JWill4L

Grizzlies get Josh Jackson from Suns

For all combo guards last season, Melton was in the 96th percentile for block percentage and 100th percentile for steal percentage.

But he was in the 12th percentile for eFG%. Grit grind.

I HOPE josh Jackson can get his life  back on track , if he does this will be a GREAT pick up for Memphis . if not. there may be a 30 for 30 on espn.   on josh Jackson 

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

There's nothing wrong with it but getting her pregnant and bringing a life into this world is a different story. She sounds extremely immature herself to be in her 40s and acting like a scorned teenager/early 20 something. 

With that being said, i don't think most of his problems revolve around her. He had a domestic violence issue in the past and that wasn't her, the vandalism incident wasn't her (it was actually Memphian LeGerald Vick's ex-gf who threw a drink at Vick because she was upset he was there with his new gf. Have no idea why Jackson would fly off the handle. Maybe the drink and/or glass hit him or something) and she had nothing to do with the arrest at the music festival. She is clearly causing additional drama in his life but he seems to find himself in these situations quite a lot and that's not a good thing.

This young man has had a lot of loss in his life. His stepfather (well, the guy who was his de facto father) died in a car crash while Josh was a teenager, he also had a close cousin murdered and a hs coach who he looked at as a father figure die. All of this happened in his teens. It's not an excuse for his behavior but having that much loss in your life that early needs to be dealt with. I doubt if he has taken the steps to confront those losses. The only way he will be successful here is to handle those issues and then handle the issue with his baby mama. That's the only way he can truly focus on basketball. It sounds like he had discipline growing up but since these deaths has been kind of a loose cannon. I'm not sure how much of a supports system he has either outside of his mother. 

The city of Memphis will tighten him up.  It is not the place for stupidity 

7 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

So it would have been acceptable to have a baby with an 18 year old? Zbo was part of the jailblazers, in case you don't remember, and Brandon Roy ran him outta town saying they couldn't win with him. 

Also, he was at a music festival, not in acre's homes or something, or at a shady party in the projects. Should he have run? No, that was stupid, but was it life or death, absolutely not.

Josh isn't making good decisions, at this point, but he hasn't done anything really bad and that 41 year old woman saying he was getting high around his baby (have you met many 41 year old women?) women that old that would sleep with a 20 year old kid are probably not the best role models, either. Not to say they are all bad, but come on, that looks worse on her than it does on him.

KB, I’ll try to make it simple for you. He makes stupid decisions. I hope he stops

5 hours ago, memphis slim said:

true, but we can’t have everything. this fo is doing some amazing things, but, as we all know,  the griz have had a really hard time finding shooting guards that can actually shoot. 

i realize his position is somewhat of 2-4. 

think about it- who’s the best sg in Memphis griz hx? eddie jones? bonzi wells?

slim. 

Mike Miller?  Though IMO he was better as a SF, but the Grizzlies played him a lot at SG.

I understand why there are comparisons to ZBo, but ZBo was generally really well liked and respected by his former coaches.  He just had off the court issues, similar to Josh.  But Zach did work hard on his game, and I don't know if that is true about Josh.

ZBo was more of an underdog compared to Josh who has made horrible life and impromptu decisions..

But again, there is little financial risk to this move.  Korver was going to be waived anyway.

15 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

Maybe, maybe not (so far, the answer leans towards no). I just think sometimes the off-the-court issues are important enough where even if someone is the best player ever it makes it impossible to root for them. I'm a Cubs fan for example, and it sucked having Aroldis Chapman on the team and now having Addisson Russell on the team. Athletic ability shouldn't absolve people of the crappy things they do.

Tony Allen was just as big of a f up as Jackson was early in his career. 

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/tony-allen-arrested-could-face-up-to-five-years-in-prison.103308/

If Allen can turn it around then anyone can. This kid is a 22 year old with a lot of money and a seemingly crappy support system.

Too early in his life to just destinate him as a crappy person who will never be a responsible adult. I’m sure you didn’t do anything you regret in your early 20’s

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Tony Allen was just as big of a f up as Jackson was early in his career. 

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/tony-allen-arrested-could-face-up-to-five-years-in-prison.103308/

If Allen can turn it around then anyone can. This kid is a 22 year old with a lot of money and a seemingly crappy support system.

