Jonboy

Grizz Acquire Iguodala, 1st Round Pick from GS

3 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Nice breakdown.

That's about the only thing that will keep him in the league - it's weird, his form and release look good too, but he just can't knock them down at a preferable rate yet.

Last season Grayson played a lot of G league ball and when he got called up near the end of the season he was hitting at a fairly nice clip. Perhaps the Grizzlies should send him back down to the G League and let him get some practice playing significant minutes in a real game situation to work out his issues. 

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Last season Grayson played a lot of G league ball and when he got called up near the end of the season he was hitting at a fairly nice clip. Perhaps the Grizzlies should send him back down to the G League and let him get some practice playing significant minutes in a real game situation to work out his issues. 

They could trade out with Josh.

But with the way this season is headed, no reason to not let him just work it out in the NBA (if he can work it out).

20 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I have specifics. Everything you would expect based on all the stories you have heard about him and how he lives.

As for Grayson, nah, he isnt a knockdown shooter, slow first step, straight line dribbler only, constantly has to pick up his dribble when cut off, no creative finishes in traffic or when contested, average strength. His hops only show up when he is by himself around the rim. How often will that happen? Nothing there but a decent role player at best. 

hmmm, that's disappointing to hear bout josh.  and agree to disagree about some of the points you made about grayson.

8 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

They could trade out with Josh.

But with the way this season is headed, no reason to not let him just work it out in the NBA (if he can work it out).

Weren't you just discussing the Jackson issue with me on a different thread? Are you his agent trying to force people to talk about an issue that no one cares about really? 

As I said in the thread you started to talk about Jackson, the Front Office have a plan. They are trying to establish a reputation for being men to be respected. If they suddenly cave into media and fan pressure and change away from their plan that makes them look weak, doesn't make Jackson feel they are serious (so he can go back to his drug using, misbehaving ways knowing his talent is more important than his actions) and reduces the view of their decision making around the league. 

Having said that, I do believe MArco or Grayson (possibly both) should be in the G League working on improving their games. It's not a rush to move them but I believe it would help them both. 

7 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Weren't you just discussing the Jackson issue with me on a different thread? Are you his agent trying to force people to talk about an issue that no one cares about really? 

As I said in the thread you started to talk about Jackson, the Front Office have a plan. They are trying to establish a reputation for being men to be respected. If they suddenly cave into media and fan pressure and change away from their plan that makes them look weak, doesn't make Jackson feel they are serious (so he can go back to his drug using, misbehaving ways knowing his talent is more important than his actions) and reduces the view of their decision making around the league. 

Having said that, I do believe MArco or Grayson (possibly both) should be in the G League working on improving their games. It's not a rush to move them but I believe it would help them both. 

Makes sense, just hope their timetable wasn't too long. Fine line between motivation and animosity.

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

I was putting Trent and Little in place of Hejonza and like I just said, even four for two, Hill and Jackson can be cut before hand. Who cares about them? So yeah, its still a silly concern for a 20 win team. 20 win teams usually have two or three players to be cut easily.

That I definitely agree with. But does the team just want to eat those salaries?

It looks like the Mavs are gonna have picks at 25 and 31.  I really, really, really want those picks.  We could round out our rotation with those picks, and this draft looks fairly deep -- not fairly good but fairly DEEP.

So even if we convey our pick we can package 25/31 on draft night to move up in order to chase a "lottery guy" who falls.

Package Iggy with Tyus or Grayson or Marko and maybe even send over the Suns' 2nd rounder to get the deal done.

25/31/Top 4 Or Convey sounds like a good Draft Strategy.

2021 looks like a good draft, especially at the top.  And, even if we improve big time but still miss out on the playoffs, a top 4 pick in 2021 would still be in play (assuming we convey our 2020 pick).  2021 could ALSO offer depth if the 1-And-Dones who are mildly or majorly disappointing go to school, then if they are rumored to getting rid of the 1 and Done Rule for 2022 that could also make 2021 deep (more guys declaring for the draft).  

