Jonboy

Grizz Acquire Iguodala, 1st Round Pick from GS

1 minute ago, ALT GRIND said:

I want Josh and Clarke on the wings.  More defense at backup point guard (McCaw).  Bruno needs to play more, even if we keep Jonas.

Most likely that's not going to happen. Clarke doesn't have the game to be a wing right now. Josh Jackson has to pay his dues a bit longer according to Herrington. McCaw isn't a point guard also.  

Kyle is a baller.  Dillon is too, even when his shot is off he competes on defense and on the boards and is unafraid of making plays (even if it is only to call his own shot).

Not saying that I would play this lineup a ton, but Ja/Josh/Clarke/Jaren/Jonas should be thrown out there a bit.  You still have Dillon, Kyle, and Bruno off the bench.  That is basically most of our rotation anyway.  Solo Man is still our designated Favorite Uncle.  Melton/McCaw/Powell/Yuta/Konchar would give us something different to work with while we see if our "top guys" can get chemistry.  Accumulating picks helps too (even late first rounders. Even middling 2nd rounders).

Are you suggesting that the team start Ja/Josh/Clarke/Jaren/Jonas? It sounds like you are. I don't believe that will happen. I agree on collecting picks but too many late first and second round picks are just as bad as not enough. The team needs players who can come in a make a difference from the draft not players who will become role players after 2-3 years in the league.  

Outside of Ja, Jaren, Clarke, Jonas, Dillon, Kyle Anderson and Josh Jackson I don't see a ton of "keys to the future" on this team.  Plus, Bruno is basically our 4th big man.  Even if Powell/McCaw is a lateral transition from the Tyus/Grayson/Marko regime we at least get another 1st round pick.  

The Grizzlies aren't going to waive a 24 or 23 year old player (especially not one they signed this summer) to make a lateral move and a first round pick that is heavily protected. Yesterday you were saying you didn't want to be  in the 3-6 range of the lottery and now you want a sub 20 pick? 

Norman Powell had a good game in the NBA Finals (maybe more).  McCaw has been on at least one title team.
What does that prove? He who shall not be named has a ring too. I don't want him as a center on this team.   

A Raps first rounder gives us more flexibility.

Then you trade Jae Crowder for maybe ONE guy you kinda like (I want Grant Williams or Tacko Fall off the Celtics OR BOTH), a 2020 first rounder or a future pick, and CASH.  

Why would Boston trade for Jae Crowder? They traded him away to Utah a few years ago. And why do you want to players who will clog the paint? Haven't you heard that Jenkins system isn't made for paint cloggers? 

Does Iggy have value?  Maybe, but maybe it is less than we thought.  Mavs look like a good trading partner too but that Raptors trade also looks good.  A Mavs trade would be something like Tim Hardaway Jr./Courtney Lee/31.  Depends on what you want....

Not sure the Lakers are holding their breath for Iggy.  They are on a 70 win pace anyway.  Don't have tons of contracts to trade.  They could use another play maker but they already have LeBron then those Rondo/Caruso guys.  Another play maker who CAN'T SHOOT might not be optimal either.

Maybe they could use Jae Crowder more.  Cheaper contract.  In game shape.  Could play some small ball 4 or some 3.  

We could fully swap out the back end of our bench and call up some of our G League guys and I think our team would be better off.
I agree that the Lakers may be fine without Andre but Denver, the Clippers, Milwaukee, Boston, Philly, or someone else could want him to pass the Lakers and the Lakers may want him to prevent other teams from passing them. This is a poker game right now and the first one to blink loses. You are blinking like someone with Tourettes syndrome.  

8 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

This past draft we got Clarke at 24.  Maybe he outperforms some top 6 picks from that draft.  

The draft looks flatter after 3 or 4 or 5.  Not sure we get a ton of "bang for the buck" at 5 or 6 (relative to trading down or having a late first).

The only "top tier big man" in the 2020 draft looks to be Wiseman (according to many key board experts but also scouts and people with "real" basketball jobs).  The top shooting guard is Anthony Edwards.  Not sure who the "second best" 2 guard is.  The rest of the top of the draft looks like a bunch of point guard or combo guard types: LaMelo, Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton, Nico Mannion.  Maybe Tre Jones.  

