WVgrizz

Tyus Jones, Grizzlies agree to $28 million offer sheet

2 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

But you are also pairing him with Jonas.     

I read MattHrdlicka article on Tyus addition this morning.  He made really good points in regards to how redundant Kyle Anderson is now that we signed Tyus.    Both of them offer the exact same qualities (High BBIQ, Playmaking passing, ballhandling) including propensity to not shoot or score.   He doesn't see how they fit together in a lineup that will also include Brandon Clarke (another nonshooter).  Grayson can dribble and pass too so its not like he is needed as a secondary facilitator.  

Last season when he started Everyone in that lineup could space the floor (Mike, Garrett, JaM/Jaren, Gasol)   He never really played with Delon and Jonas( 2 non floor spacers).  

This season is totally different.   Kyle better work real hard this summer to improve his 3pt shot because his fit has become even more harder to see. 

Maybe he will fit, maybe he won't.  Thankfully, it isn't up to board members to decide.

4 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

But you are also pairing him with Jonas.     

I read MattHrdlicka article on Tyus addition this morning.  He made really good points in regards to how redundant Kyle Anderson is now that we signed Tyus.    Both of them offer the exact same qualities (High BBIQ, Playmaking passing, ballhandling) including propensity to not shoot or score.   He doesn't see how they fit together in a lineup that will also include Brandon Clarke (another nonshooter).  Grayson can dribble and pass too so its not like he is needed as a secondary facilitator.  

Last season when he started Everyone in that lineup could space the floor (Mike, Garrett, JaM/Jaren, Gasol)   He never really played with Delon and Jonas( 2 non floor spacers).  

This season is totally different.   Kyle better work real hard this summer to improve his 3pt shot because his fit has become even more harder to see. 

One thing I notice is you seem to take every article by every prognosticating blogger as the gospel truth.

1 minute ago, smit-tay griz said:

One thing I notice is you seem to take every article by every prognosticating blogger as the gospel truth.

GTF doesn't do that. He only takes as gospel truth the bloggers he agrees with. 

Don't worry anyway, if Kyle is healthy and wins the starting job GTF will say he has always been supportive of that. 

5 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I listened to Jenkins interviews and watch the players.    The type of system or style he wants to create doesn't fit SloMo. He hasn't nor do i expect him to explicitly state that. 

I do not lack Critical Thinking skills.  I understand how to make logical conclusions based on gathered information.    I don't expect every move/decision that is going to be made to be announced by FO or Coaches like Chip does.   

Peter Edmiston: Some points on Tyus Jones’ new Grizzlies contract: Per source, base deal is 3 yr, $24 million in a descending structure (starts at ~8.4 mil in yr 1). At most, the deal can reach $26.5 mil total w/ (also descending) incentive in each year. Incentive hits if Grizzlies reach 33 wins

– via Twitter peteredmiston

9 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I listened to Jenkins interviews and watch the players.    The type of system or style he wants to create doesn't fit SloMo. He hasn't nor do i expect him to explicitly state that. 

I do not lack Critical Thinking skills.  I understand how to make logical conclusions based on gathered information.    I don't expect every move/decision that is going to be made to be announced by FO or Coaches like Chip does.   

I don't know where you are going with this tangent about wanting the FO or coaches to announce everything but I don't expect that. I do expect the FO and coaches to be visible with the fans. I don't like them hiding out in their offices and only doing interviews with their paid reporters. I also wish but don't expect them to be upfront about their plans in general. 

Since this has absolutely nothing to do with the subject we were talking about I can only guess you threw it in to try and change the subject. 

And what are we to make of your critical thinking skills if Kyle starts? 

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I don't know where you are going with this tangent about wanting the FO or coaches to announce everything but I don't expect that. I do expect the FO and coaches to be visible with the fans. I don't like them hiding out in their offices and only doing interviews with their paid reporters. I also wish but don't expect them to be upfront about their plans in general. 

Since this has absolutely nothing to do with the subject we were talking about I can only guess you threw it in to try and change the subject. 

Nope it was relevant. Smit assumes i over value the opinions of bloggers.  I just explained to him how i utilize multiple sources to come to my conclusions.   

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Nope it was relevant. Smit assumes i over value the opinions of bloggers.  I just explained to him how i utilize multiple sources to come to my conclusions.   

And then you change them... 

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I'm not sure how much of an assumption it is.  You've been doing it for years.

4 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

He states his opinions (conclusions) as being fact, then he changes them.

Now that's a fact! 

Image result for laughing gif

2 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Im guessing 33 wins is a likely incentive .

Every futures betting site has us around 26-28 on the over/under. Don't think he hits the incentive this year, but next 2 years he/we should.

4 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

Every futures betting site has us around 26-28 on the over/under. Don't think he hits the incentive this year, but next 2 years he/we should.

I think likely looks at past wins/loss not futures betting sites . if its likely it will count againat the cap and his salary number right now . unlikely only counts once he hits the bonus.

Making then likely is what pushes his salary out of reach for MN .

3 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

Well it gives him something to shoot for.

.....this is the Tyus Jones thread right?

31 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

Peter Edmiston: Some points on Tyus Jones’ new Grizzlies contract: Per source, base deal is 3 yr, $24 million in a descending structure (starts at ~8.4 mil in yr 1). At most, the deal can reach $26.5 mil total w/ (also descending) incentive in each year. Incentive hits if Grizzlies reach 33 wins

– via Twitter peteredmiston

I'm loving our front office more and more every day. 

