Grizzfan7979

What is FO's plan?

From what we've seen so far, to me it seems the front office has several guidelines that are determining its actions

1. The future is Ja, JJJ, and JV with possible other building blocks of Brandon Clarke, Delon, Slomo, Brooks. We're going to audition Josh Jackson, Caboclo, and Melton to be part of the future.

2. We can't attract marquee free agents so don't go after any. Get assets in trades and keep a clean cap sheet for 2020.

3. We're not competitive in the upcoming year and can't expect to win a playoff series if we got there, so no need to try to keep veteran pieces for this year. Deal them all for assets.

4. No sentimentality from previous regime, i.e. don't hold onto sunk costs hoping they can turn it around (Parsons, Carter, et. Al.)

Any other philosophies they've carved in stone that I've missed? I do wonder what their plan with the mammoth amount of capspace they have for next year is. Assuming they pick up options on Jackson and JJJ and Allen and resign Delon about 6-8 million per year they're going to have about 40 million of space under the cap. I have to assume they're looking to provide cap relief and get a big piece that way (not Wiggins people. Stop with that).

Hopefully we see more of the same .another pick or two  , our pick settled with bos and a good look at our young players sounds good to me.

14 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Hopefully we see more of the same .another pick or two  , our pick settled with bos and a good look at our young players sounds good to me.

That's the best we can hope for during our rebuild. 

There is a *chance* we attract some free agents next season if Ja and JJJ have fantastic seasons. Siakim, Jaylen Brown, and Buddy Hield are all high profile FA's and would be great fits. Doubt any of those three leave for Memphis though.

Lower level guys available next year are:

Otto Porter, DeMar Derozan, Draymond Green, Brandon Ingram, Caris LeVert, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Sabonis,

51 minutes ago, BTiger3733 said:

There is a *chance* we attract some free agents next season if Ja and JJJ have fantastic seasons. Siakim, Jaylen Brown, and Buddy Hield are all high profile FA's and would be great fits. Doubt any of those three leave for Memphis though.

Otto Porter, DeMar Derozan, Draymond Green, Brandon Ingram, Caris LeVert, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Sabonis,

Having Siakim play next to JJJ would be amazing. 

Caris Levert won’t be a lower level player. He will be high profile. Also whom I wouldn’t mind going after. 

The future is unclear for virtually every team.  Planning beyond 3 years in the future is extremely difficult with the crazy money being thrown around in free-agency.

For the Grizzlies, if Ja and/or JJJ emerge into the players we hope they will be ... how can we entice them to stay in Memphis?  We have got to become relevant quickly (I'll give us one development year).  And we have to have an enjoyable environment for them (great fans and great team-mates).  Otherwise we will be in constant rebuild mode.

Asset acquisition for the next two seasons, take bad deals and get draft capital to do so. 

It'll take some time for Ja and JJJ to be ready to compete in this west. But when they show the signs, be ready to pounce, and have the cap space and assets to go make a trade to get those guys some help. 

58 minutes ago, pjs said:

The future is unclear for virtually every team.  Planning beyond 3 years in the future is extremely difficult with the crazy money being thrown around in free-agency.

For the Grizzlies, if Ja and/or JJJ emerge into the players we hope they will be ... how can we entice them to stay in Memphis?  We have got to become relevant quickly (I'll give us one development year).  And we have to have an enjoyable environment for them (great fans and great team-mates).  Otherwise we will be in constant rebuild mode.

So far so good on the enjoyable environment.  They interviewed Jaren during the Pacers game and he was talking about hanging out with Ja and some of his other teammates.  The guys all seem to like each other.

7 minutes ago, UkGrizz said:

Well if there was any doubt before I think we can now safely say they'd be happy to keep this pick this year.

No doubt. We're not trying to make playoffs. I do wonder with it being more open if there will be less tanking teams this year.

10 hours ago, BTiger3733 said:

There is no chance to get a high profile FA next year.

When this team wins 20-30 games next year, it will need to overpay for a lower level free agent, if they want one.  Or deal  cap space for underperforming vets.  I don't foresee them overpaying for turds either.

Free agents that have choices want to go to competitive teams, not developmental squads.

I think our goal is to be slated to get a pick in the 5-10 range so we if we move up or keep our pic great.  If not, we give Boston a mid lotto pick and get back to normal for 2021.

This FO is Bossing it! 

The plan is pretty clear and straightforward. Accumulate picks, young players with potential and gain flexibility in cap space. 

They have totally remade the roster and direction of the team in one off-season. This FO is going to be a player moving forward. So glad we moved off CW wonder why they took so long. 

It seems to me, and I could be way off here, but the Grizzlies Front office is redefining Grit and Grind in the modern era. Ja Morant is capable of playing defense. Jackson and Clarke are defensive dynamos who will wreck havoc on anyone getting past Ja at the point while terrorizing spot up shooters with their length and leaping ability. If Kyle is able to return from his shoulder surgery he's an excellent perimeter defender as well. 

The old Grit and Grind was power interior play with tough pressure on the ball. The new GNG is more speed and length to cover the three point line and shot blocking to harass inside. 

Oh and better all around offensive ability too. 

16 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

It seems to me, and I could be way off here, but the Grizzlies Front office is redefining Grit and Grind in the modern era. Ja Morant is capable of playing defense. Jackson and Clarke are defensive dynamos who will wreck havoc on anyone getting past Ja at the point while terrorizing spot up shooters with their length and leaping ability. If Kyle is able to return from his shoulder surgery he's an excellent perimeter defender as well. 

The old Grit and Grind was power interior play with tough pressure on the ball. The new GNG is more speed and length to cover the three point line and shot blocking to harass inside. 

Oh and better all around offensive ability too

Are the Clippers playing Grit N Grind too?

1 minute ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Are the Clippers playing Grit N Grind too?

100%  they literally stole our mantra.   Pat Bev and Montrez have said in numerous interviews they are "just grinders and blue collar guys".   They are rebranding themselves to be opposite of Showtime.  

19 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Josh Jackson and Melton were supposed to be high level wing defenders as well.    Jenkins has stated in every interview i have heard that defense was first priority.   Offensively he will give them freedom but defense gotta be disciplined. 

23 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

It's a formula that worked for this city... their building a team this city can get behind

I love our Grit and Grind, but all good teams do it. I hope we can get back to the point of being in games in the 4th and grind out wins. I remember years ago playing the good teams, we would hang until about halfway through the 4th, then lose by 12 or 15.

1 minute ago, Jetfixer said:

I love our Grit and Grind, but all good teams do it. I hope we can get back to the point of being in games in the 4th and grind out wins. I remember years ago playing the good teams, we would hang until about halfway through the 4th, then lose by 12 or 15.

That's how I think it will be this year.

That's the way it is in the NBA.  Bad teams can play good teams pretty evenly through 3 quarters, but in the end, it ends up a 8-10 point game.