Ja_Rules

Grizzlies x Pelicans, do we finally have a rival?

Which one is/will be better...  

20 members have voted

1. 1. duo and cornerstone?

• Jaren and Ja
    • Zion and Ball
  2. 2. team/rebuild?

• Grizzlies
    • Pelicans
  3. 3. FA signing?

• JV
    • Reddick

Seems that their rebuild and ours will clash, we may have found our Division and Conference rival for the next decade or so, both teams seems that will have the same window. 

Just now, Grizzled Vet said:

You could add David Griffin vs. Zack & Jason's braintrust.

Yeah, the poll here has a limit of three questions. I assume that was someway into the 2 question. 

PS.: Both teams also add a Euro prospect from Fenerbahce

I was thinking special abut the Jaren x Zion thing. Jaren must add some core muscle/strenght, because Zion will move him around easily if he dont. I like that Jaren is way longer than him, so he might "Tacko Fall" him a bit. Also if he becomes a volume 3pt shooter keeping the % we might get Zion out of the paint and from his blockig ability, unless he will be trying to handle JV.

This will be great to watch but a difficult task to face, Jaren must improve a lot year after year, because Zion seems will have a amazing career.

We will be better down the road. They right now are a little better than us. 

Yea it will be a rivalry of the small markets it should be fun to watch it grow.

24 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Yea it will be a rivalry of the small markets it should be fun to watch it grow.

I found strange ppl are underestimating the duo of Zion and Ball and the signing of JJ Reddick.  The guy will fit great next to Ball and having a rotation of JJ/Ball/Hart/Holiday will be up there as one the best, special if Hart and Ball shoot the 3pt well. 

5 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

We will be better down the road. They right now are a little better than us. 

Why?  We finished the season with the same record.  You think they made more improvements than we did?

11 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Why?  We finished the season with the same record.  You think they made more improvements than we did?

I do, I believe they are a little better than us right now.

I will always hate the Clippers and Thunder come playoff time.

I want to win a division title so everyone in our division is a rival also. The Pelicans have to knock off the Rockets and Spurs to take top spot in our division but they are looking likely to be around for a while, unless someone decides New Orleans isn't where they want to be anymore.  

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I think the records are misleading; Pelicans were actually within striking distance of .500 before the Davis drama happened and they started openly tanking, whereas we were actively trying to win games (query how successful we were with injuries making that difficult).

Also think they made more improvements for the upcoming season. We are going to be heavily reliant on a first year point guard while they have Jrue Holiday running the show. Favors and Reddick are also good veterans that will make winning easier for them. Could see Pelicans battling for a playoff spot while we're in the 12-14th range in our conference.

13 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

I think the records are misleading; Pelicans were actually within striking distance of .500 before the Davis drama happened and they started openly tanking, whereas we were actively trying to win games (query how successful we were with injuries making that difficult).

Also think they made more improvements for the upcoming season. We are going to be heavily reliant on a first year point guard while they have Jrue Holiday running the show. Favors and Reddick are also good veterans that will make winning easier for them. Could see Pelicans battling for a playoff spot while we're in the 12-14th range in our conference.

Maybe, but they lost four of their top five scorers last season, two of them 20ppg guys, and replaced them with Favors and Reddick, neither of whom score as well, and Ingram who may have health issues.  Sure, they added Williamson, but I'm not sure that will be enough to fight for playoffs.  I guess we will see when the season gets here.

You forgot about Dallas.  It's basically just Luka and KP but they are an "it" team now too.

So, the triple threat death match between Memphis, New Orleans, and Dallas should be super fun to watch over the next several years.  

Grizz/Pelicans BETTER be on TNT or ESPN this season.

Grizz/Mavs would be a good one too, although it looks more like an NBA TV game.

Our division has some of the most marketable young players in the NBA: Zion, Luka, Ja, Jaren, and probably Lonzo Ball, too, as well as perennial MVP candidate James Harden.  

Grizz/Mavs individual match up at point guard Ja vs. Luka and inside with Jaren/JV vs. KP/whoever might actually be more intriguing.  ... I think Jaren, Clarke, Jonas, and our other guys can contain the Pelicans' bigs (Zion, Jaxson Hayes, and Jahlil Okafor).  

9 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Maybe, but they lost four of their top five scorers last season, two of them 20ppg guys, and replaced them with Favors and Reddick, neither of whom score as well, and Ingram who may have health issues.  Sure, they added Williamson, but I'm not sure that will be enough to fight for playoffs.  I guess we will see when the season gets here.

Losing Randle obviously hurts, but Davis wasn't really playing the back half of the season; he was either a DNP/Inactive, or half-heartedly playing less than half the game (here's his game log: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisan02/gamelog/2019). Who are the other 2 guys you're referring to in terms of top scorers? Mirotic only played 32 games for them and I don't really see Elfrid Payton or E'Twuan Moore as consequential players when analyzing this. Replacing Randle and a half-assed Davis with Williamson, Ingram, Ball, Reddick and Favors seems like an improvement to me (they also added Hayes and Alexander-Walker in the draft).

