Sign in to follow this  
Dwash

2020 NBA Draft

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Dwash said:

If we convey next summer, then are bad enough to pick top 3 in 2021, that means Ja/JJJ did not progress as expected.

Image result for that's right gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 12:28 AM, ACGrizz said:

Yeah, I feel like aiming to convey this year is just acknowledging that we'll be a non-playoff, mediocre team this year and a crappy team next year. So 1 season of competing, but not being good enough and another season of tanking.

If we choose to creatively tank this year (maybe selective rest, giving a lot of minutes to young guys, etc.), at least we lock up another young guy with a top draft pick this year and then we can move into competing mode for the 2020-2021 season. At that point, even if we somehow ended up with a top pick due to the lottery, it wouldn't sting as bad because we still had the 2019-2020 top draft pick and a core of 3 guys (draftee, Ja, JJJ) plus Clarke.

Spot on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 12:28 AM, ACGrizz said:

Yeah, I feel like aiming to convey this year is just acknowledging that we'll be a non-playoff, mediocre team this year and a crappy team next year. So 1 season of competing, but not being good enough and another season of tanking.

If we choose to creatively tank this year (maybe selective rest, giving a lot of minutes to young guys, etc.), at least we lock up another young guy with a top draft pick this year and then we can move into competing mode for the 2020-2021 season. At that point, even if we somehow ended up with a top pick due to the lottery, it wouldn't sting as bad because we still had the 2019-2020 top draft pick and a core of 3 guys (draftee, Ja, JJJ) plus Clarke.

Image result for you got that right gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 10:57 PM, Dwash said:

If we convey next summer, then are bad enough to pick top 3 in 2021, that means Ja/JJJ did not progress as expected.

Not 100% true. Technically they could be battling to make the playoffs and just barely lose out, then be blessed with lottery luck to jump to the top. If I am not mistaken, isn't that how Orlando vaulted up to #1 in Shaq's rookie season (the Penny draft)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 6:11 AM, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

well , wait a minute ... IF they are showing solid all out play - we will win a few .

12 is a rookie rookie

13 is just starting to eat with the cool kids in the lunchroom.

what is our expected projected progress?

 

but..but...17 is a monster and will make Grizz Great Again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

but..but...17 is a monster and will make Grizz Great Again.

 

'm not black, I'm O.J.'

  😏         

…OK."

-Jigga / hov 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Not 100% true. Technically they could be battling to make the playoffs and just barely lose out, then be blessed with lottery luck to jump to the top. If I am not mistaken, isn't that how Orlando vaulted up to #1 in Shaq's rookie season (the Penny draft)?

I mean yeah obviously Im throwing out any pure luck scenarios such as that since we were discussing what the Grizzlies should be planning to do. Go all out for a top pick in 2020 is the only pick plan that makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dwash said:

I mean yeah obviously Im throwing out any pure luck scenarios such as that since we were discussing what the Grizzlies should be planning to do. Go all out for a top pick in 2020 is the only pick plan that makes sense.

Right. And isn’t it crazy that at this time last year the thought of conveying in 2021 was terrifying?

Now it’s the ideal situation thanks in part to lottery luck and the new front office’s maneuvering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

To guarantee top 6 pick Memphis needs to be bottom 2  team...unrealistic...so just try to win every game and hope for the best.

If they finish 3rd worse...4 teams are not going to leapfrog them with none of the top 3 getting a lottery spot. If they finish 4th worse...Its unlikely that 3 teams leap frog them.

This is certainly a bottom 3/4 team on paper...especially in the WC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 8:15 AM, chipc3 said:

Image result for you got that right gif

BF.

 

49 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

To guarantee top 6 pick Memphis needs to be bottom 2  team...unrealistic...so just try to win every game and hope for the best.

Bingo, play to win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

BF.

 

Bingo, play to win.

Agreed. But coaches and players can try to win every game while the franchise is still unofficially tanking.

1) Tell your coach to play all your young players all the minutes they can get.

2) Trade away any veteran contributor that can bring back assets.

3) Play it safe with any injuries that hit your best players.

Walah. Bottom 2-4 team in the league. If not, then our youngsters were probably even better than we thought and we'll add a decent draft piece in 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Not 100% true. Technically they could be battling to make the playoffs and just barely lose out, then be blessed with lottery luck to jump to the top. If I am not mistaken, isn't that how Orlando vaulted up to #1 in Shaq's rookie season (the Penny draft)?

I think that was the dwight Howard draft your thinking of, cant dig it up right now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoolHandGriz said:

Agreed. But coaches and players can try to win every game while the franchise is still unofficially tanking.

