Jonboy

Grizz Acquire Iguodala, 1st Round Pick from GS

9 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Exactly. What I believe some people aren't factoring into the equation is the Grizzlies may not want to lose Iggy for nothing even at a 50% discount. They may want more draft picks. They may want another young player. I don't know what they want but it seems likely that they want something for this asset (and I do believe Iggy is an asset).

Buyouts only work if both sides want out. If Memphis doesn't want Iggy and Iggy wants out at some point a buyout may make sense. The key point point is both sides need to want it. A player wanting to be bought out alone (and I am not saying Iggy does) isn't enough for a franchise to buy him out at any price. 

People are asking for examples of players accepting a buyout for no money. The only reason a team would even offer that is they are willing to let him go. If the team wants him either as a leader on a young team or as a future trade asset, they simply won't negotiate a buyout. If the offer is too low the player won't accept the buyout. Therefore buyouts for nothing don't happen very often and won't be announced if they are. 

I do wonder how many buyouts have been for little to nothing. I suppose they have happened but why would they if both sides weren't in agreement. If the team doesn't want to pay that much they just keep him. If the player doesn't want that little they just refuse the offer. 

I never said we cant trade him or shouldnt trade him . all I want is to see players that took no money in a buyout since you think they happen . show me.

12 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I do wonder how many buyouts have been for little to nothing. I suppose they have happened but why would they if both sides weren't in agreement. If the team doesn't want to pay that much they just keep him. If the player doesn't want that little they just refuse the offer. 

I imagine it's for veterans with small contracts; can't imagine anyone giving up meaningful money - still think the most money that's ever been given up was Wade and Larry Sanders.

Just now, IdrinkGuinness said:

I never said we cant trade him or shouldnt trade him . all I want is to see players that took no money in a buyout since you think they happen . show me.

I have told you repeatedly I can't find it. I believe they happen when a player is dead-set against playing for a team but I can't prove it. 

I don't believe the franchise wants to buy out Iggy and if he came to me as GM and asked for one that is what I would offer. I want to trade him or use him as a veteran presence in the locker room and on the court. He could really help a young and talented team like the Grizzlies. I refuse to allow that asset to go for anything. That's why I would offer him nothing. I don't want him to walk away for nothing but I would honor his request for that. I definitely don't want to pay him to leave for nothing. 

1 minute ago, ACGrizz said:

I imagine it's for veterans with small contracts; can't imagine anyone giving up meaningful money - still think the most money that's ever been given up was Wade and Larry Sanders.

maybe guys that wanted to go back overseas or guys with serious issues like mayo that didn't want drama .

3 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

Wade didn't give up that much did he? Sanders was a knucklehead so who knows what he walked away from. Collison's retirement brings up an interesting question. Did he walk away from his contract or do the Pacers owe him money even though he refuses to play? 

I'm totally fine with getting CLee and a 2nd back for Iggy. The savings help are nice, the 2nd rounder could be somewhat valuable. Lee would also be a nice because he can help mentor Allen and Brooks, and he can also play a little still. We already got our first from this, and I doubt we're getting justin Jackson back from this. 

I found one and a very recent one at that. Darren Collison announced he is finished playing for the Indiana Pacers at age 31. He walked away from his contract and won't be paid anything from the Pacers. 

This is despite the fact that Collison is now free to sign with any team in the league if he so chooses. The Pacers will receive no compensation at all if Collison signs with another team. In other words, although he claims he is retiring, he is accepting a buyout and will get paid nothing in return. 

I don't believe this is a perfect example but it is an example of a player leaving a contract with no payout of any sort. i.e. a buyout for nothing. If he signs with the Clippers or Lakers then it is a perfect example. 

And yes I am teasing here. 

3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I found one and a very recent one at that. Darren Collison announced he is finished playing for the Indiana Pacers at age 31. He walked away from his contract and won't be paid anything from the Pacers. 

