gfaulk09

Dwight to Memphis (sources say)

9 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I don't think any contender wants him. They tried that in HOU and LAL and he completely flamed out. I'm not talking about his on court play but with his attitude. He's been bouncing around ever since. There's a reason he's on an expiring $5 mil contract. No one wants to put up with him, his antics and bs. 

Maybe Fiz will recycle him.

2 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Sorry but this thinking is completely flawed. First of all minimizing a first round pick because its 5 years away is just short sighted. These are moves great FOs make all of the time. Take on contracts for assets. The money isnt counter toward the luxury tax, as you say and almost certainly had nothing to do with whether we would keep Bradley or not anyway. The FO DID play their cards right, and basically every single person on the internet that knows anything about basketball agrees. It's HARDLY a fiasco. There is even some potential we get MORE assets out of it. Worst case scenario is we waive him...that's it.  

Disagree when you have to give up a good player in the process. This pick will probably be a low 1 years from now when the Grizz needed AB to compete now. The FO blew this 1.

4 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Disagree when you have to give up a good player in the process. This pick will probably be a low 1 years from now when the Grizz needed AB to compete now. The FO blew this 1.

Uh... you thought the Grizzlies were going to compete this year?  

15 minutes ago, Joey Crawford said:

He would be a perfect fit for the Brooklyn Nets, to go with Kyrie and KD,  call them the attitude team.

Chicago are in need of a C

Kris Dunn's salary is almost identical to DH12's

7 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Chicago are in need of a C

Kris Dunn's salary is almost identical to DH12's

Who is JV's backup?   Maybe just keep Dwight Howard.

8 minutes ago, Joey Crawford said:

Who is JV's backup?   Maybe just keep Dwight Howard.

Could be Miles Plumlee if he is not also traded.

And then there is also Ivan Rabb....

24 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

For the POs, YES. They may NEVER compete for a championship.

If we were trying to win now it wouldn't make sense, but we aren't. You have to live in reality, and the reality is that we are asset acquisition mode. 

9 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

If we were trying to win now it wouldn't make sense, but we aren't. You have to live in reality, and the reality is that we are asset acquisition mode. 

Why did they resign JV then? Why do they want Delon back? 

3 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Sorry but this thinking is completely flawed. First of all minimizing a first round pick because its 5 years away is just short sighted. These are moves great FOs make all of the time. Take on contracts for assets. The money isnt counter toward the luxury tax, as you say and almost certainly had nothing to do with whether we would keep Bradley or not anyway. The FO DID play their cards right, and basically every single person on the internet that knows anything about basketball agrees. It's HARDLY a fiasco. There is even some potential we get MORE assets out of it. Worst case scenario is we waive him...that's it.  

That's it? We just waive him?  Isn't his contract guaranteed?  I think we'll owe him 17 million +, or whatever buyout can be negotiated.  

I'm all for asset accumulation, but there's no need to cut a good player like Avery Bradley for something that might help 5 years down the road.  Avery would have been a key contributor this year, and the way we played after the all-star break last year, yes I think we would have been at the very least competitive this year.  We were beating teams that were fighting for playoff seeding.  

11 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

Maybe the Celtics could use him, he is a ok backup, in Celtics case he might even start if he is healthy 

reckon we could flip him to Boston for our pick back?  Just kidding!!!!!

38 minutes ago, etngrizz said:

That's it? We just waive him?  Isn't his contract guaranteed?  I think we'll owe him 17 million +, or whatever buyout can be negotiated.  

I'm all for asset accumulation, but there's no need to cut a good player like Avery Bradley for something that might help 5 years down the road.  Avery would have been a key contributor this year, and the way we played after the all-star break last year, yes I think we would have been at the very least competitive this year.  We were beating teams that were fighting for playoff seeding.  

You do realize we will still be a team in 5 years, right? So it does serve a purpose to accrue an asset that you might eventually use in the draft or eventually use in a trade. We just disagree. We were never keeping AB - just wasn't going to happen. Roster crunch will be too much and he would have been the odd man out - given his contract. Theyre not going to pay a guy $12m to play for a rebuilding team when they can pay him $2m and clear a roster spot/cap space. So continuing to suggest that we're losing AB because of Iggy is just not an argument that makes any sense. And its silly to continue to  argue with one another if you really believe that moves made for future Grizz are bad just because they may marginally hurt (very debatable) present Grizz. This is a rebuild. This is how these things work.

5 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Does this dude even have friends in the NBA?

corn

ball

7 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Does this dude even have friends in the NBA?

I would imagine so. He seems like a pretty cool cat. He is also fearless, that in my opinion is one of his strongest attributes. 

4 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Could be Miles Plumlee if he is not also traded.

And then there is also Ivan Rabb....

I feel like Rabb is barely hanging on. Disappointed me last night in the SL

I dont understand the hate on Howard..Not Howard as the player, because his play has fallen off. Im talking about the player. Yes hes too playful, but not sure why everyone is disrespecting him. im not really talking about on these boards,but in general. I know about the rumors,but he seems like a genuine nice guy.

8 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

For the POs, YES. They may NEVER compete for a championship.

There is a 0% chance this team is making the playoffs this year with or without AB

1 hour ago, On My Grizzlie said:

I dont understand the hate on Howard..Not Howard as the player, because his play has fallen off. Im talking about the player. Yes hes too playful, but not sure why everyone is disrespecting him. im not really talking about on these boards,but in general. I know about the rumors,but he seems like a genuine nice guy.

Rumors are that most players dont like him and that he has a two faced personality.

