Dwash

2020 NBA Draft

1 hour ago, KyleB said:

Deni Avdija

Samuell Williamson

Josh Green

Scotty Lewis

Johnny Juzang

All these guys are projected to be available mid to late first round. Lets say either Wiseman or Stewart is the bpa when we pick, Atlanta has the 9th and 23rd picks and needs a big. Would you trade down with Atlanta to pick up an extra first rounder? Take Advija or Williamson at 9 and hope Lewis or Juzang is still there at 23?

I don't think so.  The Grizzlies really need a wing scorer.  To get a good one of those you need to draft high.

5 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

I don't think so.  The Grizzlies really need a wing scorer.  To get a good one of those you need to draft high.

That's the easiest way. It's not the only way. The Pelicans just signed JJ Reddick after all. 

27 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

Donovan Mitchell was taken at 13

Kawhi Leonard was taken at 15

Malcolm Brogdon was taken in the second round

And those are just three that I can think of off the top of my head.

I imagine someone taken in the lottery would constitute being taken high. 

MIchael Redd was a second round pick but that was a while ago. He was a dynamic perimeter scorer however. Norman Powell at Toronto went in the 2nd round, Joe Harris went in the 2nd round too. There are plenty of surprises taken late in the draft but overall it is easier to acquire a great perimeter shooter with a high draft pick than any other way.   

This is why I want the Grizzlies to lose this coming season, keep their top 6 pick and hopefully either draft or trade it to acquire an elite perimeter scorer. 

23 minutes ago, KyleB said:

Donovan Mitchell was taken at 13

Kawhi Leonard was taken at 15

Malcolm Brogdon was taken in the second round

And those are just three that I can think of off the top of my head.

If course it's possible to find a great perimeter scorer later in the draft but its much more likely the fourth up you go.  We really are one player away from a great young core.  We just need to find that one guy.

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I imagine someone taken in the lottery would constitute being taken high. 

The post he replied to where he said in the reply that you need a high pick to get a good wing scorer had us getting the 9th pick back from Atlanta in a trade. Kawhi and Mitchell were both lottery picks but both were picked later than the 9th pick.

7 minutes ago, KyleB said:

The post he replied to where he said in the reply that you need a high pick to get a good wing scorer had us getting the 9th pick back from Atlanta in a trade. Kawhi and Mitchell were both lottery picks but both were picked later than the 9th pick.

The original poster was also talking about trading down in the draft. I'm against trading down in the draft regardless of their being the odd gems among a bunch of rocks there. You mentioned three players, I could mention 2-3 more. That's out of how many total non-lottery picks? 

Having a high draft pick isn't a guarantee either but trading down greatly increases the risk of missing. It's a statistical fact. 

But who projected in the top 6 is a fit for us? To me it looks like Edwards or bust which would mean we would need to get at least the 2nd pick if not the first. I understand you take the bpa but everybody else in the top 6 is a big or a pg, unless you think of Barrett as a 2. Bigs are devalued in today's NBA unless you get a guy like Jaren who is the prototype big for the modern game. If they take another PG in the high lottery they could have a Lowry/Conley situation. Conley never really bloomed until they traded Lowry and he didn't have to look over his shoulder anymore. Neither did Lowry really, I think being on the same team slowed both players' development.

Sure you could trade the pick for a young player but that depends on one being available and will that player's age and trajectory fit the timeline for Ja and JJJ? There are lots of uncertainties either way.

11 minutes ago, KyleB said:

But who projected in the top 6 is a fit for us? To me it looks like Edwards or bust which would mean we would need to get at least the 2nd pick if not the first. 

Who knows what the draft order will look like.

A lot of these guys are going to move up and down.  Projected positions could change.  Extra picks aren't that valuable to us next year.  We have enough young guys.  We just need one more.  The rest we should fill in with veterans.  If we are top six and Edwards looks like our guy, and we don't think he'll fall to us, we have assets now where we could trade up.  

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

RJ Hampton is a 6'4 combo guard. Could be a nice consolation prize.  

RJ is a STUD. If he’s available you take him over Wiseman no matter the position. He’s that good. 

A player to keep an eye on is Patrick Williams. He fits the profile of a wing with size (6'7, 6'8) and shooting potential. He'll be a freshman at Florida State. Depending on how well he does this year, I can see a scenario where he ranks highly on draft boards by the end of the season. Whether it's as high as top 6 remains to be seen.

Here are 3 different questions regarding the 2020 and 2021 Draft.

