WVgrizz

Tyus Jones, Grizzlies agree to $28 million offer sheet

18 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

I think it really boils more down to:

1) Delon was going to cost a good bit more than the $29 mil he eventually got if we got into a bidding war with Dallas. 

2) Tyus was the best PG available.

3) FO probably felt they had to go that high to get Minnesota close to the luxury tax if they matched us.

4) He is a young, improving, pass first PG similar to Ja. Yet one who’s TO rate will be the exact opposite of Ja’s inevitably high rookie season rate.

I personally think it was a good signing but can see how some folks aren’t ecstatic.

Image result for by george i think you've got it

1 hour ago, CoolHandGriz said:

I think it really boils more down to:

1) Delon was going to cost a good bit more than the $29 mil he eventually got if we got into a bidding war with Dallas. 

2) Tyus was the best PG available.

3) FO probably felt they had to go that high to get Minnesota close to the luxury tax if they matched us.

4) He is a young, improving, pass first PG similar to Ja. Yet one who’s TO rate will be the exact opposite of Ja’s inevitably high rookie season rate.

I personally think it was a good signing but can see how some folks aren’t ecstatic.

None of that answers why they prioritized a position of 15 minutes a game rather than a position where even the backup can play substantially more minutes.  You know like combo guard or wing.

7 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

None of that answers why they prioritized a position of 15 minutes a game rather than a position where even the backup can play substantially more minutes.  You know like combo guard or wing.

Because we're not competing this season and we have a bunch of SG/SFs that we'll need to weed out and must get minutes so they can be properly evaluated. We'll have another MLE next season (if not cap space) to spend on other needs.

5 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Because we're not competing this season and we have a bunch of SG/SFs that we'll need to weed out and must get minutes so they can be properly evaluated. We'll have another MLE next season (if not cap space) to spend on other needs.

The grizzlies gave him more than the mle with incentives and I'm not convinced the grizzlies won't win 33 games this year.

and for those of you that say that the grizzlies needed to bid high so that Minnesota wouldn't match you don't bid high just because you want to snatch a player way if the player is not worth that amount of money.

that's what the old front office would do the new front office makes judicious signings and they don't overpay

28 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The grizzlies gave him more than the mle with incentives

No, they didn’t.  grizzlies didn’t eevn have more than the MLE to offer, and even with incentives, Tyus would be making slightly less this year than last years mle signing Kyle Anderson,  and Tyus’ deal is declining year to year.  

2 hours ago, kevofrommempho said:

Ja will slide over to Sg and that will allow Jones to play a lot. And the Grizzlies are strategically building a team right now. The Grizzlies saw a backup Pg that they liked so they went ahead and got him now.  The days of reactionary bandaid moves are over. 

2 hours ago, grizzknob said:

No, they didn’t.  grizzlies didn’t eevn have more than the MLE to offer, and even with incentives, Tyus would be making slightly less this year than last years mle signing Kyle Anderson,  and Tyus’ deal is declining year to year.  

If you go by 28 million for 3 years that is 9.3 and the standard mle is 9,258,000, so yes he would be making more. 

IF this :

3 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Tyus’ deal is declining year to year

is correct ...

THEN ... 

4 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

go by 28 million for 3 years that is 9.3

?

10 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

If you go by 28 million for 3 years that is 9.3 and the standard mle is 9,258,000, so yes he would be making more. 

Look, the fact is this - this signing isn't going to keep us from signing anyone in the next 3 years, so what's it matter if we pay him 9 million or even 15m if we're able to sign everyone we want? End of story. All that matters is that we have room to sign whoever we want, and his contract isn't going to change that, whether its 6m or 15m. So lets just wrap this conversation up. God, off season Grizz boards are the worst.

1 minute ago, srmjr23 said:

So lets just wrap this conversation up

NO.

I asked , as politely as I could muster ,

-> 2 PAGES AGO

yet - here we are 😬

2 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

off season Grizz boards are the worst.

can't argue with that part.

🤣💨

I guess I just don't understand why Kevin keeps beating this dead horse.  Even if he doesn't perform well this deal doesn't kill us.  If he performs well, we have a solid player on a good deal.

On 7/11/2019 at 3:51 PM, The Stro Show said:

Peter Edmiston: Some points on Tyus Jones’ new Grizzlies contract: Per source, base deal is 3 yr, $24 million in a descending structure (starts at ~8.4 mil in yr 1). At most, the deal can reach $26.5 mil total w/ (also descending) incentive in each year. Incentive hits if Grizzlies reach 33 wins

– via Twitter peteredmiston

FWIW KBM I was going offf of this for Tyus’ deal.  I believe it’s the most updated info we have.  

