gfaulk09

Dwight to Memphis (sources say)

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, grizzknob said:

I can't point to anything explicit said by the FO or coach Jenkins, but reading between the lines, I honestly don't think the team wants a back up C who expects to play like 20 minutes every night.  I think they want JJJ to play a bunch of the backup C minutes, whenever JV sits and there isn't a Marjonovic-type center in there.  This would open up more time at PF for Clarke, Bruno, Crowder, and possibly Anderson.  Still have a big body off the bench if needed, but it will only be needed sometimes and in some games.

Even if Dwight might be ok in a backup role at this point, I don't see how he would possibly be ok with picking up DNP-coach's decisions half the games.  Plumlee is a much better fit for the more limited, matchup driven role I think the team envisions for that roster spot.  

Just my 2 cents.

You're probably right, obviously Howard makes us more competitive than Plumlee (if we were to use him that is). Cutting or trading Howard makes the most sense, especially if Jaren spends close to half of his time at center. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

If that be the case why cut Howard at 5M when you can cut Plumlee at 12M.  Have 7M more cap space and a better player 2.

Please explain your math.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

If that be the case why cut Howard at 5M when you can cut Plumlee at 12M.  Have 7M more cap space and a better player 2.

Since both players are on expiring contracts cutting either player will not free up any cap space. Their $19 million in salary counts toward this season's cap currently and will be off the books for next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we're well under the tax it won't matter who we waive. I think if they can't find a trade for Dwight they'll give him a shot in tc/preseason. And who we keep I bet will depend on Josh Jackson's progress and what position Clarke fits better at. Play Clarke at C and atleast one of Plumlee/Howard is for sure gone, play him more at SF and there's zero minutes for Hill all of the sudden. We'll see what happens come training camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cdp said:

If we're well under the tax it won't matter who we waive. I think if they can't find a trade for Dwight they'll give him a shot in tc/preseason. And who we keep I bet will depend on Josh Jackson's progress and what position Clarke fits better at. Play Clarke at C and atleast one of Plumlee/Howard is for sure gone, play him more at SF and there's zero minutes for Hill all of the sudden. We'll see what happens come training camp.

I doubt Hill will get minutes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howard said on HoopsHype that he will be ready for TC wherever that is. I do feel like he has been humbled. He will be fine wherever he goes.It doesnt have to be here, im just saying

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we just repeat this off season again . flip some bums for an extra year of salary and some assets . a couple more 1st lined up with our Utah/GSW picks should be a goal in any deals imho .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2019 at 5:49 PM, On My Grizzlie said:

Howard said on HoopsHype that he will be ready for TC wherever that is. I do feel like he has been humbled. He will be fine wherever he goes.It doesnt have to be here, im just saying

What happen if it was here.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2019 at 5:49 PM, On My Grizzlie said:

Howard said on HoopsHype that he will be ready for TC wherever that is. I do feel like he has been humbled. He will be fine wherever he goes.It doesnt have to be here, im just saying

Sure seems that way... I mean the guy showed up to watch a Grizzlies summer league game for gods sake.  Obviously if there is even an ounce of arrogant defiance left in him I don't want him anywhere near our young guys.  But if he truly has humbled himself and is willing to take a veteran leadership role then I think he has a lot to teach... not to mention the fact that he's still pretty productive when given minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2019 at 10:06 AM, Rdk4121 said:

You're probably right, obviously Howard makes us more competitive than Plumlee (if we were to use him that is). Cutting or trading Howard makes the most sense, especially if Jaren spends close to half of his time at center. 

3J has to learn how to stay on the floor before everyone starts wondering about what position he is going to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fanboyslim said:

You mean we traded away a player who now has to go under the knife?

Truly amazing how the new front office keeps looking so much better than the last front office. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

You mean we traded away a player who now has to go under the knife?

Truly amazing how the new front office keeps looking so much better than the last front office. 

 

Lol, it's like doing time and getting released from prison. 

 

That's how much I hated Wallace being in charge especially draft time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Teddy.B said:

 

Lol, it's like doing time and getting released from prison. 

 

That's how much I hated Wallace being in charge especially draft time. 

Lemme trade away a pick to draft a player that we'll then immediately cut.

 

Also, let me give somebody a guaranteed deal who then can't make the team.

 

Chris Wallace everybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

3J has to learn how to stay on the floor before everyone starts wondering about what position he is going to play.