Too early in his life to just destinate him as a crappy person who will never be a responsible adult. I’m sure you didn’t do anything you regret in your early 20’s

It's the women and kid thing that bother me most of all. The whole "I'm sure you've made mistakes too!" thing is such a false equivalency. No, I've never been arrested, threatened women, vandalized property or smoked weed around kids in my 20s, and I'm sure 99%+ of people haven't either. Like I previously said, give him a short leash and an opportunity to change it around, but there's no reason to minimize the crap that he's already been involved in. Don't let love of sports cloud your judgment and lead you to justify or overlook the bad decisions players make; we see it all the time (Greg Hardy with the Cowboys, Kareem Hunt and Tyreke Hill with the Chiefs, etc.) and it's kind of gross that we are willing to ignore domestic abuse, violent crime and general awfulness from people just because they happen to be talented at a given sport (this last statement is about sports in general, not necessarily JJ to be clear).

4 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

It's the women and kid thing that bother me most of all. The whole "I'm sure you've made mistakes too!" thing is such a false equivalency. No, I've never been arrested, threatened women, vandalized property or smoked weed around kids in my 20s, and I'm sure 99%+ of people haven't either. Like I previously said, give him a short leash and an opportunity to change it around, but there's no reason to minimize the crap that he's already been involved in. Don't let love of sports cloud your judgment and lead you to justify or overlook the bad decisions players make; we see it all the time (Greg Hardy with the Cowboys, Kareem Hunt and Tyreke Hill with the Chiefs, etc.) and it's kind of gross that we are willing to ignore domestic abuse, violent crime and general awfulness from people just because they happen to be talented at a given sport (this last statement is about sports in general, not necessarily JJ to be clear).

Jackson hasn’t done anything to be mentioned in the same breath as Hardy, Hunt and Hill though 

1 minute ago, Allen said:

Jackson hasn’t done anything to be mentioned in the same breath as Hardy, Hunt and Hill though 

He kicked a girl's car in during college and got his baby high, he's a scumbag right now

20 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

He kicked a girl's car in during college and got his baby high, he's a scumbag right now

Kicking a car during a heated argument isn’t the same as beating up a woman. And I guarantee that woman was probably a headache. These women are ratchet .

And he “allegedly” got a baby high from second hand smoke. You guys are acting like he handed  the baby a blunt to smoke. With weed becoming legal a lot of people are about to be smoking around kids.

About everyone in the world is a scumbag with y’all standards if kicking a car and smoking weed makes you a scumbag

I'm thinking that at some point in this kids life there was a point where he had to have some kind of work ethic to get into Kansas and become a number 4 pick, I'm hoping this trade is enough to do some soul searching and realize he has one foot out of the league and the other foot is not far behind, and the outside shot that maybe the suns coaching staff and management and suns team construction had at least something to do with it, that's alot of hoping but if it somehow pays off this team could get real good sooner than later

13 minutes ago, Allen said:

Kicking a car during a heated argument isn’t the same as beating up a woman. And I guarantee that woman was probably a headache. These women are ratchet .

And he “allegedly” got a baby high from second hand smoke. You guys are acting like he handed  the baby a blunt to smoke. With weed becoming legal a lot of people are about to be smoking around kids.

About everyone in the world is a scumbag with y’all standards. 

What’s with the false equivalencies, brother? You can’t admit that the combo of things he’s done is outside the realm of acceptability for a person’s actions and that, no, almost every person in this country hasn’t done the stuff he’s done? And why are you calling these women ratchet but then giving Jackson a pass? Hmm...

Anyways, this convo is going nowhere. Hopefully Melton and the picks are worth it. Does anyone know the conditions around that second pick? Happy 4th everyone!

16 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

What’s with the false equivalencies, brother? You can’t admit that the combo of things he’s done is outside the realm of acceptability for a person’s actions and that, no, almost every person in this country hasn’t done the stuff he’s done? And why are you calling these women ratchet but then giving Jackson a pass? Hmm...

Anyways, this convo is going nowhere. Hopefully Melton and the picks are worth it. Does anyone know the conditions around that second pick? Happy 4th everyone!

Have you ever watched basketball wives? And I just don’t think getting into arguments with women and smoking weed in your early 20s is a big deal and   means that someone is a terrible person. You guys are acting like he beats women and children and has a lengthy criminal record. He kicked a car, smoked some weed and tried to sneak into a music festival. 

6 minutes ago, Allen said:

Have you ever watched basketball wives? And I just don’t think getting into arguments with women and smoking weed in your early 20s is a big deal or  means that someone is a terrible person. You guys are acting like he beats women and children and has a lengthy criminal record. He kicked a car, smoked some weed and tried to sneak into a music festival. 

