Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agency Thread

1 hour ago, QMemphis said:

I hope we don’t go after Beasley but I’m sure we will smh. But his latest efforts should lower his value. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tmz.com/2019/10/20/sua-cravens-malik-beasley-fight-apartment-lobby-video/

i look for four boxes to check out of a wing. Shooting, defense, creating your own shot one on one, creating for others. To me he only satisfies one of these boxes (shooting). Im concerned about any player with athleticism who is known as a poor defender. (eg. Ben Mclemore, Jarell Martin, Stromile Swift types...usually low IQ.  You have to be smart to play good defense). Thats a big mental red flag. Just think 20m plus could be better spent in the long run.

19 minutes ago, Dwash said:

i look for four boxes to check out of a wing. Shooting, defense, creating your own shot one on one, creating for others. To me he only satisfies one of these boxes (shooting). Im concerned about any player with athleticism who is known as a poor defender. (eg. Ben Mclemore, Jarell Martin, Stromile Swift types...usually low IQ.  You have to be smart to play good defense). Thats a big mental red flag. Just think 20m plus could be better spent in the long run.

Agree we should not be the market of overpaying other teams bench players who are only marginally decent impact players. 

On 10/21/2019 at 5:01 AM, smit-tay griz said:

When did we ever have Tyler Ennis?  You're not mixing him up with James, are you?

Why yes, yes I am.

On 10/21/2019 at 4:44 AM, BigHunkALove said:

Dion Waiters is on the block.

With an equal salary to Solo Hill....

Would rather have the expiring contract of Solomon Hill. 

Waiters is among a group of players who don't realize that their behavior now is impacting their future compensation.  

However, I don't rule out Miami for an AI trade if they can get started well.  I don't know what they have for future draft picks, but I would imagine Waiters would be part of that deal (plus a future pick or two).

3 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Would rather have the expiring contract of Solomon Hill. 

Waiters is among a group of players who don't realize that their behavior now is impacting their future compensation.  

However, I don't rule out Miami for an AI trade if they can get started well.  I don't know what they have for future draft picks, but I would imagine Waiters would be part of that deal (plus a future pick or two).

If they give us a lighted protected 1st Im all for it

3 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

If they give us a lighted protected 1st Im all for it

Yes, but the problem is Miami doesn't have picks to give.

Miami's 2021 and 2023 are outgoing, and the 2023 has protection on it through 2025.  Since they can't do consecutive years, I think it would mean a 2nd round pick, but they don't have a bunch of those for a while either.

I think the Grizzlies and Atlanta Hawks are sitting pretty with their expiring deals and 2020 cap space, especially if the China thing actually does lower the cap/lux tax.

That space should allow for some pretty decent deals to be done in the Grizzlies favor, if they want to use it for future picks instead of free agents.

40 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Yes, but the problem is Miami doesn't have picks to give.

Miami's 2021 and 2023 are outgoing, and the 2023 has protection on it through 2025.  Since they can't do consecutive years, I think it would mean a 2nd round pick, but they don't have a bunch of those for a while either.

I think the Grizzlies and Atlanta Hawks are sitting pretty with their expiring deals and 2020 cap space, especially if the China thing actually does lower the cap/lux tax.

That space should allow for some pretty decent deals to be done in the Grizzlies favor, if they want to use it for future picks instead of free agents.

I cant see them giving Bam or Hero, I really slept on the kid on draft, he probably will become better than Devin Booker 

Man the Rockets looked flamed out. Would love to get that first from them for Jae Crowder.  Could be a mid first rounder.

3 hours ago, Dwash said:

Man the Rockets looked flamed out. Would love to get that first from them for Jae Crowder.  Could be a mid first rounder.

Agree. They might take AI off our hands though? 

not related but painful - suns are looking pretty good and why tf did we not want to give up bricks for Oubre again:/

3 hours ago, On My Grizzlie said:

Even jevon is looking really solid for the Suns, but i know why we did the trade.I just want us to actually use Josh

I noticed this too. Way early in the year but Jevon has a 12.42  PER. Surprising.

