WVgrizz

Tyus Jones, Grizzlies agree to $28 million offer sheet

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

On who? We would still have considerable cap space even with Wiggins on board. We will have a crapload of cap space next year. If we trade for Wiggins, we would still have significant cap space. i'm not saying bring him in to be your #1 guy. I don't care about him being a former #1 pick. I don't care about what went down in Minny.  I'm just saying it gives us a scorer. There are two things in our favor as long as Wiggins performs- 1. His contract will get shorter after each season making him more tradeable and 2. Salaries are rising. Once all of these new salaries come in, he won't even be in the top 25 in salaries in the NBA and going forward, teams will have to spend upper $20 millions to get a guy who can give you high teens/low 20s in scoring. He can get us 20 ppg next year. I'm not worried about his defense. We're not trying to win a championship next year. I'm not worried about him being labeled soft. He's not the face of the franchise and he's not the team leader. He would be a role player and his role would be to score. With Ja and Tyus setting him up to score and with JJJ and JV's passing abilities. i think he would give us 20 ppg in spite of his other deficiencies. We would give it a 1-2 year trial to see how it works and then move on.He would be tradeable on a 2 year contract, easily. 

I'm not taking any shots at Memphis, but exactly who would we sign with all of that cap space? Our best bet is to go after someone who needs a fresh start via a trade. A Z-Bo type move and Josh Jackson ain't it. I live Dallas. Dallas is the 5th largest metro area in the U.S., it's booming, new jobs everywhere, new construction everywhere, companies moving in all of the time, people are moving here at ridiculous rates, it has all 4 major league sports (NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL). You would think it would be an attractive market. The Mavs have a charismatic, personable team owner, they have the reigning rookie of the year and a guy labeled the unicorn. Two players everyone would want to play with right? They have won a championship in the last 10 years. You would think it would be a desirable franchise right? Guess what, Dallas struck out on every free agent they went after. They couldn't even get a meeting with Patrick Beverley. if Dallas is struggling to sign FA with all it has going for it. What in the world would make anyone think Memphis could go out and get big name free agents?  It's obvious to me that in the short term, more superstars are calling their shots and they want to live on the coasts. We would only be able to sign Chandler Parson type free agents who we clearly vastly overpay. I'd rather make a trade and give it 1-2 years while Ja and Jaren develop. 

I'm just looking at it as we need a scorer and not sure how many are available for us to get and then, I don't really see anyone to after in 2020 FA. It's a gap contract to get us from where we are to where we need to be. We are going to have to take some bad contracts to fill some of this space. I would much rather have someone who can be productive as opposed to more contracts like Miles Plumlee and Solomon Hill. 

The ideal scenario is to develop a 1-2-3 punch with a top 6 pick next year. But there is also development.  It doesnt always take a premium pick to develop a good second/third option. Milwaukee developed Middleton for example. Nets got Lavert, Dinwiddie, Harris. Denver got Harris, Barton and so on. Then after you get some more picks/young players for absorbing assets, you look to make signings like Bodganovic or Brogdon. Or fill out the roster like the Kings did. That would be my plan.

Dont see why we need to reduce our capspace to pick up contracts with picks attached and lessen our cap space for free agents in 2/3 years just to take a shot at an inefficient scorer like Wiggins.  But I know for a few of you no amount of advanced stats, hometown fan testimony and analytical articles can convince you about how bad if an idea Wiggins is so whatever think its a good idea if you want. I can just be grateful that Im about 99% sure my FO isnt interested (looks like no other FO is as well even though they were handing out capspace money like Halloween candy this offseason).

47 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

We have Wiggins lite with Jackson, whose contract we have complete control over. No need to take on Wiggins. Let's hope Tyus turns out to be solid. 

This.

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

We have Wiggins lite with Jackson, whose contract we have complete control over. No need to take on Wiggins. Let's hope Tyus turns out to be solid. 

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

That's how i view it too.  Atleast Jackson doesn't have a motor problem.   Physical tools Wiggins is superior and better shooter but Jackson has the edge on him with passing, dribbling, defense and motor.    He will be the more complete player.    All he lacks really is maturity which can be corrected.  Motor and heart rarely ever improve. 

Besides we can't combine any of our new guys in trades until Sept.   

55 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

This.

I don't want Jackson anywhere bear this team. He's a headache in the making. So it's Wiggins VERY lute with a high headache. He should have been at Summer League. I don't want that idiot to ever wear a Grizz uni.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

The ideal scenario is to develop a 1-2-3 punch with a top 6 pick next year. But there is also development.  It doesnt always take a premium pick to develop a good second/third option. Milwaukee developed Middleton for example. Nets got Lavert, Dinwiddie, Harris. Denver got Harris, Barton and so on. Then after you get some more picks/young players for absorbing assets, you look to make signings like Bodganovic or Brogdon. Or fill out the roster like the Kings did. That would be my plan.

