WVgrizz

Tyus Jones, Grizzlies agree to $28 million offer sheet

1 minute ago, fanboyslim said:

I think that's more "Draw 2+2 and discuss how you feel about the answer with your classmates"

Image result for Im so ashamed gif

2 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Where are the graphs? Where are the pie charts? You failed to use crayons! KBM is never going to accept this! ¬†ūüėĄ

He's pulling guys that are 26 years old and tyus is 23, smh.

I don't know why he's worried about this because apparently everybody understands what he's talking about and nobody understands what I'm talking about, lol

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

He's pulling guys that are 26 years old and tyus is 23, smh.

I don't know why he's worried about this because apparently everybody understands what he's talking about and nobody understands what I'm talking about, lol

Why does the age matter? The longevity of NBA career is more important than an arbitrary age.

Tyus - 4 years

Exum - 5 years

Powell - 4 years

Dinwiddie - 5 years

Dunn - 3 years

Payton - 5 years

Cook - 4 years

Average playing time in the NBA of the 6 players Chip listed is 4.3 years. Tyus has played 4 years. They are very comparable. 

30 minutes ago, grizz1016 said:

Why does the age matter? The longevity of NBA career is more important than an arbitrary age.

Tyus - 4 years

Exum - 5 years

Powell - 4 years

Dinwiddie - 5 years

Dunn - 3 years

Payton - 5 years

Cook - 4 years

Average playing time in the NBA of the 6 players Chip listed is 4.3 years. Tyus has played 4 years. They are very comparable. 

the escalation of a contract is based on how many years of player has been in the league that's why it matters. Understand?

6 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

the escalation of a contract is based on how many years of player has been in the league that's why it matters. Understand?

Read what you wrote again.

Escalation of a contract is dependent on the player’s years of service. Tyus’ years of service is the same as Powell, Cook, one more than Dunn and one less than Dinwiddie, Payton and Exum. Now that I have explained it as one does to a child, do you finally understand?

56 minutes ago, grizz1016 said:

Read what you wrote again.

Escalation of a contract is dependent on the player’s years of service. Tyus’ years of service is the same as Powell, Cook, one more than Dunn and one less than Dinwiddie, Payton and Exum. Now that I have explained it as one does to a child, do you finally understand?

isn't that the same as years of service? and also, if you are 26 and another is 23, it stands to reason that the 26 year old has been in the league longer.

However.

If you want to take up the chip argument, you might want to understand what chip is arguing, which has nothing to do with my post other than the fact that I said the grizzlies, based on tyus's contract, view him as a potential star. Chip had a problem with that so chip decides that he is going to argue about what a BACKUP PG makes, because that's what Chip views Tyus as by pointing out that among the backup pgs in the league, Tyus is currently in the middle based on salary, and therefore chip feels that the value that the grizzlies place on tyus is about average (and to chip, this is game, set match.)

Then I innocently asked chip to redo his chart based on the players at Tyus age. But he failed to do it, so I'll do it for him.

Of the players on that list:

Dennis Schroeder, Spencer¬†DinwiddieÔĽŅÔĽŅ¬†and Norman Powell are comparable. The only one that is clearly making more than Tyus is Schroeder and everyone of these players are core players or considered Stars. Dante Exum was a top 5 pick and doesn't meet the criteria¬†that I set, but in fact Tyus has a chance to make more than a player that was a top 5 pick. Kris Dunn has not gotten to his 2nd contract, but it is safe to say that he won't approach 10 million on his next deal. Several players on that list are much older and more established than Tyus and are making less: DJ Augustin and Lou Williams for example. And the only players that are Tyus's age or younger that are making his type of money are former top 5 picks with built in salaries: Lozo Ball, for example.

Again, this all started because Chip views Tyus as a backup point guard and he wanted to set me straight, and all he did was make himself look silly. That list MAKES my point, not chips dim-lighted view of it. 

54 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

isn't that the same as years of service? and also, if you are 26 and another is 23, it stands to reason that the 26 year old has been in the league longer.

However.

If you want to take up the chip argument, you might want to understand what chip is arguing, which has nothing to do with my post other than the fact that I said the grizzlies, based on tyus's contract, view him as a potential star. Chip had a problem with that so chip decides that he is going to argue about what a BACKUP PG makes, because that's what Chip views Tyus as by pointing out that among the backup pgs in the league, Tyus is currently in the middle based on salary, and therefore chip feels that the value that the grizzlies place on tyus is about average (and to chip, this is game, set match.)

