JWill4L

Grizzlies sign Marko Guduric

47 minutes ago, Ace-is-high said:

Seriously?  Your kinda making my point but avoiding the entire narrative ... I'll just give you the written out in crayon version.. talent isn't enough, you need drive, that's the jist of it

You implied that Manu was less talented because  he was drafted later and only made it because of work ethic 

3 hours ago, Allen said:

You implied that Manu was less talented because  he was drafted later and only made it because of work ethic 

Nah let me back track to the guy I was responding to, I made a post that was trying to say some European players can rise to the big stage and some cant.. I used Manu as an example of a successful player and Casey J. As the player who couldn't make the transition..  another poster suggested that that was a bad example because (I'm paraphrasing here) Manu was some kind of proven or exceptional talent, and Jacobsen was 'just a guy', I was merely pointing out that Manu was not a proven talent because he was drafted late in the second round, and for the most part Manu was 'just a guy' as well

4 hours ago, Ace-is-high said:

Nah let me back track to the guy I was responding to, I made a post that was trying to say some European players can rise to the big stage and some cant.. I used Manu as an example of a successful player and Casey J. As the player who couldn't make the transition..  another poster suggested that that was a bad example because (I'm paraphrasing here) Manu was some kind of proven or exceptional talent, and Jacobsen was 'just a guy', I was merely pointing out that Manu was not a proven talent because he was drafted late in the second round, and for the most part Manu was 'just a guy' as well

I think you're talking about different points in time and are both correct. When Manu was drafted in 1999 he was far from being proven as he had only played one year in Italy and he was already 22. But when he jumped over to the NBA in 2002 he was a two time Italian league MVP and a Euroleague champion and MVP (twice finalist and top scorer). At that point his talent was more than proven and people were already praising the Spurs for being able to steal that kind of guy in the draft.

So yeah, at the time of the draft both Manu and Jacobsen were "some guy" but when they went to the NBA they were, respectively, a guy who had won it all in Europe and some guy who couldn't cut it in the ACB and ended playing in the backwater German league for 5 years before someone thought of him in Memphis.

The subject of why some international players make it in the NBA and some don't is complex and worth its own thread. 

Being drafted in the 2nd round does not not mean a player isn't talented.  Jokic was drafted in the 2nd.  Is he not talented?  I think it just means that NBA scouting failed.  International Players don't get as much exposure here.

On 8/5/2019 at 6:32 AM, smit-tay griz said:

Being drafted in the 2nd round does not not mean a player isn't talented.  Jokic was drafted in the 2nd.  Is he not talented?  I think it just means that NBA scouting failed.  International Players don't get as much exposure here.

I just hope that our scouts are right about this dude and he can jack a ton of 3s for us. I really want this to work out