1. Which draft has a better number one pick?

2. Which draft has a better top 3 or 4?

3. Which draft is better in the 5-10 range?

2021 might be better at 1 AND in the top 3-4 but since getting a pick in that range basically depends on luck then we need to focus on drafting in the 5-10 range -- and maybe 2020 is better for us.

If Cole Anthony and Nico Mannion (or another point guard) moves into the top 3 behind Wiseman, then that would push Anthony Edwards, RJ Hampton, and maybe even LaMelo Ball (complete wild card pick) into that 5-6 range where we would still keep our pick.  And that is probably were the 2020 draft has its most strength -- mid to late lotto.  Then you have Achiuwa which could make 2020 an elite draft from 5-10 or so.  

Now I don't want to tank next year but if it is similar to this season were we move up from 8 into the top 4 then that would be ideal.  I wouldn't be able to stand a sub-30 win season AND a season which wouldn't even guarantee us keeping our pick (we could still drop 4 spots out of the top 6).  

March Madness stars will also move up to give this draft added depth.  

On 7/18/2019 at 5:43 PM, Ursine Mammal said:

A player to keep an eye on is Patrick Williams. He fits the profile of a wing with size (6'7, 6'8) and shooting potential. He'll be a freshman at Florida State. Depending on how well he does this year, I can see a scenario where he ranks highly on draft boards by the end of the season. Whether it's as high as top 6 remains to be seen.

One of my sleepers. Not sure if he will declare though regardless of how well he does as a Frosh.

15 hours ago, MemphisX said:

One of my sleepers. Not sure if he will declare though regardless of how well he does as a Frosh.

Is he a knockdown shooter? Cause a guy who is a knockdown shooter would be a great add. If you can get a take over the game type scorer, get that, but a shooter who can defend 3 or 4 spots would be great too. Between JJJ, Ja, Clarke, maybe Dillon or Josh if one breaks out, we really dont have any knockdown guys. Just some good shooters, but nobody that looks like a guy that the defense will be scared to leave. 

Corey Evans of Rivals.com says he “would be surprised if Memphis does not get Jalen Green.” Green is currently the No. 3 player in the 2020 class, according to the 247Sports composite rankings. He is likely to be ranked even higher if Evan Moberly reclassifies, as expected.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2019/8/6/20756978/kentucky-basketball-recruiting-memphis-tigers-jalen-green-uk-wildcats

We have to convey this year!

27 minutes ago, Thomas said:

The Grizzlies don't have to convey this season. They only convey if the team falls into the bottom 6 after the lottery. 

6 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

The Grizzlies don't have to convey this season. They only convey if the team falls into the bottom 6 after the lottery. 

What I mean is, conveying this year would be better than losing our pick in 2021 especially w/ Jalen Green probably going to Memphis

Just now, Thomas said:

What I mean is, conveying this year would be better than losing our pick in 2021 especially w/ Jalen Green probably going to Memphis

I would prefer to have the team be bad this year, guarantee a top 6 pick, start to win next season and convey a late lottery to mid first round pick instead of hoping for a miracle this season and then a relapse the season after that to hope to land someone in the top of the draft but that is just me. 

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I would prefer to have the team be bad this year, guarantee a top 6 pick, start to win next season and convey a late lottery to mid first round pick instead of hoping for a miracle this season and then a relapse the season after that to hope to land someone in the top of the draft but that is just me. 

+100

8 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I would prefer to have the team *PLAY HARD and MAYBE* be bad this year, guarantee a top 6 pick, start to win next season and convey a late lottery to mid first round pick instead of hoping for a miracle this season and then a relapse the season after that to hope to land someone in the top of the draft but that is just me. 

FTFY

If we convey next summer, then are bad enough to pick top 3 in 2021, that means Ja/JJJ did not progress as expected.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

If we convey next summer, then are bad enough to pick top 3 in 2021, that means Ja/JJJ did not progress as expected.

well , wait a minute ... IF they are showing solid all out play - we will win a few .

12 is a rookie rookie

13 is just starting to eat with the cool kids in the lunchroom.

what is our expected projected progress?

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Yeah, I feel like aiming to convey this year is just acknowledging that we'll be a non-playoff, mediocre team this year and a crappy team next year. So 1 season of competing, but not being good enough and another season of tanking.

If we choose to creatively tank this year (maybe selective rest, giving a lot of minutes to young guys, etc.), at least we lock up another young guy with a top draft pick this year and then we can move into competing mode for the 2020-2021 season. At that point, even if we somehow ended up with a top pick due to the lottery, it wouldn't sting as bad because we still had the 2019-2020 top draft pick and a core of 3 guys (draftee, Ja, JJJ) plus Clarke.