Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agency Thread

On 1/16/2020 at 3:15 PM, ACGrizz said:

Both Graham and Teague have been pretty awful, so I don't think this is necessarily a "throwing in the towel" move for them. Seems like they might try and make a play for DLo (thought I'm not sure with what assets).

What's Teague been so bad at?  He's their third leading scorer, and he's been that mostly off the bench playing less minutes.

6 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

There goes plan C.   Guess Front Office didn't want to help a squad fighting for playoff spot against us.   

I'd look to give Iggy to whoever wants him I think we've all been listening to Memphis media too much and think there are suitors for Iggy when in actuality there may not be. Portland went and got Ariza when they could have done a similar trade or the same trade for Iggy that's pretty telling to me 

27 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I'd look to give Iggy to whoever wants him I think we've all been listening to Memphis media too much and think there are suitors for Iggy when in actuality there may not be. Portland went and got Ariza when they could have done a similar trade or the same trade for Iggy that's pretty telling to me 

The Portland deal was purely financial. They have the highest payroll in the league and were  well into the luxury tax. The Iiggy deal would have not given them the financial savings they were looking for:

A lot of people seem to believe that deal is to help them get Kevin Love (lowering the tax bill for Portland). Whiteside (plus picks, player, etc) for love. Then they'd have to hope Nurkic comes back soon. 

Didnt know Nerlens Noel had become such a defensive beast.  Last two years he has a drpm of 5.5....better than Rudy Goberts in both years.  He is also posting a 23.3 per and a 71% TS.  He is a UFA this offseason.  A backup that can change a game defensively is worth 8 digits.

6 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Didnt know Nerlens Noel had become such a defensive beast.  Last two years he has a drpm of 5.5....better than Rudy Goberts in both years.  He is also posting a 23.3 per and a 71% TS.  He is a UFA this offseason.  A backup that can change a game defensively is worth 8 digits.

I feel like his game and Clarke's games are too similar. I like him, but OKC is also going to do their best to keep him. 

4 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

I feel like his game and Clarke's games are too similar. I like him, but OKC is also going to do their best to keep him. 

Agreed.  I really wouldn't mind using a 2nd rounder on a Center this summer.   Basically have a guy developed and ready to go when Jonas deal comes up. 

10 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

They have no bird rights so he is fair game.  They might have a little cap room (like 9 or 10 million after draft picks) but they cant hang with us.

A center that can shoot would good with Clarke since he likes to roll to the hoop...but where you gone find a backup center that can shoot and play defense lol. I think you just have to pick one or the other (shooting or defense) and go from there.

3 minutes ago, Dwash said:

They have no bird rights so he is fair game.  They might have a little cap room (like 9 or 10 million after draft picks) but they cant hang with us.

A center that can shoot would good with Clarke since he likes to roll to the hoop...but where you gone find a backup center that can shoot and play defense lol. I think you just have to pick one or the other (shooting or defense) and go from there.

I hope you weren't insinuating that noel can shoot. Noel has attempted like 5 3s in his career. They both roll to the rim almost exclusively. Clarke can hit an outside shot occasionally, but not a big time threat. Defensively he's good, but so is Clarke. Jaren is going to play more center going forward, so I really don't think we need one. You have 3 guys that can play it, maybe you get a vet min guy as insurance, but that's about it. 

19 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Agreed.  I really wouldn't mind using a 2nd rounder on a Center this summer.   Basically have a guy developed and ready to go when Jonas deal comes up. 

I think you're exactly right. Someone you can bring along slowly, but has upside. Should be available in the second round easily. 

2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I think you're exactly right. Someone you can bring along slowly, but has upside. Should be available in the second round easily. 

Charles Bassey should get a look 

38 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

tenor.gif

So many things have lined up perfectly for the Grizz recently that i am starting to wonder if FO performed a blood sacrifice!!!

On an unrelated note:  Has anyone seen Chris Wallace around town??

4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

So many things have lined up perfectly for the Grizz recently that i am starting to wonder if FO performed a blood sacrifice!!!

On an unrelated note:  Has anyone seen Chris Wallace around town??

CW? No.

BUT, Pera was at the Nuggets game the other night.

5 hours ago, Ursine Mammal said:

I saw that -- was just about to post.

I am thinking that we should pretty much just try to keep our core guys and our rotation guys then only spend money on MLE guys and minimum contract players in free agency.

UNLESS we can have a mega signing like Giannis, Luka, Zion, Jokic, or another one-name player.

On 1/24/2020 at 1:51 PM, QMemphis said:

Charles Bassey should get a look 

He can rebound and supposedly hit the 3 too.  That would be great, although he is out now with an injury.  Ideally, we can get him on a 2 way contract.

I am also looking at Xavier Tillman although I would be SHOCKED if he is there in the mid-40's.  He is lower on SOME draft boards but he does a lot of good stuff.  

Udoka Azubuike, N'faly Dante, and Nick Richards are some "name guys" who can give you dunks, boards, and blocks.  

We should look at 3 and D wing types too, but I think those guys will go way higher.

My "best of breed shooter" that I would probably take mid-first round would be Markus Howard.  Even though we are loaded at point guard I actually think he would be a good 6th man instant-offense guy for us.

Still like Tres Tinkle (kinda) but he ain't much of an athlete.  Probably not really a defender though, but he can score, has range, and has a pretty good all-around floor game.  

I think that Xavier Tillman/Markus Howard/Tres Tinkle should all be looked at starting in the late lotto but most of those guys are mocked mid/late second round.

If we get the Warriors 2nd round pick to go with that Suns' second rounder I would CONSIDER using BOTH of those picks to trade up -- we probably need an oversized 3 more than another 2 guard, but I might take a flyer on Scottie Lewis if he falls out of the lottery.

If we stay in the second round BUT have multiple picks, I would swing for the fences with one of those picks on Makur Maker or some flashy "hit/miss" prospect like that.

My fantasy would be for the grizzly to somehow get Taurean Prince. That guy would be perfect for this team, but with Kyrie Irving acting a fool I doubt that's going to happen.

The salary cap dropping a little might help us this year in fact because the luxury tax is also lowering meaning some teams will now be over the line or further over the line. We have about 36 million in expiring contracts to use.