Sign in to follow this  
Dwash

2020 NBA Draft

29 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

This will probably be the most important topic for the next year, lets find the last piece of our own big 3.

So far, looking for fit and potential, at the top of the class I see Wiseman,  Green and Edwards as the players we should target. If the J connection continues we will draft Wiseman or Green.

Wiseman doesn't really Fit and they just locked up JV Wiseman and Jaren are close to the same player. Not saying they shouldn't draft him if he's the BPA but he's not really a fit. If they are trying to complete their young core then the pic needs to be a wing. But being in the position to take Wiseman is cool cause we could possibly make a trade

17 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Wiseman doesn't really Fit and they just locked up JV Wiseman and Jaren are close to the same player. Not saying they shouldn't draft him if he's the BPA but he's not really a fit. If they are trying to complete their young core then the pic needs to be a wing. But being in the position to take Wiseman is cool cause we could possibly make a trade

Drafting Wiseman is not about fit, its about talent. To have 2 players like Jaren is something you cant pass on. I would move JV to the backup C and let this duo devolop, get your wing and sg throw trade and FA

Jaren is basically a 4. Stretch 4. 3 and D 4 whatever you wanna call it.  

Wiseman can call himself a "unicorn" all he wants but he would really have to polish his skills for that.  Not really a "shooter". Although I am basing this only off highlights and exactly one of his games I have been to.  Wiseman projects as a Mitchell Robinson type mostly.  With higher upside comps being guys like The Admiral.  

So if we do a twin towers thing then Jaren would be more of a Tim Duncan type with Wiseman being a young David Robinson type.  

https://sloanreview.mit.edu/audio/what-the-nba-gets-wrong-about-lottery-pick-protections/

Has the lottery's new rules altered how willingly teams are trading first round picks? It's very interesting to see teams giving up so many first round picks so soon after the first lottery under the new rules. 

30 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

https://sloanreview.mit.edu/audio/what-the-nba-gets-wrong-about-lottery-pick-protections/

Has the lottery's new rules altered how willingly teams are trading first round picks? It's very interesting to see teams giving up so many first round picks so soon after the first lottery under the new rules. 

Or could the new lottery rules make a pick that could be anywhere in the lottery more attractive for the recieving team?

But really the super team mentality just make stars a must have for those on the verge.

Take the best player available. If it happens to be an awesome wing player, that would be perfect. Just don't pass over a better player because we desperately need wings. 

2 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Take the best player available. If it happens to be an awesome wing player, that would be perfect. Just don't pass over a better player because we desperately need wings. 

I agree, any position other than a pf or a pg, unless the talent we will get in the position is a cant miss prospect, like Zion was this year.

4 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

I agree, any position other than a pf or a pg, unless the talent we will get in the position is a cant miss prospect, like Zion was this year.

I don't see why we couldn't take a PF with range.  

Anthony Edwards gives us that future star scorer on the wing that we need to find in the next few years to pair with Ja & Jaren. Obviously it would be ideal to find more of a SF scoring star but still it would be incredible if we are able to come away with him. I wanted Wiseman originally but I am starting to wonder about the fit now that we have Clarke.

Wouldn't mind conveying this year either. It's a real possibility now that it's so easy for teams to jump into the top four. That 2021 draft is loaded.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:24 AM, Dwash said:

Nope, its not too early.

I think I need this guy here.

I like it. He's not projected top 6, you think we could trade down and pick up an extra asset or two and still get him? How far back do you think they could drop and still get him?

I feel with the assets we have now we can move up at anytime to get who we want. Or we can trade down to continue to stack picks to maybe trade for a star player.

If we move Iggy for a late 2020 first rounder and Dwight Howard for a late 2021 first rounder then how would that effect our draft?

Would a late 2020 first and our top 6 pick be worth MORE than a late 2021 first a middling 1st rounder in the 8-12 range?

I am thinking that even if we KEEP the pick that unless it is top 2 or 3 then we should trade DOWN.  

Out of the next two drafts our goal should be to get one "core four" type, a rotation guy, a draft/stash player, and flip other assets for future picks/players/cash.  

After we get our "core" (and I only think we need maybe one more guy to add to Ja-Jaren-Clarke-Bruno/Jonas) then we should stock pile 2nd round picks and cash.

I also think we need to have "tall shooters" at the top of our draft boards. Preferably at the 2 but also at the 3.  And, stretch center types.  Other than that, go after toolsy guys who can play on both sides of the ball and make some plays AND maybe get some freak athletic rim running dunk artist/shot blocker (James Wiseman?).