Dont see why we need to reduce our capspace to pick up contracts with picks attached and lessen our cap space for free agents in 2/3 years just to take a shot at an inefficient scorer like Wiggins.  But I know for a few of you no amount of advanced stats, hometown fan testimony and analytical articles can convince you about how bad if an idea Wiggins is so whatever think its a good idea if you want. I can just be grateful that Im about 99% sure my FO isnt interested (looks like no other FO is as well even though they were handing out capspace money like Halloween candy this offseason).

So what are we going to do with all of the cap space? 

1 minute ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I don't want Jackson anywhere bear this team. He's a headache in the making. So it's Wiggins VERY lute with a high headache. He should have been at Summer League. I don't want that idiot to ever wear a Grizz uni.

Do you know why he isn't at Summer League?   Been pretty ZeroDarkThirty on info for him. 

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Do you know why he isn't at Summer League?   Been pretty ZeroDarkThirty on info for him. 

Have no clue and really don't care. That was the perfect opportunity for him to rehab his image. Instead, he's nowhere around, no comments no nothing. Exactly how he did the Suns. I'm thinking there is a higher probability that this will be a move that we regret than the probability of him working out. I hope they trade him somehow.

3 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

So what are we going to do with all of the cap space? 

Huh? I just said it. Be available to pick up short unwanted deals with picks attached for one or two years. Sign players (they dont have to be superstars, just guys that fits) when it time to win around 2021/2022 (hopefully). What else is there to do with it?

1 minute ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Have no clue and really don't care. That was the perfect opportunity for him to rehab his image. Instead, he's nowhere around, no comments no nothing. Exactly how he did the Suns. I'm thinking there is a higher probability that this will be a move that we regret than the probability of him working out. I hope they trade him somehow.

I can go with that. Jackson is probably bad news.

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Maybe being seen in Las Vegas isn't the best PR for him right now. I'd like to see him here in Memphis visiting St Jude and walking down Main Street after picking out an apartment at the Metro67. 

2 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Dude you’re lobbying to bring in Andrew friggin Wiggins. Just stop already.

Locking up Tyus (Or Delon) is just a smart move, period.   Having a guaranteed capable backup PG for multiple seasons is what this org has lacked for a decade.   The "peace of mind" in knowing we have a proven steady PG on roster instead of hoping one develops; allows the Coaching staff to focus on other areas of development. 

Similar to having Jonas proven skillset locked up for 3yrs means we aren't hunting for interior scoring and rebounding.  

Guys like them with proven skills are always worthy of MLE IMHO.    I would like our next MLE candidate to be a 2way wing. 

4. I have concerns about the plan of trying to play Jones and Ja at the same time (for certain stretches at least) as had been rumored. Neither are particular big or strong, and neither project to be realistic threats from deep. 

5. At the end of the day, he's an average to above average backup point guard. If he can get better from 3, he starts becoming way more effective. 

-------------------------------

Bad move by FO,  Tyus 31% 3PT  shooting is not going to improve a lot in late clock situations, should have keep Delon for same money and JV chemistry.  No credible outside treat if teams cover paint  & JJ outside (3 on 5).   Same problem as past years.

Hope Ja has time to develop and stay healthy with knees and not to many minutes.  Where are outside 3PT shots coming from?   Winning is not the focus this year but you want to have a chance when you line up against most teams.

Still looks like team roster is being setup for potential move/sale in 3 or 4 years.

10 minutes ago, jerod1986 said:

Still looks like team roster is being setup for potential move/sale in 3 or 4 years.

Do tell on how you’ve uncovered this plot. I can hardly wait for your response..

8 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

That's how i view it too.  Atleast Jackson doesn't have a motor problem.   Physical tools Wiggins is superior and better shooter but Jackson has the edge on him with passing, dribbling, defense and motor.    He will be the more complete player.    All he lacks really is maturity which can be corrected.  Motor and heart rarely ever improve

Besides we can't combine any of our new guys in trades until Sept.   

This. Wiggins is Thabeet in Jeff Green's body.

1 hour ago, jerod1986 said:

4. I have concerns about the plan of trying to play Jones and Ja at the same time (for certain stretches at least) as had been rumored. Neither are particular big or strong, and neither project to be realistic threats from deep. 

5. At the end of the day, he's an average to above average backup point guard. If he can get better from 3, he starts becoming way more effective. 

-------------------------------

Bad move by FO,  Tyus 31% 3PT  shooting is not going to improve a lot in late clock situations, should have keep Delon for same money and JV chemistry.  No credible outside treat if teams cover paint  & JJ outside (3 on 5).   Same problem as past years.

