Sign in to follow this  
Ole Dirty Klondike

2020 Free Agency

As things stand right now, the Grizz have a boatload of cap space for the 2020 offseason. If we take a wild guess and estimate the 2020 cap to be around $110-$115 million. From what i can see (and it will be updated in a few days), the Grizz guaranteed salaries for next year are in the $40-$50 million range. the question is...what do we do with all of that cap space? Should we try to spend it on a FA? Here's a list of 2020 FA. I think some of them like Ben SImmons have already gotten extensions. Is there anyone on that list that we could realistically get that we should offer a max contract to? Is there really any reason to spend money on FA next offseason? How much better will it make this team? Would it be better to make a trade for some longer term contracts of player who could help us get better and just deal with it over the next couple of years? Should we swing for the fence and absorb a bad contract of a player ith potential?

i'm just wondering where people think we are going. I would assume no one thinks we will do much this year and this year is more to develop Ja and JJJ but what about the following year? What should we do?

I think we see more of what we have seen this year. Add picks/ bad contracts and build via trades.

I like Jaylen Brown. I’d give him a nice check. Boston will have money and match him imo

I think they should put some offer sheets out there, Jaylen Brown is the one everyone talks about but Malik Beasley seems like a good fit, there's Buddy Hield and Bogdanovic at the kings too, Caris Levert. Teams will probably match but I think it's definitely worth trying to get some young talented shooters next year. 

Besides jaylen brown there isn’t much there 😕 

honestly find it impossible to say as imho depends greatly on the rate of development of jjj and what we see from Ja in his rookie year 

Chandler Parsons will be available again!!!!

Actually, I think it will be a good test for the FO.  They will have cap space, but can they get free agents to come here?  Or will they do another year of taking on bad contracts with draft picks to push that cap space out one or two more years.

Give Buddy a truckload of money.See what happens..Hes a baller. Hes what we wanted with OJ.It would probably get matched but worth a try.Unless we are in the top 4 again.

The more I think about this, the more I have talked myself into we should go after Wiggins. I was reading a story that GS plans on trading D-Lo to Minny and Wiggins may be a part of that. We shall see but when I look at the top 30 salaries in the league, they are probably only 3 players that can realistically be pried away from their teams (well, with the assets we have)- Wiggins, Hayward and Kevin Love.

Not sure if Boston wants to trade Hayward but he could be a nice two year stop gap. He would give us someone who can score on the NBA level. He also has something to prove because as he has to show he can get back to his previous form after the injury. i think he will. Being cleared to play doesn't mean your back to yourself so it may have taken his body awhile to adjust although I could understand why people would be nervous acquiring someone coming off of a bad injury but he did play a year with no ill effects. He just has to get his timing back and shooting rhythm, etc

KLove is a no go. He wouldn't have any space on this team. I guess we could bring him off of the bench but even then, he's 30 years old with a history of injuries and has 4 years left on his contract. 

Jaylen Brown would be my top target. Give him a max offer and hope its too rich for Boston (already have Kemba and Hayward maxed, with Tatum about to be maxed). After that I'd be interested in Buddy Hield and Otto Porter. Hield near max or max if no other choice. Porter would be less than max. All of those guys are young enough to grow with Jaren and Ja. They also are shooters. That would be my main focus,

15 minutes ago, ALBZ said:

I like Jaylen Brown. I’d give him a nice check. Boston will have money and match him imo

He'd be restricted. I'm pretty sure they would match. 

Just now, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

He'd be restricted. I'm pretty sure they would match. 

I think they would, too. But I'd make them. They would have Kemba on max, Hayward on max, getting ready to max out Tatum. You better be a championship team if you are going to have four max guys.

16 minutes ago, UkGrizz said:

I think they should put some offer sheets out there, Jaylen Brown is the one everyone talks about but Malik Beasley seems like a good fit, there's Buddy Hield and Bogdanovic at the kings too, Caris Levert. Teams will probably match but I think it's definitely worth trying to get some young talented shooters next year. 

10 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

Besides jaylen brown there isn’t much there 😕 

honestly find it impossible to say as imho depends greatly on the rate of development of jjj and what we see from Ja in his rookie year 

2 minutes ago, On My Grizzlie said:

Give Buddy a truckload of money.See what happens..Hes a baller. Hes what we wanted with OJ.It would probably get matched but worth a try.Unless we are in the top 4 again.

All of those guys are restricted, not sure why their teams would let them leave. Out of those, i think Malik Beasley may be the most likely to leave because of the situation in Denver and who knows what will happen with Michael Porter, Jr. They may be overloaded with swingmen. 

1 minute ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

All of those guys are restricted, not sure why their teams would let them leave. Out of those, i think Malik Beasley may be the most likely to leave because of the situation in Denver and who knows what will happen with Michael Porter, Jr. They may be overloaded with swingmen. 

I get that it's hard to pry away restricted free agents. Still need to try. If nothing else, you keep that team from getting a discount. Thus hindering them from competing against other free agents. Also, Kyle Anderson was restricted. Spurs loved him. We still pried him away. It requires an overpay, but it can be done. 