Don't have a good handle on the wings that are projected to go lotto/mid-first: Scottie Lewis, Deni, Precious Achiuwa, Josh Green, and those guys.

I trust our draft guys.  I think we can do well at 1. Or 2. Or, 3-6.  But, maybe we get less value out of 3-6 than maybe we should in a typical draft.  Or, maybe the optimal strategy was to trade down (getting a similar player PLUS bonus picks).

5 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

This past draft we got Clarke at 24.  Maybe he outperforms some top 6 picks from that draft.  

The draft looks flatter after 3 or 4 or 5.  Not sure we get a ton of "bang for the buck" at 5 or 6 (relative to trading down or having a late first).

The only "top tier big man" in the 2020 draft looks to be Wiseman (according to many key board experts but also scouts and people with "real" basketball jobs).  The top shooting guard is Anthony Edwards.  Not sure who the "second best" 2 guard is.  The rest of the top of the draft looks like a bunch of point guard or combo guard types: LaMelo, Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton, Nico Mannion.  Maybe Tre Jones.  

Don't have a good handle on the wings that are projected to go lotto/mid-first: Scottie Lewis, Deni, Precious Achiuwa, Josh Green, and those guys.

I trust our draft guys.  I think we can do well at 1. Or 2. Or, 3-6.  But, maybe we get less value out of 3-6 than maybe we should in a typical draft.  Or, maybe the optimal strategy was to trade down (getting a similar player PLUS bonus picks).

I like Precious Achiuwa....he has a really good name.

7 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

GREAT NAME.

Aired two consecutive free throws but he looks good.  Raw though.  Is he a small ball 4?  He played the 3 in high school.  If he is a small forward then I like him a bit more.

I had him at 5 in my last internal big board.  But, he is a guy who can move into the top 3 or closer to 15.

If we just draft who we want, and ignore everyone trying to tell us what to do then I like our odds.

Need/fit don't matter IF you can get a Tier 1/future All Star type.  IF those guys aren't there then you can take need/fit into account more.

I don't think any of these guys are worth tanking for.  Or, maybe just 1 or 2 tops.

Wiseman looks good.  I would like to get him, but a lot of that has to do with him being a local guy and being able to sell a tons of tickets.  He would be great for hype.  Also a great lob threat/pick and roll guy with Ja.  But, with other teams I could see why maybe they aren't super high on him.

IF we were starting a rebuild from scratch I would have lead guards/play makers at the top of my board: Cole Anthony, Nico Mannion, LaMelo Ball.... I would have RJ Hampton and Tre Jones and maybe a few more guys slotted a bit higher.

If we are looking at Tier 2 or Tier 3 prospects that aren't as good as Ja or Jaren or Clarke, THEN we should try to optimize our draft positioning AND draft with at least fit/scheme/need/intangibles in mind.  

We should do our own homework and do what we want.  I think we will get a good outcome.

IF we didn't have Ja then I would have a "run on point guards" on my draft board starting no later than 3 or 4.

Now that we DO have Ja, I think our draft board might look a bit different than other teams'.

34 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

With a name like Precious, he probably got his *** kicked in school every day.

1 minute ago, CarloJ63 said:

With a name like Precious, he probably got his *** kicked in school every day.

Depends... have you seen him. I want no piece of that If I’m a school kid :):)

2 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

Depends... have you seen him. I want no piece of that If I’m a school kid :):)

Well then he probably got that way because he had no choice but to fight.

Like a boy named Sue....

2 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

Well then he probably got that way because he had no choice but to fight.

Like a boy named Sue....

I have no idea why this is soooo funny to me but 

🤣💫💨

It looks like the Mavs might be the most likely to trade for Iggy. 

I don't know if we can but I'd love to get Delon back. Not sure if that's against the rules or whatever cause we traded him. 

Tyus and Iggy for CLee and Delon.

If they don't want to include him, I'd rather take back Brunson than Jackson. Doubt we could get Dorian Finney Smith because he's a starter. I'd give them Melton if we got back Brunson and a 2nd. 

