Sign in to follow this  
ACGrizz

The Value of a Cohesive Team

I've only watched the Grizzlies' summer league games, so perhaps this has been an occurrence for other teams as well, but one thing that I've been very pleasantly surprised with is the amount of players present in Las Vegas. Just yesterday, we had Ja, Jaren, JV, Dillon, Tyus and Melton on the sideline rooting for the SL guys (along with a great interview with Tyus). We also have seen Jaren be outgoing with the media and he was even present at the draft ready to greet and encourage Ja right after he got selected.

I know ultimately the results on the court matter most, but I think as a young team in a small market, this type of camaraderie and culture building is important. I can't help but think back to the Dallas Mavs of the early 90s that had their own "J" core in Kidd, Mashburn and Jackson only to see it fall apart due to egos/internal conflict. I'm loving that our guys seem to be buying in to the team, and we even have veterans like Crowder expressing excitement to be here and a desire to lead these guys. It builds identity in an offseason where we've seen the roster be massively redone. Part of what made the Grit'N'Grind Grizzlies so beloved was the fact that you could see the Core Four operate as a cohesive unit that genuinely cared for and understood each other - I'm hoping we can see the same with our new set of guys.

What value do you place on this type of cohesiveness? Could we see this pay dividends down the line in terms of retaining our young (hopeful) stars? And/or recruiting other young guys to come play with us in free agency?

1 hour ago, ACGrizz said:

What value do you place on this type of cohesiveness? Could we see this pay dividends down the line in terms of retaining our young (hopeful) stars? And/or recruiting other young guys to come play with us in free agency?

Good question. I've been around the barn a few times, so I am often a little cynical when seeing stuff like this. In this day and age, you don't know if guys do things like this because they truly care or they are instructed to do so by agents and "handlers". Good press helps with endorsement deals, which means more money for agents.

Before the "Curry" Warriors first went to the finals, they all got together before that season to play together for a couple of weeks and get to know each other. They did this on their own. I don't care to praise the Warriors, but that was a true example of good cohesiveness. The players took it upon themselves to do what was best for them as a team.

Showing up when the camera's rolling vs showing up when nobody is looking. If our guys are doing this behind the scenes then it is a great thing.

Whomever the modern day equivalent to Toni Braxton is, we should probably keep that person away from the team.

Also, the Kardashians.

Sometimes I think it matters a lot.  Some times I think not so much.  It's really hard to say.  Nobody liked Michael Jordan yet they won six championships. I think cohesiveness on the court is not necessarily related to cohesiveness off the court, although I'd prefer to think that it is.

It can't do anything but help.  Now that isn't going to make us winners, but I think it will make us better than if we didn't.

It can't hurt. 

As a Toronto/JV fan, while I can't measure the impact this type of thing had on Toronto's culture, it was part of what the team has been doing. Guys would always show up to support and work out with the youngsters at Summer League. Coaches would usually be there too, even though they can't run official practices.

Vets would also encourage youngsters to join them for other non-official summer runs like going to Drew league in LA. This all depends on having guys who fit that kind of character, though. Toronto had a good group of guys and it was pushed from the top down by Masai, the coaching staff and the team leaders buying in. In Toronto's case, it was a clear positive for the team that helped lead them to last year's success.