9 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

🤣

It's cool man.

"but yeah the grizzlies paid tyus Jones 28 million with incentives over 3 years to be a backup point guard, lol"

^this is, in fact, exactly what they did. But like I said, it's cool man, I get that it's sometimes hard to follow these things, especially living in a confused state where you end up posting things like:

(Narrator voice: it was not, in fact, a mortal lock.)

and this 

(Narrator voice: they were not, in fact, back in a major way.)

I appreciate the entertainment value of your posts though and the way they lead to discussion. +1

yeah thats some funny stuff

I remember holding KBM to account over the very same thread titles LOL

57 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I guess I just don't understand why Kevin keeps beating this dead horse.  Even if he doesn't perform well this deal doesn't kill us.  If he performs well, we have a solid player on a good deal.

You misunderstood, I don't mind the deal at all. I LOVE the signing. All I was saying was that the front office has to have seen a lot in him to give him that much, which makes me MORE excited by the fact that they put a substantial investment in him.

3 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The deal with incentives maxes out at 26.5M, not 28M

6 hours ago, grizzknob said:

Yep. The MLE is the most we can offer him this season, including incentives, signing bonuses, etc. You can't bypass the cap rules by introducing incentives:

Unlikely bonuses in any season are limited to 15% of the player's regular salary in that season. In the first season of a contract the base salary, likely bonuses and unlikely bonuses must all fit within the salary cap or exception. When determining whether the team can sign a contract or extension that includes an unlikely bonus, its room (cap room or remainder of an exception) is reduced by the sum of the unlikely bonuses for all players who signed that season. This prevents a team from signing multiple players to lower salaries but with lots of unlikely bonuses that collectively exceed the cap room it has to offer.

4 hours ago, grizz1016 said:

The deal with incentives maxes out at 26.5M, not 28M

I was going by the multiple reports that said it was 28 million. I don't even regard Peter Edminston or chris herrington. They know less than we do, but if it is 26.5 then fine I was mistaken.

46 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I was going by the multiple reports that said it was 28 million. I don't even regard Peter Edminston or chris herrington. They know less than we do, but if it is 26.5 then fine I was mistaken.

33 wins should be a likely bonus and count against the cap for us and for matching purposes if MN wanted to match .we can't give more than MLE if that's the case.

I think we used full MLE for his 1st year  but his deal declines

16 hours ago, kevofrommempho said:

I think Tyus will pay closer to 20-25 a night. 

On our current roster these are the other "shooting guards":

- Iggy (likely waived/traded before season begins)

- Brooks 

- Jackson (questionable character)

- Allen (questionable character)

- Hill (not sure what deal is here?)

- Watanabe (2-way)

- Caboclo (also SF, PF)

- Anderson (also SF, PF)

- Crowder 

I think Tyus will play guard minutes over many of those guys. 

15 hours ago, grizzknob said:

By virtue of having a soft salary cap, the NBA has given teams a variety of creative ways to re-sign their own players and field a competitive team without running afoul of the CBA. The mid-level exception (MLE) is a popular tool in this regard, as it allows teams over the cap to keep spending money on players-- but the MLE's annual value changes based on whether or not a team is above the NBA's luxury tax threshold.

The "full" mid-level is the largest, and is only available to teams that aren't paying the NBA's luxury tax. It is estimated to be set at $9.246 million for the 2019-20 season. This exception may be split and given to multiple players. It can be used for contracts up to four years in length, with raises up to 5% per year after the first season. That means a full MLE contract could ultimately end up creating a contract worth just under $40 million over the full four years.

So yes you are correct. The Grizzlies did not offer Tyus Jones the full MLE this summer. 

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

So yes you are correct. The Grizzlies did not offer Tyus Jones the full MLE this summer. 

But they did:

- Base salary (2019-20): $8,408,000

- Likely bonus (included in the cap): $850,000

- Total cap hit (2019-20): $9,258,000

NON-TAXPAYER MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only when a team is below the "Apron" (see question number 20). This determination is made after the exception is used, so a team below the Apron cannot use this exception if doing so takes it above the Apron. It cannot be used by a team that has already used the Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception or the Room Mid-Level exception. It allows a team to sign any free agent to a contract with a starting salary up to the following:

Season First-year salary
2017-18 $8.406 million
2018-19 $8.641 million
2019-20 $9.258 million