Also, if we're looking at purely "losing top scorers", the Grizzlies lost 3 of their top 4 scorers (Conley, Gasol, Bradley - who I assume won't be back).

The Grizzlies have had a solid offseason, but IMO the Pelicans have set themselves up to have a more successful season in 2019-2020. Vegas (while not the end-all, be-all) also seems to agree here, as everywhere has Pelicans as better odds to win more games.

3 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

Losing Randle obviously hurts, but Davis wasn't really playing the back half of the season; he was either a DNP/Inactive, or half-heartedly playing less than half the game (here's his game log: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisan02/gamelog/2019). Who are the other 2 guys you're referring to in terms of top scorers? Mirotic only played 32 games for them and I don't really see Elfrid Payton or E'Twuan Moore as consequential players when analyzing this. Replacing Randle and a half-assed Davis with Williamson, Ingram, Ball, Reddick and Favors seems like an improvement to me (they also added Hayes and Alexander-Walker in the draft).

Also, if we're looking at purely "losing top scorers", the Grizzlies lost 3 of their top 4 scorers (Conley, Gasol, Bradley - who I assume won't be back).

The Grizzlies have had a solid offseason, but IMO the Pelicans have set themselves up to have a more successful season in 2019-2020. Vegas (while not the end-all, be-all) also seems to agree here, as everywhere has Pelicans as better odds to win more games.

Can't wait to see the games. I'm hoping we have an edge on them defensively.

6 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

You forgot about Dallas.  It's basically just Luka and KP but they are an "it" team now too.

So, the triple threat death match between Memphis, New Orleans, and Dallas should be super fun to watch over the next several years.  

Our division has some of the most marketable young players in the NBA: Zion, Luka, Ja, Jaren, and probably Lonzo Ball, too, as well as perennial MVP candidate James Harden.  

Grizz/Mavs individual match up at point guard Ja vs. Luka and inside with Jaren/JV vs. KP/whoever might actually be more intriguing.  ... I think Jaren, Clarke, Jonas, and our other guys can contain the Pelicans' bigs (Zion, Jaxson Hayes, and Jahlil Okafor).  

You've been listening to LaVar too much.

8 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I will always hate the Clippers and Thunder come playoff time.

I want to win a division title so everyone in our division is a rival also. The Pelicans have to knock off the Rockets and Spurs to take top spot in our division but they are looking likely to be around for a while, unless someone decides New Orleans isn't where they want to be anymore.  

Yeah, we have multiple teams that we hate, what Im saying is that Pelicans young core and ours will have their prime, just about the same time.

6 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Mavs and the Kings could also be great rivals. We dont have a wing to face Doncic, I hope we get Jaylen Brown to be that guy. But Fox/Bagley x Ja/Jaren will be a joy to watch, I just choose Pels over them, because their FO always give some terrible contract to FAs and Pels is from our division. 

33 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

Yeah, we have multiple teams that we hate, what Im saying is that Pelicans young core and ours will have their prime, just about the same time.

Mavs and the Kings could also be great rivals. We dont have a wing to face Doncic, I hope we get Jaylen Brown to be that guy. But Fox/Bagley x Ja/Jaren will be a joy to watch, I just choose Pels over them, because their FO always give some terrible contract to FAs and Pels is from our division. 

Defensively?  Just put Anderson on him.  He held him 6 points below his average.

36 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Defensively?  Just put Anderson on him.  He held him 6 points below his average.

I remember he did great against him, even had a steal with a fast break dunk; SlowMo is my starter right now. Im talking about someone that produces on both ends.

1 minute ago, Ja_Rules said:

I remember he did great against him, even had a steal with a fast break dunk; SlowMo is my starter right now. Im talking about someone that produces on both ends.

Most teams don't have two-way (off./def.) players at every position.  That's why we have role players.

Just now, smit-tay griz said:

Most teams don't have two-way (off./def.) players at every position.  That's why we have role players.

But every great team has a star or superstar on the wing. Thats why I want Jaylen Brown.

1 minute ago, Ja_Rules said:

But every great team has a star or superstar on the wing. Thats why I want Jaylen Brown.

Okay, good luck.  He isn't the only wing in the league, and there's more coming every year.  You shouldn't get hung up on one guy.

10 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Okay, good luck.  He isn't the only wing in the league, and there's more coming every year.  You shouldn't get hung up on one guy.

Good luck for us, he would be great here. But of course there are other guys, maybe if we dont convey we get a top pick and draft a wing next year. 

Maybe we got our final piece for our own big 3

It will be J, JJ and JJJ 😅

The J squad.

Josh has major potential and I cant believe Phoenix gave up picks for him, I hope he has a Zbo trajectory other than a Oj one.