This is despite the fact that Collison is now free to sign with any team in the league if he so chooses. The Pacers will receive no compensation at all if Collison signs with another team. In other words, although he claims he is retiring, he is accepting a buyout and will get paid nothing in return. 

I don't believe this is a perfect example but it is an example of a player leaving a contract with no payout of any sort. i.e. a buyout for nothing. If he signs with the Clippers or Lakers then it is a perfect example. 

And yes I am teasing here. 

He was looking at free agenency 

3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Wade didn't give up that much did he? Sanders was a knucklehead so who knows what he walked away from. Collison's retirement brings up an interesting question. Did he walk away from his contract or do the Pacers owe him money even though he refuses to play? 

He did! Slow day at work, so I did the research for ya guys on some of the most money given up I could find.

Dwyane Wade gave up $8 million of his $23.8 million to get out of his contract with the Bulls: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20809443/dwyane-wade-chicago-bulls-agree-contract-buyout

Luol Deng gave up $7.5 million of his remaining $36.5 million contract with Lakers (2 yrs left on contract): https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24547748/luol-deng-agrees-75m-give-back-contract-buyout-los-angeles-lakers

Dwight Howard gave up $5 million of his $23.5 million contract with the Nets: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article214503339.html

And going to the way back machine, Dikembe Mutombo gave up $12 million of his $37.5 million contract with the Nets (2 yrs left on contract): https://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/05/sports/pro-basketball-nets-will-buy-out-mutombo-s-contract.html?mtrref=www.google.com

Going back to Larry Sanders, seems like he gave up $16.5 million of the $33 million left on his remaining 3 yr contract (hard to tell, since it just says he "walked away with half" but doesn't reference specific amount): https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/2/18/8046481/larry-sanders-milwaukee-bucks-buyout

Just now, ACGrizz said:

He did! Slow day at work, so I did the research for ya guys on some of the most money given up I could find.

Dwyane Wade gave up $8 million of his $23.8 million to get out of his contract with the Bulls: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20809443/dwyane-wade-chicago-bulls-agree-contract-buyout

Luol Deng gave up $7.5 million of his remaining $36.5 million contract with Lakers (2 yrs left on contract): https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24547748/luol-deng-agrees-75m-give-back-contract-buyout-los-angeles-lakers

Dwight Howard gave up $5 million of his $23.5 million contract with the Nets: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article214503339.html

And going to the way back machine, Dikembe Mutombo gave up $12 million of his $37.5 million contract with the Nets (2 yrs left on contract): https://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/05/sports/pro-basketball-nets-will-buy-out-mutombo-s-contract.html?mtrref=www.google.com

Going back to Larry Sanders, seems like he gave up $16.5 million of the $33 million left on his remaining 3 yr contract (hard to tell, since it just says he "walked away with half" but doesn't reference specific amount): https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/2/18/8046481/larry-sanders-milwaukee-bucks-buyout

I'd expect the same from IGGy in a buyout .offering zero dollars is a pipe dream and a sure fire way to get the FO dragged through the mud.

I don't think it happens very often that a player forces a team to pay him out for a ton of money if the team wants him. I believe this is the situation in Memphis. The Grizzlies front office want him either as a future asset to move or as a leader for a young locker room. Either way they don't want to pay him to leave. 

2 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

I'd expect the same from IGGy in a buyout .offering zero dollars is a pipe dream and a sure fire way to get the FO dragged through the mud.

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

I don't think it happens very often that a player forces a team to pay him out for a ton of money if the team wants him. I believe this is the situation in Memphis. The Grizzlies front office want him either as a future asset to move or as a leader for a young locker room. Either way they don't want to pay him to leave. 

This is where we differ. I don't expect a buyout. I think the Grizzlies want Iggy. If I expected a buyout then I would expect something along the lines discussed. 

Honestly I'd prefer to get Tim Hardaway Jr for Iggy and Howard. Salaries match (we save a little), they get frontcourt depth and their guy, we clear a roster space and get a youngish player that can score who also plays SG which is probably our biggest weakness. We'll still have plenty of cap space next year even if he opts in. 