It's gotta be. With the way they're playing right now against the Clips they could really use him. They're really the only team that has the salary, the space and picks to make a move. We already got a 1st for Julian flippin Washburn, we won the trade already. Whatever we get for Iguodala is gravy.

I don't think we can trade for Delon this year @Rdk4121. We already traded him.

Justin Jackson would fit our whole J thing.  Almost building a Jackson 5 if we get him AND call up Josh.

Jalen Brunson is good too.  

I would definitely be working the phones with Dallas.  

On 11/25/2019 at 12:38 PM, cdp said:

Or maybe Hill/Allen for MKG?. Would open up a spot for us. I dunno I just think at this point we're not going to able to do a straight up trade with anyone for Iggy. It'll be either get a third team involved or trade him somewhere where they can just waive him themselves.

Why on earth would we want MKG?  We have a glut of SFs on the roster, most of whom are better.

1 hour ago, cdp said:

It's gotta be. With the way they're playing right now against the Clips they could really use him. They're really the only team that has the salary, the space and picks to make a move. We already got a 1st for Julian flippin Washburn, we won the trade already. Whatever we get for Iguodala is gravy.

I don't think we can trade for Delon this year @Rdk4121. We already traded him.

I'm not sure if the sign and trade works the same way. I assume so, but I have no idea. 

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

Why on earth would we want MKG?  We have a glut of SFs on the roster, most of whom are better.

That trade opens up a roster spot plus gets us a slight upgrade over Hill....and someone that might actually be here next year.

7 minutes ago, cdp said:

That trade opens up a roster spot plus gets us a slight upgrade over Hill....and someone that might actually be here next year.

I'm not sure there is evidence to suggest he's even an upgrade. Both Hill and MKG are on expiring contracts, so not sure why he'd be more likely to be here next year. Not that we'd want him here necessarily. And I also don't understand the need for an open roster spot. We shouldn't be hunting out deals for the sake of doing deals. You could argue that the continuity of keeping Hill on the team is more important than any minor upgrade MKG might offer anyway.

23 mins ago  via RealGM
Windhorst pointed to Courtney Lee’s contract as the key to any potential deal. “Executives believe the Mavericks are a team that we should watch when it comes to the Andre Iguodala landing spot. They have a tradable contract in Courtney Lee, and extra second-round picks they could potentially use to get Memphis interested,” added Windhorst.

54 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:
23 mins ago  via RealGM
Windhorst pointed to Courtney Lee’s contract as the key to any potential deal. “Executives believe the Mavericks are a team that we should watch when it comes to the Andre Iguodala landing spot. They have a tradable contract in Courtney Lee, and extra second-round picks they could potentially use to get Memphis interested,” added Windhorst.

Make it a first round pick and we’ll take it. But that 12.76 mill is a heavy price to pay. 

4 minutes ago, King Dork said:

Make it a first round pick and we’ll take it. But that 12.76 mill is a heavy price to pay. 

But why? We're sending 17.1M out and getting 12.8 back, that's saving $4.3M (prorated). Are they seriously looking for a trade partner with enough cap space (or large enough TPE) to absorb most of Iggy's contract? I know of no contenders who meet that requirement and nobody else is trading for Iggy.

Unless it's a negotiating tactic to get a better pick, of course.

3 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

I don't get why we wouldn't want to absorb Lee's salary. It's less money than Iggy's and it's also an expiring contract. What's the drawback?

It would diminish the cap space they have for this summer where I assume they plan to throw MAX money at either Brandon Ingram or Bagdon Bogdonovic

Just now, fanboyslim said:

But why? We're sending 17.1M out and getting 12.8 back, that's saving $4.3M (prorated). Are they seriously looking for a trade partner with enough cap space (or large enough TPE) to absorb most of Iggy's contract? I know of no contenders who meet that requirement and nobody else is trading for Iggy.

Unless it's a negotiating tactic to get a better pick, of course.

Iggy s contract is an expiring contract, C Lee’s is not. 

Just now, King Dork said:

It would diminish the cap space they have for this summer where I assume they plan to throw MAX money at either Brandon Ingram or Bagdon Bogdonovic

No it won't, CLee's contract is expiring.