Jonboy

Grizz Acquire Iguodala, 1st Round Pick from GS

Just now, srmjr23 said:

Agreed. I don't see any reason to make moves for Korver/Crowder/Iggy quickly just because. These guys will be just as valuable at the deadline as they are now. Teams get squirmy at the deadline when they feel they can contend and are ready to swing for it, especially now that the Warriors are (mostly) out of the picture.

How much movement now compared to the deadline? 

More movement = more opportunities. 

3 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

How much movement now compared to the deadline? 

More movement = more opportunities. 

If the deal is there, we should absolutely take it. My only point is that we're not in a position where we have to do anything quickly. We're holding the cards on these very valuable vets/contracts.

edit: The reason these contracts are so valuable is that we maintain all the leverage in trades. A team offers less than we want? Sorry, we'll just keep this gigantic Iggy expiring and let it come off our books and make moves in F.A next year. Same is true for Crowder/Korver. So if you want them you have to give us what we want. I will say this... there is something to be said for not trading Tyreke for less than what we asked for him. (Yes it was obviously much too high). But if you demand X and you get X - Y in a trade, it ruins your bargaining power in future trades. Since that deal we've managed to win these trades, and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that saying no to Boston or whoever when they wouldn't give us a 1st for Tyreke had something to do with it.

Just now, srmjr23 said:

If the deal is there, we should absolutely take it. My only point is that we're not in a position where we have to do anything quickly. We're holding the cards on these very valuable vets/contracts.

True, but we could lose leverage at the deadline. Also, cap space will be tighter then.

This is something else. All these assets. 🙂

Slick move by the front office.  Golden State is mortgaging their future, and I'm not sure if D'angelo Russell is worth it.  I'm glad we were the ones to reap the benefits.  That first round pick could be nice.

I don't see Iggy playing for the Grizzlies.  To be honest, I really felt like he fell off some and started to show his age this year.  I'd rather grow with SloMo, Bruno, Brooks, Grayson, etc. than give Iggy valuable minutes.  He could be a valuable asset for the team to help the youth grow, but I doubt he'd be interested in that in Memphis.  

In a couple days, there will be a lot of teams scrambling to get more help (and some big names) to help their offseason grades and season ticket sales.  Iggy is perfect for that.  I'd much rather get another prospect or draft pick than have an aging 35 year old on a rebuilding team.  

3 minutes ago, Trybanski Time said:

Slick move by the front office.  Golden State is mortgaging their future, and I'm not sure if D'angelo Russell is worth it.  I'm glad we were the ones to reap the benefits.  That first round pick could be nice.

I don't see Iggy playing for the Grizzlies.  To be honest, I really felt like he fell off some and started to show his age this year.  I'd rather grow with SloMo, Bruno, Brooks, Grayson, etc. than give Iggy valuable minutes.  He could be a valuable asset for the team to help the youth grow, but I doubt he'd be interested in that in Memphis.  

In a couple days, there will be a lot of teams scrambling to get more help (and some big names) to help their offseason grades and season ticket sales.  Iggy is perfect for that.  I'd much rather get another prospect or draft pick than have an aging 35 year old on a rebuilding team.  

Delete this post. The Knicks are still looking for players/live bodies. There is still fleecing to be done by the Grizzlies!

I don't think he gets traded again, but that we'll waive him and he'll join the Lakers.

Who is going to give up something to pay Iggy $17M this year? Especially when there is a possibility that we'll just waive him at some point...

13 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

I will say this... there is something to be said for not trading Tyreke for less than what we asked for him. (Yes it was obviously much too high). But if you demand X and you get X - Y in a trade, it ruins your bargaining power in future trades. Since that deal we've managed to win these trades, and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that saying no to Boston or whoever when they wouldn't give us a 1st for Tyreke had something to do with it.

I guess you're unaware of the rule about saying anything good related to Chris Wallace.

7 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I guess you're unaware of the rule about saying anything good related to Chris Wallace.

Oh, true. Mods - delete my post.

Rather not waive/buyout Iggy. That only helps other teams get him for less. He's a large expiring that could be used in trades. Could trade him for a longer contract while getting picks, or use the rest of our cap to take on a bigger expiring and picks, or play him spot minutes to help us convey our pick. Keeping him gives us options.