Next year's draft is supposedly "deep" but with no superstar at the top, and then mostly having point guards, combo guards, and power forwards.  But, who knows...

A "Moneyball" pick might be guys who played at least 2 years in college, maybe in mid-major conferences or players from second-tier Power 5 (plus Big East) schools.

At that point, without any mega/super star at the top of the 2020 draft then maybe most guys are either Tier 2 or Tier 3.  Then, based on what you need and already having your premier lead guard and two deluxe combo bigs specializing in defense (Jaren/Clarke) maybe your big board looks different than other big boards.  That big board might favor RJ Hampton over some other guys.  Maybe you trade down -- multiple times.

Thanks!

I feel like the next need is someone at the 2 that can be the go to scorer, with two way potential.. Thats not easy to find but its the biggest need for us now. Someone like a college booker, someone who showed flashes of scoring but never had the ball enough to fully show his ability. Kind of like keldon Johnson as well.

38 minutes ago, On My Grizzlie said:

I feel like the next need is someone at the 2 that can be the go to scorer, with two way potential.. Thats not easy to find but its the biggest need for us now. Someone like a college booker, someone who showed flashes of scoring but never had the ball enough to fully show his ability. Kind of like keldon Johnson as well.

Yeah the next draft is guard heavy at the top, hoping we have a season like the mayo rookie season where they looked great towards end of the season but still lost enough to get the 2nd overall pick 

Deni Avdija is a name i have started to see on the radar, I would like it if we could keep an eye on him.. not sure if he will come to the 20 or 21 draft but looks smooth with a nice shot

6 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Markus Howard can shoot and score but he's tiny.  

I feel like if we were gonna go tiny scorer we should have gotten Carson Edwards

If we keep our 2020 pick it's pretty much James Wiseman or a Wing.  Wiseman, as the BPA and also the local guy.  

Jarron Cumberland may be in our price range if he shoots up the board and we keep our pick or if we use assets to buy a late first rounder.  

Two guys playing in the NBL, RJ Hampton and LaMelo Ball might be worth keeping an eye on.  

2021 might be better for wings though with perhaps more star power at the top of the draft.  

1 minute ago, On My Grizzlie said:

I feel like if we were gonna go tiny scorer we should have gotten Carson Edwards

There were so many players I liked who were still on the board at 21, it wasn't even funny.  

Although Edwards has no playmaking skills.  So if he is cold he is gonna shoot you out of the game.  

If we end up with a late first in a trade or something like that I would go with Markus Howard all day.  A small ball backcourt of Ja/Markus would be killer on offense (and you hope Jaren and Clarke/Bruno shut it down on defense).  

Markus Howard probably wins next year's Las Vegas Summer League MVP award.  lol

JV isn't good enough to pass on Wiseman if he's bpa .JV can stick around and play his 26ish MPG against the big boys .I think teams ask way to much from 19 and 20 years olds anyways unless they come in ready like lebron and a few others or have played as a pro overseas .

load management needs to start early in careers for most of the super young guys while their body develops imo.

42 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

JV isn't good enough to pass on Wiseman if he's bpa .JV can stick around and play his 26ish MPG against the big boys .I think teams ask way to much from 19 and 20 years olds anyways unless they come in ready like lebron and a few others or have played as a pro overseas .

load management needs to start early in careers for most of the super young guys while their body develops imo.

In that case Wiseman when Jaren would get the bulk of the big men minutes then Clarke, Jonas, and Bruno getting minutes with Clarke and Bruno also getting minutes at small forward.  

Yeah, long-term you just go with a biggie sized front line of Clarke and Jaren at forward with Wiseman at center.  

You would also think that Wiseman would be a great lob thread and roll man with Ja Morant.  

Other than that the best strategy would probably be to trade down and go with the Best Wing Player Available (ideally a 2 guard).  

Jaren/Wiseman would have too much "Duncan/Admiral" twin towers upside potential to pass on.  

Deni Avdija

Samuell Williamson

Josh Green

Scotty Lewis

Johnny Juzang

All these guys are projected to be available mid to late first round. Lets say either Wiseman or Stewart is the bpa when we pick, Atlanta has the 9th and 23rd picks and needs a big. Would you trade down with Atlanta to pick up an extra first rounder? Take Advija or Williamson at 9 and hope Lewis or Juzang is still there at 23?