Then I innocently asked chip to redo his chart based on the players at Tyus age. But he failed to do it, so I'll do it for him.

Dennis Schroeder, Spencer¬†DinwiddieÔĽŅÔĽŅ¬†and Norman Powell are comparable. The only one that is clearly making more than Tyus is Schroeder and everyone of these players are core players or considered Stars. Dante Exum was a top 5 pick and doesn't meet the criteria¬†that I set, but in fact Tyus has a chance to make more than a player that was a top 5 pick. Kris Dunn has not gotten to his 2nd contract, but it is safe to say that he won't approach 10 million on his next deal. Several players on that list are much older and more established than Tyus and are making less: DJ Augustin and Lou Williams for example. And the only players that are Tyus's age or younger that are making his type of money are former top 5 picks with built in salaries: Lozo Ball, for example.

Again, this all started because Chip views Tyus as a backup point guard and he wanted to set me straight, and all he did was make himself look silly. That list MAKES my point, not chips dim-lighted view of it. 

Kevin, what is your point?  Do you think we should have gone cheap to secure what is probably, at least, the sixth most important spot on a 15 man roster?  I don't know how well Tyus is going to perform in Memphis, but critics of the signing seem to agree that he was one of the best backups available.  I'm okay with it.  The teams that don't take steps to secure the best talent available are the ones that lose - a lot.

Your argument about his age is silly.  It could have been said the same of Mike Conley when he signed his $150+M contract.  After all, there were more senior players, some of them superstars, who never got paid that well.  Times change, wages go up.

TJones contract is not some huge crippling albatross, so your incessant questioning of the merits of the signing seems to make you look silly IMO.

10 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Kevin, what is your point?  Do you think we should have gone cheap to secure what is probably, at least, the sixth most important spot on a 15 man roster?  I don't know how well Tyus is going to perform in Memphis, but critics of the signing seem to agree that he was one of the best backups available.  I'm okay with it.  The teams that don't take steps to secure the best talent available are the ones that lose - a lot.

Your argument about his age is silly.  It could have been said the same of Mike Conley when he signed his $150+M contract.  After all, there were more senior players, some of them superstars, who never got paid that well.  Times change, wages go up.

TJones contract is not some huge crippling albatross, so your incessant questioning of the merits of the signing seems to make you look silly IMO.

My only point was that I was in awe of his contract. I think he will prove the live up to it in spades. But you seem to want to critique my explanation of chip's stupid list. All I was doing when I was pointing out that Tyus is getting paid more than Lou Wlliams is to not try to prove my point, but to show how dumb chip's list was.

You can't compare players' contract without comparing a lot of other things as well. However, the fact remains that getting a deal like Tyus got at 23 is a pretty big statement as to what they think he will be, in the future.

Of course, chip thinks the grizzlies decided to spend 28 million dollars on a backup pg, more power to him. Who am I to question the great chip crane. 

I think Tyus is a fine backup PG.  The money is a lot if PG is the only position he can play though.  That only leaves him about 15 minutes a games if Ja stays healthy.  I guess you could make the argument that he is worth it as insurance in case Ja goes down, since we are building a team that will depend heavily on the PG position.

I would feel a whole lot better about it though if I thought he could be like a Fred Van Vleet and play alongside Ja some.

2 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

I think Tyus is a fine backup PG.  The money is a lot if PG is the only position he can play though.  That only leaves him about 15 minutes a games if Ja stays healthy.  I guess you could make the argument that he is worth it as insurance in case Ja goes down, since we are building a team that will depend heavily on the PG position.

I would feel a whole lot better about it though if I thought he could be like a Fred Van Vleet and play alongside Ja some.

So basically you view Tyus differently than the grizzlies front office views him. Which was my point all along, that that 28 million dollar deal with incentives isn't for a BACKUP pg, that the grizzlies have far more grander plans for him than apparently you and chip feel about him.

4 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

So basically you view Tyus differently than the grizzlies front office views him. Which was my point all along, that that 28 million dollar deal with incentives isn't for a BACKUP pg, that the grizzlies have far more grander plans for him than apparently you and chip feel about him.