1) Tell your coach to play all your young players all the minutes they can get.

2) Trade away any veteran contributor that can bring back assets.

3) Play it safe with any injuries that hit your best players.

Walah. Bottom 2-4 team in the league. If not, then our youngsters were probably even better than we thought and we'll add a decent draft piece in 2021.

Giving your young players all the minutes they can handle is NOT playing to win.  I don't recall GS tanking to get the players they got, they just made good selections. The Grizz missed too many opportunities to get good players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Giving your young players all the minutes they can handle is NOT playing to win.  I don't recall GS tanking to get the players they got, they just made good selections. The Grizz missed too many opportunities to get good players. 

In my scenario that’s a FO decision, not the coach’s. There’s a difference between coaches and players “playing” to win and the FO making executive decisions to win or tank.

For instance the FO can choose to sit Iggy out until he’s traded or play Josh Jackson a lot to see what he has to offer even though they know he’s probably a negative PER or whatever metric they use...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Giving your young players all the minutes they can handle is NOT playing to win.  I don't recall GS tanking to get the players they got, they just made good selections. The Grizz missed too many opportunities to get good players. 

You don't recall the Warriors missing the playoffs for 20 out of 21 years? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah that must've been when I was a Celtic fan but that does go to prove my point, having young talent doesn't always pay off. I don't know if your statement is correct or not as I do recall they had Rick Barry and he was definitely a SS.

I was talking more recent times though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

In my scenario that’s a FO decision, not the coach’s. There’s a difference between coaches and players “playing” to win and the FO making executive decisions to win or tank.

For instance the FO can choose to sit Iggy out until he’s traded or play Josh Jackson a lot to see what he has to offer even though they know he’s probably a negative PER or whatever metric they use...

A lot of you guys still expect a miracle from Josh Jackson...Josh is a bust and probably 95% out of the league after this season...he is in a last chance saloon and needs minutes to stay in the league.

Will he gets his minutes and produse? 5% chance for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

A lot of you guys still expect a miracle from Josh Jackson...Josh is a bust and probably 95% out of the league after this season...he is in a last chance saloon and needs minutes to stay in the league.

Will he gets his minutes and produse? 5% chance for me. 

I'm personally not expecting much out of the guy but if i'm the FO I certainly throw him out there and see what he's capable of. A new system, new coaches and new teammates could, I repeat could pay dividends for him.

Then to my point, if he does indeed struggle, it ultimately helps us get to our imagined goal of picking Top 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Ace-is-high said:

I think that was the dwight Howard draft your thinking of, cant dig it up right now

I looked it up. Shaq's rookie year the Magic went 41-41, tied for 8th, and lost the tie breaker. Then jumped all the way up to the #1 pick, which they traded for #3 and multiple first round picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Giving your young players all the minutes they can handle is NOT playing to win.  I don't recall GS tanking to get the players they got, they just made good selections. The Grizz missed too many opportunities to get good players. 

Golden State did tank the year they got Harrison Barnes. They were going to lose the pick but tanked down the stretch to ensure they kept it. Barnes was not a star for them, but they don't win the first title or make the second finals without him. If they don't do that those first two years, the odds of Durant signing with them goes way down. So yes, Golden State absolutely benefited from tanking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

A lot of you guys still expect a miracle from Josh Jackson...Josh is a bust and probably 95% out of the league after this season...he is in a last chance saloon and needs minutes to stay in the league.

Will he gets his minutes and produse? 5% chance for me. 

I agree with this 100%. But we are going to suck regardless, so why not take a chance? Josh Jackson is clearly talented. If it clicks, he can be a starting level role player. Take the chance. However, first time he acts a fool, cut him. Zero tolerance for the nonsense, but still take the chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting a rookie pg gives us good odds to get another high lottery pick, but the fact that they went out and got a premium backup pg could be a sign that they do not intend to tank. The lack of talent on the wing will still be hard to overcome though for those who would rather see us try to compete.

I'm in the camp of preferring to see them take the year as a development year for the young guys and keep the pick.

I'd rather Melton get the developmental minutes over Jackson though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, KyleB said:

Starting a rookie pg gives us good odds to get another high lottery pick, but the fact that they went out and got a premium backup pg could be a sign that they do not intend to tank. The lack of talent on the wing will still be hard to overcome though for those who would rather see us try to compete.

I'm in the camp of preferring to see them take the year as a development year for the young guys and keep the pick.

I'd rather Melton get the developmental minutes over Jackson though.

Agree with all this but they should have the minutes to try and develop both former Suns. Melton's a combo guard. Jackson's more of a 3 that can play the 2 or 4 if needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this