WVgrizz

Tyus Jones, Grizzlies agree to $28 million offer sheet

3 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

But they did:

- Base salary (2019-20): $8,408,000

- Likely bonus (included in the cap): $850,000

- Total cap hit (2019-20): $9,258,000

I guess it's how you define the "full MLE" - he certainly got the most they could pay him for 2019-2020, but they could've offered him 4/$40m if they wanted to maximize the value of the MLE.

1 minute ago, ACGrizz said:

I guess it's how you define the "full MLE" - he certainly got the most they could pay him for 2019-2020, but they could've offered him 4/$40m if they wanted to maximize the value of the MLE.

Yeah, but "offering/spending the full MLE" has a clear meaning in the sense of using the full value of the exception within one season. How the contract is constructed beyond that is a different matter.

If you mean we didn't give him the most money we could have offered that's correct.

1 minute ago, fanboyslim said:

Yeah, but "offering/spending the full MLE" has a clear meaning in the sense of using the full value of the exception within one season. How the contract is constructed beyond that is a different matter.

If you mean we didn't give him the most money we could have offered that's correct.

Fair enough.

6 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Image result for exactly gif

17 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

You misunderstood, I don't mind the deal at all. I LOVE the signing. All I was saying was that the front office has to have seen a lot in him to give him that much, which makes me MORE excited by the fact that they put a substantial investment in him.

I guess I got you wrong then.  I thought you were complaining about the deal.

On 7/19/2019 at 2:56 AM, Kevin B Moses said:

I was going by the multiple reports that said it was 28 million. I don't even regard Peter Edminston or chris herrington. They know less than we do, but if it is 26.5 then fine I was mistaken.

Why are you disparaging Edminston + Herrington? They’re solid reporters/journalists or whatever they refer to themselves as. Much more intelligent than what you consider them to be-at least my experience reading/listening to them.

On 7/20/2019 at 8:03 PM, El Guapo said:

Why are you disparaging Edminston + Herrington? They’re solid reporters/journalists or whatever they refer to themselves as. Much more intelligent than what you consider them to be-at least my experience reading/listening to them.

You need to understand that the only way some posters can feel good about themselves is to tear down others. If someone respectfully disagrees with their opinion then they aren't worth reading or listening to or they have some deep seated problem with the poster. Anything to avoid facing the reality that their opinions aren't shared or even realistic. 

11 hours ago, chipc3 said:

You need to understand that the only way some posters can feel good about themselves is to tear down others. If someone respectfully disagrees with their opinion then they aren't worth reading or listening to or they have some deep seated problem with the poster. Anything to avoid facing the reality that their opinions aren't shared or even realistic. 

You mean like Jones and Val will be the 2 best players on the team?

9 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

You mean like Jones and Val will be the 2 best players on the team?

Something like that

Anyone listen to the LockedOn podcast? They keep mentioning how Delon is clearly better than Tyus... What are ya'lls thoughts on this?

I cannot find a single statistical category that clearly places Delon as the better player. He's also 4 years older. The host keeps mentioning Delon as the better shooter...which I also cannot find any evidence for.

Alternatively, Tyus's age, IQ, and steady PG play (he's also extremely clutch**) should be way more valuable to the team, especially with a young starting PG who will be prone to turning the ball over quite a bit to start out. Overall, this signing fits into the overall amazing summer that this FO has had (actually using foresight!!!!), and will be praised down the line.

Tyus will be a fan favorite, guaranteed. Just look at what fans in Minnesota say about him--he won those fans over with very limited opportunities.

**I'm a biased Duke fan. Tyus is my favorite college player to ever play (I try to go to every Duke home game); I truly think he would have been considered one of the best college players of all time if he had stayed a couple more years. And, yes, I'm also excited about Grayson and hope he can find his shot and become a future Grizz staple. A longterm back-up backcourt of Tyus/Grayson would be truly awesome to see as a Duke/Grizz fan. 

It's got to be at least close to a wash between Delon and Tyus, and I prefer the younger player for where our team is right now. We also got 2 2nd round picks when we traded Delon so even if Delon was the better player it would still have been a good move for us to trade him (IMO). 

Tweet those podcast fools if they are talking trash about us 😅

Really good article about Ja and Jaren but also relates to Grizz pickup of Tyus from the Ringer.   https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/8/15/20806125/rookie-curve-ja-morant-jaren-jackson-jr-grizzlies

The benefit of having a pass-first player like Morant is that he will make sure Jackson gets the ball in the spots where he is most comfortable. One of the biggest problems many skilled big men have early in their NBA careers is that their point guards are more concerned with hunting for their own shot than running the offense. Jackson isn’t Nikola Jokic. He has shown the ability to start the fast break himself after getting a defensive rebound, but he’s not a point center who can have the entire offense run through him. He’s at the mercy of his guards. There is nothing he can do if they take bad shots before he even touches the ball....