It does seem that way, although I don't think we necessarily know what the front office thinks.  Maybe they just really value having insurance for the position.

14 hours ago, grizz1016 said:

Tyus - 4 years

Exum - 5 years

Powell - 4 years

Dinwiddie - 5 years

Dunn - 3 years

Payton - 5 years

Cook - 4 years

Thanks. I'm glad someone understands that this is the only way to compare players salaries, age and position to get an idea of what is average pay versus star pay. 

13 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

However.

TLDR

1 minute ago, srmjr23 said:

TLDR

Lol, too much logic.

And that list that chip just quoted I guess you didn't see the fact that everybody on that list is making less than tyus Jones will be if he meets all his incentives.

but yeah the grizzlies paid tyus Jones 28 million with incentives over 3 years to be a backup point guard, lol

8 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

Tldr

Just now, Kevin B Moses said:

Tldr

ūü§£

It's cool man.

"but yeah the grizzlies paid tyus Jones 28 million with incentives over 3 years to be a backup point guard, lol"

^this is, in fact, exactly what they did. But like I said, it's cool man, I get that it's sometimes hard to follow these things, especially living in a confused state where you end up posting things like:

(Narrator voice: it was not, in fact, a mortal lock.)

and this 

(Narrator voice: they were not, in fact, back in a major way.)

I appreciate the entertainment value of your posts though and the way they lead to discussion. +1

28 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Lol, too much logic.

And that list that chip just quoted I guess you didn't see the fact that everybody on that list is making less than tyus Jones will be if he meets all his incentives.

but yeah the grizzlies paid tyus Jones 28 million with incentives over 3 years to be a backup point guard, lol

What do you believe the Grizzlies plans are for Tyus Jones? To start him ahead of Ja Morant? Start a backcourt of Jones and Morant? 

Either you see Jones as the backup PG or the starting PG and I see Ja Morant as the starting point guard so yes I see Tyus Jones as the backup PG. 

14 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

What do you believe the Grizzlies plans are for Tyus Jones? To start him ahead of Ja Morant? Start a backcourt of Jones and Morant? 

Either you see Jones as the backup PG or the starting PG and I see Ja Morant as the starting point guard so yes I see Tyus Jones as the backup PG. 

my only point was I was in awe of his contract and I wanted to highlight that the grizzlies gave him an insane amount all this other stuff was your creation

Obviously Tyus is the backup pg.  I think chances are good that he also plays 5-10 mpg at SG alongside Ja.  T’Wolves played Tyus with Rose a decent bit last year.  Lots of teams with decent pg options do that these days.  How much SG Tyus plays may also depend some on the quality of play some of our other unproven guys are able to bring at SG. 

25 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

my only point was I was in awe of his contract and I wanted to highlight that the grizzlies gave him an insane amount all this other stuff was your creation

I think we have shown that this is about average for a backup PG not on a rookie deal. 

42 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

ūü§£

It's cool man.

"but yeah the grizzlies paid tyus Jones 28 million with incentives over 3 years to be a backup point guard, lol"

^this is, in fact, exactly what they did. But like I said, it's cool man, I get that it's sometimes hard to follow these things, especially living in a confused state where you end up posting things like:

(Narrator voice: it was not, in fact, a mortal lock.)

and this 

(Narrator voice: they were not, in fact, back in a major way.)

I appreciate the entertainment value of your posts though and the way they lead to discussion. +1

*game show host voice

You have WON this thread !

ūüíęūü§£ūüíę

The question, if you boil it down is can Ja and Tyus play significant minutes together.  I say that would be a bad pairing unless the opposing team is playing two small guards.  Taller guards would roast them and neither is good enough off the ball offensively to warrant giving up that kind of mismatch defensively 

I think it really boils more down to:

1) Delon was going to cost a good bit more than the $29 mil he eventually got if we got into a bidding war with Dallas. 

2) Tyus was the best PG available.

3) FO probably felt they had to go that high to get Minnesota close to the luxury tax if they matched us.

4) He is a young, improving, pass first PG similar to Ja. Yet one who’s TO rate will be the exact opposite of Ja’s inevitably high rookie season rate.

I personally think it was a good signing but can see how some folks aren’t ecstatic.