Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agency Thread

10 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I thought about him.  Thin frame but skilled. Wouldn’t mind rounding out our big man core. Even if we keep Bruno we could still use another young big man (and probably a backup veteran center). 

And if we add bigs we either need to get ‘em real cheap as free agents or draft them (but maybe don’t over draft). 

I think Giles could bulk up over time and he is a skilled passer too.   If we sign Giles then im letting Bruno go this summer.   If we signed Giles i wouldn't want another true center.  I think jaren and Jonas would get lions share of Center minutes anyway. 

Giles could be a cheap pickup like Christian Wood and Richaun Holmes were.   Spend rest money on retaining Melton, Dillon and either Solo or Jae.   Then use capspace for any other moves. 

I'd look for a more vet big with experience as the 4th big to be honest I think the team is real close to good on young talent and everyone seems to mesh well don't need a young guy with a chip on his shoulder trying to prove he's something he's not.  

You brought up Christian Wood well he's an unrestricted FA this summer just sign him on a cheap deal

For all these vet minimum type guys, I'm now looking at them through the Solomon Hill lens.

Given any FA or Hill on a minimum salary, who would I rather have?

Assuming Hill is not a problem in the locker room, I think I would take Hill over Christian Wood.

I would take Hill over Caboclo.

I would take Jae (and several others) over Hill, but Jae is not a minimum salary guy.  I think Solomon Hill will be.

That's not a ringing endorsement, and maybe he can get more than that, but for me, he's the standard for minimum level guys.

49 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I'd look for a more vet big with experience as the 4th big to be honest I think the team is real close to good on young talent and everyone seems to mesh well don't need a young guy with a chip on his shoulder trying to prove he's something he's not.  

You brought up Christian Wood well he's an unrestricted FA this summer just sign him on a cheap deal

Christian Wood is 24y old and actually has been productive but he doesn't have any type of girth.  He would be more expensive than Giles.    I think Kyle O'Quinn is a UFA this summer.   He would fit the bill

43 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

For all these vet minimum type guys, I'm now looking at them through the Solomon Hill lens.

Given any FA or Hill on a minimum salary, who would I rather have?

Assuming Hill is not a problem in the locker room, I think I would take Hill over Christian Wood.

I would take Hill over Caboclo.

I would take Jae (and several others) over Hill, but Jae is not a minimum salary guy.  I think Solomon Hill will be.

That's not a ringing endorsement, and maybe he can get more than that, but for me, he's the standard for minimum level guys.

We need a 3rd true Big over another SF.   If we resign Crowder then Solo goes.  If we don't then resign Solo.   But that is a good point that Solo would def be cheaper option and he is a year younger than Crowder too. 

Ideally the Iggy trade brings us back a backup true big or SF.   

4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

What about Harry Giles this summer?  Kings didn't pick up his option.    He is a 6'11' PF/C only 22y  is injury prone so perfect as backup C.  

this is actually a really good idea

1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

this is also a very good option instead of giles

4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

What about Harry Giles this summer?  Kings didn't pick up his option.    He is a 6'11' PF/C only 22y  is injury prone so perfect as backup C.  

What about Jahlil Okafor?

He can easily be got as a FA

3 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

What about Jahlil Okafor?

He can easily be got as a FA

as long as he rebounds and defends, he's got the right size/girth compared to giles or wood.  would also reunite him w/ tyus and allen with built in chemistry there.  how much do you think he'll be seeking/getting?

8 minutes ago, grizz09 said:

as long as he rebounds and defends, he's got the right size/girth compared to giles or wood.  would also reunite him w/ tyus and allen with built in chemistry there.  how much do you think he'll be seeking/getting?

he is cheap, he is on 1.6mil and has been basically riding the pine except in a few games, and most recently last game put up big numbers. If need arises to give him big mins, he can play.

And Jaren or Brandon aren't  forced out of necessities to cover that position when  Jonas is sitting. 

Would also allow Jonas and Brandon to play together in the rotation

2 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

he is cheap, he is on 1.6mil and has been basically riding the pine except in a few games, and most recently last game put up big numbers. If need arises to give him big mins, he can play

i actually really like the idea.  and he can score back to the basket like jonas and even face-up.  maybe 2-3/10-15?  dunno if that's too much or what his market will be.

12 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

he is cheap, he is on 1.6mil and has been basically riding the pine except in a few games, and most recently last game put up big numbers. If need arises to give him big mins, he can play.

And Jaren or Brandon aren't  forced out of necessities to cover that position when  Jonas is sitting. 

