Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agency Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

The salary cap is set at 115 instead of the projected 116, so not a big difference at all. 

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

The salary cap dropping a little might help us this year in fact because the luxury tax is also lowering meaning some teams will now be over the line or further over the line. We have about 36 million in expiring contracts to use. 

The salary cap has not been set. That is a projection, an estimate. It won't be set until the fiscal year is over which is the end of June. That's why there is a moratorium on signing players at the beginning of July until the finances are worked out.

They have a good idea and are probably pretty close but saying that it is set is not accurate. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all aboard the bringing back Noah bandwagon. Obviously, would have to make some moves to free up the roster spot, but our team has great energy, and Noah would be a perfect addition to that. His energy would turn us up to 11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

He can rebound and supposedly hit the 3 too.  That would be great, although he is out now with an injury.  Ideally, we can get him on a 2 way contract.

I am also looking at Xavier Tillman although I would be SHOCKED if he is there in the mid-40's.  He is lower on SOME draft boards but he does a lot of good stuff.  

Udoka Azubuike, N'faly Dante, and Nick Richards are some "name guys" who can give you dunks, boards, and blocks.  

We should look at 3 and D wing types too, but I think those guys will go way higher.

My "best of breed shooter" that I would probably take mid-first round would be Markus Howard.  Even though we are loaded at point guard I actually think he would be a good 6th man instant-offense guy for us.

Still like Tres Tinkle (kinda) but he ain't much of an athlete.  Probably not really a defender though, but he can score, has range, and has a pretty good all-around floor game.  

I think that Xavier Tillman/Markus Howard/Tres Tinkle should all be looked at starting in the late lotto but most of those guys are mocked mid/late second round.

If we get the Warriors 2nd round pick to go with that Suns' second rounder I would CONSIDER using BOTH of those picks to trade up -- we probably need an oversized 3 more than another 2 guard, but I might take a flyer on Scottie Lewis if he falls out of the lottery.

If we stay in the second round BUT have multiple picks, I would swing for the fences with one of those picks on Makur Maker or some flashy "hit/miss" prospect like that.

 

I have a feeling they are looking at Cassius Stanley from Duke with a late first and young big that be developed to rim run, block and rebound 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, QMemphis said:

I have a feeling they are looking at Cassius Stanley from Duke with a late first and young big that be developed to rim run, block and rebound 

Who's got a late first?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

The salary cap is set at 115 instead of the projected 116, so not a big difference at all. 

It is a big difference for teams struggling to get out of tax hell. Remember we got rid of Rudy Gay just to duck under the tax line by less than $1M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Who's got a late first?

This front office has shown if a player on their board drops they will go get him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, QMemphis said:

This front office has shown if a player on their board drops they will go get him. 

Yeah, but our pick is going to Boston.  We don't have a late first that I'm aware of.  Are you just showing that you're confident that they'll make a deal to get a late first?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

The salary cap has not been set. That is a projection, an estimate. It won't be set until the fiscal year is over which is the end of June. That's why there is a moratorium on signing players at the beginning of July until the finances are worked out.

They have a good idea and are probably pretty close but saying that it is set is not accurate. 

 

They are accurate when they give their "projections." Obviously this year they had to update it, but unless they are some completely different set of circumstances like this year, they are more or less accurate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Yeah, but our pick is going to Boston.  We don't have a late first that I'm aware of.  Are you just showing that you're confident that they'll make a deal to get a late first?

I believe they leverage what they get in the Iggy deal to move up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=t4rbgup

Dallas get Iguodala

Portland get Dedmon, Crowder

Sacramento get Lee, Bruno

Memphis gets Whiteside, Por future 1st, GSW 2nd

Portland does this to get under the tax and still receive two rotation players. Dallas is said to be pursuing Iggy and Sac is dumping Dedmon.

Whiteside could then be possibly traded for Hayward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dwash said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=t4rbgup

Dallas get Iguodala

Portland get Dedmon, Crowder

Sacramento get Lee, Bruno

Memphis gets Whiteside, Por future 1st, GSW 2nd

Portland does this to get under the tax and still receive two rotation players. Dallas is said to be pursuing Iggy and Sac is dumping Dedmon.

Whiteside could then be possibly traded for Hayward.

Well this is obviously a miracle trade. I suppose these trades are out there. I just doubt they'll happen. I'm starting to sweat a bit that they're going to get left holding the bag on this. Hopefully they know what they're doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 11:26 AM, GrizzTigerFan said:

Agreed.  I really wouldn't mind using a 2nd rounder on a Center this summer.   Basically have a guy developed and ready to go when Jonas deal comes up. 

