WVgrizz

Tyus Jones, Grizzlies agree to $28 million offer sheet

The Minnesota Timberwolves are declining to match the Memphis Grizzlies’ three-year, $28M offer sheet for restricted free agent guard Tyus Jones, league sources tell ESPN.

I was up in arms about the deal earlier, and while I'm still not exactly happy, I think he will be okay.

1. He's young and still developing so that's good

2. He's similar to Delon or Ricky Rubio in athleticism and playstyle, but those two have way better size than him. 

3. The deal still isn't great by any means, but restricted free agency always means you have to overpay at least a little bit. 

4. I have concerns about the plan of trying to play Jones and Ja at the same time (for certain stretches at least) as had been rumored. Neither are particular big or strong, and neither project to be realistic threats from deep. 

5. At the end of the day, he's an average to above average backup point guard. If he can get better from 3, he starts becoming way more effective. 

6. Most importantly, he said he wants to be here and there's nothing I want more than people that want to play for us. 

Good  read (I don't think it's been posted or maybe I missed it)

Rebuilding with a purpose: Why did the Grizzlies pursue Tyus Jones and trade Delon Wright?

Also, if you look around the internets, especially the internets affiliated with Minnysoetah, you'll see that the majority of fans didn't want him to go. I think someone posted one story but there's a couple of more out there, not to mention comments on Twitter and comments in the Star Tribune. The fans really liked and appreciated him up there. They say he does a lot of things that don't show up in the stat sheet, but then again, he's from Minneapolis so it may be hometown love..I think we'll be fine. 

5 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Good  read (I don't think it's been posted or maybe I missed it)

Rebuilding with a purpose: Why did the Grizzlies pursue Tyus Jones and trade Delon Wright?

Also, if you look around the internets, especially the internets affiliated with Minnysoetah, you'll see that the majority of fans didn't want him to go. I think someone posted one story but there's a couple of more out there, not to mention comments on Twitter and comments in the Star Tribune. The fans really liked and appreciated him up there. They say he does a lot of things that don't show up in the stat sheet, but then again, he's from Minneapolis so it may be hometown love..I think we'll be fine. 

Any chance of a copy/paste? Isn't The Athletic subscription based? Also --- GO GRIZZ. Another great move by the F.O.

Im behind the signing now. He's going to be a decent backup 

18 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Tyus another High IQ player for this FO

I like it!

If they're pursuing max cap space, I wonder if they would take our junk for Wiggins and we could give him a 1-2 year trial period. He would be tradeable after that. We could send Hill, Jackson and Howard (works in the trade Machine) That way, we wouldn't have to put up with the headache of Josh Jackson. Minny gets a lot of 1 year deals to help them clear space. We get a contract on our books to help us eat cap space for next year, because we will have a ton of cap space next year and I'm not sure if there are desirable players out there to spend that cap space on. 

29 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

If they're pursuing max cap space, I wonder if they would take our junk for Wiggins and we could give him a 1-2 year trial period. He would be tradeable after that. We could send Hill, Jackson and Howard (works in the trade Machine) That way, we wouldn't have to put up with the headache of Josh Jackson. Minny gets a lot of 1 year deals to help them clear space. We get a contract on our books to help us eat cap space for next year, because we will have a ton of cap space next year and I'm not sure if there are desirable players out there to spend that cap space on. 

Would rather...much rather...use our space to absorb one year contracts next year.  And be ready for some free agency runs in 2021/2022.

17 minutes ago, BTiger3733 said:

Looks like with the Tyus signing we'll have about $50 mil in cap space next offseason. $59 mil if we decline Josh Jackson's option

And no one to spend it on. We could give like 3-4 $12-$15 mil deals but is it worth it? The FA class isn't as strong next yeara nd we have zero shot with any of the bigger named ones.  

25 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

And no one to spend it on. We could give like 3-4 $12-$15 mil deals but is it worth it? The FA class isn't as strong next yeara nd we have zero shot with any of the bigger named ones.  

