Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agency Thread

34 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

So do we have an asset to acquire him?

He ain't worth a first by any stretch, Josh Jackson and a second if they are willing to part with him. He just doesn't look like he's in there future plans given his role post Fizdale. If they want more than that, just move along. Maybe you could just do Grayson Allen for him, but I might even prefer Allen at this point. 

1 hour ago, QMemphis said:

If NY offered Knox for Brooks we take that deal in a hot second. Brooks is solid and is at best a 6th man scorer. Knox is a starting wing who brings versatility and has two years left on his rookie deal. 

I can see both sides to this argument 

1 hour ago, toocoolkellz said:

So do we have an asset to acquire him?

We'd have to add salary, otherwise the trade wouldn't be legal. Do you mean an inferior player and extra salary won't be enough to entice NY?

15 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Melton wasn't playing for the suns

Yes he was. He started 31 games for the Suns as a rookie. He played more minutes a game on averaged for the Suns than he has for the Grizzlies this season. 

26 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Melton wasn't playing for the suns

Not to pile on you too much, but I think their fans really liked Melton. That's also normal development for a player to go from lightly used to a bigger role in their second year. Knox went from semi major role to much less of a role this year. Not what you would want to happen. 

33 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

classic bs

I am going to take the high road here and assume it was ignorance not BS. Maybe he didn't realize Melton played as much as he did for Phoenix. 

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Yes he was. He started 31 games for the Suns as a rookie. He played more minutes a game on averaged for the Suns than he has for the Grizzlies this season. 

It was worth a shot lol

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I am going to take the high road here and assume it was ignorance not BS. Maybe he didn't realize Melton played as much as he did for Phoenix. 

I really didn't but he also said Marc Jackson was mediocre at GS so I don't get too reactive to what he says.

So what about getting in the mix with the Kevin Love trades (something must happen there) as facilitators with our expirings?

In my mind, the Cavs need to get rid of Love's contract desperately if they want to rebuild something. The key with these options is how badly they actually want to do it and how much they think they can get in return, but I think Love's one is a really terrible contract for the Cavs situation right now and not a very attractive one for the rest of the league (a lot of money and a lot of years remaining for a 31 years old player that, although still very useful, is not getting any better), so here are a couple of ideas:

OPTION #1

GRIZZLIES GET: Bazemore, Rodney Hood, Labissiere or Zach Collins and Milwaukee's 2022 1st via Cleveland for Iguodala and Crowder.

BLAZERS GET: Kevin Love for Bazemore, Rodney Hood, Labissiere or Zach Collins

CAVS GET: 90+ million $ in savings and might get something for Crowder in a separate deal (I'm assuming they buy AI out) for Love and Bucks' 2022 1st.

OPTION #2 

GRIZZLIES GET: Tyler Johnson, Aron Baynes, Suns' 2022 2nd and Milwaukee's 2022 1st via Cleveland for Iguodala and Crowder.

SUNS GET: Kevin Love for Tyler Johnson, Aron Baynes and 2022 2nd

CAVS GET: 90+ million $ in savings and might get something for Crowder in a separate deal (I'm assuming they buy AI out) for Love and Bucks' 2022 1st.

I'm including Suns' 2022 2nd in this scenario because that trade would make them a better team and therefore less likely to have a high 2nd in 2021, so that pick would go to Brooklyn instead of us.

* We might include cash considerations or some other soft sweetener to be a part of any of both deals, in order to prevent Cleveland and its counterpart to make the deal without us.

3 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

Aren't you the same guy that said Marc Jackson was mediocre as Golden States coach?

You seem firmly in team Church instead of team Coach. Those GS teams were held back by MJ. They were a mess. Every time they they were in big moments, they'd turn the ball over. Imagine being so bad at XOs you hold 3 HOFs back from making it to the WCF. Not that any of this matters, in relation to what the original point was. You flatly said Melton didn't play for PHX, which is a ridiculous statement. I'm not surprised that you would try to deflect the issue to another when you get called out for BS, as I call it, or put in nicer terms by Chip and others. 

13 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

You seem firmly in team Church instead of team Coach. Those GS teams were held back by MJ. They were a mess. Every time they they were in big moments, they'd turn the ball over. Imagine being so bad at XOs you hold 3 HOFs back from making it to the WCF. Not that any of this matters, in relation to what the original point was. You flatly said Melton didn't play for PHX, which is a ridiculous statement. I'm not surprised that you would try to deflect the issue to another when you get called out for BS, as I call it, or put in nicer terms by Chip and others. 

