Sign in to follow this  
Ole Dirty Klondike

NBA May Reduce Number of Games in Season

21 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I think it's a bad ideas. The new ideas are too gimmicky.  

Reducing player injury is not a gimmick 

Ehh .couldnt they have more division series or something doesnt baseball do this?  I think they could find a better way imo .im sure its a nightmare to figure out the travel and less injuries would great.

25 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

Reducing player injury is not a gimmick 

What does the inseason tournament do?

what about returning to a 5 game first round? Fewer preseason games would help too.  

58 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I doubt the owners would go for that, too much lost revenue, they would have to start refunding money to season ticket holders 2 and a in-season tournament would be 1 of the stupidest things I've hear heard. Don't they see what NASCAR has done to itself?

I like all of these ideas, personally. First of all: i do think that silver wants to reduce the eastern/western conference model. Play-in tournaments could be a good way to do that. I also think that play-in tournaments could be a way to take the nba more global, so that you aren't having to mess up the season with a play-in tournament.

I also like the idea that you play a home/home against every team once. 58 games, then have a tournament mid-season. Plus, I think not having the allstar game means that it won't affect hall of fame voting going forward for ridiculous ideas.

I think the nba needs to expand the awards for 1/2/3 team to a top 10 players at each position as voted on by the coaches, otherwise Kyle Lowry will be a first ballot all of famer, lol.  

Start the season a week earlier and expand active rosters to 15. Don't burn guys out!

in season tournaments sound pretty bad.  

You could make the first TWO rounds of the playoffs best of 5. 

Stuff they can do that wouldn't effect the integrity of the game.  

58 is too short. I think they should stay with 82, and instead reducing the number of game they increase the number of players. 

The rosters should go to 20 (with 3 players of them being two ways [3 year deals], one of them being a veteran that the salary dont count for salary cap and to be able to have two players,that must be original drafted by the team, that the salaries count only 75% for the salary cap). 

That would allow teams to overpay and keep the stars they got throw draft, help small markets. Every team would want to have a veteran (more than 12 years in the league or over 35 years) and would help the G league with more material.

10 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Start the season a week earlier and expand active rosters to 15. Don't burn guys out!

in season tournaments sound pretty bad.  

You could make the first TWO rounds of the playoffs best of 5. 

Stuff they can do that wouldn't effect the integrity of the game.  

And this

Well, I'm not sure if I understand the in-season tournament idea. Tournament for what? What do you get if you win?

Other than that, I actually have no problem. I have had NBA League Pass for probably 13 out of the last 15 seasons. I rarely watch more than 60 games due to my schedule and personal things. I probably watch closer to mid-40s in recent years. It's becoming harder to justify the cost. I think a lot of people are in that boat especially if you live in an NBA city. Me and some friends were going to split season tix for the Mavs but everybody was afraid they wouldn't make enough games and just waste money. 82 games is a lot of games and that's not counting the "marquee matchups" of the top teams. You could easily watch over 100 games if you try to watch your favorite team all of the time plus the marquee games. 41 home games is a lot of nights especially in the middle of the week. 

With that being said, I would do the following:

• i think reducing games would be fine with me. 58 seems low I could see maintaining the division format and playing non-division teams twice (50 games) and play in division teams like 3 or 4 times for either 62 or 66 games.
  • They would just have to redo the divisional format.
  • For the playoffs, get rid of conferences, take the top 12 teams with the best records and then have play in games for the next 8
  • Move the All-star Game until AFTER the NBA Championship
  • Redo the All-star Weekend- Friday night would be your awards ceremony for MVP, MIP, ROY, ect. Saturday night would be your rookie-soph or whatever game (America vs the world), and Sunday would be the ASG
  • Move FA up to start RIGHT AFTER THE ASG. ASG on Sunday, Free agency starts at midnight on Monday (or Monday at 6pm. They moved it up this year because midnight is too late and a disadvantage on the East coast)
  • Have the draft like 2 weeks after FA starts
  • Limit the lottery to 10 teams
  • Have the SL start like 1 week (or 2) after the draft

The mid season tournament would likely be similar to the Euroleague play. Competition that leads to determing the Euro Champions while keeping internal country league championships. It would probably be the model for the play in tournament they want. So x number of teams gain entry to the year end playoffs based upon placing on the mid season tournament then y number are added based upon full season record. Could make it so a team that gets hot at the middle of the year for eight games during the tournament makes the playoffs, even though they were shinola for most of the ret of the season. It would be a way to get the Knicks into the playoffs 🤫

I need MORE basketball -- not less. Like, 24/7/365.  

I am already on my 2020 Mock Lotto Big Board 5.5.*

I think they need to figure out how to have games in August and September.  Maybe a THIRD league in the summer?  

Adam Silver can then do his play-in thing (September Madness) and maybe even fool with a 4 point line.  They could have international teams.  Call it the Global Basketball Association or something.  

I look forward to the days when 58 games are played, and then players and media are claiming it is too much and they need rest days, maybe a 44 game schedule.  To be followed by a 28 game schedule.