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I think this FO can work it out . as of now we gonna buy some guys out / make a move or 2 . its going to come down to what they value and really 10m or so in dead money this year isn't awful . most years it would suck .

1 minute ago, Rdk4121 said:

Honestly I'd prefer to get Tim Hardaway Jr for Iggy and Howard. Salaries match (we save a little), they get frontcourt depth and their guy, we clear a roster space and get a youngish player that can score who also plays SG which is probably our biggest weakness. We'll still have plenty of cap space next year even if he opts in. 

What a strange world we have in the NBA when Tim Hardaway Jr makes as much as Iguodala and Howard combined. 

7 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

He's injured I think and a salary dump so I think they gotta give a much nicer pick than if its lee. 

I still think iggy to ind make  sense . they really need a vet . det could use him  imo. Not sure why a team in the east isnt in these rumors .Mia getting Russ+ Iggy would look pretty good too.

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I see the point on wanting a future asset, and certainly if they're able to get an asset for him they should, but just can't see him buying in to playing for a team that will likely be losing nearly two thirds of its games. Iggy seems to have a limited number of miles left on his body and just from looking at his game it's clear the regular season hasn't been a priority for him. He (wisely) prioritizes the postseason (where he still gets injured!), but is a meaningful contributor when he does play. Just don't see what a half-assed Iggy can give the Grizzlies on the court during the regular season that a Jae Crower - who is locked in and has expressed a desire to be the locker room leader you mention in your post - couldn't give you.

15 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

I see the point on wanting a future asset, and certainly if they're able to get an asset for him they should, but just can't see him buying in to playing for a team that will likely be losing nearly two thirds of its games. Iggy seems to have a limited number of miles left on his body and just from looking at his game it's clear the regular season hasn't been a priority for him. He (wisely) prioritizes the postseason (where he still gets injured!), but is a meaningful contributor when he does play. Just don't see what a half-assed Iggy can give the Grizzlies on the court during the regular season that a Jae Crower - who is locked in and has expressed a desire to be the locker room leader you mention in your post - couldn't give you.

That may very well be the case and if Iggy gets that despondent about playing for the Grizzlies (I am not saying he will) then what would he demand to be allowed to leave and what would the Grizzlies pay? Right now the Grizzlies, if you believe the rumors, want more than a 2nd round pick and Courtney Lee for Iguodala. I don't see them accepting a large payout for his services. 

Also, I am not sure it is the on the court Iggy the team is wanting. It is the locker room Iggy. The leader who rose to be Vice President of the Players Union is what they are looking for. 

4 hours ago, jtp0000 said:

I’m not sure the money matters now. We didn’t want to pay him when we thought we were contending. Now that we’re in the bottom 5, paying those types of guys isn’t as hard to swallow. 

I wonder if we end up just taking him and a couple seconds

1 minute ago, grizzgolf said:

That actually would be better than paying CLee and only getting one second round pick.

It seems Dallas can throw in $5 million as well in cash considerations, so that plus the savings from Lee's smaller contract would result in about $10 million less. Viewed that way, the Grizzlies would be paying about $7 million for a first round pick and a second round pick (and maybe whatever minutes Lee could muster up if he didn't get waived).

20 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

I don't think so.  With the Delon signing, I don't think the Mavs have the flexibility they previously had.

I would like that too, but I don't know any teams with that salary flexibility to still do that AND want to do it.

4 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I don't think so.  With the Delon signing, I don't think the Mavs have the flexibility they previously had.

I would like that too, but I don't know any teams with that salary flexibility to still do that AND want to do it.

Is there any team with cap space, other than the Hawks? And, like you said, Hawks aren't going to trade for Iguodala.

42 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

What a strange world we have in the NBA when Tim Hardaway Jr makes as much as Iguodala and Howard combined. 

Lol you make a very good point

Never underestimate the incompetence of the Knicks! Overpaying guys since the 90s to the point where the CBA had a rule named after a player they overpaid (Allan Houston anyone...?)