5 hours ago, Grizz&Grind said:

I don't think half this roster is in the long term plans (maybe more than that), however given that this year is an absolute wash I see no reason not to at least give these guys at least 40+ games to see if they can settle into an NBA rotation.

I have my doubts on Grayson and Marko, but some folks want to give up on players in game 1 yet want to give other players 3 years to develop, etc. Seems odd to me to have that stance, but whatever.

I hear about some posters, fans, coaches, media, etc treating players different.

Not sure if this was directed specifically towards me or not, but just as a general comment about both guys - they are both shooters who have not had much success with shooting so I do not see much reason to give them another season to confirm what seems fairly evident. 

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

I have specifics. Everything you would expect based on all the stories you have heard about him and how he lives.

As for Grayson, nah, he isnt a knockdown shooter, slow first step, straight line dribbler only, constantly has to pick up his dribble when cut off, no creative finishes in traffic or when contested, average strength. His hops only show up when he is by himself around the rim. How often will that happen? Nothing there but a decent role player at best. 

Great report! You forgot to mention that he can't stay in front of any other NBA player.

2 hours ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Just a cursory Google search - he may like weed, he's a bad driver, he likes music festivals, and would prefer not to be arrested.

Anything else.

Certainly one of those things sprinkled in there.

Everytime I see this thread pop up, I get happy because I think we have traded this bum. 

I can't wait for 12/15 to get here. I think his chances to be traded will increase a lot after then. I hope he's not on the team by the end of this month, well, I hope his contract is not with the Grizz by the end if the month. He's never been with the team.

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Everytime I see this thread pop up, I get happy because I think we have traded this bum. 

I can't wait for 12/15 to get here. I think his chances to be traded will increase a lot after then. I hope he's not on the team by the end of this month, well, I hope his contract is not with the Grizz by the end if the month. He's never been with the team.

Co-sign.

3 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Once hes gone I might cry. Tears of joy. So I can BOO him anytime he comes to Memphis 

Well, unfortunate news/good news for us, Rodney Hood (was starting at SF for Portland), just tore his Achilles. They need a starting SF, and I can think of one that is available.

If Portland really wants to go "all in," we could do Iggy and JV for Nurkic and Bazemore plus a first. That'll give JV a realistic shot at a championship, and they could really use his scoring down low. Nurkic is way better defensively than JV, which is what we need. 

If they want to keep Nurkic, just Bazemore and a first. If they want to keep Bazemore, Nurkic and Hood for Iggy. That one might not make sense on the surface, but we aren't trying to win this year, but can get both of back them next year (I'd assume Hood would actually just opt in to his contract coming off that injury). 

There's a lot of different options to be fair. I'd honestly love to add Bazemore, it would give us another good veteran voice for this team (and an obvious upgrade over Marko or Grayson). They'd have to include at least that protected first as the Mavs still are likely to get involved. 

8 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

If Portland really wants to go "all in," we could do Iggy and JV for Nurkic and Bazemore plus a first. That'll give JV a realistic shot at a championship, and they could really use his scoring down low. Nurkic is way better defensively than JV, which is what we need. 

If they want to keep Nurkic, just Bazemore and a first. If they want to keep Bazemore, Nurkic and Hood for Iggy. That one might not make sense on the surface, but we aren't trying to win this year, but can get both of back them next year (I'd assume Hood would actually just opt in to his contract coming off that injury). 

There's a lot of different options to be fair. I'd honestly love to add Bazemore, it would give us another good veteran voice for this team (and an obvious upgrade over Marko or Grayson). They'd have to include at least that protected first as the Mavs still are likely to get involved. 

What happened to Whiteside?

7 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

What happened to Whiteside?

Nothing, he's not really a "scorer" though he's played very well this year. JV would essentially replace what Nurkic would have given them, and is a huge upgrade over labissiere. They may be content with waiting on Nurkic (which I imagine they are), or they may view this year as their best opportunity to win a title. 