I'm sure there's a historic reason but I don't get why they couldn't stretch the season out, why not start at the beginning of September and finish the regular season towards the end of May? Then you'd be able to get rid of back to backs and give the TV companies more opportunity to show games.

Another positive with this, especially with the 56 game season, would be the fact that the schedule would be the strength of schedule would be balanced. Also, with less games, means that more teams could be vying for the top spot, plus you would have more practice time, and you'd see a lot more competitive games.

The way the season works now, there are a lot of games that just don't matter. I do feel as if: if this is going to happen, ticket prices are going to be going up per game. Probably food prices would be going up as well.

As far as the tv money is concerned, I certainly don't see that as an issue at all, the nba NEEDS to promote more teams anyway. As it is, they only show 5 to 6 teams on a loop, and maybe instead of seeing lerbon and the lakers 15 games in prime time, you are forced to show the suns in prime time. What a nightmare that would be, not getting to watch lebron for the hundredth time.  

6 hours ago, UkGrizz said:

I'm sure there's a historic reason but I don't get why they couldn't stretch the season out, why not start at the beginning of September and finish the regular season towards the end of May? Then you'd be able to get rid of back to backs and give the TV companies more opportunity to show games.

They have moved it up a couple of weeks in recent years and are now starting in mid-October. If they move to the beginning of September, it would put them in direct competition with the NFL and college football. As much as we may be big NBA fans, the NFL and college football (American) still dominate the American sports landscape. Most people think the "real" NBA season doesn't start until the Christmas day games.  Everything up until that point is people getting adjusted to playing again, rookies coming in, etc. By Christmas, most of the noise from the NFL and college football is gone. You have college bowl games and the NFL playoffs will be about to start so it makes for a nice transition for the average sports fan in America. 

Unpopular opinion:

Stretch the season and play the same amount of games. I love the NBA, so I’m all for starting 2 weeks earlier or better yet, end 2-3 weeks later. It would reduce the frequency of the games which is really the problem. No back to backs plus the dead period in sports becomes less.

In fact, start the season a month later AND increase the season by 3 weeks...now the finals end at the end of July. Summer League becomes Fall League. Season starts after Thanksgiving. Also, first round of the playoffs goes back to best of 5.

vote for Grizzness for commish

28 minutes ago, Back2Grizzness said:

Unpopular opinion:

Stretch the season and play the same amount of games. I love the NBA, so I’m all for starting 2 weeks earlier or better yet, end 2-3 weeks later. It would reduce the frequency of the games which is really the problem. No back to backs plus the dead period in sports becomes less.

In fact, start the season a month later AND increase the season by 3 weeks...now the finals end at the end of July. Summer League becomes Fall League. Season starts after Thanksgiving. Also, first round of the playoffs goes back to best of 5.

vote for Grizzness for commish

I think this makes a ton of sense. 

No way it ever would happen. 

I've advocated a shorter season for years. My plan is that teams play every other team twice (58 games) and then your division foes two additional times (8 more games). That means a total of 66 games. Don't allow more than 3 games in a week and completely eliminate back to back games. 

55 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I think this makes a ton of sense. 

No way it ever would happen. 

I've advocated a shorter season for years. My plan is that teams play every other team twice (58 games) and then your division foes two additional times (8 more games). That means a total of 66 games. Don't allow more than 3 games in a week and completely eliminate back to back games. 

B2B cuts costs for teams to have to stay in a city an extra day then you would have scheduling problems, these arenas aren't just used for pro ball. I think they should expand the rosters and if they're trying to cut injuries, good luck with that but the NBA could put in mandatory rest days for all players. I don't think fans would go for that, they want to see the stars and I don't blame them for that. Injuries have always been a problem in sports.

3 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

B2B cuts costs for teams to have to stay in a city an extra day then you would have scheduling problems, these arenas aren't just used for pro ball. I think they should expand the rosters and if they're trying to cut injuries, good luck with that but the NBA could put in mandatory rest days for all players.

As a fan I am always cognizant of team's costs but I am also aware that the second night of a back to back is an inferior product. As a season ticket holder I would prefer to see team's fighting fairly than to see a team collapse from fatigue in the second half as so often happens. 

Your suggestion just cheapens the product universally which isn't an answer in my eyes. 

I would love a one game series playoff for the teams who didn't make the playoffs at end of the year.

The winner of that tournament gets the  1st round pick....second place gets the 2nd ect....

It will completely kill tanking.

8 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

I would love a one game series playoff for the teams who didn't make the playoffs at end of the year.

The winner of that tournament gets the  1st round pick....second place gets the 2nd ect....

It will completely kill tanking.

Not really. Teams could still tank to get Into the playoff, then turn it on once there. 

The only way to eliminate tanking is to relegate the worst teams to the G League and bring up the best G league teams like they do in soccer overseas and that isn’t going to happen here. 

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Not really. Teams could still rank to get Into the playoff, then turn it on. 

You mean  drop out of the playoffs on purpose??

I don't see alot owners doing that especially if is a one game playoff.