A lot of it will depend on whether we're keeping our top 6 protected draft pick or not.

For instance if we're in a position to draft an Anthony Edwards, RJ Hampton or Josh Green (assuming they have great seasons) then we may want to just add one of them to our young core.

Btw yall should check out those 3 wings' mix tapes on Tankathon. They each look like the real deal to my untrained eyes.

If we convey then yeah i'm down for making the Bostons and Denvers of the world match us for their young wings.

1 minute ago, CoolHandGriz said:

A lot of it will depend on whether we're keeping out top 6 protected draft pick or not.

For instance if we're in a position to draft an Anthony Edwards, RJ Hampton or Josh Green (assuming they have great seasons) then we may want to just add one of them to our young core.

Btw yall should check out those 3 wings' mix tapes on Tankathon. They each look like the real deal to my untrained eyes.

If we convey then yeah i'm down for making the Bostons and Denvers of the world match us for their young wings.

Don’t convey and steal talent...double whammy

2 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

I get that it's hard to pry away restricted free agents. Still need to try. If nothing else, you keep that team from getting a discount. Thus hindering them from competing against other free agents. Also, Kyle Anderson was restricted. Spurs loved him. We still pried him away. It requires an overpay, but it can be done. 

Sure, I agree with all of that but these are known quantities so it's not like we would be the only ones giving them offer sheets. I think other teams would as well so we would not only compete against their current teams but some other team that may come in and overpay as well. 

25 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

The more I think about this, the more I have talked myself into we should go after Wiggins. I was reading a story that GS plans on trading D-Lo to Minny and Wiggins may be a part of that. We shall see but when I look at the top 30 salaries in the league, they are probably only 3 players that can realistically be pried away from their teams (well, with the assets we have)- Wiggins, Hayward and Kevin Love.

Not sure if Boston wants to trade Hayward but he could be a nice two year stop gap. He would give us someone who can score on the NBA level. He also has something to prove because as he has to show he can get back to his previous form after the injury. i think he will. Being cleared to play doesn't mean your back to yourself so it may have taken his body awhile to adjust although I could understand why people would be nervous acquiring someone coming off of a bad injury but he did play a year with no ill effects. He just has to get his timing back and shooting rhythm, etc

KLove is a no go. He wouldn't have any space on this team. I guess we could bring him off of the bench but even then, he's 30 years old with a history of injuries and has 4 years left on his contract. 

Yea i can't see GSW being willing to take on Wiggins.   They are already hard capped and will need to max Draymond next season.    We def now have the expiring assets to make it work.  I am sure Minny would rather take a flier on Iggy/Hill than have to buyout Parsons. 

Only question would be what type of assets would Minny have left over to give us in a 3team deal.  I am sure GSW would get the premium assets from them for DLo. 

Can we get hayward and our pick back with all these expiring ? Maybe just change protections?

Dream scenario would be Josh Jackson magically turns into our SF of the future, we keep our top 6 pick this year and draft another core guy, then go out and sign one of Sabonis, LeVert, Brown or Beasley. I'd be over the moon.

2 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Can we get hayward and our pick back with all these expiring ? Maybe just change protections?

I could care less about our pick at this point.   We have a ton of talented young guys that are worth evaluating and developing:

Ja, Jaren, Dillon, Melton, Brandon, Josh, Grayson and Marko.    NOT to mention all the shiny new picks we have acquired.  

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I could care less about our pick at this point.   We have a ton of talented young guys that are worth evaluating and developing:

Ja, Jaren, Dillon, Melton, Brandon, Josh, Grayson and Marko.    NOT to mention all the shiny new picks we have acquired.  

Yeah im not worried about it but it would be the perfect cap off to an awesome FA period or deadline move. 

5 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

We can't really put any of our expirings together due to the nature of how the trades when down so It would be complicated to pull off a Wiggins deal. Plus I think Josh Jackson is similar to Wiggins.

Just now, Ndq0327 said:

We can't really put any of our expirings together due to the nature of how the trades when down so It would be complicated to pull off a Wiggins deal. Plus I think Josh Jackson is similar to Wiggins.

Josh Jackson is the Evil Higher motor Wiggins except he is 20x cheaper.  No reason to add Wiggins or anyone else(Oubre) at this point.    Our young coach has his work cut out as is.  

4 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Josh Jackson is the Evil Higher motor Wiggins except he is 20x cheaper.  No reason to add Wiggins or anyone else(Oubre) at this point.    Our young coach has his work cut out as is.  

6 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Yeah we have Jackson as our swing for the fences experiment. We'll see how it works out. I'm a little skeptical. Hopefully he can focus on the court and be productive. I would pencil him in as our starting SG right now. The job is his to lose. Although, he was a small ball 4 in college. I'm fine with Crowder at the 3

5 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I think we could .hill was just traded for ....not easy but i guess they are not final yet are they? We also just traded for Korver. 

I guess they could have been 2 trades with the hawks and 2 with phx but I'm not looking up how that would work at this point lol.