There are three categories of allowable incentives: performance, academic/physical achievement, and extra promotional. The latter two categories are always included in the player's salary and team salary amounts. Performance incentives are classified as either "likely to be achieved" or "not likely to be achieved," with only the likely incentives included in the player's salary and team salary amounts. The determination of whether an incentive is likely or not likely is based on whether the criterion was achieved in the previous season. For example, if a player had seven assists per game the previous season, then an incentive based on seven assists per game would be classified as likely to be achieved, but one based on eight assists per game would be classified as not likely.

If either the league or players association feels that the previous season does not fairly predict the performance in the current season, then a jointly-selected expert determines whether the default classification should be overruled. This can happen when the player was injured the previous season.

Unlikely bonuses in any season are limited to 15% of the player's regular salary in that season. In the first season of a contract the base salary, likely bonuses and unlikely bonuses must all fit within the salary cap or exception. When determining whether the team can sign a contract or extension that includes an unlikely bonus, its room (cap room or remainder of an exception) is reduced by the sum of the unlikely bonuses for all players who signed that season. This prevents a team from signing multiple players to lower salaries but with lots of unlikely bonuses that collectively exceed the cap room it has to offer. For example, suppose a team has $10 million in cap room and signs a player to a contract with $5 million in base salary and $750,000 in unlikely bonuses. The team then has $5 million in remaining cap room1, and can sign another player for $5 million with no unlikely bonuses. But if the team also wants to include an unlikely bonus for this player, the player's full salary (including the unlikely bonus) cannot exceed $4.25 million (the team's remaining cap room minus the $750,000 unlikely bonus given to the other player).

Incentives must be structured so that they provide an incentive for positive achievement by the player or team, and are based upon numerical benchmarks (such as points per game or team wins) or generally recognized league honors2. The numerical benchmarks must be specific -- for example, a bonus may be based on the player's free throw percentage exceeding 80%, but may not be based on a relative measure such as the player's free throw percentage improving over his previous season's percentage. Certain kinds of incentives are not allowed, such as those based on the player being on the team's roster on a specific date or for a specific number of games.

All performance incentives are re-evaluated at the start of each season to determine whether they should be classified as likely or not likely to be achieved. Performance incentives are recomputed when a player is traded, but only if they are team-related and based on the previous-season performance of the team. For example, suppose Team A won 25 games last season, and Team B (with the league MVP) won 55. Also suppose the MVP has a performance incentive that is based on his team winning 30 games. Going into the season this incentive would be classified as likely to be achieved, since his team (Team B) won 55 games the previous season. Now suppose this player is traded to Team A in exchange for draft picks. The incentive would be recomputed upon the trade, and in this case would be reclassified from likely to unlikely to be achieved, since the player's new team won fewer than 30 games the previous season (even though adding the MVP could easily push Team A's win total above 30).3

Other rules related to incentives:

-Minimum salary contracts cannot contain bonuses of any kind.

-Two-Way contracts (see question number 82) cannot contain bonuses or incentives.

-The rules for raises (and decreases) also apply to incentives. When salary increases or decreases are limited to 5% or 8, then likely and unlikely bonuses may each increase or decrease by 5% or 8%, respectively (see question number 53).

-If a contract with bonuses is extended (see question number 58), then the extension must have the same bonuses. The bonus amounts may increase or decrease by up to 8%, but they can't be left off.

1 This example ignores empty roster charges in order to simplify the explanation.

2 Any performance benchmarks must be based on official NBA statistics available on NBA.com. Generally recognized league honors includes MVP, Finals MVP, Defensive Player of the Year, Sixth Man, Most Improved Player, All-NBA Team (first, second and third), All-Defensive Team (first and second), and All-Star selection.

3 An interesting case of bonus recomputation occurred during the 2013-14 season. Luke Ridnour had a performance bonus that was based on his team making the playoffs. At the start of the season he played for Milwaukee, which had made the playoffs the previous season, so his bonus was classified as likely. Ridenour was later traded to Charlotte, which had missed the playoffs the previous season, so his bonus was reclassified to unlikely upon the trade. Therefore, Ridnour ironically went from having a likely bonus he wasn't going to earn, to having an unlikely bonus he was going to earn.

So is the 33 wins considered likely or not to be reached? 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

So is the 33 wins considered likely or not to be reached? 

likely I bet since its what made his contract higher so mn wouldn't match it so easily .

Just now, IdrinkGuinness said:

likely I bet since its what made his contract higher so mn wouldn't match it so easily .

Interesting. Thanks for posting that. 

1 minute ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Ah! I see what you meant now. Didn't even realize the "likelihood" of the incentive mattered for cap purposes. Appreciate the lesson 👍

so much talk here.
But you can say whatever you want - 5 points and 3 assists is horrible for 9 millions a year. Whatever his secret abilities and secret stats are.

4 minutes ago, the paleface said:

so much talk here.
But you can say whatever you want - 5 points and 3 assists is horrible for 9 millions a year. Whatever his secret abilities and secret stats are.

People love to talk about paid too much, not paid enough, but it's about the cap. We're not going to be in a situation where paying him 3m too much (I'm not saying we are) is going to affect our ability to sign other players. It's just not. 

FEDEX Forum  - Additionally, after '21, the contract "remains intact unless attendance falls below some prescribed marks." Three figures are at play, and they are an "average paid attendance" of 14,900; sales of the largest 64 suites; and club seat season-ticket sales of 2,500. If "any of those are not met" in the '19-20 season, a window would "open by which the owner could -- but not necessarily would -- break the contract." 

The payrolls after 20-21 are really small, and winning is not a priority.  Wins really affect attendance in Memphis.  We can pray Tyus 31% 3pt average gets better but it gives us something to think about. 

GO GRIZZ.