Would also allow Jonas and Brandon to play together in the rotation

Okafor is too similar to Jonas for me.   I want a Big that is more mobile and defensive oriented.   Jonas has traditional Center role on lock.   Jaren is unicorn.  Now we need an athletic type that can defend.     Bismayck could be a cheap option too. 

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Okafor is too similar to Jonas for me.   I want a Big that is more mobile and defensive oriented.   Jonas has traditional Center role on lock.   Jaren is unicorn.  Now we need an athletic type that can defend.     Bismayck could be a cheap option too. 

Yeah maybe, he's on 17mil now, he won't get that again, but I doubt he'd be dirt cheap.

But I like that he'd be good at protecting the rim

I can't say I'm real excited to pick up any FA that has their current or past team saying, "Not interested".

I'd want to know why are Okafor and Harry Giles not wanted by their team, especially Giles.

Why has Christian Wood been passed around by several teams?

I completely believe that sometimes it has nothing to do with the franchise, but it takes a guy a few years to finally "get it" and realize that they are about to be gone from the league (James Johnson, Mo Speights, DeMarre Carroll are 3 Grizz related guys that figured it out later after their early teams saw little incentive to keep them around).

However, most the time those guys aren't wanted by the team for a reason and their soon out of the league.

3 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I can't say I'm real excited to pick up any FA that has their current or past team saying, "Not interested".

I'd want to know why are Okafor and Harry Giles not wanted by their team, especially Giles.

Why has Christian Wood been passed around by several teams?

I completely believe that sometimes it has nothing to do with the franchise, but it takes a guy a few years to finally "get it" and realize that they are about to be gone from the league (James Johnson, Mo Speights, DeMarre Carroll are 3 Grizz related guys that figured it out later after their early teams saw little incentive to keep them around).

However, most the time those guys aren't wanted by the team for a reason and their soon out of the league.

I dont know that the Pelicans are not interested in keeping him.

No one was interested in him before the Pelicans picked him up, that is true, probably because of his injury history, but that seems to have resolved itself.

Keeping Solo Man over Jae Crowder would mean that we would have extra money to spend/waste on the back end of our bench. But, it would ALSO mean that we would have to pick up a starter-quality small forward.  

Hopefully Bruno shows us more of what he did towards the end of last season.  Guys with that length and athleticism don't come cheap.  He's good as a 4th/5th big man.  Then we can either sign an older veteran big man or just draft one in the 2nd round.

As far as free agents go, Tacko Fall, Marvin Williams, Mason Plumlee, PJ Tucker, Jared Dudley, Troy Daniels, Kostas Freak, Derrick Jones, Jr., JJ Redick, Kenny Wooten, Carmelo Anthony, Rudy Gay, and Marc Gasol sound interesting.

15 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Nerlens Noel could be a decent pick up that could run in TJ's system catch lobs, defend the rim, and rebound.

It's weird cause normally with grizz teams there are guys that can be easily replaced this team has gelled so well that I'm not sure who the replaceable guys are other than Bruno and Marko( who I think will be better next year it takes euro wings a little longer to adjust) 

36 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Is Minnesota starting to clear the deck?

Both Graham and Teague have been pretty awful, so I don't think this is necessarily a "throwing in the towel" move for them. Seems like they might try and make a play for DLo (thought I'm not sure with what assets).

1 hour ago, ACGrizz said:

Both Graham and Teague have been pretty awful, so I don't think this is necessarily a "throwing in the towel" move for them. Seems like they might try and make a play for DLo (thought I'm not sure with what assets).

They got plenty of picks and young guys. Just depends what GS wants. Crabbe, Covington, a couple 1sts might do it. Roco is on a great contract for a few years after this so that's got to be the main piece. 

Edit, Crabbe can't be traded in combination with another player. Dieng works. I think the warriors want to dump Cauley-Stein anyway. 

On 1/16/2020 at 3:15 PM, ACGrizz said:

What's Teague been so bad at?  He's their third leading scorer, and he's been that mostly off the bench playing less minutes.

6 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

There goes plan C.   Guess Front Office didn't want to help a squad fighting for playoff spot against us.   

I'd look to give Iggy to whoever wants him I think we've all been listening to Memphis media too much and think there are suitors for Iggy when in actuality there may not be. Portland went and got Ariza when they could have done a similar trade or the same trade for Iggy that's pretty telling to me 

27 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I'd look to give Iggy to whoever wants him I think we've all been listening to Memphis media too much and think there are suitors for Iggy when in actuality there may not be. Portland went and got Ariza when they could have done a similar trade or the same trade for Iggy that's pretty telling to me 

The Portland deal was purely financial. They have the highest payroll in the league and were  well into the luxury tax. The Iiggy deal would have not given them the financial savings they were looking for: