Jonboy

Grizz Acquire Iguodala, 1st Round Pick from GS

F¥&% him.

Why should we be the bad guys?

What about the Warriors, they are not the bad guys for trading him to us?

4 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Good point. Plus Iggy is the V.P. of the players union. As such, he is more likely to be very conscience of his actions with regard to how it may effect other players actions in the future, and player - ownership relations. 

If not traded, I fully expect Iggy to honor his contract, show up for training camp, and be the professional that he is.

I agree. Iggy will be here if no solution are found before the training camp start. The FO make the right decision but we still far from deadline and a lot will happen. I do hope we got a win-win solution. Keeping a guy who doesn't want to be here is never a great option for the group, coach...but wait and see. 

42 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

F¥&% him.

Dubs literally had no choice but to trade him in order to get Russell cuz it hard capped them. That's why the threw in a 1st with Iggy and i'm sure we were the only team willing to take on that kind of salary at the start of free agency.

Way I see it is no team would pay Iguodala 17 mill as a free agent right now. So he has no value at that price. Best bet is to trade him to a third team for even bigger salary that will play this year (THJ?,  Batum?) and let that team buy him out so he can go wherever.

I know I've seen players reduce their salaries in order to facilitate a trade. I think Ryan Anderson did that recently. Would Iggy be willing to do something like that is the question. 

7 hours ago, Grizz&Grind said:

CW would have never obtained Iggy in the first place, certainly would not have acquired a future 1st as well.

He would've traded away a first to get him, then buy him out or trade another first to move him.

2 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

F¥&% him.

They are former Champs and exempt from blame in any basketball matters regardless of their actions in accordance with NBA Blame Policy, Section II, Chapter 4, Paragraph 7b which reads "former NBA Champions or teams with a top five fan following globally are exempt from any negative press, media coverage nor will any responsibility for, or public blame be assigned which can easily passed to a small market team with a losing record".

15 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

They are former Champs and exempt from blame in any basketball matters regardless of their actions in accordance with NBA Blame Policy, Section II, Chapter 4, Paragraph 7b which reads "former NBA Champions or teams with a top five fan following globally are exempt from any negative press, media coverage nor will any responsibility for, or public blame be assigned which can easily passed to a small market team with a losing record".

very good comment

19 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Exactly 

🧐

good eye smit-tay !

10 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I know I've seen players reduce their salaries in order to facilitate a trade. I think Ryan Anderson did that recently. Would Iggy be willing to do something like that is the question. 

So did Dwight Howard. Ended up making more money.

Iggy could go to the Nuggets if they wanted. They still have the BAE and most of the MLE, so Iggy could renounce to part of his salary and be signed for more than the minimum.

10 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Image result for i can agree with that gif

24 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

So did Dwight Howard. Ended up making more money.

Iggy could go to the Nuggets if they wanted. They still have the BAE and most of the MLE, so Iggy could renounce to part of his salary and be signed for more than the minimum.

I'm talking about a trade. Dwight Howard was a buyout. Now that I looked back,  Anderson just lessened his guaranteed money for the last year of his contract. 

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

I'm talking about a trade. Dwight Howard was a buyout. Now that I looked back,  Anderson just lessened his guaranteed money for the last year of his contract. 

You cannot reduce guaranteed salary to facilitate a trade. Iggy’s contract is fully guaranteed.

2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I don’t know the details of Anderson’s contract and how it was renegotiated (it looks as if they changed the full guarantee date, not the guaranteed amount, which is legal), but Larry Coon is very clear about how this works in the CBA FAQ:

59. Can existing contracts be renegotiated?

A contract for four or more seasons can be renegotiated after the third anniversary of its signing, extension, or previous renegotiation (if the previous negotiation increased any season's salary by more than 5%). Contracts for fewer than four seasons cannot be renegotiated. A contract cannot be renegotiated between March 1 and June 30 of any year. 

Only teams under the cap can renegotiate a contract, and the salary in the then-current season can be increased only to the extent that the team has room under the cap (and cannot increase the player's salary beyond the maximum salary). A renegotiation can only be used to provide a salary increase -- players can't take a "pay cut" in order to create more cap room for the team.

