gfaulk09

Dwight to Memphis (sources say)

“I don’t have an ego — it’s dead,” Howard told The Athletic. “It had to die for me to be who I am. Sometimes when you want to become who you want to be, you have to die within yourself. Once you learn that you have to give up yourself for the team, that’s when things flourish.

“I had a conversation with someone, and he said, ‘To be honest, man, I always thought you had a chance to be one of the best players to ever play, and still do. But I don’t think you’ve been focused.’ I started to sit back and think about what that meant. I thought I was focused. I was always in the gym, working. But was I really focused? Was I really locked in on what I was doing in life?

“It took a while to see that when I was that guy. I was that main dude for a long time. Now it is about whatever it takes. I thought I had that mindset, but I didn’t have it like I do now.”

That Howard note almost reminds me of the Parsons piece in the Athletic.

I'm not adamant that Howard has to be waived, but if he is here, he needs to have a short leash.

Just now, Grizzled Vet said:

That Howard note almost reminds me of the Parsons piece in the Athletic.

I'm not adamant that Howard has to be waived, but if he is here, he needs to have a short leash.

Who's roster spot does he take?

Pg Ja, Jones, Melton

Sg. Josh, Allen, Dillon, Marco

Sf   Kyle, Bruno, Clarke

Pf,   JJJ, Crowder, Rabb

C. JV, Plumlee 

Think I'd rather keep Rabb, 

I don't mind if stays the rest of the year or he's cut,  I just don't buy some posters reasonong. 

1)if you're waiving him because hes a bad influence on the young guys,  I'd have to say that Jackson, whom we're likely going to keep depending on how he pans out would be a much worse influence 

2) if we're stressing a rebuild then why sign JV then? If it's because of his production Howard had very similar numbers to JV before getting hurt

3)if its for mentors, I'm 1000% sure we could get cheaper than 45 mill.  

I'm not saying he's a long term just saying some people's reasoning are flawed

8 minutes ago, Ace-is-high said:

Pg Ja, Jones, Melton

Sf   Kyle, Bruno, Clarke

Pf,   JJJ, Crowder, Rabb

C. JV, Plumlee 

Rabb probably wont stick,  just too small for the 5

Right now the roster looks like this I believe:

PG: Ja Morant, Tyus Jones, De'Anthony Melton
SG: Dillon Brooks, Grayson Allen, Andre Iguodala
SF: Kyle Anderson, Jae Crowder, Josh Jackson. Solomon Hill
PF: Jaren Jackson, Brandon Clarke, Bruno Caboclo
C  : Jonas Valanciunas, Myles Plumlee, Dwight Howard, Ivan Rabb

That's 17 players and not counting Yuta and Konchar who are the two way players. Assuming Iguodala and Howard are bought out and Rabb is cut that leaves the team with 14 players and that frees up room for the rumored Marco Guduric signing where he would replace Andre on the depth chart. 

To be honest this team looks like a low lottery team on paper. That could be good however because that means they keep their first round draft pick and have a ton of cap space available to build around their young core in the summer of 2020. 

15 minutes ago, Ace-is-high said:

Pg Ja, Jones, Melton

Sf   Kyle, Bruno, Clarke

Pf,   JJJ, Crowder, Rabb

C. JV, Plumlee 

That's fine, but if you are going to waive him anyway, why not take him to camp and see what he has?

It makes no difference financially to waive him before camp or after trade deadline.

Neither he, nor Plumlee, nor Hill will be the guys on the roster going forward. But let them see who wants to be around when camp opens.

I'm not at all a Howard fan, and would rather have Noah, but if he can't be dealt, let's see what he has.

1 minute ago, Grizzled Vet said:

That's fine, but if you are going to waive him anyway, why not take him to camp and see what he has?

It makes no difference financially to waive him before camp or after trade deadline.

Neither he, nor Plumlee, nor Hill will be the guys on the roster going forward. But let them see who wants to be around when camp opens.

I'm not at all a Howard fan, and would rather have Noah, but if he can't be dealt, let's see what he has.

Sure I suppose,  if hes healthy why not?

18 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

That's 17 players and not counting Yuta and Konchar who are the two way players. Assuming Iguodala and Howard are bought out and Rabb is cut that leaves the team with 14 players and that frees up room for the rumored Marco Guduric signing where he would replace Andre on the depth chart. 

To be honest this team looks like a low lottery team on paper. That could be good however because that means they keep their first round draft pick and have a ton of cap space available to build around their young core in the summer of 2020. 

BO Hill and Plumlee, if DH is decent, keep Iggy and cut Rabb. You'd get more out if Iggy than Plumlee and Hill.

2 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

BO Hill and Plumlee, if DH is decent, keep Iggy and cut Rabb. You'd get more out if Iggy than Plumlee and Hill.

Hill and Plumlee may be the better options.