11 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

We should make them throw in Mccollum also. He'd be really good backing up Dillon Brooks, giving our 2nd unit some scoring. Although I would wonder whether Allen when healthy would cut into CJ's minutes.

Hood has to agree to a trade, he ain't coming here. I think the Blazers'll go for Crowder+Hill over Iguodala now. Iggy is not much of an upgrade over Bazemore at this point but Crowder+Hill are. Then we flip Iggy to the Mavs or Heat.

2 minutes ago, cdp said:

Hood has to agree to a trade, he ain't coming here. I think the Blazers'll go for Crowder+Hill over Iguodala now. Iggy is not much of an upgrade over Bazemore at this point but Crowder+Hill are. Then we flip Iggy to the Mavs or Heat.

Torn Achilles.  We don't want him.

40 minutes ago, cdp said:

Bazemore isn't good, I don't know if you've seen his shooting percentages, but they are bad. Iggy is an upgrade on both ends, not that Bazemore is bad on defense by any means. 

51 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

We should make them throw in Mccollum also. He'd be really good backing up Dillon Brooks, giving our 2nd unit some scoring. Although I would wonder whether Allen when healthy would cut into CJ's minutes.

Thank you for giving your input. I'm sure we all value your contributions to the board. Nothing I said was completely out of the question (obviously some more likely than others), which is why I provided several options they might actually consider. But keep being you

44 minutes ago, cdp said:

Didn't know that about Hood. That rules him out. The thought before he got injured was that he was going to opt out next year, but he likely is opting in no matter where he goes because he isn't getting more than that now. 

As for Crowder and Hill, I could see it. They need depth. Jae and Hill both give versatile defenders that can knock down 3s. They have an extra roster spot, so I wouldn't want to take back little or Trent, I'd rather have a first so we can save a spot for a 2 for 1 with Iggy. 

10 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Bazemore isn't good, I don't know if you've seen his shooting percentages, but they are bad. Iggy is an upgrade on both ends, not that Bazemore is bad on defense by any means. 

Thank you for giving your input. I'm sure we all value your contributions to the board. Nothing I said was completely out of the question (obviously some more likely than others), which is why I provided several options they might actually consider. But keep being you

Didn't know that about Hood. That rules him out. The thought before he got injured was that he was going to opt out next year, but he likely is opting in no matter where he goes because he isn't getting more than that now. 

As for Crowder and Hill, I could see it. They need depth. Jae and Hill both give versatile defenders that can knock down 3s. They have an extra roster spot, so I wouldn't want to take back little or Trent, I'd rather have a first so we can save a spot for a 2 for 1 with Iggy. 

I will take Skal, picks, and expiring contracts/2 year deals for Iggy.  We can send 'em Tyus Jones, Marko, and Grayson Allen, too.

23 hours ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Nice breakdown.

That's about the only thing that will keep him in the league - it's weird, his form and release look good too, but he just can't knock them down at a preferable rate yet.

23 hours ago, chipc3 said:

his form & release appear perfect/ideal and he's shooting near 90% from the FT line this year.  he shot 38% from college 3 on a massive amount of attempts and like 85% from the FT line.  those numbers all bode well for him to regress back to mean and end up a 36+% 3 pt shooter given enough time and patience that no one seems to want to give players nowadays.  i was less concerned about his offense and more concerned with his defense and all around game coming into this year.  he couldn't get minutes under quin snyder b/c he was atrocious defensively.  he clearly put in work this summer and so far has more than held his own defensively and is contributing in other ways with rebounds, hustle plays, etc.  i really want to see more of him paired with de'anthony.

15 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

agreed

1 hour ago, cdp said:

Simply not true. I sort of think that people with this opinion haven't watched the playoffs the last 5 years. He's not a good regular season player but hes one of the best on ball defenders in the NBA.  Portland doens't need Bazemore's scoring as much as they need someone who can guard Kawhi/Harden/Lebron/ etc. If you don't have someone who can defend these players, youre simply not going to win. Bazemore's impact in the playoffs should be a net negative IMO.