2 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

I don’t know the details of Anderson’s contract and how it was renegotiated (it looks as if they changed the full guarantee date, not the guaranteed amount, which is legal), but Larry Coon is very clear about how this works in the CBA FAQ:

59. Can existing contracts be renegotiated?

A contract for four or more seasons can be renegotiated after the third anniversary of its signing, extension, or previous renegotiation (if the previous negotiation increased any season's salary by more than 5%). Contracts for fewer than four seasons cannot be renegotiated. A contract cannot be renegotiated between March 1 and June 30 of any year. 

Only teams under the cap can renegotiate a contract, and the salary in the then-current season can be increased only to the extent that the team has room under the cap (and cannot increase the player's salary beyond the maximum salary). A renegotiation can only be used to provide a salary increase -- players can't take a "pay cut" in order to create more cap room for the team.

Like I said, I think his contract was signed under the old CBA so it was completely different rules. Just like JR Smith this year where he could be traded like his contract was fully guaranteed, but waived for only 3 million. 

7 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

You cannot reduce guaranteed salary to facilitate a trade. Iggy’s contract is fully guaranteed.

This is true so I would guess that with Ryan Anderson's contract they were able to trim the "likely bonuses" that are not part of annual salary but charged against teams as salary. Same way they are able to negotiate trade kickers that are in some players contracts. 

1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

This is true so I would guess that with Ryan Anderson's contract they were able to trim the "likely bonuses" that are not part of annual salary but charged against teams as salary. Same way they are able to negotiate trade kickers that are in some players contracts. 

I'm not sure what his bonuses where, but I can't imagine he would have actually accomplished them the last two years as he hasn't played. That being said, he's still made his full salary. 

1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

You know 2-3M a year is not bad money for slave laborer. :)

1 hour ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

You know 2-3M a year is not bad money for slave laborer. :)

I don't understand the relevancy of your statement with regard to my post.

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

I'm not sure what his bonuses where, but I can't imagine he would have actually accomplished them the last two years as he hasn't played. That being said, he's still made his full salary

How do you know this? Base salary plus likely bonuses count against the cap and are what is listed as total player salary. There is a good article that goes into this with regard to Nene's new contract. It is listed as 10 mil per season, but is actually 2.7 mil plus 7.3 mil in likely bonuses. Teams are starting to play loose with the so called "likely bonuses" for different reasons. One example was if Houston traded Nene to another team, he would be a more desirable player because if his likely bonus is tied to wins, going from a 50 win team to a 30 win team makes his contract go from 10 mil in cap hit to 2.7 mil after the trade. Houston's trading partner could have 7.3 mil in cap hit vanish once the trade is completed (assuming the trading team sends a 10 mil contract to Houston).

It's a long article, but interesting;

https://earlybirdrights.com/2019/09/11/analysis-houston-rockets-nene-hilario-contract-details-likely-bonuses-trade/

7 hours ago, Father Pat said:

How do you know this? Base salary plus likely bonuses count against the cap and are what is listed as total player salary. There is a good article that goes into this with regard to Nene's new contract. It is listed as 10 mil per season, but is actually 2.7 mil plus 7.3 mil in likely bonuses. Teams are starting to play loose with the so called "likely bonuses" for different reasons. One example was if Houston traded Nene to another team, he would be a more desirable player because if his likely bonus is tied to wins, going from a 50 win team to a 30 win team makes his contract go from 10 mil in cap hit to 2.7 mil after the trade. Houston's trading partner could have 7.3 mil in cap hit vanish once the trade is completed (assuming the trading team sends a 10 mil contract to Houston).

It's a long article, but interesting;

https://earlybirdrights.com/2019/09/11/analysis-houston-rockets-nene-hilario-contract-details-likely-bonuses-trade/

The thing with likely bonuses is that they can be freely renegotiated, so they count as non-guaranteed salary (likely bonuses are preemptively included in the cap) but they can be waived or changed without much fuss. Regular non-guaranteed salary cannot be removed, but the guarantee date (an possibly other conditions, e.g. Conley's requirement to play a minimum number of games to fully guarantee his last season) can be renegotiated so that there's some wiggle room.

I suspect the NBA will clamp down on the likely bonuses tactics as they clearly violate the spirit of the CBA. If not now (which they could if these antics become too egregious), then in the next CBA.

This is how Houston can trade for Iggy before February 6 deadline.

I expect our FO to hold on to Iggy up until deadline.

Iggy can moan complain and bad mouth Grizz FO as much as he likes.

We should stay strong and get the asset from someone.

Our FO are bad a$$ now.

He just needs to be grown up about it. Play half a season here and then go for a title after the deadline