I don't know what direction the team is heading in honestly. Does the team want to win more games this coming season, risk losing their lottery pick (it's only top 6 protected) and the opportunity to add a third piece to the puzzle just to win a few more games?

Or would they prefer to focus on getting experience this season without winning a lot of games to add another high lottery pick to the roster with the intention of winning more games the next year when the pick has to be conveyed to Boston? 

If I knew what they were thinking I could say who was more likely to be moved or released. 

1 minute ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Did I see that Iggy' contract is for 3 years? They would have to be really bad to try to get in the top 6.

He's an UFA next year.

Kyle Anderson is NOT a starter IMO. Start Josh Jackson from day one, cut Rabb, trade Iggy along with Solomon Hill...Keep Dwight Howard. Everyone has a last in the West. I don’t know if the Memphis fans can endure a long rebuilding process. We must remain competitive. 

7 minutes ago, f-dizzle said:

Kyle Anderson is NOT a starter IMO. Start Josh Jackson from day one, cut Rabb, trade Iggy along with Solomon Hill...Keep Dwight Howard. Everyone has a last in the West. I don’t know if the Memphis fans can endure a long rebuilding process. We must remain competitive. 

Or at the least enjoyable 

1 hour ago, f-dizzle said:

How bout a 2 year rebuild? I think that's all it takes, a top 6 pick next year might speed up the process 

Why can Memphis Fans endure a rebuild????

I just don't get it!!

We had a rebuilding period after the Pau trade there is nothing  wrong with it.

15 hours ago, f-dizzle said:

I'm sure if the front office agreed with any of your opinions they would be trying their best to accomplish them.  

16 hours ago, f-dizzle said:

Imho JJJ and JA gives us a 2 year head start on a 3 year rebuild. A top 6 pick this year is about what any 3yp should look like .the long rebuild is halfway behind us..

17 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Imho JJJ and JA gives us a 2 year head start on a 3 year rebuild. A top 6 pick this year is about what any 3yp should look like .the long rebuild is halfway behind us..

this 

On 7/8/2019 at 5:23 AM, fanboyslim said:

The original report by Woj said he would be waived or traded. I'm sure they'll explore trade scenarios for a while but I doubt he'll be here by the time training camp begins.

I would take some 2nds if worse came to worse?

1 hour ago, grizzgolf said:

I would take some 2nds if worse came to worse?

I'd trade him strictly for cap space. I mean, if we waive him, he's going to be on our salary so if somebody takes him off of our hands for nothing, I'd be like sure.  Just not sure how many teams have cap space since these sites are still being updated. It looks like ATL has about $4 mil in cap space. I'd take on a smaller contract from ATL. Looks like they have a couple of $1.5 mil contracts. In the big picture, we would have come off of CJ Miles guaranteed $8.7 mil down to $1.5 mil but the question is, why would ATL do it and I don't have a good answer. 

10 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I'd trade him strictly for cap space. I mean, if we waive him, he's going to be on our salary so if somebody takes him off of our hands for nothing, I'd be like sure.  Just not sure how many teams have cap space since these sites are still being updated. It looks like ATL has about $4 mil in cap space. I'd take on a smaller contract from ATL. Looks like they have a couple of $1.5 mil contracts. In the big picture, we would have come off of CJ Miles guaranteed $8.7 mil down to $1.5 mil but the question is, why would ATL do it and I don't have a good answer. 

Good question....but I still haven't figured out why they traded Dorsey for Mack last year.

On 7/8/2019 at 12:45 PM, chipc3 said:

there are two players on that list ,that's on a short list to start 1. Dillion Brooks  2, Kyle Anderson 

On 7/8/2019 at 4:08 PM, chipc3 said:

Hill and Plumlee may be the better options.

I don't know what direction the team is heading in honestly. Does the team want to win more games this coming season, risk losing their lottery pick (it's only top 6 protected) and the opportunity to add a third piece to the puzzle just to win a few more games?

Or would they prefer to focus on getting experience this season without winning a lot of games to add another high lottery pick to the roster with the intention of winning more games the next year when the pick has to be conveyed to Boston? 

If I knew what they were thinking I could say who was more likely to be moved or released. 

I think we know the option is to develop the young players in a competitive environment, and acquire future assets, if possible.  The problem is though they also don't want to spend or waste money unnecessarily, and Hill, Howard & Plumlee won't even fetch a 2nd rounder, so they are either on the roster or waived and another player signed to take their place if roster dips below 15.  

I don't think Howard, Hill, or Plumlee add more than 2 wins at best to the season total, but I also don't think there is a young FA out there now that would be on the roster in 2 years anyways.  So why spend money to replace them if you can't trade them & waive?

They are all expiring contracts that may possibly fetch some future asset value at trade deadline time, but not all of them are worth keeping around for that, but Howard might.