Jonboy

Grizz Acquire Iguodala, 1st Round Pick from GS

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, grizz1016 said:

He has been the model of consistency over the past month. This is his 2nd full season, he just turned 24 and keeps improving at a rapid pace. If we replace him, we better get a stud cuz anything below a stud is comparable to Dillon who’s most likely younger than most non studs at SF. What stud do you have in mind?

I’m not looking to let Dillon go if the price is fair value for his skills around 12 mil. He would be great on our bench if we are able to secure better wings 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, QMemphis said:

I’m not looking to let Dillon go if the price is fair value for his skills around 12 mil. He would be great on our bench if we are able to secure better wings 

What’s a better wing? IMO Dillon is a starter level player already and he keeps getting better. A better wing that Dillon would be a stud. A Fournier type ain’t gonna cut it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Same here bud.  He is another guy that woulda been good fit with GnG but i aint dying on his hill.    Much rather invest in Dillon a younger player that already has chemistry with our main guys. 

Have to disagree. IT was truth last cpl of years but this year he is much more consistent.  Could be a great move for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Letting Dillon go would be a no-brainer. I was not a huge fan of his consistency the first few months of the season, but the guy is progressing like hell! He’s becoming a consistent scorer, plays D, young and has good chemistry with our core (where he’s earning a place).

In the Miami, Iggy and always (emphasis on always) injured Winslow front, those are the options that I think make sense for us:

Iguodala, Guduric and Caboclo FOR Winslow and Leonard

Iguodala, Guduric and Caboclo FOR Winslow, Olynyk and picks

Iguodala and Kyle FOR Winslow and Olynyk or even Johnson

Otherwise I’d keep looking for trade partners or just stay put and let Iggy expire. A healthy Winslow would fit like a globe, but don’t think the Heat would be thinking about trading him if it wasn’t for his health and we already know too much about injury prone wings... Plus he has some money left on his contract and our focus should be financial situation and future assests (Miami doesn’t have a lot of 1sts availability), not decent role players with contracts guaranteed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, I❤️JV said:

The Grizzlies still reportedly have no intention of buying out Andre Iguodala: ‘We will trade him, period’

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2020/1/25/21081555/lakers-rumors-andre-iguodala-grizzlies-buyout-buy-out-memphis-free-agency-clippers-first-take-video

To me we already have a trade in place and are just waiting to see if something better will come along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

To me we already have a trade in place and are just waiting to see if something better will come along.

To me they are just bluffing the buyout watchers. They have some things maybe on the table but they are really salary dumps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, QMemphis said:

Dillion is a straight line driver, his handles are weak for a two guard. He is a good scorer but if we want to compete for a championship moving forward we have to be realistic about players deficiencies. 

I asked you how his handles are weak.  You didn't answer that question.  If his handles were weak he would be constantly losing the ball.  That is not the case.  His handles are fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

I asked you how his handles are weak.  You didn't answer that question.  If his handles were weak he would be constantly losing the ball.  That is not the case.  His handles are fine.

He definetely needs work on his handles to be a better scorer. He doesnt change direction or pace at all. Body contact slows him down quite a bit. His gather from the ground into his shot isnt that fast.

Kawhi Leonards handles in 2014 were "fine" and he wasnt "constantly losing the ball." To become the monster that he is today, he has clearly tightened his handles and he now has the ball on a string like never before. So they can be decent and still use improvement at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dwash said:

He definetely needs work on his handles to be a better scorer. He doesnt change direction or pace at all. Body contact slows him down quite a bit. His gather from the ground into his shot isnt that fast.

Kawhi Leonards handles in 2014 were "fine" and he wasnt "constantly losing the ball." To become the monster that he is today, he has clearly tightened his handles and he now has the ball on a string like never before. So they can be decent and still use improvement at the same time.

Thank you couldn’t have said it better 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, grizz1016 said:

What’s a better wing? IMO Dillon is a starter level player already and he keeps getting better. A better wing that Dillon would be a stud. A Fournier type ain’t gonna cut it.