10 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

If idea is to keep him till the deadline then flip him for MORE MORE MORE... then we could roll out day one

Ja + Iggy + Jae + Jaren + Jonas.... DAYUM..

He's probably going to be gone pretty quickly, I think that is why AB date was changed.

10 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Iggy can be our LeBron stopper when the Fake Show rolls into town.

Report is Iggy will go to Lakers (as buyout), but right now teams like Utah and GSW don't have a great matchup for LeBron.

Memphis has 2 of them (Jae and Iggy).

35 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Well there is a rumor out that the Grizzlies are buying out Iggy so he can sign with the Lakers. 

If it's coming from a national media member then it's just an assumption. If it's not coming from one of the Memphis respected media guys or Woj then I don't believe it.

If Iggy doesn't want to be here flip him to a team with a contract with an extra year get another draft pick and let them get bullied into buying him out.

Trade him to Charlotte for Biyombo and a 1st we'd have to eat an extra year of Biyombo's contract but getting another 1st would be worth it. 

Or do something with Miami but they don't have any first to trade back maybe some high seconds

Minnesota for Dieng and Okgie

3 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

If it's coming from a national media member then it's just an assumption. If it's not coming from one of the Memphis respected media guys or Woj then I don't believe it.

If Iggy doesn't want to be here flip him to a team with a contract with an extra year get another draft pick and let them get bullied into buying him out.

When have the Memphis media broken a story about the Grizzlies? 

I'd be thinking long and hard about making a deal with the Wolves for either Wiggins or Dieng if we could get Okogie and their 2022 first rounder unprotected. 

51 minutes ago, Zappastache said:

I don't think he gets traded again, but that we'll waive him and he'll join the Lakers.

Who is going to give up something to pay Iggy $17M this year? Especially when there is a possibility that we'll just waive him at some point...

This 

Calkins mentioned on his show that GSW aren't keeping DLo they are flipping him to another team??   Minny may still end up with him. 

Wonder what the plan is with Iggy.    Imagining him sticking around to be mentor to the Cubs sounds cool but can't see him doing that.   Besides we already have Crowder openly willing to do that.   He is 29yrs old in his prime so would be much smarter hanging onto him.  

Flipping him to Minny for Dieng + okogie + pick and resigning Delon... Would be Grizz FO AllTimer.  

3 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Iggy is well past him prime. I would want him as a locker room guy off of the bench but not sure if I would want him starting or playing starter's minutes at this point in his career. Obviously he took a backseat to Steph, KD and Klay in GS and accepted a role but he's 35. We should try and flip him to a vet team looking to contend. The 1st round pick was nice though. 

If they want a locker room guy, get Vince Carter.

If they can get anything of value for Iggy, AB, Korver or Parsons, they should.

I'm not suggesting waiving all those guys and bringing in Vince, but none of those guys should remain for mentoring reasons.  I'd be happy with just 2nd rounders for any of them. Hopefully there is more, but right now, I think only AB and Korver have value because all other teams know Iggy (and probably Parsons) will be waived at some point.

Apparently we're working on a buyout right now. I'm sure we might get a couple million back from him. He's looking to join the Lakers. 

6 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Calkins mentioned on his show that GSW aren't keeping DLo they are flipping him to another team??   Minny may still end up with him. 

Wonder what the plan is with Iggy.    Imagining him sticking around to be mentor to the Cubs sounds cool but can't see him doing that.   Besides we already have Crowder openly willing to do that.   He is 29yrs old in his prime so would be much smarter hanging onto him.  

Flipping him to Minny for Dieng + okogie + pick and resigning Delon... Would be Grizz FO AllTimer.  

That's impossible you can't do that as far as I know when you trade for somebody you have to keep that player.

Expirings have little value in the offseason.  Too many teams with cap space that can absorb a deal on the spot.

Memphis is the closest Iggy has been to his hometown since he's been in the league.  He's from Springfield IL.  His entire immediate family still lives there.  Every time GS plays grizzlies the fam and friends make the 5 hr drive here.  Maybe he's happy to be close to home.

1 hour ago, Zappastache said:

I agree on the trade angle. The real question is how much money will Iggy give up to not play for the Grizzlies this season?