On 10/22/2019 at 5:40 PM, Ja_Rules said:

I cant see them giving Bam or Hero, I really slept on the kid on draft, he probably will become better than Devin Booker 

Herro was who I wanted with our late first rounder but Miami took him earlier than expected 

7 hours ago, On My Grizzlie said:

Even jevon is looking really solid for the Suns, but i know why we did the trade.I just want us to actually use Josh

3 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

I noticed this too. Way early in the year but Jevon has a 12.42  PER. Surprising.

I said we gave up on him way to early

15 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Herro was who I wanted with our late first rounder but Miami took him earlier than expected 

I admit I didn't see he would produce this way, he is just what we need in the sG position. I was totally on NAW bandwagon

Suns got rid of selfish losers like Jackson and Warren and loaded up with good IQ players. Seems to be working wonderfully and now folks can quit talking about how the Suns can never win because of their "culture" (lol) and how they are stuck in permanent rebuild just like they did with the Kings last year.

No the Grizzlies do not have to be annual losers because they chose to rebuild. Yes it can be turned around with solid moves. Not just talent. But smart players.

1 hour ago, Ja_Rules said:

I said we gave up on him way to early

funny, i watched the suns last night and didn't think he looked that good. COnstantly overplaying on defense and getting screened and putting his team in scramble situations

1 hour ago, Ja_Rules said:

I admit I didn't see he would produce this way, he is just what we need in the sG position. I was totally on NAW bandwagon

Herro looks good. I'd still rather have brandon clarke.

3 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

funny, i watched the suns last night and didn't think he looked that good. COnstantly overplaying on defense and getting screened and putting his team in scramble situations

I like him, he is like a small P Beverly. Even Ja said he was the player who game him more trouble.

16 hours ago, Dwash said:

That's exactly what people said this time last year...only for them to finish one made bucket from 2nd seed. At this point I don't think they'll make a move for Crowder/Iggy unless a third team gets involved. Especially for Iggy. He's not worth going 20 million into the luxury tax for.

8 hours ago, Dwash said:

Suns got rid of selfish losers like Jackson and Warren and loaded up with good IQ players. Seems to be working wonderfully and now folks can quit talking about how the Suns can never win because of their "culture" (lol) and how they are stuck in permanent rebuild just like they did with the Kings last year.

No the Grizzlies do not have to be annual losers because they chose to rebuild. Yes it can be turned around with solid moves. Not just talent. But smart players.

It's 3 games into the season champ,  let's talk about this at the end of the year

Ok. I’m still going to support the squad for this year but I’m out on us ever winning again, this year. So my top free agent picks for the summer are:

Joe Harris (throw the WHOLE bag at him)

Davis Bertans (throw him the medium bag)

Rodney Hood

Mario Hezonja 

Jordan Bell

With a long shot on Malik Beasley. 

Joe Harris and Davis Bertans are the key IMO. The Spurs may not always have won with talent but they’ve always had a stable of shooters. With Ja and to an equal extent Jaren there will be a premium on space. We need to get ours. 

22 minutes ago, King Dork said:

Ok. I’m still going to support the squad for this year but I’m out on us ever winning again, this year. So my top free agent picks for the summer are:

Joe Harris (throw the WHOLE bag at him)

Davis Bertans (throw him the medium bag)

Rodney Hood

Mario Hezonja 

Jordan Bell

With a long shot on Malik Beasley. 

Joe Harris and Davis Bertans are the key IMO. The Spurs may not always have won with talent but they’ve always had a stable of shooters. With Ja and to an equal extent Jaren there will be a premium on space. We need to get ours. 

Those two with a stud wing would be a monster offseason.

On 10/22/2019 at 11:51 AM, Dwash said:

We whiffed on that guy when we let Kelly Oubre go to keep Dillon Brooks. Terrible move. 

I don’t think we’ll find that guy in Free Agency. We’ll either have to draft him or trade for him.