I only went at you because you popped off at the mouth but said something crazy a while back. I'm not Christian or religious nor is that relevant. The reality is that MJ took a team and turned it around and imagine getting blamed for turnovers and you're the coach.  Yes I made a mistake but don't throw stones if you're living in glass houses 

4 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

I only went at you because you popped off at the mouth but said something crazy a while back. I'm not Christian or religious nor is that relevant. The reality is that MJ took a team and turned it around and imagine getting blamed for turnovers and you're the coach.  Yes I made a mistake but don't throw stones if you're living in glass houses 

But...he didn't turn them around. Steph Curry and Klay Thompson and Draymond did. But only after MJ left and Steve Kurr started coaching the team. I don't consider this a glass house, but I'm done. You win.

4 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

But...he didn't turn them around. Steph Curry and Klay Thompson and Draymond did. But only after MJ left and Steve Kurr started coaching the team. I don't consider this a glass house, but I'm done. You win.

I would say Jackson did turn them around. He made a team that didnt look very promising defensively a pretty good defensive team. What Kerr unlocked was the offense.  Jackson was stuck on making Curry a pure pg. Kerr decided it was better that others facilitated.

4 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

In three seasons, Jackson compiled a 121-109 record (.526) and twice guided Golden State to the postseason. The Warriors' 2013 first-round victory over the Nuggets marked just the second time the franchise has advanced in the playoffs since 1991. Golden State went 51-31 in 2013-14, its first 50-win season since 1993-94. In three years he took them from a 20 win team to a 50 win team. Sure he had talent but very few coaches can win without talent. Just look at Steve this year and he still has Russell 

14 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

Aren't you the same guy that said Marc Jackson was mediocre as Golden States coach?

But...He was though. 

11 hours ago, misae said:

So what about getting in the mix with the Kevin Love trades (something must happen there) as facilitators with our expirings?

In my mind, the Cavs need to get rid of Love's contract desperately if they want to rebuild something. The key with these options is how badly they actually want to do it and how much they think they can get in return, but I think Love's one is a really terrible contract for the Cavs situation right now and not a very attractive one for the rest of the league (a lot of money and a lot of years remaining for a 31 years old player that, although still very useful, is not getting any better), so here are a couple of ideas:

OPTION #1

GRIZZLIES GET: Bazemore, Rodney Hood, Labissiere or Zach Collins and Milwaukee's 2022 1st via Cleveland for Iguodala and Crowder.

BLAZERS GET: Kevin Love for Bazemore, Rodney Hood, Labissiere or Zach Collins

OPTION #2 

GRIZZLIES GET: Tyler Johnson, Aron Baynes, Suns' 2022 2nd and Milwaukee's 2022 1st via Cleveland for Iguodala and Crowder.

SUNS GET: Kevin Love for Tyler Johnson, Aron Baynes and 2022 2nd

I'm including Suns' 2022 2nd in this scenario because that trade would make them a better team and therefore less likely to have a high 2nd in 2021, so that pick would go to Brooklyn instead of us.

* We might include cash considerations or some other soft sweetener to be a part of any of both deals, in order to prevent Cleveland and its counterpart to make the deal without us.

Ain’t nobody tryna take on all that money for those trash picks. It would take multiple mid first round picks for anyone to take on that much, not to mention that would kill the franchises ability to build. 

11 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

throw a bag at Davis Bertans 

Throw a bag at Bertans and Joe Harris. 

31 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

In three seasons, Jackson compiled a 121-109 record (.526) and twice guided Golden State to the postseason. The Warriors' 2013 first-round victory over the Nuggets marked just the second time the franchise has advanced in the playoffs since 1991. Golden State went 51-31 in 2013-14, its first 50-win season since 1993-94. In three years he took them from a 20 win team to a 50 win team. Sure he had talent but very few coaches can win without talent. Just look at Steve this year and he still has Russell 

What they do in the playoffs though? Cause wit the same talent Steve Kerr won a chip. 

He did make Steph but he hindered Draymond and Klay in favor of playing traditional with Bogut and David Lee. 

3 hours ago, King Dork said:

What they do in the playoffs though? Cause wit the same talent Steve Kerr won a chip. 

He did make Steph but he hindered Draymond and Klay in favor of playing traditional with Bogut and David Lee. 

So are you suggesting taking a 20 win team to a playoff birth is mediocre because a fairly new constructed team didn't win a championship from day 1? Are you suggesting that because Steve was able to win a championship that means that Jackson was a bad coach? Now the conversation between he and I had nothing to do with Kerr,  it was him saying that Jackson was a bad coach. It's no way you can say they didn't get better under Jackson and if you did it's complete bs as the other gentleman stated. Simply put the other gentleman stated Jackson was a trash coach but their record under him suggests otherwise. I ask you, did they get better?