Memphis doesn’t want Jackson’s early seasons to play out the way Karl-Anthony Towns’s have. Towns has spent his NBA career surrounded by shot-happy guards like Jimmy Butler, Andrew Wiggins, Zach LaVine, Jeff Teague, and Derrick Rose. One of the most effective ways for a big man to post up is to pass the ball out and then repost to establish deeper position in the lane. The problem for Towns is there have never been any guarantees that he will get the ball back if he gives it up. Last year, Tyus Jones was the only Wolves guard who even knew how to throw an entry pass into the post. Towns had a higher usage rate when Jones was on the floor (30.7) than when he was off (26.7). The exact opposite happened when he was playing with either Teague or Rose. It might not be a coincidence that the Grizzlies signed Jones to a three-year, $26.4 million contract this offseason....

It's pretty easy to see the logic in Grizz FO decision when taking into account last season too.    Conley and Gasol barely passed the ball to Jaren.   There were too many offensive possessions where he never got to touch the ball.   Kyle was really the primary handler that would get Jaren the ball in a position to score.   Mike was usually hunting his own shots.  It appears to me the FO doesn't want a scoring PG they wanted PG's that were "pass-first".   I expect when Ja is in score-first mode it will be when he plays at the 2 alongside Tyus or even Kyle.    Jaren, Jonas, and Brandon should have pretty good scoring averages this upcoming season because they are all excellent finishers. 

I would LOVE to see Tyus Jones turns out to be a SUPER STAR  I PRAY IT HAPPENS 

About 45 days and counting until training CAMPA

Is Morant 100% healthy yet?

3 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Really good article about Ja and Jaren but also relates to Grizz pickup of Tyus from the Ringer.   https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/8/15/20806125/rookie-curve-ja-morant-jaren-jackson-jr-grizzlies

The benefit of having a pass-first player like Morant is that he will make sure Jackson gets the ball in the spots where he is most comfortable. One of the biggest problems many skilled big men have early in their NBA careers is that their point guards are more concerned with hunting for their own shot than running the offense. Jackson isn’t Nikola Jokic. He has shown the ability to start the fast break himself after getting a defensive rebound, but he’s not a point center who can have the entire offense run through him. He’s at the mercy of his guards. There is nothing he can do if they take bad shots before he even touches the ball....

Memphis doesn’t want Jackson’s early seasons to play out the way Karl-Anthony Towns’s have. Towns has spent his NBA career surrounded by shot-happy guards like Jimmy Butler, Andrew Wiggins, Zach LaVine, Jeff Teague, and Derrick Rose. One of the most effective ways for a big man to post up is to pass the ball out and then repost to establish deeper position in the lane. The problem for Towns is there have never been any guarantees that he will get the ball back if he gives it up. Last year, Tyus Jones was the only Wolves guard who even knew how to throw an entry pass into the post. Towns had a higher usage rate when Jones was on the floor (30.7) than when he was off (26.7). The exact opposite happened when he was playing with either Teague or Rose. It might not be a coincidence that the Grizzlies signed Jones to a three-year, $26.4 million contract this offseason....

It's pretty easy to see the logic in Grizz FO decision when taking into account last season too.    Conley and Gasol barely passed the ball to Jaren.   There were too many offensive possessions where he never got to touch the ball.   Kyle was really the primary handler that would get Jaren the ball in a position to score.   Mike was usually hunting his own shots.  It appears to me the FO doesn't want a scoring PG they wanted PG's that were "pass-first".   I expect when Ja is in score-first mode it will be when he plays at the 2 alongside Tyus or even Kyle.    Jaren, Jonas, and Brandon should have pretty good scoring averages this upcoming season because they are all excellent finishers. 

Yes, we want pass first PG...and let JV work.

8 hours ago, Allen said:

Is Morant 100% healthy yet?

Same question...

I cannot find ANY new news / video clips about him at all.

On 8/16/2019 at 8:27 PM, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Same question...

They said it would be 3-4 weeks 7 weeks ago so you would assume he’s ok by now but as you said there has been no update. Hope everything is ok with it

On 8/16/2019 at 9:27 PM, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Same question...

Not gonna lie... the fact that he missed the rookie photo shoot has me spooked...

29 minutes ago, grizz09 said:

didn't morant just have a baby?  I don't think it's as big a deal as all of you are making it out to be.

I mean... if his girl is/was pregnant at any point it seems to have only happened very recently because I see no evidence on her IG account:

https://www.instagram.com/kkdixonn/?hl=en