I'm with you, just sounds like any other dumb kid doing what dumb kids do

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Have you ever watched basketball wives? And I just don’t think getting into arguments with women and smoking weed in your early 20s is a big deal and   means that someone is a terrible person. You guys are acting like he beats women and children and has a lengthy criminal record. He kicked a car, smoked some weed and tried to sneak into a music festival. 

Thousands of dollars damage?  Sounds like he did more than kick a car.  People's bad behavior in general will just worsen over time as long as we keep making excuses for it.

33 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

What’s the deal with Josh Jackson? What went wrong in Phoenix and if he can turn things around in Memphis

You may need to give the Cliff notes on the Athletic article since it ain't free.

Anything new in there or reasons to be optimistic (besides his talent)?

3 hours ago, Allen said:

I swear...Im willing to everyone on these boards have done atleast ONE of these things. Maybe all. Its just not publicized

23 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

You may need to give the Cliff notes on the Athletic article since it ain't free.

Anything new in there or reasons to be optimistic (besides his talent)?

nothing earth shattering. She just said he was mainly traded to make room for a Kelly Oubre offer and because there was a logjam at the wing. She mentioned that he's talented and has eye popping athleticism and has a competitive spirit that can go wrong at times. With that being said, she says he can play out of control at times, sloppy and make bad decisions. She said the game may move to fast for him. Lastly, she said he was one of her go to interviewees and he was always thoughtful, candid and respectful, which makes the bad decision making on and off the court puzzling to her. 

5 minutes ago, tjazz22 said:

I swear...Im willing to everyone on these boards have done atleast ONE of these things. Maybe all. Its just not publicized

When you really look at it, it's not like he shot anyone or did personal harm. As far as that car vandalism, people leave out the part of the girl throwing a drink his way. That's what started everything. She's a women's bball player who was LeGerald Vick's ex-gf and threw a drink at Vick because he was there with his new gf, not sure if the glass or drink hit Jackson or what. I will say when I was 19 or 20 if someone did that to me, whether male or female, it probably wouldn't have ended well because I would've lost it. Doing something like that is a sign of total disrespect. She scampered to her car and played victim as if she didn't nothing wrong when in actuality she started the whole thing because she was jealous. Sounds like the entire Kansas athletic department needs to learn how to control their emotions and take some anger management training, not just Jackson. 

As far as the music festival, sounds like a case of "do you know who i am" and the bouncer was like "nope". He was probably drunk and/or high and more than likely fled because he didn't want it coming out in the media, very stupid but not harming anyone.

As far as the weed stuff goes, let's be honest, at least 80% of the NBA smokes weed including most of the "good" guys who are clean cut and help the community and whatnot. He just has to have more common sense. Getting a woman pregnant who's twice his age. I'm going to go out on a limb and make an assumption that this isn't this woman's first rodeo with baby momma drama and/or sleeping with athletes. I'll leave it at that.

With that being said, I saw this comment on The Athletic article that i posted and it holds true:

Titans's coach famously said before, "you have to find out if the people you bring into your locker room are good people or bad people. Good people make mistakes that you can fix. you can't fix a bad person."

i think that's the question. Has he just been misguided and needs some guidance and is willing to learn or is he reckless, selfish and doesn't care about anyone else but himself. He has to understand that his choices have consequences. 

2 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

"you have to find out if the people you bring into your locker room are good people or bad people. Good people make mistakes that you can fix. you can't fix a bad person."

remember when we used to have sigs ?

that is a good one

Its crazy to think but if we hit on Ja and Josh turns it around then #TheGrizzProcess is done in 2 seasons!?!?!

We could have the Playmaking PG,  Dynamic Wing AND Unicorn Big.  Which is best mix to build around. 

Plus we already got perfect potential role players in place to develop with them. 

Bruiser -Jonas

Shooter - Marko

Versatile Defenders - Brandon and Melton

Bench Scorers - Brooks and Grayson

Stretch 4 - Bruno

Swiss Army Knife - SloMo

Hey even if Josh fails to deliver we still have tons of capspace to make a move and picks to try again.

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Its crazy to think but if we hit on Ja and Josh turns it around then #TheGrizzProcess is done in 2 seasons!?!?!

We could have the Playmaking PG,  Dynamic Wing AND Unicorn Big.  Which is best mix to build around. 

Plus we already got perfect potential role players in place to develop with them. 

Bruiser -Jonas

Shooter - Marko

Versatile Defenders - Brandon and Melton

Bench Scorers - Brooks and Grayson

Stretch 4 - Bruno

Swiss Army Knife - SloMo

Hey even if Josh fails to deliver we still have tons of capspace to make a move and picks to try again.

If Jackson does hit we still have capspace and assests. We're in a win win situation really