Yea they should just look to fill in the roster with good talent and continue building an identity with the young core

Just now, Dwash said:

Would rather...much rather...use our space to absorb one year contracts nexr year.  And be ready for some free agency runs in 2021/2022.

On who? We would still have considerable cap space even with Wiggins on board. We will have a crapload of cap space next year. If we trade for Wiggins, we would still have significant cap space. i'm not saying bring him in to be your #1 guy. I don't care about him being a former #1 pick. I don't care about what went down in Minny.  I'm just saying it gives us a scorer. There are two things in our favor as long as Wiggins performs- 1. His contract will get shorter after each season making him more tradeable and 2. Salaries are rising. Once all of these new salaries come in, he won't even be in the top 25 in salaries in the NBA and going forward, teams will have to spend upper $20 millions to get a guy who can give you high teens/low 20s in scoring. He can get us 20 ppg next year. I'm not worried about his defense. We're not trying to win a championship next year. I'm not worried about him being labeled soft. He's not the face of the franchise and he's not the team leader. He would be a role player and his role would be to score. With Ja and Tyus setting him up to score and with JJJ and JV's passing abilities. i think he would give us 20 ppg in spite of his other deficiencies. We would give it a 1-2 year trial to see how it works and then move on.He would be tradeable on a 2 year contract, easily. 

I'm not taking any shots at Memphis, but exactly who would we sign with all of that cap space? Our best bet is to go after someone who needs a fresh start via a trade. A Z-Bo type move and Josh Jackson ain't it. I live Dallas. Dallas is the 5th largest metro area in the U.S., it's booming, new jobs everywhere, new construction everywhere, companies moving in all of the time, people are moving here at ridiculous rates, it has all 4 major league sports (NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL). You would think it would be an attractive market. The Mavs have a charismatic, personable team owner, they have the reigning rookie of the year and a guy labeled the unicorn. Two players everyone would want to play with right? They have won a championship in the last 10 years. You would think it would be a desirable franchise right? Guess what, Dallas struck out on every free agent they went after. They couldn't even get a meeting with Patrick Beverley. if Dallas is struggling to sign FA with all it has going for it. What in the world would make anyone think Memphis could go out and get big name free agents?  It's obvious to me that in the short term, more superstars are calling their shots and they want to live on the coasts. We would only be able to sign Chandler Parson type free agents who we clearly vastly overpay. I'd rather make a trade and give it 1-2 years while Ja and Jaren develop. 

I'm just looking at it as we need a scorer and not sure how many are available for us to get and then, I don't really see anyone to after in 2020 FA. It's a gap contract to get us from where we are to where we need to be. We are going to have to take some bad contracts to fill some of this space. I would much rather have someone who can be productive as opposed to more contracts like Miles Plumlee and Solomon Hill. 

29 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Would rather...much rather...use our space to absorb one year contracts next year.  And be ready for some free agency runs in 2021/2022.

Yup . A repeat of this off season and maybe get guys that that can help a bit more .

Don't know anything about Jones the only thing I know is that they love him there for some reason.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

++++1

If Minny wants to give us two first round picks for Wiggins and solve our roster crunch at the same time, then I'd consider it, but otherwise just prefer to keep space clear for one year deals in 19/20 and max room in 20/21.

We have Wiggins lite with Jackson, whose contract we have complete control over. No need to take on Wiggins. Let's hope Tyus turns out to be solid. 

Just now, Rdk4121 said:

We have Wiggins lite with Jackson, whose contract we have complete control over. No need to take on Wiggins. Let's hope Tyus turns out to be solid. 

That's how i view it too.  Atleast Jackson doesn't have a motor problem.   Physical tools Wiggins is superior and better shooter but Jackson has the edge on him with passing, dribbling, defense and motor.    He will be the more complete player.    All he lacks really is maturity which can be corrected.  Motor and heart rarely ever improve. 

Besides we can't combine any of our new guys in trades until Sept.