Hope Ja has time to develop and stay healthy with knees and not to many minutes.  Where are outside 3PT shots coming from?   Winning is not the focus this year but you want to have a chance when you line up against most teams.

You're the worst kind of fan imaginable. Clueless and vocal on baseless opinions.

1 hour ago, jerod1986 said:

Uhh, Tyus and Wright have nearly identical three-point shooting percentages (Tyus - 33.3%, Wright - 33.2%) and Tyus actually shot it better last year (31.7%) than Wright did with the Grizzlies (25.6%). Tyus is also a full 4 years younger.

Argue about Tyus vs. Delon all you want, but focusing on three point shooting as a reason we should've kept Delon over getting Tyus isn't backed up by facts.

Kind of weird that most of the Minny fans that regularly watched Tyus play liked him and wanted to keep him, yet a bunch of Grizz fans that haven't or barely watched him don't like the move. Delon might be the better overall player, but he's had four more years than Tyus to get better (27 vs 23), and he's probably going to be starting for Dallas. He wouldn't have been happy here coming off the bench behind a rookie, and we don't need unhappy players around our young nucleus.

Tyus has been in the league for 4 seasons, but he's only four months older than Brandon Clarke. Do people think Clarke won't get better? Tyus fits our age range, and given his passing ability will have chemistry with anyone. Every teammate will love having him on the court because they'll know if they get open there's a good chance he'll get them the ball. 

The money isn't a big deal. Players get paid more now. 9 mil now is like 4.5 mil years back. Regardless of the number, it's still just the MLE. The same thing we used to sign Brian Cardinal (granted that was Jerry West throwing it in the face of management).

Tyus is 23, an elite passer, fits our age range, has no history of on or off court issues, fans like him, and he wants to be here. That's worth the MLE. He's not the best shooter, but that's not his job. He's not a shooting guard. He's a backup PG that needs to hold down the fort while Morant is out of the game, and get the ball in the hands of the player in the best position to score while minimizing turnovers, and he's statistically one of the best at that. I think he'll be what we wanted Nick Calathes to be.

I get the feeling tyus May be used as a hedge for ja early in games if the moments/matchups become to much for the rookie. Primarily though i would suspect he’s primarily a second unit floor general. Let thus feed the others and fill in a few non-three buckets throughout. 

I’m hopefully optimistic he continues to grow his game out to the 3, but he sounds young and hungry to prove himself. 

Having a guy that basically doesn't turn the ball over behind / next to JA at times makes a lot of sense imo. One of JAs biggest faults and now we have a steady young pg.

4 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I haven't watched 10 mins of Tyus in his entire career and i was a Delon fan.    Yet i am totally good with this move.   

Yeah but to be honest I dont remember any Grizz pickup that you didnt like at first.

Chances are we will hear a lot of complaining about this Wright/Tyus move this year. Wright will likely start and be on the better team (who knows) I could see his numbers be much better. In the long run I think we made the right move with the player and picks.

2 hours ago, jerod1986 said:

2022-2023: The best NBA season. The LAST NBA season.

spitballing here: XBA -- a 4 point line but no 3 point line (in 2024 only the XHL will have a 3 point line), with 3 sixteen minute periods with ample nap time between periods for optimal load management.  2 minute overtimes.  Power-forward only 3rd round with territorial draft rights.  

2 hours ago, sativa417 said:

Kind of weird that most of the Minny fans that regularly watched Tyus play liked him and wanted to keep him, yet a bunch of Grizz fans that haven't or barely watched him don't like the move. Delon might be the better overall player, but he's had four more years than Tyus to get better (27 vs 23), and he's probably going to be starting for Dallas. He wouldn't have been happy here coming off the bench behind a rookie, and we don't need unhappy players around our young nucleus.

Tyus has been in the league for 4 seasons, but he's only four months older than Brandon Clarke. Do people think Clarke won't get better? Tyus fits our age range, and given his passing ability will have chemistry with anyone. Every teammate will love having him on the court because they'll know if they get open there's a good chance he'll get them the ball. 

The money isn't a big deal. Players get paid more now. 9 mil now is like 4.5 mil years back. Regardless of the number, it's still just the MLE. The same thing we used to sign Brian Cardinal (granted that was Jerry West throwing it in the face of management).

Tyus is 23, an elite passer, fits our age range, has no history of on or off court issues, fans like him, and he wants to be here. That's worth the MLE. He's not the best shooter, but that's not his job. He's not a shooting guard. He's a backup PG that needs to hold down the fort while Morant is out of the game, and get the ball in the hands of the player in the best position to score while minimizing turnovers, and he's statistically one of the best at that. I think he'll be what we wanted Nick Calathes to be.

This.