Dillion lacks the playmaking to be a starting two guard. He may be able to guard SF but would prefer a longer more athletic defender. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

I asked you how his handles are weak.  You didn't answer that question.  If his handles were weak he would be constantly losing the ball.  That is not the case.  His handles are fine.

Have you asked yourself why they have Melton finishing games at the 2 spot. He has better handles and better playmaker for others. Dillion is naturally a 3 but not athletic enough to slowdown elite level 3s in the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started the year pretty much thinking DB was just some dude we would eventually trade or let walk. There are aspects of his game that are not necessarily what I would like to see in a starting SG.

HOWEVER, we haven't had a SG as good as him since Eddie Jones/Mike Miller. At this point, not matching whatever he gets (barring something insane) would be a mistake. 

If he is going to be long term starting SG though he does have to work on his handles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, QMemphis said:

Dillion lacks the playmaking to be a starting two guard. He may be able to guard SF but would prefer a longer more athletic defender. 

But he guards 2 guards and does it pretty well. Can you give an example of a 2 guard (that’s not a stud) that would be a starter over Dillon? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dwash said:

He definetely needs work on his handles to be a better scorer. He doesnt change direction or pace at all. Body contact slows him down quite a bit. His gather from the ground into his shot isnt that fast.

Kawhi Leonards handles in 2014 were "fine" and he wasnt "constantly losing the ball." To become the monster that he is today, he has clearly tightened his handles and he now has the ball on a string like never before. So they can be decent and still use improvement at the same time.

Every player needs to constantly work on improving their skills.  I won't dispute that.  The statement was that his handles were weak.  I don't see the evidence for that.  As for body contact, I don't think any amount of work is going to turn Dillon into a blazingly fast guard with a quick first step to get by his opponent, but he should work to get better.  He uses his strength to get the best of his opponents by bullying his way into the paint.  It is one of his attributes.

Kawhi Leonard is arguably the best two-way player in the game today.  It would be good for Dillon to aspire to that, but being unable to reach that lofty level is not a fault in any way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, QMemphis said:

Have you asked yourself why they have Melton finishing games at the 2 spot. He has better handles and better playmaker for others. Dillion is naturally a 3 but not athletic enough to slowdown elite level 3s in the league. 

It isn't primarily for his offense.  Melton turns the ball over at a much higher rate than Dillon.  Melton does have a knack for getting his hands on the ball though.  You might notice that they've also had Melton on the floor with Dillon, not instead of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

I started the year pretty much thinking DB was just some dude we would eventually trade or let walk. There are aspects of his game that are not necessarily what I would like to see in a starting SG.

HOWEVER, we haven't had a SG as good as him since Eddie Jones/Mike Miller. At this point, not matching whatever he gets (barring something insane) would be a mistake. 

If he is going to be long term starting SG though he does have to work on his handles

Again with the handles.  Is he constantly getting his pocket picked?  Is he always getting the ball knocked away?  Is he always losing control of his dribble?  This is starting to sound like one of those oft repeated myths on the boards for which there is o supporting evidence.  I will agree that he doesn't have Ja's extraordinary handles, and maybe his dribbling doesn't look flashy and smooth, but fundamentally it is not bad and has been effective for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, grizz1016 said:

But he guards 2 guards and does it pretty well. Can you give an example of a 2 guard (that’s not a stud) that would be a starter over Dillon? 

My realistic wishlist is LaVine via trade or Fournier as free agent acquisition. Both provide better playmaking and average defense for their position. I would like to keep Dillion at a reasonable price. He can ofcourse continue to develop his game and become the long term starter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Again with the handles.  Is he constantly getting his pocket picked?  Is he always getting the ball knocked away?  Is he always losing control of his dribble?  This is starting to sound like one of those oft repeated myths on the boards for which there is o supporting evidence.  I will agree that he doesn't have Ja's extraordinary handles, and maybe his dribbling doesn't look flashy and smooth, but fundamentally it is not bad and has been effective for him.

