Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agency Thread

Trade thought. Portland needs wings that can defend. Crowder, Brooks, Iggy for Collins, Little, Bazemore, 2020 1st.  A stretch big, wing prospect and a likely mid first rounder.

4 hours ago, Dwash said:

Trade thought. Portland needs wings that can defend. Crowder, Brooks, Iggy for Collins, Little, Bazemore, 2020 1st.  A stretch big, wing prospect and a likely mid first rounder.

I think Portland like Collins and I think the money works without him and Brooks in the deal.  

39 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Zach lavine and Markanen may be on the trade block 

What do you think they will cost? Because I can't think of a reasonable scenario where they would be worth the cost for a team like us. Lavine is awesome on offense but can't defend anyone. Despite his limitations, he is a high profile player. We'd have to pile up picks to get him, which I'm not interested in doing....for him.

12 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Don't know if anyone noticed, but we need wings who can defend too.

Well we can go back to Kyle at SF since you and a few otherd said he was a better player for the position than Crowder all Summer long. Lol.

But yeah, we would have several months to figure it out. You hopefully get a prospect in the trade (like Little) and another pick where maybe you can draft one or two wings this Summer. Then you have the chance to absorb a bad contract who maybe still useful on a short term basis. Always a few of them moving. Then there is free agency. Plenty of chances here to get/develop wings so not losing sleep over Crowder. Getting his value up and trading him should have always been the plan and its working beautifully.

The three free agent targets I like over the next two years are Rodney Hood (Mississippi man), Kelly Olynk and Otto Porter (Sikeston, Missouri man). They all have club options for next year.  Hood at 6 million is a sure bet to opt out. Olynk at 13.5 million is a 50/50. Porter at 27.5 million is unlikely but you never know. Either way, you have a 2-3 year free agency window to sign guys. I like these guys cause they are not considered defensive liabilities and can shoot.

I hope they dont tie big dollars in shooters that cant defend like a Beasley, Joe Harris, or Bodganovic (love his offense though). Or worse a stretch big that cant defend. Looks good at first, but you eventually regret these deals when its time to win in the playoffs. Like the Rockets did with Ryan Anderson.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

The three free agent targets I like over the next two years are Rodney Hood (Mississippi man), Kelly Olynk and Otto Porter (Sikeston, Missouri man). They all have club options for next year.  Hood at 6 million is a sure bet to opt out. Olynk at 13.5 million is a 50/50. Porter at 27.5 million is unlikely but you never know. Either way, you have a 2-3 year free agency window to sign guys. I like these guys cause they are not considered defensive liabilities and can shoot.

I hope they dont tie big dollars in shooters that cant defend like a Beasley, Joe Harris, or Bodganovic (love his offense though). Or worse a stretch big that cant defend. Looks good at first, but you eventually regret these deals when its time to win in the playoffs. Like the Rockets did with Ryan Anderson.

What’s the story with Porter’s injury/ies? He seemed durable first few seasons but last season and this one seems he’s been off. 

13 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

I think a first for Iggy is a long shot.

I think taking on matching salaries for an expiring deal is a lot so the least the team deserves is a first round pick!

7 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I think taking on matching salaries for an expiring deal is a lot so the least the team deserves is a first round pick!

I hope your are correct.

I don't see it, unless the pick is very bottom of the round, but we will see.

12 hours ago, Dwash said:

Well we can go back to Kyle at SF since you and a few otherd said he was a better player for the position than Crowder all Summer long. Lol.

But yeah, we would have several months to figure it out. You hopefully get a prospect in the trade (like Little) and another pick where maybe you can draft one or two wings this Summer. Then you have the chance to absorb a bad contract who maybe still useful on a short term basis. Always a few of them moving. Then there is free agency. Plenty of chances here to get/develop wings so not losing sleep over Crowder. Getting his value up and trading him should have always been the plan and its working beautifully.

I think he has as strong a case as Jae.  They have different skills.  I'm okay with Jae starting at this point, but I wish his shot wasn't so sporadic.

If we make a deal I just hope it brings back some solid two-way prospects.

Assuming Josh Jackson doesn't stick, Rodney hood would be a great option for us. He's an okay defender at least, and he's incredibly efficient this year on offense. We should have drafted him. 

21 hours ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Zach lavine and Markanen may be on the trade block 

.....Or the coach and/or GM might get fired first.

I can't see LaVine getting traded, no way.

Markkanen has been very disappointing this season, though

Davis Bertans is the top of my list in free agency. He would be a perfect pairing with any of our 3 bigs because he can stretch the floor better than just about anyone else in the NBA. He's not terrible on defense either as well.