JWill4L

Jonas Valanciunas signs for 3 years/45M

if J,V is giving the grizzlies a great team deal ,the grizzlies are about to make a GREAT big signing 

Man, once again JV shows nothing but class. Thompson close to 50 mils per year, crazy contracts for the Kyrie, Kemba and so on....

When JV got his extension in Toronto - I thought it was with the discount, team friendly. this just blows my mind.

BUT... There is another side to the money in the NBA. JV is from LTU and LTU pro bball players always were pretty successful with their investments. The guy named Tony G (very good poker player - now politician and venture capitalist is around LKF (Lithuanian Basketball Federation)), everybody investing in real estate, stocks and so on. And don't forget that his wife is from the well to do family.

So, 15 in the NBA, some extra playing for the LTU National team and smart investments for a family man JV results in a team friendly contract for the Grizz, as bleep. I was confident he will get 17+ from the Grizz or somewhere else. But what is the difference in 1-2 mils, if a dude doesn't waste his money like Dennis Rodman and plenty same type guys.

10 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

This along with the Avery Bradley deadline extension are making the conspiracy theory wheels in my head spin and make me think a big deal is about to go down to bring in a major starter for us. (by that, I mean, someone making over $20 mil per)

That's always fun to think about, but even if all we're doing is signing him and keeping him, a 3 year deal at this rate is outstanding.  The idea that we were able to get this on paper without a player option is even better.  Everything about this seems to lean in the org's favor.

12 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

He might have lost 2.5 million this year, but gained 30 million for the next two years guaranteed. If he opted in and got hurt this year, he could have missed out on a lot of money. 

Got hurt, healed in summer and signed for example with the Real Madrid for the bigger money than Mirotic (that's Euroleague, no taxes).

But I think there are some incentives in the contract according to personal or team performance.

thank god were not like the CHARLOTTE HORNETS F.O i.m  30 miles from charlotte and  its make me SICK  to see a player like k. WALKER  walk  away  for zero 

Great move to keep JV... and without spending stupidly to do it.

Only 27 years old.  56% career shooter, 36% from three, 79% free throw shooter (great for a big guy)

Is it time for a "buh-bye" thread thanking Rabb for his time here and wishing him well in the Euro leagues?

2 minutes ago, The Truth is OUT said:

That's always fun to think about, but even if all we're doing is signing him and keeping him, a 3 year deal at this rate is outstanding.  The idea that we were able to get this on paper without a player option is even better.  Everything about this seems to lean in the org's favor.

It's a little more than what I initially expected but I think he may have given the Grizz a hometeam deal as well so I can't complain. 

I'm pretty sure his stats will regress to the mean this season and he'll be more of a 12-13 ppg and 7-8 rpg guy than a 20-10 guy like he was in a 19 game stretch for us but he's still a solid player with a good BBIQ, seems to understand the game and how to play it. He'll take the majority of the bumps and bruises under the bucket allowing JJJ to shine.

GREAT JOB mitch kupchak ang M.J

1 minute ago, bhoyal said:

Only 27 years old.  56% career shooter, 36% from three, 79% free throw shooter (great for a big guy)

Is it time for a "buh-bye" thread thanking Rabb for his time here and wishing him well in the Euro leagues?

Why? He's a backup and still projects to be a backup. 

For example. If last season Ibaka gets hurt early, JV plays 30+ minutes in Toronto... That means no Gasol trade and JV is extended in Toronto. for the different kind of money.

Only one thing I can see - FO promised him floor time 30-32 minutes next season. JV HATES sitting on the bench and playing cheerleader.

Happy with that reasonably priced and good length of contract. Wonder why they didn't do an opt in and extension? I guess it might become clear in the next few days.

3 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

It's a little more than what I initially expected but I think he may have given the Grizz a hometeam deal as well so I can't complain. 