He can not create for others he is a straight line driver lol hell Jaren is that. Watch the game today, I mean really watch it and you can see the difference having a two guard with handles can do for the offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

It isn't primarily for his offense.  Melton turns the ball over at a much higher rate than Dillon.  Melton does have a knack for getting his hands on the ball though.  You might notice that they've also had Melton on the floor with Dillon, not instead of.

True they have a Dillon is our best perimeter scorer so he should finish games. But Melton has more turnovers because he handles the ball more. He also has more assist and can create  for others. Mr. Do something and Mr. Put some up are both needed just on the bench long term. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, QMemphis said:

He can not create for others he is a straight line driver lol hell Jaren is that. Watch the game today, I mean really watch it and you can see the difference having a two guard with handles can do for the offense. 

Creating for others is not handles.  Having great handles might aid in creation for others, just like being extraordinarily tall and able to see over defenses, but neither of those things are an ability to create for others by themselves.  Creating for others is having a feel for the game and the ability to assess what is happening, anticipating, and making good, savvy decisions.  BBIQ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, QMemphis said:

True they have a Dillon is our best perimeter scorer so he should finish games. But Melton has more turnovers because he handles the ball more. He also has more assist and can create  for others. Mr. Do something and Mr. Put some up are both needed just on the bench long term. 

I like both players and think they are both worth keeping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Every player needs to constantly work on improving their skills.  I won't dispute that.  The statement was that his handles were weak.  I don't see the evidence for that.  As for body contact, I don't think any amount of work is going to turn Dillon into a blazingly fast guard with a quick first step to get by his opponent, but he should work to get better.  He uses his strength to get the best of his opponents by bullying his way into the paint.  It is one of his attributes.

Kawhi Leonard is arguably the best two-way player in the game today.  It would be good for Dillon to aspire to that, but being unable to reach that lofty level is not a fault in any way.

Context matters. If Im comparing Dillon to a role player like Grayson Allen or Jae Crowder then his handles are ok. If Im comparing him to a big 3 scorer that he desires himself to be. A guy worthy of getting 15-20 touches on a high level NBA team, then I would say his handles are weak.

No Im not expecting Kawhi.  So on a smaller scale I will use Deanthony Melton. Is Melton "constantly losing the ball" as you said? No. That doesnt make his handles fine for a lead guard coming off the bench, which is what he is being groomed as. His ability to make plays the dribble is below average for a playmaker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Context matters. If Im comparing Dillon to a role player like Grayson Allen or Jae Crowder then his handles are ok. If Im comparing him to a big 3 scorer that he desires himself to be. A guy worthy of getting 15-20 touches on a high level NBA team, then I would say his handles are weak.

No Im not expecting Kawhi.  So on a smaller scale I will use Deanthony Melton. Is Melton "constantly losing the ball" as you said? No. That doesnt make his handles fine for a lead guard coming off the bench, which is what he is being groomed as. His ability to make plays the dribble is below average for a playmaker.

Okay.  I'll buy that.  I do think that Dillon's ego is a bit greater than his ability, but I can live with it as long as he contributes to winning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, QMemphis said:

My realistic wishlist is LaVine via trade or Fournier as free agent acquisition. Both provide better playmaking and average defense for their position. I would like to keep Dillion at a reasonable price. He can ofcourse continue to develop his game and become the long term starter. 

LaVine is a stud and if we can get him, then awesome. Fournier and Dillon already has very similar stats per 36 mins and Fournier is older. Dillon IMO will outdo Fournier by the time he’s 27. Dillon is a starter level player in the NBA. What we need is a stud SF or a very productive SF. Dillon is not a bench player and any NBA team will probably pay and play him as a starter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, grizz1016 said:

LaVine is a stud and if we can get him, then awesome. Fournier and Dillon already has very similar stats per 36 mins and Fournier is older. Dillon IMO will outdo Fournier by the time he’s 27. Dillon is a starter level player in the NBA. What we need is a stud SF or a very productive SF. Dillon is not a bench player and any NBA team will probably pay and play him as a starter.

we are not getting Lavine

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now