year though? 

Nobody would have chosen conveying over a top 3-4 draft pick.

The debate was always if conveying versus picks 5-8 were preferable.

There was only would very small bad aspect of not conveying last year, and that's to have 1 more year of discussion about whether to convey or not.