WVgrizz

Tyus Jones, Grizzlies agree to $28 million offer sheet

3 minutes ago, grizz1016 said:

Cuz most likely Mavs we’re going higher if Grizz didn’t do a sign and trade.

Ohhh gotcha.

I’m cool with Tyus, he plays hard

5 minutes ago, BeastModeGrizz said:

I wonder if Minnesota would match 

It was originally reported as 24m which put Minny right up against the luxury tax and now it's at 28, which I believe should put them over. I've seen some Minny fans Express regret that they might have to overpay him but that they like him

Just now, srmjr23 said:

It was originally reported as 24m which put Minny right up against the luxury tax and now it's at 28, which I believe should put them over. I've seen some Minny fans Express regret that they might have to overpay him but that they like him

I heard woj or one of them say that the grizzlies sign n trade of delon allowed to sign tyus to this offer sheet. If that is the case, the grizzlies are winning even when they are losing. They decided they didn't want Delon, but they kept it quiet and waited for somebody to get interested in him, then they "work" out a deal to get picks for him AND sign the guy they wanted all along.

It is crazy what the grizzlies are doing, seemingly under the radar because the national media ain't even talking about it.

https://hashtagbasketball.com/minnesota-timberwolves/content/appreciate-tyus-jones

It's Time to Appreciate Tyus Jones

Tyus Jones may not fill up the stat sheet but that doesn't stop him from making an impact.

Written by Tyler Metcalf (@tmetcalf11) on 09 October 2018
MIN_8d62d9b7208cf65.jpg

Since day one, Tyus Jones has succeeded at basketball. In high school he was a five-year varsity starter, he won Minnesota Mr. Basketball, he received All-American honors, he was named the nation’s number four recruit, and he earned a scholarship to Duke where continued to thrive. After leading a young, star-studded Duke team to a National Championship and earning the NCAA Final Four Most Outstanding Player, Cleveland selected Jones with the 24th overall pick and promptly traded him to his hometown Timberwolves. Jones has spent his NBA career as a back-up. Compared to his amateur success this may seem like a disappointment, but Jones is actually one of the Timberwolves' most valuable and unsung pieces.

Last season Jones emerged as an important contributor for the Timberwolves. His role off the bench (and 11 starts) provided the calming presence of a player who knew his role and played it to perfection. Before you start throwing a fit, I do realize that 5.1 points, 1.6 rebounds, and 2.8 assists in 17.9 minutes per game seems inconsequential, but to find his true impact we will have to dig deeper than the box score numbers. Every team requires a player to sacrifice and focus on excelling at the little things, which is exactly what Tyus Jones does.

The Timberwolves saw massive success in lineup productivity when Tyus Jones played with the other four starters. There were 94 different five-man lineups that played over 200 minutes together last year and the combination of Jones, Jimmy Butler, Andrew Wiggins, Taj Gibson, and Karl-Anthony Townsrecorded the highest net rating of plus 23.5. Their offensive rating jumped from 110.8 to 118.4, which ranked fourth among these lineups. More impressively, their defensive rating dropped from their horrible average of 108.4 to a suffocating 94.9, which ranked second among these lineups. These numbers are extremely impressive and should be an encouraging sign for a team that struggled so much with bench production last year.

Report this ad
image.png.886d9e0d077368ae3043749077bcef6d.png 

It also doesn’t mean that Jones is a better player than Jeff Teague.

The reason that these lineup numbers are so different with Jones instead of Teague is that Jones is a much better complement to the ball-dominant play of Butler and Towns. Butler and Towns are at their best when they have the offense flowing through them. Jeff Teague is also at his best in these situations. Teague is a very nice player and by no means is this intended as a slight to him. Let’s instead look at how Jones is able to open up the floor for his teammates and why he deserves your appreciation.

With low scoring and assist numbers, it is easy to question Jones’s offensive impact. While the point guard position has developed into a score first position, Jones’s focus is to get the ball into the hands of Minnesota's primary scorers and space the floor. He is fully aware of how he can best help the team succeed and plays to his strengths. When shooting off the dribble, Jones scored just .692 points per possession which placed him in just the 28th percentile, per Synergy. However, his shooting efficiency skyrockets when he shoots off of a pass. In catch and shoot situations he scored 1.12 points per possession, which put him in the 68th percentile.

My impression of Jones is that he's at his best when playing with high-level starters. He's a classic set up pass-first PG. Doesn't really offer much else. I don't expect he'll be as good playing with a rebuilding team as opposed to guys like Wiggins, Towns, Butler et al. 9mil seems like a lot to me, but we've gotta have a backup PG and there aren't really any left so... i'm okay with this, I guess. Interesting to see if the Wolves match.

I like Wright much better, but getting some picks out of one while signing the other is a great deal all in all. 

Just now, tennesseessio said:

My impression of Jones is that he's at his best when playing with high-level starters. He's a classic set up pass-first PG. Doesn't really offer much else. I don't expect he'll be as good playing with a rebuilding team as opposed to guys like Wiggins, Towns, Butler et al. 9mil seems like a lot to me, but we've gotta have a backup PG and there aren't really any left so... i'm okay with this, I guess. Interesting to see if the Wolves match.

I like Wright much better, but getting some picks out of one while signing the other is a great deal all in all. 

The more I look at him, the more I think he is a less athletic Mike Conley Jr. I think you would could possibly attribute his slow progression of his scoring ability to his athletic ability. It was easier for Mike due to his raw athleticism. I could see Tyus putting it all together like say Jimmy Butler did. It took Jimmy Butler a while to figure it out. I think Tyus is on that same plane. He needs to get a bit stronger, but I could see him have a breakout season in the future, for sure.  

Solid if we can keep him 

2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The more I look at him, the more I think he is a less athletic Mike Conley Jr. I think you would could possibly attribute his slow progression of his scoring ability to his athletic ability. It was easier for Mike due to his raw athleticism. I could see Tyus putting it all together like say Jimmy Butler did. It took Jimmy Butler a while to figure it out. I think Tyus is on that same plane. He needs to get a bit stronger, but I could see him have a breakout season in the future, for sure.  

It's good to see this KBM, I like fun guy KBM

Smart move. Let's see if the T-Wolves can unload Wiggins today so they can match. 

40 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

It's good to see this KBM, I like fun guy KBM

We have fun guy KBM and optimistic IIWII. WHAT IS HAPPENNING???!?

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

We have fun guy KBM and optimistic IIWII. WHAT IS HAPPENNING???!?

IKR 😂.  I guess we all have to acknowledge that this front office is legit.  

This could end up being a big time move for us. You lose a guy like Jevon Carter and get Tyus Jones. Jones has a lot more upside than Delon. We win this if Min doesn’t match 

33 minutes ago, WVgrizz said:

This could end up being a big time move for us. You lose a guy like Jevon Carter and get Tyus Jones. Jones has a lot more upside than Delon. We win this if Min doesn’t match 

We already got a win for moving Jevon for Melton and those picks. I know you are a fan so I won't pile on but Melton is a more versatile version of Jevon

6 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

We already got a win for moving Delon for Melton and those picks. I know you are a fan so I won't pile on but Melton is a more versatile version of Jevon

Jevon was nowhere close to being the player Delon is.

25 minutes ago, WVgrizz said:

I wouldn't bet the ranch that Jones has more upside than Delon.