I actually want the Grizzlies to find a way to get Precious Achiuwa 

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/precious-achiuwa/

He could back up Jaren, play with Brandon Clarke and be developed as a small ball center...  Athletic, long 7'3" length... With Jaren Jackson, Josh Jackson, Brandon and Achiuwa our forward rotation would be set...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Well this is obviously a miracle trade. I suppose these trades are out there. I just doubt they'll happen. I'm starting to sweat a bit that they're going to get left holding the bag on this. Hopefully they know what they're doing.

Why sweat?  We already won the trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Grizzhype said:

I actually want the Grizzlies to find a way to get Precious Achiuwa 


https://www.nbadraft.net/players/precious-achiuwa/

He could back up Jaren, play with Brandon Clarke and be developed as a small ball center...  Athletic, long 7'3" length... With Jaren Jackson, Josh Jackson, Brandon and Achiuwa our forward rotation would be set...  

I'd rather develop Precious as a Big SF.   Imagine having a Starting Lineup of Ja + DB + Achiuwa + Jaren + Jonas.   We need a big athletic wing to combat the Kawhi's and  PG's of the world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I'd rather develop Precious as a Big SF.   Imagine having a Starting Lineup of Ja + DB + Achiuwa + Jaren + Jonas.   We need a big athletic wing to combat the Kawhi's and  PG's of the world. 

With that core you could also go with Ja/Dillon/Achiuwa/Clarke/Jaren but Achiuwa and Clarke would have to work on their jumpers.  Achiuwa might need to develop a Euro step too.  

If Achiuwa falls he might be worth trading up for (ignore my other post in another thread where I would only trade DOWN) if I didn’t get Wiseman.  

But even if we drafted Achiuwa, Jonas would still be a long-term keeper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I'd rather develop Precious as a Big SF.   Imagine having a Starting Lineup of Ja + DB + Achiuwa + Jaren + Jonas.   We need a big athletic wing to combat the Kawhi's and  PG's of the world. 

 

25 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

With that core you could also go with Ja/Dillon/Achiuwa/Clarke/Jaren but Achiuwa and Clarke would have to work on their jumpers.  Achiuwa might need to develop a Euro step too.  

If Achiuwa falls he might be worth trading up for (ignore my other post in another thread where I would only trade DOWN) if I didn’t get Wiseman.  

But even if we drafted Achiuwa, Jonas would still be a long-term keeper.

Deni Avdija might be the player to draft, but I like Achiuwa too. I dont know if we will have a draft at the end of the season after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

With that core you could also go with Ja/Dillon/Achiuwa/Clarke/Jaren but Achiuwa and Clarke would have to work on their jumpers.  Achiuwa might need to develop a Euro step too.  

If Achiuwa falls he might be worth trading up for (ignore my other post in another thread where I would only trade DOWN) if I didn’t get Wiseman.  

But even if we drafted Achiuwa, Jonas would still be a long-term keeper.

Yea keep Jonas length of his contract at least. 

Doubt Achiuwa falls far enough for us to get him in this weak draft.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we get the gsw 2nd or a 1st to go along with our pick .  I'd look at green, nwora, Stewart, Precious.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

If we get the gsw 2nd or a 1st to go along with our pick .  I'd look at green, nwora, Stewart, Precious.

 

Nwora might be there in the 2nd round.  Unless someone falls then we would have to trade UP (at least a bit) for Josh Green/Achiuwa/Isaiah Stewart.  I like all 3 of those guys, especially outside of the lottery.  I wouldn't be shocked if those guys go top 10 though, then they will be hard to get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got 2 first round draft picks for the Mike Conley to Utah trade. One of those picks was for Brandon Clarke, what year is the other?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, GoGrizz! said:

We got 2 first round draft picks for the Mike Conley to Utah trade. One of those picks was for Brandon Clarke, what year is the other?

Utah's 1st round pick to Memphis protected for selections 1-7 and 15-30 in 2020

1-7 and 15-30 in 2021

1-6 in 2022

1-3 in 2023

1 in 2024;

if Utah has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Memphis by 2024, then Utah will instead convey its 2025 2nd round pick and 2026 2nd round pick to Memphis [Memphis-Utah, 7/6/2019]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooo if the Grizzlies don't trade any future first round picks, they could very well get two very good first round picks in 2023 and 2024. Or potentially three first round picks in 2024?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect the FO is in a really tricky predicament regarding Crowder. They know this thing could go South after the break with the tough schedule. But if they beat the Pistons and the Mavs w/o Doncic they will be sitting at 26-25 on deadline day. They trade Crowder and leave the door open for Ja/JJJ to blame them for their second half struggles. A mistrust you dont want to build early on. But a FRP is hard to look away if they can score one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this