Yes, he'll have to learn to do that, but I think he can. Either way, it still matters what position he plays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

You mean we traded away a player who now has to go under the knife?

Truly amazing how the new front office keeps looking so much better than the last front office. 

And we cut salary in the process

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Yes, he'll have to learn to do that, but I think he can. Either way, it still matters what position he plays. 

Agreed - I am pretty sure that he’ll get a bit more leeway with the quick whistles - rookie season is done.

As for his position - I keep reading/ hearing people talk about him playing the 5 ... but he can play the 3-5 and can guard / contest all 5 .

There’s not much room in today’s NBA for Big lumbering 5s ...they need to be able to step out and hit a three or two as well as open lanes for Ja to poke and probe into the lane.

Switch on everything coming soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Agreed - I am pretty sure that he’ll get a bit more leeway with the quick whistles - rookie season is done.

As for his position - I keep reading/ hearing people talk about him playing the 5 ... but he can play the 3-5 and can guard / contest all 5 .

There’s not much room in today’s NBA for Big lumbering 5s ...they need to be able to step out and hit a three or two as well as open lanes for Ja to poke and probe into the lane.

Switch on everything coming soon

Nikola Jokic may disagree with that assessment. Jusuf Nurcic might too. I know Marc Gasol has found a nice gig. 

Big lumbering 5s can still have a big impact but they can't expect to only be fed the ball around the hoop. They need to have three point range to keep the court open. They need to be able to pass out of double teams to hit the open man.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

3J has to learn how to stay on the floor before everyone starts wondering about what position he is going to play.

It just occurred to me.  Jaren has been appearing everywhere during the off season (Espys, NBA Draft, Summer League) and always doing interviews.  The camera loves him, the kid is very articulate, well spoken and has tons of personality.

The NBA loves to promote players that represent the league positively, and Jaren checks all the boxes.

What I'm getting at is I have A feeling Jaren is going to find that foul trouble won't plague him nearly as much as his Rookie year.

I have never hidden my dislike of the favoritism the NBA shows to some players (ie: Superstar calls), but it looks like that will actually benefit us for a change.

I still wish the NBA would call everything straight, but it is what it is I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

It just occurred to me.  Jaren has been appearing everywhere during the off season (Espys, NBA Draft, Summer League) and always doing interviews.  The camera loves him, the kid is very articulate, well spoken and has tons of personality.

The NBA loves to promote players that represent the league positively, and Jaren checks all the boxes.

What I'm getting at is I have A feeling Jaren is going to find that foul trouble won't plague him nearly as much as his Rookie year.

I have never hidden my dislike of the favoritism the NBA shows to some players (ie: Superstar calls), but it looks like that will actually benefit us for a change.

I still wish the NBA would call everything straight, but it is what it is I guess.

I just hope that amid all that activity he is still spending ample time working on his game skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

It just occurred to me.  Jaren has been appearing everywhere during the off season (Espys, NBA Draft, Summer League) and always doing interviews.  The camera loves him, the kid is very articulate, well spoken and has tons of personality.

The NBA loves to promote players that represent the league positively, and Jaren checks all the boxes.

What I'm getting at is I have A feeling Jaren is going to find that foul trouble won't plague him nearly as much as his Rookie year.

I have never hidden my dislike of the favoritism the NBA shows to some players (ie: Superstar calls), but it looks like that will actually benefit us for a change.

I still wish the NBA would call everything straight, but it is what it is I guess.

BINGO !

Had this exact conversation with some friends. 

He seems like a good kid . 

And like you pointed out - very articulate.

He has embraced his face of the franchise designation and interviewers love him. 

I can’t wait for them to throw it up ! LET’S GOOOO!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

It just occurred to me.  Jaren has been appearing everywhere during the off season (Espys, NBA Draft, Summer League) and always doing interviews.  The camera loves him, the kid is very articulate, well spoken and has tons of personality.

The NBA loves to promote players that represent the league positively, and Jaren checks all the boxes.

What I'm getting at is I have A feeling Jaren is going to find that foul trouble won't plague him nearly as much as his Rookie year.

I have never hidden my dislike of the favoritism the NBA shows to some players (ie: Superstar calls), but it looks like that will actually benefit us for a change.

I still wish the NBA would call everything straight, but it is what it is I guess.

Are you old enough to remember Darryl Dawkins?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Are you old enough to remember Darryl Dawkins?

Yes.... Chocolate Thunder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now