Sign in to follow this  
The REF

Who Makes an All Star Appearance First?

The Grizzlies new franchise PG in Ja Morant aka "Ja Buckets" or Memphis former PG Mike Conley?

It'll be nice to watch Ja Buckets develop in Memphis similiar to how MC11 did.

something I had overlooked ...

he gets the ball outta his hands in a HURRY!

lot of zip 

he can also sling it across his body with either hand.

running left with the dribble and send the ball back across his body to the right - using his LEFT hand - without breaking stride -> filthy

looking closer - it doesn't look like he should be able to see less known make some of them... 

watching and re-watching the replays - I KNOW where the ball is going and still shake my head and wonder

1. how did he see that ?

2. How could he try that?

3. he MADE that?

the handles are tight, the shots long range as well as the acrobatic in the paint jaunts ( even without muscle *yet* he seems to be able to finish with contact ... twisting like an airborne cat - but hey points go up)

the dunks are ferocious and once he makes a decision be it pass , shake and step back , or get at the rim - he commits and goes hard. 

pick and roll / pop as either setting the table or having someone else pass him the rock

this guy had fans checking for Murray State at the big dance.

everybody knew and gameplanned for him and he still did his thing

he played his way into the second pick of the draft.

just think how many more plays are going to be available  to him running with real nba talent 

the season can't start back soon enough...

let's.go.

as for the turnovers ...

EVERYBODY with a Grizz jersey on better be ready for the rock to come their way at ANY moment!

😬

with good players on the floor a few of those turnovers could EASILY become assists.

26 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

something I had overlooked ...

he gets the ball outta his hands in a HURRY!

lot of zip 

he can also sling it across his body with either hand.

running left with the dribble and send the ball back across his body to the right - using his LEFT hand - without breaking stride -> filthy

looking closer - it doesn't look like he should be able to see less known make some of them... 

watching and re-watching the replays - I KNOW where the ball is going and still shake my head and wonder

1. how did he see that ?

2. How could he try that?

3. he MADE that?

the handles are tight, the shots long range as well as the acrobatic in the paint jaunts ( even without muscle *yet* he seems to be able to finish with contact ... twisting like an airborne cat - but hey points go up)

the dunks are ferocious and once he makes a decision be it pass , shake and step back , or get at the rim - he commits and goes hard. 

pick and roll / pop as either setting the table or having someone else pass him the rock

this guy had fans checking for Murray State at the big dance.

everybody knew and gameplanned for him and he still did his thing

he played his way into the second pick of the draft.

just think how many more plays are going to be available  to him running with real nba talent 

the season can't start back soon enough...

let's.go.

Highlights aren't everything but man, that kid had the best highlights, like, ever. It's like a combo of Pistol Pete Maravich and Michael Jordan.  

56 minutes ago, Teddy.B said:

I thought this thread was going to be about who first Ja or JJJ? 

it was , I mean it is ...

just watched the highlight vid and got a little / whole lot excited about what the rookie can be

back on topic ... I got Mike .

he has put in work 

his team should be winning

... wondering who he bumps though ... the West is still the West

if the rookie of the year kinda counts as an All-Star nod - it could very well be between Ja and Zion.

Both are set to get as much playing time as possible 

I'll put it this way, if it's within the next 2 years, I say Mike - and I do believe Mike will be an all-star next season in Utah. However, if Mike can't get it done by year 2, I believe he'll begin to decline enough that he wont breakthrough. Ja may take a while to come around. I DO believe he'll be an all-star, but it might not be until year 4-5.

1 minute ago, srmjr23 said:

I'll put it this way, if it's within the next 2 years, I say Mike - and I do believe Mike will be an all-star next season in Utah. However, if Mike can't get it done by year 2, I believe he'll begin to decline enough that he wont breakthrough. Ja may take a while to come around. I DO believe he'll be an all-star, but it might not be until year 4-5.

Just going by this past season's all-star pgs ... who does Mike bump to get the nod?

Keep in mind the whole 'popularity contest' thing ...

Being on a winning squad is part of it ... as long as your squad is one of the more popular ones.

How many casual fans ( ones that do the whole vote multiple times for their favorite guy) even know who Mike is ?

How many televised games does Utah have?

The masses tend to value flash and exposure over all else...  Mike is solid . Mike is not flashy.

NOTE: this is NOT an attack on Mike ... I like Mike ! This is just the way I see things may play out.

Just now, costarica2 said:

F....it .

BOTH  Mike and JA will make it.😎

Rookie of the Year - JA for name recognition and let's be honest - he has some sizzle ... 

I want Mike to make it because we all watched him plug away year after year and people say how underated he is - then those same people -> keep on underating him

9 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Just going by this past season's all-star pgs ... who does Mike bump to get the nod?

Since the AS game doesn't differentiate between PG and SG, and maybe since Klay probably won't...

Did y'all forget we are memphis? 

the grizzlies won't get an allstar until they are playoff contenders, which is about 5 years down the road. By then there won't be an allstar game.

Just now, Kevin B Moses said:

the grizzlies won't get an allstar until they are playoff contenders, which is about 5 years down the road. 

So... you think Mike has a better chance getting the nod coming in from Utah ?

If so - who's spot is he taking?

3 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Since the AS game doesn't differentiate between PG and SG, and maybe since Klay probably won't...

I did not even think about that ... 

right just guards

do the fan's votes still carry the most weight?

or have they figured out a way for the coaches and players to vote deserved players in ?

1 minute ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Absolutely he does. And you say that like you think conley isn't better than those guys, which he is. You pick.

9 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

He does in my mind too. Established respected team, educated fan base, should be a very good team. With that being said, I hope Ja is so good people can’t deny him what he earns.

Mike Conley should have been an All Star here.

14 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

the grizzlies won't get an allstar until they are playoff contenders, which is about 5 years down the road. By then there won't be an allstar game.

We had hard times getting them as contenders with deserving players.

5 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

We had hard times getting them as contenders with deserving players.

Yeah. Like I said in a previous post, Mike did nothing but help memphis, and he never tooted his own horn like Dame did, and while he had a few playoff dud games, never to the level of Dame, Harden, Lowry, Westbrook. Mike always showed up and he nearly beat a kawhi led team by himself.

Mike was great both on and off the court. He deserved more, but we are probably one of the least followed pro franchises , we are growing and learning how to be fans. It takes population and being seen to be an All Star.

57 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

It's safe to say Klay Thompson won't be on the All-Star roster this year, and because of the flexible position spots on the All-Star selections, it isn't hurting that Durant will be out.  Conley's window is open this year, especially as CP3 is aging out.  Although, he could be out shadowed by Donovan Mitchell or CJ McCollum.  It all depends on the record.  

It would be interesting to see how many WC guards from the All-Star teams during Conley's time WON'T be Hall of Fame guys.

Curry - HOF

Kobe - HOF

CP3 - HOF

Harden - HOF

Dame - probably

Klay Thompson - probably

Westbrook - HOF

Meanwhile, Dragic and D'Angelo Russell are making it from the East.

11 hours ago, The REF said:

The Grizzlies new franchise PG in Ja Morant aka "Ja Buckets" or Memphis former PG Mike Conley?

Reading Toke’s observations and watching this clip have made me appreciate the Clarke pick even more.

15 hours ago, The REF said:

That pass at 4:09 😥