11 hours ago, etngrizz said:

I'm just not feeling all warm and fuzzy about moves being made.  We dump CJ Miles for Howard and there's talk we're going to waive Howard??  Yeah we dump some salary but this whole thing was precipitated by taking Iggy from GS, who we might also waive??  I know we got a 1st round pick 5 years from now, but so what?  The pick is five years away.

If we'd just sat tight we could have held onto a player who could have been key for us next year in Avery Bradley.  Instead we pickup Iggy who counts 17+ mill against the luxury tax and apparently doesn't want to play for Memphis, and then we have to dump Bradley.  

If FO had played their cards right we could have kept Bradley and Delon and CJ.

Instead it appears all these trade exception moves could be turning into a fiasco.  I realize there's still more moves to be made but I'm feeling like they're I hope FO prove me wrong.

The bottom line to me is if we can't get a good trade for Iggy, then he's a Grizzly next year. Period.  If we dump Iggy, we lose.

About the pick, look at it this way; when Boston finally gets the Grizzlies pick from the Jeff Green trade, it will be at least 5 years. 

As far as the moves, prior to draft night I had zero faith in the new F.O.. Actually, worse than that. The way Pera ran/runs the team disgusts me. He see's himself as the team dictator, where I believe he should cultivate a look of being the teams steward. I believe it is important for fans of any pro sports franchise to feel that they have a connection to the team, that the owner is looking out for them. There is a big difference in the perception of an owner who is a dictator (a term Pera himself used) and an owner who is a steward of the fans beloved team.

Anyway, I really like Avery Bradley, and I believe that most if not all Grizzlies fans liked him. The truth is that the focus of the franchise should be building the team for 2 or even 3 years from now, not today's team. We need players that are rising, not ones that have peaked or on their way down. I believe losing Bradley and Miles were good moves. I believe that gathering picks is an excellent move. The Grizzlies are more likely to get quality players from trades than from free agency. History proves that. To get good players in trades you need assets, namely draft picks and young talent. When down the road JJJ, Ja, and whoever else ends up looking like they are/will be quality core players, the Grizzlies need to be able to make a trade(s) to complete the team that will be going deep in the playoffs. Creating cap room and gathering future assets now is the best thing for the F.O. to be doing. I believe that they are righting the ship. (so far)

4 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

About the pick, look at it this way; when Boston finally gets the Grizzlies pick from the Jeff Green trade, it will be at least 5 years. 

As far as the moves, prior to draft night I had zero faith in the new F.O.. Actually, worse than that. The way Pera ran/runs the team disgusts me. He see's himself as the team dictator, where I believe he should cultivate a look of being the teams steward. I believe it is important for fans of any pro sports franchise to feel that they have a connection to the team, that the owner is looking out for them. There is a big difference in the perception of an owner who is a dictator (a term Pera himself used) and an owner who is a steward of the fans beloved team.

Anyway, I really like Avery Bradley, and I believe that most if not all Grizzlies fans liked him. The truth is that the focus of the franchise should be building the team for 2 or even 3 years from now, not today's team. We need players that are rising, not ones that have peaked or on their way down. I believe losing Bradley and Miles were good moves. I believe that gathering picks is an excellent move. The Grizzlies are more likely to get quality players from trades than from free agency. History proves that. To get good players in trades you need assets, namely draft picks and young talent. When down the road JJJ, Ja, and whoever else ends up looking like they are/will be quality core players, the Grizzlies need to be able to make a trade(s) to complete the team that will be going deep in the playoffs. Creating cap room and gathering future assets now is the best thing for the F.O. to be doing. I believe that they are righting the ship. (so far)

Great post.

I too, like you, have been sceptical and negative about these lawyers running the show, and sometimes found myself asking what are we doing here. What you've written is a good reminder of where we are at and what we need to do to get there, just hope we get there by the time Jaren and Ja's room I contracts expire.

3 hours ago, On My Grizzlie said:

I suggest you go back and research his time in Orlando, LAL and HOU. He's a distraction His playfulness is more not taking anything seriously. He's not a professional at all.

We all know that he's not our long term solution,  but if it's him or plumlee at 5 mill vs 12 mill and 12 pts 9 reb vs 4 pts 1 reb,  I'm going with the cheaper more productive player.  I know it's more to basketball and Howard is supposedly too playful but his services can be useful

26 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

We all know that he's not our long term solution,  but if it's him or plumlee at 5 mill vs 12 mill and 12 pts 9 reb vs 4 pts 1 reb,  I'm going with the cheaper more productive player.  I know it's more to basketball and Howard is supposedly too playful but his services can be useful

Memphis is rebuilding with youth, where the value of pieces is highly dependent on contributing to the right culture/environment around the team. Howard has been a negative impactor in those areas for much of his career. Playful, aloof, doesn't really work on his game (no part of his skillset has improved since he was drafted), bit of a diva...I wouldn't want him within 5 miles of Jaren and Ja.

Plumlee is a low impact player on the court, but there's no way he would be as potentially disruptive as Howard. I don't know much about Plumlee, but I've never seen a bad story about him. Someone so naturally un-talented must just be grateful to be in the NBA and probably has a decent attitude. 

Memphis also can still go out and look for another veteran piece to add to the big depth chart...Bogut, Noah, Koufos, Monroe, Zeller, Pachulia (in case you just want a goon with 6 fouls).

Production should not be the main concern. It has to be fit in terms of culture, which should emphasize hard work, winning and sacrifice. Howard just doesn't fit. In fact, he pretty much doesn't fit anywhere because he's not good enough to be a frontline player anymore, and doesn't have the skillset, IQ or attitude to be a support player. He's basically become the Melo of big men.