I'm pretty sure his stats will regress to the mean this season and he'll be more of a 12-13 ppg and 7-8 rpg guy than a 20-10 guy like he was in a 19 game stretch for us but he's still a solid player with a good BBIQ, seems to understand the game and how to play it. He'll take the majority of the bumps and bruises under the bucket allowing JJJ to shine.

His stats will depend on the floor time. 12-13 points and 7-8 rebounds JV can average in less than 20 minutes. But somehow I feel he will play more.

1 minute ago, JĖGAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! said:

His stats will depend on the floor time. 12-13 points and 7-8 rebounds JV can average in less than 20 minutes. But somehow I feel he will play more.

that's what he averaged for about 5 years playing  mid-20 mpg. I doubt if his usage rate going forward will be as high as it was in the 19 games he played for the Grizz. A solid move, glad we didn't break the bank to overpay, but I don't think he will be  consistent 20-10 guy for the Grizz. He may very well be, but I think Ja and JJJ are the clear options before him. Crowder will be a cleanup man and take what the defense gives him. JV is a solid starting C in the NBA so it's great that we got him back. 

21 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

So we're only going to have two bigs on the team?

8 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

So we're only going to have two bigs on the team?

Is Rabb "big" now?   Did he spend all off-season in the weight room?

22 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I know nobody puts any faith in per-36 stats, but JV has been a starter who played a good number of minutes, not some guy getting 8-10mpg from the bench so I think they could be closer to what he may be capable of.  Over the last three seasons his per-36 numbers jumped to 19.9pts/13.5reb/1.4blk.  He may not hit those numbers but if he gets substantial minutes I could see 16-18ppg with 10 boards and a block.  That's kind of what we were getting from Zbo.  I'll take it, happily.

12 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

that's what he averaged for about 5 years playing  mid-20 mpg. I doubt if his usage rate going forward will be as high as it was in the 19 games he played for the Grizz. A solid move, glad we didn't break the bank to overpay, but I don't think he will be  consistent 20-10 guy for the Grizz. He may very well be, but I think Ja and JJJ are the clear options before him. Crowder will be a cleanup man and take what the defense gives him. JV is a solid starting C in the NBA so it's great that we got him back. 

He averaged what he averaged in Toronto, but his touches were ridiculous.

Once I posted on realgm that out of 400 ranked NBA players DD was DEAD LAST, #400 with less than 40% shooting for the season. And he couldn't hit a long shot. Lou Williams, Kyle Lowry, Vasquez were also around lower 40%s. But these guys took almost 80% of raptors FGAs.

One game JV was 10/11 in the first half against "defensive monster' Drummond, with Raptors comfortably winning, just to score 2 points in the second half cause other guys needed their points on the way to their max contracts. Coach Casey, what can you say.

Another point -  it was a first trade for JV, I expect him to come and play next season with a chip on the shoulder, so to say. JV will do his usual homework for the NBA, go through the training camp with the LTU National Team and play in the Fiba World Cup - I expect him to be in excellent shape come NBA regular season.

JV on defense swallows rebounds (Memphis guys said that) and offense - was never an issue.

26 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

JV isn't giving discounts, this is just what he's worth

For the first time in a while I would agree. You don't jump up into 100 million for 4 years based on 16 games. He hasn't proven that he is that player.

I also think that he was leery of being on a 1 year deal in case he gets injured, so the 3 year deal secures a nice future for him and possibly another big payday. 

Just glad other teams weren't after him too hard.

1 minute ago, bhoyal said:

Is Rabb "big" now?   Did he spend all off-season in the weight room?

Good one, but he's still bigger than the others available.  I don't understand why some people are so anxious to dump him when he has a very small contract and you probably aren't going to get better production for that kind of money.

1 hour ago, grizzknob said:

I'm happy with it for sure.  3/45 is perfectly reasonable value, and it should be movable if we decide we want to at some point.

A little confused on the length from JVs standpoint, was expecting a 4th year.  Couldn't he have gotten something pretty similar by opting in and then extending for 2 years?

Works on threes and gets one big fat deal in his 30's